What is a good class for a new player please?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nurgles Socks.2496

Nurgles Socks.2496

I made an elementalist and a thief but I’m thinking theres probably a better class for starting out. I heard warriors are a lot more fun in gw2 than in other games due to how weapons and skills work differently. I really don’t know what I want to go with first.

Vapour Snake – TEEF – GODS – RoF EU

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Try ranger. It’s an easy class to start with and to get familiar with the game.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

When I was new I had best luck with Guardian to get used to the game. They have good survivability and are not too complex. I’ve moved on to main a Mesmer since then but the Guardian helped me past the initial learning curve.

The Burninator

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

Guardian without a doubt. Warrior is right there with it. Elementalist was my first class and I struggled at lvl 41, switched to guard and went through the entire game and had a lot more fun. Now Ele and Mes are my fav classes, but I def wouldnt of gotten into this game if I didnt roll guard

Nurgles Socks.2496

thank you guys. i think I’ll roll a guardian and a warrior and see what I like best.

any suggestions on races for those classes as well please?

Also, any good EU guilds for a playing just starting out? I am mainly just wanting to meet people to play with me and talk too while I’m playing right now.

JustTrogdor.7892

Race doesn’t matter much outside of the first parts of the personal story because the skills assigned to each race are not really worth much and that’s by design. So go with what race you prefer as far as appearance and story line.

As far as guild, try the looking for sub-forum.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/community/lookingfor

The Burninator

Nurgles Socks.2496

I actually like the idea of the ranger a lot after looking through them, is it similar to the ranger in WoW? Is the guardian class the healer?

Nurgles Socks.2496

I have never played as a healer before so guardian is rather appealing too.

JustTrogdor.7892

I don’t suggest ranger as a starting profession simply because in my opinion it teaches the new player some habits that can be considered bad later on in the game. It is a great profession for solo play but it is also too easy to get comfortable sitting back with your pet on agro and “pew pewing” with your long bow. This is not something that is desirable in many aspects of the game. However, if you want to just run around and check things out for a start then it is not a bad profession as long as you don’t get used to what I described earlier.

As for healer, there is no trinity in GW2, every profession can do a bit of everything. However, Guardians do offer great support skills in group events and are often highly sought after.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: Jermoe Morrow.9501

Jermoe Morrow.9501

Guardian has healing and buffing of party to a degree, but there are no healers in gw2. Still more a tank. Guardians are faceroll easy to play through allot of combat, and desirable all groups. Ranger while fun and useful, has an incredibly bad rep because of all the newbs who play out, and is somewhat underpowered in pvp.

I should point out that racial skills are generally underpowered, but they can be desirable and/or fun in certain situations. I for one hate the guardians best heal, shelter, and prefer to use the human racial skill “prayer to dwayna”, and summoning the hounds of Balthazar as a guardian feels extra right.

For ranger: all the norn skills summon animals or turn them into one(something to consider for the coming introduction of druids if you want that wow flavor) making then a fun thematic choice for when you are messing around. Sylvari have a number of viney/plant skills that fit well with ranger, including a single target entangle.

80s(name-race/class):Jermoe Morrow(main) – H/Ra
Blue Dorito-S/Re|Transitor-S/En |Tina Feyspirit-N/M|
Bmoe-A/T|Peter Whatsherface-H/G|Acolyte Rin-H/N

Nurgles Socks.2496

I made a female human guardian, noble background, blonde so nordic looking. i am a man but I seem drawn to making hot girl characters these days. Think I’ll make a male of one of the Xeno races though.

The guardian seems fun so far and I like the idea of hammers and stuff for weapons too. i’m already a ton more excited about this than I was when i tired WoW last year, this game is so pretty for an MMO especially.

PS: you think this game will ever be on steam?

(edited by Nurgles Socks.2496)

JustTrogdor.7892

Good luck with your new Guardian. A lot of people seem to prefer Human or Norn female characters so that isn’t anything unusual. Also I forgot to mention these threads which you might find useful as you begin your adventures:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/OMG-If-you-only-knew-this-tips-for-new-players/

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/GW2-Combat-system-101-Guide/

And lastly the Players Helping Players forum is a great place for further advice on game play:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players

Have fun.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Nurgles Socks.2496

thanks for the links, I will save them somewhere.

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

Race doesn’t matter much. Some people find playing larger races feel like they run slow (charr and somewhat norn) they obviously aren’t running slower but it feels that way which can be annoying.

Also asura being smaller means it’s harder to see their armor and weapons.

You may also want to check out heavy cultural armor for each race. Slyvari have cool glow and can look really cool if done right. The human cultural armor also looks really Paladine like. That is really what you want to consider when choosing a race.

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

Race doesn’t matter much outside of the first parts of the personal story because the skills assigned to each race are not really worth much and that’s by design. So go with what race you prefer as far as appearance and story line.

As far as guild, try the looking for sub-forum.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/community/lookingfor

Racial skills. At present, guard has no real ranged weapon (but will soon) so many have picked Charr for the Charzooka on elite skill. When I used to run dungeons, especially in AC, it was very useful for like killing wall turrets in that spider room. Not a strong weapon, but better than just standing there watching everyone else do the work.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Racial_skill
Yes, Warrior and Guard are excellent starting professions.

Posted by: Altair.8402

Altair.8402

Just two notes:

Ranger is very beginner friendly, but don’t get in the mindset that a ranger must only use “ranged” weapons. Longbow is perfectly fine, but do familiarize yourself with a melee weapon and dodging (which are much more valuable in some content later on).

Guardians aren’t healers or tanks in the WoW sense. They’re good in melee and provide a lot of defensive support, but aren’t designed to passively sustain attacks or provide outgoing healing.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

In general, the hunter and warrior classes are usually the easiest to play in MMOs. The warrior class generally has a basic and base design while the hunter class can rely on pets.

In GW2, the ranger is the easiest class to play. The pet will simply tank for you, allowing you to casually play through the game. However, doing that will likely create bad habits. To be decent, you’ll need to learn to be mobile, evade attacks and dodge when necessary. Play a warrior.

Posted by: King Noob IV.3560

King Noob IV.3560

warrior is the easiest class in the game, but the most boring unless you’re brand new. so try that out, then go onto other classes and never play warrior again

D/D Elementalist takes no skill but is good at everything in the game.
Mesmer is unfun to play against and does everything better than thieves.
Hoping those two get gutted with nerfs

Posted by: Boro.7359

Boro.7359

If you do group support in group events you are doing it wrong. All you should focus on is damage, tagging as many mobs as you can, and blasting fire fields, when possible. You get nothing for healing, you get nothing for applying group protection, regeneration, or might. You get rewards for damage and damage only. The fewer players you have to compete with for the mobs, the better. You can rez them later.

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

guardian or warrior

both very easy to play and also very popular in pve end game (and pvp too)

you could play ranger too i guess since the playstyle is very easy but

1) it is almost too easy and can get boring if you stay ranged all the time and just pew pew with longbow
and if you go melee only then other classes would be better than ranger

2) you wont be wanted in groups that much later… ranger can do fine in dungeons and fractals but many pugs often just search for warrior/guardian/ele/thief
so that might downgrade your game experience a bit later

if you plan on playing gw2 for longer you can easily try out ranger later
but for your first class i would recommend Warrior or Guardian if you need an easy but valuable class

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Posted by: Jelle.2807

Jelle.2807

Warrior ranger and necromancer are all fairly straightforward and robust professions. Good if you want to keep things simple, should be good for new players.

As for the other professions, elementalist engineer and revenant feel more like high apm ones with lots of combos and skill usage if that’s what you prefer. Mesmer thief and guardian are more nuanced professions, mostly.

Nurgles Socks.2496

I’m liking the guardian, gonna make a warrior too. probably won’t bother with hunter then.

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

this game wont ever be on steam. Its already sold over 7 million copies and counting, it doesnt need it and NCSoft doesnt want their games on there unless they have too.

Avoid the Ranger, its a great class, but the simple way to play it will teach you things that arent good for groups. When you get better at the game the Ranger will open up to you and youll understand what we mean now.

Race means nothing besides look, personally I have something of every race. I some reason love sylvari these days but I always switch.

Enjoy the game and take your time

Posted by: Crystallize.8603

Crystallize.8603

Warrior.
15 chars.

Can mods please stop locking threads that are constructive.
Just delete posts that are derailments.

Nurgles Socks.2496

I get what you guys mean about the ranger as you have a pet to tank for you while you used ranged and never learn all the dodge mechanics and how to support and heal and stuff too. does the game teach you this stuff through your personal questline?

Nurgles Socks.2496

I also heard making a Guardian character with the beast race will be viable as guardians are gonna get ranged weapons soon and that means you get to use their bazooka. I read it somewhere, not sure if it’s viable info though.

I seen videos of warriors and guardians too and I must say I liked the look of the guardian just from watching someone else play. I have never played as a warrior in an MMO before, I normally pick Mage type characters or as a Rouge in a game like Elder Scrolls (I have the MMO as well, it’s actually alright but haven’t really played much as GW2 has been on my mind for years now)

(edited by Nurgles Socks.2496)

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

Race does matter.

If you pick Norn or Charr there are quite a number of spots in the game you will have a very hard time in due to the model size and poor design on A-Nets part. you will get stuck quite a bit.

In contrast, I know of only 2 spots in the entire game where there are jumps which Asuras can not make but all the other races can, and no spots whatsoever that humans get stuck on.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

Race does matter.

If you pick Norn or Charr there are quite a number of spots in the game you will have a very hard time in due to the model size and poor design on A-Nets part. you will get stuck quite a bit.

In contrast, I know of only 2 spots in the entire game where there are jumps which Asuras can not make but all the other races can, and no spots whatsoever that humans get stuck on.

Actually the hit boxes are all the same size. As in a char can go anywhere an asura can go. And with the camera update larger races can adjust their camera for jumping puzzles to make it easier to see.

Nurgles Socks.2496

My friends at the thieves guild say I should stick with thief as if I can play as a thief then the other classes will be easy to me. i’ve also been promised legendary daggers and s et of “berzerkers” (whatever the hell that is) When I get to level 80 so I’d say that’s probably pretty high intensive to stick with the Thief. I think I will level my thief and another like war or guard parallel so if i do have problems with the thief I have a back up, simpler to use toon.

I have been practising with the skills I have at level 3 and I can take on groups of mobs on my own using dodge to my advantage and poisoning and using that jump attack to finish off fleeing non TEEF’s. I also have my legacy armour on my thief now and it looks awesome. Only wish I’df never opened my skins box as it’s taking up way too much room in my box :’(