What is going on? Why is GW2 so boring?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shadowsrb.6241

Shadowsrb.6241

You made lvl9,for which u need like hour to make,and u decide to write a post about how game is boring,I dont understand this posts,like u never played mmo…or those guys saying lvling is hard in this easiest game for lvling.Gw2 is not multiplayer mod,its mmo.Game have its problem in end game,but instead ppl spaming some no seance about low lvls.Google about what is mmo and how works,its stupid to compare it to singleplayer,its just different type of game.

Posted by: That ol noob.7083

That ol noob.7083

Try high-level fractals. Grind to lvl 80 and the real fun starts.

Want a guild in which you actually have a vote?
Contact me and see if you are eligible for Council of Dusk [Dusk]

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

My question at this point is, playing normally (i.e. not taking off armor, using the best items available, etc.), at what point does the game because challenging/more difficult in PvE in reflection of games like WoW, SWtoR and some of the games I’ve mentioned? Lvl 20? 30? This will be the deciding factor if I should stick around.

Thanks again for the help.

Legitimately speaking, the answer is never. If you’re a skilled player this game will never be particularly hard. This game isn’t designed like those games. Gear is not important. You can make the best gear in the game and there isn’t a treadmill. More than that, you don’t need the best gear in quality nor level in order to be fully successful in anything but high level Fractals.

That is the only place in the whole game you’re likely to run into a challenge. If you want required group layouts to complete content, or gear treadmills, or any of the things you find in a Trinity Themepark game, you will not find it here.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: hildegain.2106

hildegain.2106

I have a level 9 sylvari and all I can say is this game is INCREDIBLY, INCREDIBLY, INCREDIBLY, INCREDIBLY EASY and BORING!

This is all anyone needs to read. The game isn’t supposed to be hard when you’re barely out of a starter zone meant to teach people new to these games.

WoW was one of the easiest games I ever played. Even back in Vanilla. GW2 at least when you start getting to the higher level dungeons, world events, world bosses and fractals is easily more challenging.

Thing is though. MMOs aren’t for people in love with difficulty sliders and challenging themselves. Wildstar was a fair amount tougher (once upon a time) but I think even that game is being nerfed hard into the floor (much like WoW) for its F2P release.

Don’t come here as a level 9 bragging about how easy the game is though. Nobody ever said this was dark souls at level 10.

If you really think this game is easy. Reach at least fractal level 50 and complete all the exploration paths in dungeons. Then get the world boss achievements. It’s not that hard. True. But it’s also not that easy and it’s very much harder than WoW ever was. You thought WoW was challenging!? HA!

(edited by hildegain.2106)

Posted by: ShelBlackblood.7826

ShelBlackblood.7826

I love the quest systems in most mmorpgs because they add to the world….snip
snip….That’s just one small part of a huge masterfully worked world.

That’s wonderful, honestly. It shows how much you care for the game and that you really enjoy your time in Tyria. Looking behind the main story and picking up little details which can tell you more about the lore or are simply funny/sad/scary adds much to a virtual world. Same thing with exploring zones without anyone pushing you to do so (like NPE does…sometimes). I walked around Lions Arch and many other places, talked to NPCs wherever I found someone interesting myself (that Zentaur in old LA or several skritt kings for example).
Creating own restrictions to make the game more difficult is also nothing new to me, I did that way back when playing Pokemon Rubin (GBA). I only allowed myself to use grass Pokemon, which was a pain against fire, ice, fly and dragon types but I somehow managed to finish the game. Groudon grilled my team many, many times though xD

Here is where I disagree:

in the linear quest single player games you go from point A to point B to point C etc. you dont have to find your own way. to me that is an extremly boring stupid game but somehow people shell out the bucks for those games over and over. it may be elitest but yeah i question the intelligence / creativity / imagination level of those types of consumers. to be blunt they’re too limited to even understand the concept of what gw2 or for that matter all mmorpgs is all about.

Everyone has different tastes, questioning someone else’s intelligence, creativity or imagination level for something so simple as that is just rude. There are plenty of game masterpieces that guide you from A to B to C and they do it so perfectly and interesting that most players just don’t mind about it. I never liked The Witcher series and wasn’t a huge fan from Skyrim, but I absolutely love Morrowind or Final Fantasy IV. Does this make me uncreative or unintelligent? I like Guild Wars 1 side-quests because almost all of them add info to the main story, mentioning many NPCs you meet in your journey (yes, not just hacking bandits) – but at the same time, they are 100% optional. You can finish the VERY challenging GW1 Prophecies campaign while ignoring almost all side quests. Do I have a low imagination level now because I don’t “find the stories on my own” but prefer to be led to them? Think about that again, please.

coming here to complain about how “easy” it is is tantamount to bragging about how awesome you are and how this game and all who play it is beneath you. I have to wave the bs banner on that. if you just don’t get it its a failure on your part not the game.

Just hoping you talk to the OP here, since my main C just celebrated her third birthday ingame. – you can stop reading here if you spoke about the OP – That means I had 3 years time to think about “Is GW2 easy or difficult?” and I got to the conclusion: “In most PVE areas, it IS too easy”. Again, just try playing GW1 as halfe-*ssed as GW2. “Oh that enemy group is no deal for me, I will just pass them by” – Muhahaha noooo, they won’t let you. The last Prophecies mission kills your party instantly for a mistake like this and you have to redo the whole mission (playing with NPCs only, but still). I’m still stuck at “The Eternal Grove”, the hardest mission I ever faced in a MMO.

My point is: Even if a game is too unchallenging for you, if it can provide you with a good motivation until you reach max level (which did the personal story for many vets) you might find the game mode that is the most fun for you as soon as you reach the level to enter them. In the OP case, it might be PVP, maybe even WvW, Fractals and TT. To tell him to go leave GW2 because he doesn’t “understand” the game is unpleasant and throws a bad light on the whole community. And this comes from me, THE ONE who usually complains about all little things :)

sorry for the essay :o

Posted by: Ox See Sox.3687

Ox See Sox.3687

GW2 is very diferente from other games.

In general games like u said u gotta get gear, fight your way trough the maps, and grind each level.
You wont find this in the game, cause their intention is to explore, more life a free game, killing for example is the lowest EXP u can get in this game.
Its more like, climb a mountain, see a view, help npcs, participate in na event.

The “core” map of tyria, except for 2 dungeons is very easy overall. HoT will introduce the first hard content.

The most expensive itens will be fashion oriented, not stats oriented, and max gear is very easy to get.

Hope you enjoy the game, its something we cant really talk you into, you gotta play and say to yourself: i like, i dont like.

You said u like difficult content on leveling, partying each map, for example.

I dont like that stuff, i played WoW for a week and god….i hated it…….and most of the games are all the same……kill kill kill kill…….

So its really a diferente game from all the others u are used to, and if u play this game like u normally would…..indeed u wont find what is good about it…..

But like ppl said, i suggest u play SPvP and WvW (lvl 60).

Brains > Brawls
So Much Blur

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

As far as pve is concerned, gw2 is more difficult for me to play than daoc is, primarily due to the Dodge mechanic.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

I noticed I’ve been getting bored with Gw2 as of late myself….and I think I know why, I don’t have a goal right now. Beforehand I had the goal of getting all the Arah armor for my necromancer, helping my friend make a legendary, getting map completion, Etc Etc. right now though I’m sort of at a loss on what to do. Though I will say I have been having some fun with helping F2P players just coming into the game, haha, it’s funny watching a group of them take on like the queen when of the Wolfpack in the norn starting area.

Note I’m not saying I don’t like that the game isn’t forcing me into doing something to get to the next step, I’m just saying it’s like trying to find something new at a restaurant you’ve been going to every week since you were a kid…..if that makes any sense whatsoever.

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

Posted by: StrangerDanger.3496

StrangerDanger.3496

I sort of agree with the OP here, the game is incredibly easy. Not just with killing things, but leveling as well…the hardest thing in game are those jump puzzles which isn’t a good kind of difficult…more a frustrating type.

I however, don’t feel its really that bad of a thing tbh.

I started a few days ago, I have died but usually from yoloing into areas then deciding after a train of mobs is on me that “yeah ill actually kill these guys now” and there happens to be a veteran in pack. Think I have more falling deaths than combat though.

I don’t see the ease of combat and ease of progress really that big of a problem…that’s the type of game this is, fast track you to the endgame, where hopefully WVW and pvp is the high skill threshold content.

I don’t mind having hard pve content, however, in their lust to buck mmo trends and remove a lot of typical mmorpg BS, they removed a solid trinity system, which is the foundation of hard pve content….otherwise its just a dodge/focus dps event, which doesn’t take all that much skill to do (not that trinity offers skills just more defined and specific roles to master)

The difficulty in pve is there…you just have to be below level for the content a few levels…which isn’t easy to achieve as ill level up just roaming around doing kittenall other than wandering.

I would suggest a leveling mode called hardcore. Level scales to -1 or so below content, add a few stat nerfs for the mode, keep statistics (combat deaths fall deaths and time to clear) per map, rank people. Then offer something special for going that route. Ive had to use all my skills when I wandered to the next zone 3 levels below or more, and it was difficult….but that was an accident, and if you 100% clear maps youll be scaled but still above when you move on…and heaven forbid if you craft or pvp any youll be way over level….not that it matters with scaling but still…not easy staying a few below level.

Otherwise I do find the game very…relaxing…which is good…due to its ease of combat, ease of leveling, and multiple progression options that are all very powerful in leveling.

Just add a hardcore mode, make it a try-hard competition…I know I would redo some maps on it to see how quickly I could clear the heart quests, or however they want to do it…

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

I have a level 9 sylvari and all I can say is this game is INCREDIBLY, INCREDIBLY, INCREDIBLY, INCREDIBLY EASY and BORING!

This is all anyone needs to read. The game isn’t supposed to be hard when you’re barely out of a starter zone meant to teach people new to these games.

Except this mind-numbingly easy content is the first thing players like the OP see. The game doesn’t teach you anything except how to spam 1. Oh sure, it shows you how to dodge, but you really don’t need to even do it until much later levels and even then…

Regardless, I think OP has a valid point about being bored so early in the game. In fact, I’ve seen quite a number of similar complaints in the Plains of Ashford recently, on an alt Charr I’m leveling. If a game’s content isn’t engaging a person in the early game, why would they stick around? Do you continue watching a boring movie after 30 minutes? I don’t.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Except this mind-numbingly easy content is the first thing players like the OP see. The game doesn’t teach you anything except how to spam 1. Oh sure, it shows you how to dodge, but you really don’t need to even do it until much later levels and even then…

Regardless, I think OP has a valid point about being bored so early in the game. In fact, I’ve seen quite a number of similar complaints in the Plains of Ashford recently, on an alt Charr I’m leveling. If a game’s content isn’t engaging a person in the early game, why would they stick around? Do you continue watching a boring movie after 30 minutes? I don’t.

How is this different than any other game, though? I can’t think of one MMO that I didn’t think was head-bashingly easy until much later into the game.

Most people, when starting a new MMO, focus less on how easy the beginning starter areas are and more on the lore, environment, whether or not they like the combat style, cosmetics, etc.

It’s definitely odd for someone to start a brand new MMO and then complain at how easy it is. Of course its easy! They are all easy in the beginning, which translates into boring for the OP.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Zeppelin.6832

Zeppelin.6832

Did you stop playing DOTA2 because the tutorial was boring?

Posted by: Aenesthesia.1697

Aenesthesia.1697

Boring? Not for me. Oh – just level 9 and making judgments lol.

It’s not hard, but surely not boring. You’ve seen almost nothing at level 9. To be fair you should play at least to level 71 to play fully traited, better yet to 80.

So, how many hours do you have to play before the game gets interesting? 20? 30? 40? Asking anybody to invest so much in a game they don’t find fun, is asking them to waste their time.

This game’s open world pve is mind numbingly easy. To the point that the first dungeon looks like a great challenge.

Other games scale in difficulty fairly quickly, so you don’t completely suck when you enter the first dungeon. Not the case with GW2.

And people who suck because all they do is autoattack think the better parts of the game are “too hard”.

On top of that, most skills are situational, and not really needed in pve (or sometimes completely unwanted). This makes pve more of a thing of positioning, dodging, and autoattacking.

PvP is the game mode that provides the situations in which most skills have a use, and the only really challenging stuff, excepting a few oddballs (Liadri, Arah, some of the achievements of LS season 2, high level fractals (39 is particularly fun))

Posted by: Vieux P.1238

Vieux P.1238

Unfortunately the OP’s is right. It has bin said many times before. Especially by the hardcore players that have bin loyal for the last 3 years. The Pve content has bin just terribly boring or at least not exiting. In that aspect, they really need to amp not only the content & story telling, but the way it’s delivered. For me it was more the way they told the story that was badly delivered.

Example: Lions Arch attack.
Great concept that in my view was badly presented. I would of done it so differently to create a full on impact to the players experience. The over all story was ok. My problem was with the delivery.

Imagine the players experience instead of promoting for the last few weeks the events that’s about to occur they left that quiet. & instead, promots Lions Arch anniversary where diplomats & vip’s wood gather round with word of a great announcement that would change the world. Or something in does lines. Basically creating hype so players wouldn’t miss it.

Imagine everybody comfy & doing small fun events completely unaware of the impending attack. diplomats gathering & about to make there announcement. Then Boom! the Attack! cinematics & everything. Watch players & guilds run around trying to understand whats going on. & as they are runing from area to area around Lions Arch, In cinematics have buildings & monuments burn & crash & crumble in front of there eyes. There’s the impact! Ppl registers at them moments that LA is destroyed for real.

Should of bin something like that. but instead it felt more like poof, destroyed, there you go. No real build up & no real emotional follow up. they really need to work on that.

Posted by: RoffleMyWaffles.1295

RoffleMyWaffles.1295

@Devata
Part of the problem is that without adversary you cannot have rewarding gameplay moments. You need to have some – even if faked – sense of danger. GW2 frequently lacks this until lvl40+ or so when you start to run into some of the zones where you can actually die.

This. This all day, every day.

There is no sense of reward, no sense of hard-work, no sense of challenge and no sense of danger. I’m running around in a thief outfit that looks like it came from a homeless shelter with a scrub dagger, but whacking everything like I’m a demi-god that’s constantly 20 levels higher than everything else. And this is how the PvE content is roughly through the entire course of the game? Seriously? If I’m stomping on everything, endlessly, and not even trying….what’s the point? The next thing I might stumble across is how easy it is to get the best loot, though hopefully not!

I don’t understand how this game is so popular. And I really, honestly mean that.

(edited by RoffleMyWaffles.1295)

Posted by: Natto.5819

Natto.5819

I used to be a new player once. Your “too easy” goes away at high levels. There are some Champ bosses that will make you cry if you try to wack them solo like a Demi God.

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

If you want a challenge while leveling, just focus s on fighting through zones above your level. Or heck, pop over to WvW and roam around behind enemy lines. Once you hit 80, you can try working your way up through Fractals, or you could even try to solo dungeons. There are even some champions roaming around the open world which are a challenge to solo.

The base content is designed in such a way that it is easy to suceed if you follow the level suggestions. However, it’s easy enough to challenge yourself by intentionally biting off more than you can chew.

The starting zones are never going to be challenging for a skilled gamer. They’re basically an extended tutorial aimed at newbies just getting the hang of pressing multiple buttons. It makes no sense to judge the game’s difficulty off its tutorial.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

(edited by Blaine Tog.8304)

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Any chance the dev’s will nerf the difficulty so it’s more difficult throughout the whole game?

I doubt it, since that seems to be the market Anet want to appeal to. Frankly, lots of games are easy to level in now, because for some reason, people think the end game is more interesting.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

and no its not bad design to create an open world without direction – its open world – its an mmorpg not a single person linear game. its a different mindset – its a different kind of game – it doesnt hold your hand and tell you where to go you have to make….dunh dunh dunnnnnh DECISIONS either you like open world or you dont. sounds like the majority of posters on this thread need to go back to their console single player games where content is set out in a tidy neat fashion for them to mindlessly consume untill they reach the end and become real winners.

in open world you have to provide a lot of you’re own entertainment and goals – not everyone likes that. then they come whine and complain on the forums – ignore the whiners and complainers gw2 is pretty cool if you can provide even a small amount of imagination. I know its hard for the kitten kitten mindset of the main stream to grasp that.

a well designed open world game generally starts with a compelling narrative then sends you out into the open word with a general purpose and reasoning. They also generally have a main plotline to pursue at your leisure
Skyrim is a perfect example.

you start out with a compelling high drama story, then they tell you to go talk to this guy. You can go off and explore OR YOU CAN GO TALK TO THAT GUY.

open world doesnt mean your required to do everything in the map to progress, it means you can choose what to do, and when to do it. And it doesnt mean there is no guiding plotlines/quests.

what you are talking about is a bad execution of an open world game.

well after you finish the first story line thing you can DO THAT HEART QUEST AND TALK TO THAT GUY or you can go explore maybe TALK TO THAT HEART QUEST GUY or go explore then when you get to level 10 you get a mail and YOU CAN GO TALK TO THAT GUY there is plenty of guidance in the starting levels you sound like you’re complaining for the sake of complaining. picking the pepper out of fly dung

you cant continue the main plotline. Talking to a farmer about some bandits that have no interaction with anything of import is a side story, not a compelling narrative.
Look at skyrim as an example of a highly successful open world game. I could go and do the main plotline, or wander off. If they forced me to complete every content in the starting area before i could procceed to the main plotline guy, that would not be a good open world design. Because its really not that open.

Posted by: Genesis.8572

Genesis.8572

I won’t try to claim GW2 is a difficult game for most of its content. But WoW? Difficult? Maybe like 5% of it, just like GW2.

This. Once upon a time, WoW had difficult open world dungeon areas with elite mobs. Those have been entirely removed. Elite status does not even seem to mean anything anymore when it comes to WoW. They can almost be a walk in the park to solo. If you die in WoW open world PvE you are doing something stupid.

Will Hawkins (Human Guardian)
Feryl Grimsteel (Charr Engineer)
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Hey everyone. I’m a new player. Before I begin my rant, let me precede by telling you the kind of games I play frequently: DoTA2, Battlefield 3 & 4, Starcraft II, Dragon Age: Origins. For single player games I play on a harder difficulty because I like challenge, and as for the others, I play PvP because I like in-depth mechanics, strategy, and a good challenge.

On to GW2. I picked this game up because my friends raved about it, and after reading the stunning reviews, I went ahead and took the plunge and bought the game. I played World of Warcraft a long time ago and thought that was a decently challenging game. But right now I have a level 9 sylvari and all I can say is this game is INCREDIBLY, INCREDIBLY, INCREDIBLY, INCREDIBLY EASY and BORING!

I am “completely” floored by how easy it is to “kill stuff”. I don’t even need to use 2, 3, or 4, all I do is walk up to stuff (that is my level or higher) and kill in 6 or less hits with auto-attack. Am I missing something here? I haven’t bought anything from the stores. Does the game get harder as you go along? Does the PvE get any better than this? My experience feels way different than everyone else, and I’m wondering if I’m doing it wrong. What exactly makes this game so great to stand out amongst the other MMO’s on the market? Maybe it isn’t for me, but judging by the reviews there’s got to be some hidden substance.

Thanks for the help.

80% of GW2 is really easy and to be fair RoffleMyWaffles it is a problem; the community has been asking for hard endgame content for a long time. The “New player experience” patch also has simplified the beginning of the game and it has not been a good change. However easy does not mean boring, and GW2 is far from being a boring game; there is so much things you can do here.

For me the core of the game always has been WvW, with PvP and GvG. This always remains challenging.

Some boss fights used to be harder, but people complained every time they failed. The good thing is that once you’ve made your first character you can level up the others with level up scrolls, so you don,t have to go through the leveling up process again.

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

I agree with OP,this game is too easy and Anet just making it worse and worse at this point.Instead of making it harder,they give’d us that NPE nonsense where they even more broke the fun aspects of this game.
As for you OP,to really know why is this game so much popular you actually need know the game,to actually reach the end game.Right now you dont know even 2% of GW2.
Gw2 is not some WOW clone that just copy – paste entire gameplay.Gw2 have best events ever seen in an MMO – if you dont trust me,just wait for halloowen.Gw2 have jumping puzzles which is also something that hes never before seen in an MMO.
Gw2 have living story which is ongoing story that is presented really well.
To know really what GW2 is about,you need months of playing to see all those differences between GW2 and other MMOs.Gw2 is popular for exact those differences that you don’t have idea about,not because of hard killing npc gameplay.

RoffleMyWaffles.1295

So after gathering 3 pages of opinions about the game, this is what someone may conclude from all the posts:

A) The majority of folks who talked about the difficulty said it was easy, even 80+ in the end game.

B) A couple others said that the game doesn’t begin to get difficult until lvl 80 and reach end-game content.

Let’s think about this logically for a second folks. At what point does the game begin to get challenging? The end game. Read that again. “At the end of the game”. You spend X amount of hours to reach the “end of the game” and then it “begins” to be challenging, with many saying that the content is still easy? That’s horrible. And the suggestions to make it challenging? Kill stuff with no armor. Essentially, I have to alter the course of the game in a way to make it challenging, by either seeking out stuff that is way outside of my level (to glimpse a fear of dying and semblance of challenge/struggle), or stripping myself of armor and looking like an un-aesthetic buttsore. Anyone seeing the disconnect like I am?

C) Heart of Thorns, the new expansion, will provide more challenging content, but again, only at the “end of the game”, and is viewed as a very “small” expansion anyway.

……

I think it’s safe to say that Guild Wars is really a noob game for casual players. If I don’t have a fear of dying (at all) and a sense of danger, that is going to completely kill immersion, and having to “alter” my basic gameplay significantly to try to have a better experience will kill immersion too.

What I don’t understand is how online reviews (like this one: http://www.pcgamer.com/guild-wars-2-review/) are not accounting for any of this mind-numbing un-immersive boringness. Did something change from it’s release in 2012 to now? There is a huge a disconnect between “glowing reviews” and what I’m experiencing.

Posted by: Ephemiel.5694

Ephemiel.5694

…..you’re lv 10 and you’re complaining that the game is too easy? That’s like saying a game is too easy when you only played the tutorial, what the heck did you expect?

MMOs aren’t for you OP, it’s as simple as that if you think this game is too easy when you pretty much did nothing but a tutorial.

“Would you kindly?”

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

Did you stop playing DOTA2 because the tutorial was boring?

I lol’d.

I can’t believe someone can muster a complaint at level 9.

You know what enhances fun? Friends!

Posted by: Leaa.2943

Leaa.2943

I have played a lot of mmo’s as well, and i have not met one single mmo that do not have a easy start area. You are lvl 9 for christ sake, what do you expect?

Level up to 80 and learn how to play your class. PvE content is old and as in any other game old content are nerfed. New content is coming, and after playing beta, at least i was facerolled a few times by the mobs with a big WTF just happen.

If you want to have challange, join pvp, this you can play full out from the time you get out of the tutorial and are based on your skills and your build. You will be as op or as bad as the guy next to you who played for 3 years, only different will be your rank, which is not effecting the game it self either, unless you like pretty finishers.
If want more pvp but in bigger scale, join world verses world, and be a part of a pvp world that goes on 24/7 with a 15 min break every friday evening (eu time)

Our dungeons have been nerfed of course, they are pretty easy if you go with a group of people that know what to do. They are horrible if you go with a group of people who are there for the first time an wonder where the tank and the healer is. If that is what you are used to, well it for sure will take you a while to figure it out. Selfawarenss and a eye on your health bar and keybind dodge, usually help you a long way. In the end you will get that if you die you die because you did something wrong. There is noone else to blame

If you want more pve and a bit harder, start level up fractals. The higher you make, the harder they are. Of couser they also been nerfed, but we will get higher ranks in fractals with the expansion, so knock your self dead at the harpies and rage your way to the top (yeah i hate the harpies)

If you are in to grinding for loot, karma gold and what not, then fighting plants in SilverWaste will make you use more then your number 1 skill. You will learn your way, but the first time there can be a bit frustrating especially if you get caught by those god kitten cows who run you over if not keeping your eyes on the screen .

In GW2 we have also had something called living story. Those are events added to the game sometimes as often as several times a month and sometimes less. With those there have been events that been pretty awsome. Some easy some more challanging. Those have not come up in a long while due to a-net working on expansion but hopefully they come again later next year.

There are also raids incoming, how those will work i guess we will find out, but they will probably be hard in the beginning.

So grow some patience and level your character and you will find your way in to the game. Don’t expect greatnes at lvl 9, that is kind of asking to much

Posted by: Hugs.1856

Hugs.1856

I wasn’t too sure if you were serious or not but reading your last post i believe you are a gigantic troll:p:p:p:p:p

Gg though for the bait! i should have listened to the gentleman below one page ago

while stomping everything like I was a lvl 40 in a level 1-10 zone.

Ok, I’m calling bunk on the OP’s entire story. First, he’s decided in just two hours from his first post that the games just not for him. He’s already complaining at lvl 9 which takes all of 30 minutes to get to. Then this quote, how would he even know what a lvl 40 would be like?

I call bunk, this is a mocked up story.

Natto.5819

So after gathering 3 pages of opinions about the game, this is what someone may conclude from all the posts:

A) The majority of folks who talked about the difficulty said it was easy, even 80+ in the end game.

B) A couple others said that the game doesn’t begin to get difficult until lvl 80 and reach end-game content.

Let’s think about this logically for a second folks. At what point does the game begin to get challenging? The end game. Read that again. “At the end of the game”. You spend X amount of hours to reach the “end of the game” and then it “begins” to be challenging, with many saying that the content is still easy? That’s horrible. And the suggestions to make it challenging? Kill stuff with no armor. Essentially, I have to alter the course of the game in a way to make it challenging, by either seeking out stuff that is way outside of my level (to glimpse a fear of dying and semblance), or stripping myself of armor and looking like an un-aesthetic buttsore. Anyone seeing the disconnect like I am?

C) Heart of Thorns, the new expansion, will provide more challenging content, but again, only at the “end of the game”, and is viewed as a very “small” expansion anyway.

……

I think it’s safe to say that Guild Wars is really a noob game for casual players. If I don’t have a fear of dying (at all) and a sense of danger, that is going to completely kill immersion, and having to “alter” my basic gameplay significantly to try to have a better experience will kill immersion too.

What I don’t understand is how online reviews (like this one: http://www.pcgamer.com/guild-wars-2-review/) Are not accounting for any of this mind-numbing un-immersive boringness. Did something change from it’s release in 2012 to now?

There are many players who QQ over a simple jumping puzzle because jumping is hard. The game is easy in the beginning to get you used to playing. Once you learn, then the game is harder. Wait until level 40 to 50, and try to solo all things then. You notice harder fights, but good players still get though.

RoffleMyWaffles.1295

…..you’re lv 10 and you’re complaining that the game is too easy? That’s like saying a game is too easy when you only played the tutorial, what the heck did you expect?

MMOs aren’t for you OP, it’s as simple as that if you think this game is too easy when you pretty much did nothing but a tutorial.

I wasn’t aware that when I was lvl 9, I was still undergoing a “tutorial”, nor was there anything to bring awareness to that fact either. At level 9 in most other games, you’re actually “doing something” and not being tutored still. Just thought I’d state that fact.

I was level 6 in ESO when I died for the first time from a boss. I needed to party up with someone in the same quest/dungeon to defeat the guy. Just a little help to get over the hump. I met a friend that day. We partied up from time to time to overcome challenges. It was fun.

As it stands in GW2 at my current level, if it continues on this track I’ll never need to group up with another soul to overcome any challenge, and neither will it be encouraged. You catch my jist and my frustration?

Natto.5819

I wasn’t aware that when I was lvl 9, I was still undergoing a “tutorial”, nor was there anything to bring awareness to that fact either. At level 9 in most other games, you’re actually “doing something” and not being tutored still. Just thought I’d state that fact.

Young players are spoiled. They need to be holding hands until lv 40, or they flood the internet with QQ. If GW2 was Nintendo hard, there would be less than half the population now. I say suck it up until you’re 20 levels higher. Try new maps and see what it’s like. Or you can go to a lv 20 map as a level 9, and see the QQ flow.

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

I would never expect for someone who has only played an mmo for at max an hour, to have such a vocal opinion already. They are even questioning reviews, despite the fact that they haven’t played the game much themselves.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: Stark.1350

Stark.1350

Get ready for the flood of kiddie WoW players.

Posted by: exp.3168

exp.3168

go play a non boring game on your phone

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

So basically the game only gets challenging with end-game content? That might sum it up for me then. To me, leveling has primarily been the experience. I remember doing quests at around lvl 20-30 in WoW and it was a challenge and getting a good party was essential in dungeons and the like, as well as getting good equipment. I liked the leveling system in WoW and how PvE was challenging no matter what level you are. I wish I could go into the settings and set the difficulty at this point lol.

Any chance the dev’s will nerf the difficulty so it’s more difficult throughout the whole game?

I’m confused because you actually said WoW leveling was challenging. I have always found it faceroll. And it still is faceroll, right up to level 100. I don’t find it any more challenging than leveling here. That’s not to say I don’t agree with you about leveling in GW2 being easy, because I actually do. They should return the difficulty to what it was in BWE 1. However, that’s most likely not going to happen and you’ll have to wait until level 80 to really meet some more difficult mobs in the open world. Good news is Verdant Brink is pretty good difficulty wise for HoT. I’m only afraid that Anet will cave in and nerf it.

(edited by xarallei.4279)

Blaine Tog.8304

Let’s think about this logically for a second folks. At what point does the game begin to get challenging? The end game. Read that again. “At the end of the game”. You spend X amount of hours to reach the “end of the game” and then it “begins” to be challenging, with many saying that the content is still easy? That’s horrible.

This is an MMORPG. You aren’t really supposed to “finish” an MMO. MMOs are a time sink, a way to while away the hours, a consistent source of moderate entertainment. “End game” in an MMO is a specific industry term that refers to the intended majority of the time you spend with the game. It takes maybe 40 hours to reach level 80 if you really meander your way there, but once you’re there, the game wants you to keep playing on that character for another 400+ hours.

And the suggestions to make it challenging? Kill stuff with no armor. Essentially, I have to alter the course of the game in a way to make it challenging, by either seeking out stuff that is way outside of my level (to glimpse a fear of dying and semblance of challenge/struggle), or stripping myself of armor and looking like an un-aesthetic buttsore. Anyone seeing the disconnect like I am?

There is no disconnect.

In a single-player game, each player can adjust the difficulty slider to match their preferred level of difficulty. In a persistent multiplayer world, though, that isn’t really possible. As such, Anet calibrated the content such that it it’s pretty easy for anyone to complete if they just stay roughly around their level. If you want more difficulty, there’s no way to increase it directly so you have to simply approach content designed for a higher difficulty level.

I think it’s safe to say that Guild Wars is really a noob game for casual players.

Hey, if you insist on playing at Easy difficulty and ignoring the ways of amping things up, that’s your call, but don’t pretend like the slider isn’t there.

What I don’t understand is how online reviews (like this one: http://www.pcgamer.com/guild-wars-2-review/) are not accounting for any of this mind-numbing un-immersive boringness. Did something change from it’s release in 2012 to now? There is a huge a disconnect between “glowing reviews” and what I’m experiencing.

Those reviewers understand how MMOs work and how the MMO designer must create an ecosystem where both casual and hardcore gamers coexist in the same persistent world. They understand that there can’t be a slider in the settings that jacks up your difficulty level, and you must instead make the conscious choice to go up against tougher content each time you play.

Posted by: Xstein.2187

Xstein.2187

The thing about gw2 is I wouldn’t really say you have reached end game content at level 80. Unlike wow, gw2 has linear leveling. This makes lvling insanely fast. The amount played by all players is different. Im at over a thousand hours but less then 200 were spent under lvl 80. Imo lvl 80 is barely a half way point. Most dungeons are half way points. End game content doesn’t come until Arah and lvl 50 fractals. Hot is just gonna add on to end game content so you cant call it end game anymore. So while some mmos might have content split for example 90 percent for under 80s and 10 percent for 80s, gw2 has it more like 40 percent for under 80s and 60 percent for 80s. Not sure if the percentages are correct but the point is just that there is a larger percent of level 80 content to reflect the linear leveling and large number of lvl 80 characters. After the expansion, the amount of lvl 80 content is also basically going to double.

Lägertha Lothbrök: PvE Mesmer
Schrödingers Clone: PvP Mesmer

(edited by Xstein.2187)

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

As it stands in GW2 at my current level, if it continues on this track I’ll never need to group up with another soul to overcome any challenge, and neither will it be encouraged. You catch my jist and my frustration?

It must be a terrible burden being the embodiment of human perfection. I don’t know how you do it. I’ve always wanted to solo dungeons and 50+ fractals (even the ones which require multiple players to flip switches simultaneously) and the Evolved Jungle Wurm (which requires all three heads to be killed at the same time) and now that you’re here I can look up to you as the shining example of how to do that. I’ll never have to relate with another human being again. Thank you for satisfying my inner loner.

Posted by: Ticky.5831

Ticky.5831

Hey everyone. I’m a new player. Before I begin my rant, let me precede by telling you the kind of games I play frequently: DoTA2, Battlefield 3 & 4, Starcraft II, Dragon Age: Origins. For single player games I play on a harder difficulty because I like challenge, and as for the others, I play PvP because I like in-depth mechanics, strategy, and a good challenge.

On to GW2. I picked this game up because my friends raved about it, and after reading the stunning reviews, I went ahead and took the plunge and bought the game. I played World of Warcraft a long time ago and thought that was a decently challenging game. But right now I have a level 9 sylvari and all I can say is this game is INCREDIBLY, INCREDIBLY, INCREDIBLY, INCREDIBLY EASY and BORING!

I am “completely” floored by how easy it is to “kill stuff”. I don’t even need to use 2, 3, or 4, all I do is walk up to stuff (that is my level or higher) and kill in 6 or less hits with auto-attack. Am I missing something here? I haven’t bought anything from the stores. Does the game get harder as you go along? Does the PvE get any better than this? My experience feels way different than everyone else, and I’m wondering if I’m doing it wrong. What exactly makes this game so great to stand out amongst the other MMO’s on the market? Maybe it isn’t for me, but judging by the reviews there’s got to be some hidden substance.

Thanks for the help.

Leveling in MMOs has been extremely easy since WoW became the flagship. If you want a difficult one, I’d suggest going back to Everquest, Final Fantasy 11 or Ultima Online.

Dungeons are a step up, lots of people still find them easy. I don’t necessarily agree, perhaps they don’t count going into the downed state as having been “beaten” like I do, I think they are generally more difficult than my experience with WoW(which spanned from late-BC to early Cata), personally having minimal problems surviving fights even without ever relying on DeadlyBossMod(people demanding I used it being the primary reason I stopped grouping and ultimately lost interest in the game).

If you read the reviews I don’t think you’ll find any mention of challenge. Though, I don’t think it was a high value feature for the reviewers. Also the story and starting area content has been re-engineered to be easier well after the reviews were written. So it may be that.

(edited by Ticky.5831)

Posted by: Khalisto.5780

Khalisto.5780

I was level 6 in ESO when I died for the first time from a boss. I needed to party up with someone in the same quest/dungeon to defeat the guy. Just a little help to get over the hump. I met a friend that day. We partied up from time to time to overcome challenges. It was fun.

They removed all champions from starter areas for lame reasons, so you wont find any till you go the lvl 15-25 maps, you cant solo most of them, you’ll need 3-4 ppl to kill them, but here is the problem, when you get more than 3-4 ppl, it quickly becomes an auto attack fest. As the game goes you’ll find things that are hard to solo, but you’ll never find a map where all mobs are strong, normal mobs will always be easy, unless you aggro like 7+. You pretty much wont be able to run dungeons till level 80, because ppl insta kick ppl that arent level 80 from any dungeon, and you if you get to level 80, you just need a quick stop at youtube to catch up the “strategies” and will take 2 or 3 runs to never die again in those dungeons. I saw you talking about how disappointing it would be if the gear grind was too easy, guess what XD, you just need money to buy your exotic gear, which is quite enough to run anything but fractals, if you have money enough you just buy it from tp and done. About the reviews, the review you linked was about 2 weeks after the game release, when ppl were overhyped, check this interview and you’ll have a better idea about how the game is right now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG5oUKqbIVM.

The end game is all about gold farming, to look good and afk in lions arch.

Love roaming builds and non meta silly builds.
Don’t worry boys, Blade and Soul is coming.

(edited by Khalisto.5780)

Posted by: Azumi.9572

Azumi.9572

Want to see a excessively boring game? Try FF14. Man. I was bored to tears within an hour of logging in.

Anyway the best part of GW2 is just when you are starting out. It gets really boring when you’ve finish doing the story and exploring the maps.

If you’re already bored – I’d leave. It doesn’t get much better, honestly.

Posted by: Zatiel.3810

Zatiel.3810

OP, dont listen to people saying “it gets harder when you get to the end game”. It doenst. The pve in this game is not challenging at all. Ive been playing for 2 years and the only thing that could be considered challenging are high level fractals (mini dungeons for 5 players). Now, they say that HoT is gonna add a lot of challenging content, but i dont know if thats true because this game is known to be very casual. So if you are looking for a challenging experience then this game is not for you.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

It doesn’t get much better, honestly.

I think you mean ‘subjectively’. As in, everyone’s different, everyone has different tastes. What seems interesting to one may not be so to another. That doesn’t make the thing in question boring.

I don’t find PvP very interesting. Does that make PVP boring? No. And being honest (here’s an appropriate use of the word) with myself, I recognise that I’ve got a preconception about PvP and I engage in it to discover what it’s really like. And I’m starting to enjoy it.

This game has so much content. There are so many things to do, depending on your interests. Everybody has a niche, and nobody expects you to like everything. I like pve, jp’s, collections, achievements, wvw, eotm, starting to get into pvp and dungeons and fractals, or just bumming around with a mate, discovering random things. Yesterday, I came across a defeated flame legion soldier and his yak. I res’d them and walked them home across half of Ascalon, by myself. It took ages and it felt good. Sometimes I try to solo the un-soloable, sometimes I try to be the best support I can be, etc – the challenges are there, if you’re open to them.

But (speaking in general) to claim that everything outside one’s particular niche is boring is… well, a reflection on the player, not the game.

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

Funny-or not that much, really-how a rather invalid complaint from a new player that really knows nothing about the game’s difficulty, nor was really interested to delve deeper to begin with, turned into a “hardcore gamer” argument about how the game is “too easy” for their ilk. The all too common arrogance of human-kind.

Would you be more honest with people and not exaggerate about your points by claiming it’s all about “pressing one” at least? We know the game’s not exceptionally hard, but some people might actually believe such extremist and simplistic silliness, which is obviously not true.

No matter one’s “pro-ness”, you will find serious obstacles to your “just press 1” theory as you get to level 80-especially if you are new and do not know certain encounters/how some things work . The game’s is not that simple or easy as many of you are falsely implying it is, which is a shame for anyone who wouldn’t know better and reads otherwise. A new “good” player may find decent difficulty hurdles even by the first few maps, if unprepared (which is quite likely.)

Game’s not the hardest, but the PvE map is not as numbingly easy as some state as “facts” in this thread.

Posted by: Envy.1679

Envy.1679

It’s a kind of “choose your own adventure” difficulty scheme. Early on it’s very easy, but by the time you get to the end of the main line, do dungeons, fractals, etc. you’re going to see the challenge creep up.

Don’t try to think about it like WoW, where leveling is the core experience. Think of leveling as the tutorial that’s more about exploration than challenge, and the instances and level 80 areas, instances, world bosses, etc. as the challenge.

Literally quoting a dev here,

“When we designed raids, we thought How hard can we make these without them being literally impossible?”

MARATHON CIV 5 DIFFICULTY 10 STILL GOING

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

There is hard content, but it isn’t in the beginning. Furthermore this is standard for a lot of mmos, to start off simple and let you build up.

For example, many dungeons are hard… sort of.

Let me explain the sort of. People have found ways to exploit weaknesses in the AI to make dungeons a lot easier. For one, a tactic called stacking. Against some bosses, who are usually pretty tough, they found if the entire party stacks at one of a couple points, the fight becomes a lot easier. People are hoping the errors in this AI is corrected, but as long as you play a dungeon as intended and not do the stacking, it becomes much more challenging.

For one example, watch this youtube video; its a parody about how hard subject alpha was to fight in the beginning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAbaKWJ1CTc Subject Alpha was considered pretty challenging when fought the “normal” way; when people discovered stacking, he suddenly became much more trivial.

There are also some content that is always challenging. I’ve seen a few dungeons and fractals fail from time to time.

Triple Threat, vinewrath, and Tequatl always have a chance of failure.

But the standard pve world content, no, not really, though some content is intended for groups and without that you won’t be able to succeed.

Human opponents are always better than artificial ones, so pvp and wvw will always be more challenging.

However HoT has apparently introduced much tougher opponents with much better AI. The hope amongst some of us is that if the AI improvement is significant enough, it will be propogated through the rest of the game – at least some of the more challenging content such as dungeons.

You WILL find your first forays into dungeons and fractals challenging if you havent done them before, if you don’t go read tactics about it online, and if you aren’t with a group that hand holds you the entire way.

And yes, things DO get more difficult than at level 9; they handle you with kids gloves in the beginning. Its intended to allow people to learn their character and the mechanics in a less stressful environment before it ramps up.

But this game doesn’t currently have any kind of serious hard-mode content to it – yet. If that’s what you’re looking for, well, maybe this game isn’t for you.

(edited by Morfedel.4165)

Posted by: CalamityO.2890

CalamityO.2890

Well if you wanted more challenging content. You could have tried out Triple threat. Generally that area of the game has the highest failure rate to date. Certain parts of living story 2 achievements do need to team up, as they can be tough to get. Fractals is another area of the game that can be seen as end game content. As they have some of the best skins in PvE. With agony resistance needed for higher level of fractals.

But if that’s how you feel. That’s fine. GW2 isn’t for you. Best of luck in your endeavours.

inthecubbyhole.wordpress.com

Posted by: CalamityO.2890

CalamityO.2890

I would never expect for someone who has only played an mmo for at max an hour, to have such a vocal opinion already. They are even questioning reviews, despite the fact that they haven’t played the game much themselves.

It’s called having a first impression.

inthecubbyhole.wordpress.com

Blaine Tog.8304

This guy’s gone pretty far beyond the bounds of a “first impression,” though. I’ve played MMOs for less than an hour before being able to figure out that they weren’t for me, but I didn’t then go on a long tirade about how terrible they were all the way through to their end games. I just… stopped playing.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

This guy’s gone pretty far beyond the bounds of a “first impression,” though. I’ve played MMOs for less than an hour before being able to figure out that they weren’t for me, but I didn’t then go on a long tirade about how terrible they were all the way through to their end games. I just… stopped playing.

^

I played an mmorpg once that was so boring I fell asleep while playing it (literally). I didn’t go on the forum and tell everyone how fail it was. I just uninstalled it and never returned.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Azumi.9572

Azumi.9572

Don’t really want to get into an argument with a fanboy but meh.

There isn’t anything subjective about it. GW2 is boring. The best part of the game ends when you are finished the story and exploring the maps (This includes Jumping Puzzles).

After that, or rather at ‘end game’ there isn’t anything to do.

You can only do the same exact world bosses over and over so many times before you’re bored to tears. I reached that point a year ago with them.

You can only do the same exact dungeons over and over so many times before you’re bored to tears. The dungeons themselves are boring as hell, too. Stack in corner, kill boss. Run past trash mobs. Stack in corner kill boss. Wake me up. Please.

WvW is probably the single most boring thing I have ever done in my life. You know what an average WvW playtime consists of? Following a bunch of other people in a big zerg for about 20 minutes, run into en equally large zerg and then just spam buttons. No skill required – there is far too many people around for skill to mean anything. And the action is over and done with so quickly you’re back to running around maps looking for something to do. Boring.

sPvP? Meh. It’s alright. Same maps over and over again though makes it stale. Everyone uses the exact same builds now. You played 1 match you’ve played them all.

Be honest. Game is boring. I don’t want it to be – I just bought HoT after all and I’m still around. But it’s the truth.

I’ve played since launch. I took a break 8 months ago. I just came back around a week ago. I’m doing the EXACT same things now as I was then (Silverwastes, sPvP, Dungeons). Nothing has changed.

So now I’m trying to collect dyes. How joyful.

Oh and Fractals? Basically Dungeons, just takes longer.

“If it’s that boring, why do you still play?”

No idea. I don’t log in much anymore as it is.

Anyway. Convo over.