What is going on with legendaries

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ryn.6459

Ryn.6459

Hey,
I just saw there is almost no supply of legendaries on the tp.
Why do you think is that? Less people building and selling them? More people buying them after anet announed the halt on the 2nd genration? Both?

Learning English, any correction is very welcome.

Posted by: Lady Deedra.3126

Lady Deedra.3126

I would say both.

Skjold Pjod
I am “That” guy you have all heard about.
1,073 precursors forged and counting.

Posted by: okultis.3170

okultis.3170

Less people playing. Its hard to be sure because of megaservers but i am constantly on maps with german players which was not the case before – and all on my follower list is offline. People stoped playing after legendary scam – they just removed HoT 16 legendaries as a feature of HoT on official page. A lot of people had legendaries as end game – more than metrics could show them. Also dungeons. So no endgame no players. There is new players there, not just f2p but new in HoT, but i think its more people stoped playing then come to game.

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

Thats the proof that lots of players quit due to this legendary scam stuff. Why would anybody play a game that cancel stuff what was advertised in the expansion. Logical. Thats why they are building new expansion hoping players will come back, but you know that one…fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I noticed a huge decline in players in Lion’s Arch. I know you can’t tell anything about it, but the ‘main city’ used to be very well populized and now you barely see 5 people at the bank. Maybe cuz of SAB?

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Milkshake.4038

Milkshake.4038

Making a legendary requires core map completion:

1. It takes a lot of time
2. Most players play HoT zones, SW, fractals, wvw, pvp and SAB

I think it is more and more difficult to find friends or guild mates with a Gift of Exploration who can help legendary crafters to create new ones.

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

My almost constant 30-40 online guild has went to 5 at best online after just 3 months of HoT. The roster shows they haven’t logged in for weeks to months, and when they do and we get to talk, they all say the same thing “Just doing the dailies then logging out” (which i also do). The guild was composed of both casual players who were just in it for fun and of HC players. Some were since GW1..some started day 1 GW2.

Take that as you want about the state of the game.

(edited by Rebound.3409)

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Significantly more people are crafting precursors than there has ever been and will naturally want to continue to making the whole legendary.

It wouldn’t surprise me if it’s now more profitable over time to simply sell the mats needed to make the weapon than the weapon itself.

People may also be holding off crafting them and hording materials on the hope that a massive demand spike hits when legendary armor crafting finally drops.

Population dip might possibly be the main culprit but I doubt its the only cause.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Silverstone.4539

Silverstone.4539

What’s going on, Anet shafted us. Too many carrots at the end of ropes. For once they chough up and tell us the carrots not even coming, after we paid for it. Maybe Anet are starting to reap the rewards of the seeds they sew….. Legendry’s on the Trade post might be the fall out? who knows.

Posted by: Amurond.4590

Amurond.4590

What’s going on is very simple: more demand, less supply. The demand/supply ratio shifting in favour of demand. This is exaggerated even further by the cancellation of new legendary weapons.

Less supply
As you’d kind of expect with a new expansion (content), considerably less people are wanting to play through the old maps and creating legendaries to sell. With the new legendaries as well, this means people need their account bound mats (i.e karma, spirit shards) for their own legendaries if they want to make them. Furthermore, this last point is even more poignant now that we aren’t getting any new weapons for a long long time, people who were looking to make another legendary down the road are more likely to reconsider making the old weapons.

More demand
With the addition of new legendaries in HoT you might have expected the old legendaries to go down in demand. Well, they did, at first… but the incredibly slow rate of introduction and the low number of new legendaries introduced meant that people who didn’t want to wait to make a legendary either make one of the new ones (not much choice) or pick one of the old ones. Now that new legendaries have been cancelled, you can probably work out for yourself how this would increase demand on old legendaries significantly. It’s all we’re going to get for a long time.

I’m also going to go ahead and quote myself from another topic because it included more specific details

You two have it around the wrong way. They’re still selling like hotcakes. The demand has been outweighing the supply for the most part, that’s why the supply is so low. I had a quip posted quite high on the list, it took 3 weeks to sell, and 43 of them sold before mine did. I kept track of it very closely to inform future listings. I’d say at a minimum there’s still 3 – 5 of each legendary being sold per day and that’s just listings.

Low supply by itself does not translate to ‘no more legendary builders’. It has just been trending to more buyers than sellers due to numerous reasons, some of which I mentioned in my last post.

The only thing that has decreased visible supply (i.e the listings) noticeably is a shift in the supply vs demand. If it was simply a lack of interest in legendary buying and selling, then the supply wouldn’t have decreased to < 10 for a bunch of weapons and would have remained steady at what it was before.

A good graph to check out is the monthly one for bifrost, but I’m sure other weapons are similar. The supply was drained out completely to 0, those who make legendaries for profit notice it’s selling for ridiculous profits, decide to make bifrost and list it. The supply went back up to 22 in a week. Smart legendary sellers will generally get the core mats common to all legendaries, check which legendaries would be best to make supply/demand/risk wise, and post it up. The supply is trending back down because most of them would move onto different legendaries once they see the supply is very high again at 22. It got back down to 0 supply again 2 days ago.

~ The Server I Play On Is Better Than The Server You Play On ~
- Kudzu, Dreamer, Frostfang, Eternity, Flameseeker Prophecies ~
~Nevermore, HOPE, Moot, Incinerator, Meteorlogicus, Howler ~

Posted by: Turtle Dragon.9241

Turtle Dragon.9241

1. Less people playing, therefore less people getting precursors dropped to sell. Less people playing also means less people going around crafting Legendaries to sell.

2. New Legendaries cancelled, therefore people are falling back on existing ones, and now buying them with the money they had saved up for the cancelled upcoming Legendaries.

3. Current temporary content(SAB) is providing absolutely nothing to do with Legendaries(precursors or t6 mats or other mats dont drop in SAB) and since it is temporary content that will be gone soon, people are concentrating on that for now, meaning decreased people working on Legendaries to sell.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

• okultis.3170: "Less people playing. Its hard to be sure because of megaservers but i am constantly on maps with german players which was not the case before – and all on my follower list is offline. "
  • ProtoGunner.4953: “I noticed a huge decline in players in Lion’s Arch. I know you can’t tell anything about it, but the ‘main city’ used to be very well populized and now you barely see 5 people at the bank.” —
  • Rebound.3409: "My almost constant 30-40 online guild has went to 5 at best online after just 3 months of HoT. The roster shows they haven’t logged in for weeks to months, and when they do and we get to talk, they all say the same thing “Just doing the dailies then logging out” (which i also do). "

That’s not evidence that fewer people are playing the game, only evidence that the people you know aren’t playing the game as much as they used to (or that people aren’t doing the same as what you do). It doesn’t take into account new players, people in other guilds, and the fact that HoT changed incentives so that folks are more spread out, instead of concentrated in just a few areas.

What’s going on, Anet shafted us. Too many carrots at the end of ropes. For once they chough up and tell us the carrots not even coming, after we paid for it. Maybe Anet are starting to reap the rewards of the seeds they sew….. Legendry’s on the Trade post might be the fall out? who knows.

Thats the proof that lots of players quit due to this legendary scam stuff. Why would anybody play a game that cancel stuff what was advertised in the expansion. Logical. Thats why they are building new expansion hoping players will come back, but you know that one…fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Again, no. That’s not proof of anything other than… fewer legendaries on the TP. There are lots of equally-compelling theories that explain why the supply is more often zero than it used to be (and FYI: this isn’t the first time we’ve seen the phenomenon; it’s just more common recently).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

Again, no. That’s not proof of anything other than… fewer legendaries on the TP. There are lots of equally-compelling theories that explain why the supply is more often zero than it used to be (and FYI: this isn’t the first time we’ve seen the phenomenon; it’s just more common recently).

Well Eternity was 4000 gold before canceling Legendaries – about 22 in stock on TP. Now its 6000 gold 11 in stock.

Lets look at sunrise…. 4100 gold price 1 in stock.
before was 15 in stock 3100 g price.

same with twilight
4100 g price – 1 supply, was 13 supply and 3400g price.
….

it seems lots of ppl bought them and nobody is building them….

saddly f2p players are maintaining some of game’s population but number of legendaries on TP is a proof that lots of vets quit.

(edited by Ragnarox.9601)

Posted by: Taxidriver.2043

Taxidriver.2043

ppl who make them to sell left the game

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Well Eternity was 4000 gold before canceling Legendaries – about 22 in stock on TP. Now its 6000 gold 11 in stock.

Lets look at sunrise…. 4100 gold price 1 in stock.
before was 15 in stock 3100 g price.

same with twilight
4100 g price – 1 supply, was 13 supply and 3400g price.
….

it seems lots of ppl bought them and nobody is building them….

saddly f2p players are maintaining some of game’s population but number of legendaries on TP is a proof that lots of vets quit.

You’re assuming that crafting a legendary and selling a legendary is the same. It’s not. For all we know, people are crafting them for personal use rather than to sell. Or people who were holding out on crafting legendary weapons until they saw the new ones but then settled with just going for the existing ones such as me. It is also not a very good, or reliable, indicator that players are leaving the game.

They were planning on making another expansion well before players started getting upset with the existing state of the game. There were actually numerous posts about their intentions of doing so well before the cancellation of more legendary weapons.

MMO’s tend to go in specific cycles in regards to active players. You normally see an increase occur just before an expansion and it maintains until typically a few months after an expansion releases. After that point, it tends to drop off until new content is added whether from another expansion or updates.

What we’re seeing now is nothing to not be expected from a typically MMO which hasn’t had any new content released in the past six months. Other issues certainly do not help either but are unlikely to be having a significant impact on what is already to be expected to happen with no new content.