What is hurting GW2 for me (and maybe you!)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zinwrath.2049

Zinwrath.2049

I’ll start.

Upon hitting 80 i honestly dont feel motivated to do much because i just have problems with some of the content in the game. No i’m not a rager…i love the game or i wouldnt take time to post concerns…but i do have some and theres a good chance you might have them too. so here we go.

SPVP – no real tournaments or ranking system like LoL has makes it hard for me to boast my kitten and feel satisfied by climbing up a ladder “or atleast sitting in one rating arguing i should be much higher if it werent for these nubs”. Put this in and i’im sure it would spike in popularity.

Dungeons – the most exciting thing about dungeons in every past mmo i’ve ever played over the last decade is that exciting feeilng of “hey i might get a nice item off a boss” right now the chests drop and i feel nothing..no excitement. I’ll get some crap loot i’ll probably sell to a vendor later that i coulda got grinding any monster anywhere. Its not rewarding or exciting. I will get those tokens when i finish which actually just adds to a grindy feel not exciting. I understand what arenanet was trying to do but add some rare drops for the fun of it…they could be cosmetic BS i dont care something! (keep the tokens..but put in some random excitement)

World Bosses – Not rewarding enough or exciting. By exciting i mean theres never a sense of danger..often times i’m rushing to get to one because i know it might be dead before i can hop over to it. Even the ice dragon (claw of jarsath?) isnt too difficult…i’ve never actually seen anyone fail on one of these. Also like the dungeons you finish and you get a chest with random crap..though a decent chance for some yellow crap. I think a zone buff or something after killing these should be in order…and perhaps failing has its downsides. Just needs something to make these feel more dire and exciting. (added idea, make bosses more dangerous…AND perhaps for each one alive the entire world becomes a more dangerous place, this would encourage people to band together to take them down to…save ..the..world O.O)

Community – this sadly is a tough one. As it stands this game doesnt require you to have a guild for most aspects of the game. This sounds nice…and it is to some degree. But because of that the few guilds i’ve been in (not wvw guilds) do almost nothing with each other or rarely talk because you can do almost every bit of content on your own (aka they’re just there for the guild perks from influence). Perhaps some guild vs guild mini games or hopefully some day guild housing etc would help. Right now there isnt much community strength being forced upon people like there is in other mmos….which like i said its a win/loss thing so hard to solve.

I will say this has been one of if not the funnest leveling experiences i’ve had in any mmo in an extremely long time. Im very pleased with the pvp, i like the professions, i love the cosmetic feel and theme of the game. So much potential to be unlocked. I"m just giving feedback on what is hurting the game for me..so hopefully they can make it even greater.

Posted by: Hunzo.4509

Hunzo.4509

I must agree there seems to be all these elements of the games, such as guilds and PvP, world boss’s ect that are nice idea’s essentially but are seriously lacking in the potential they could be providing us with, i personally think from Anet’s point of view this is such an easy fix for a lot of these issues and quite frankly dont see why they needed to actually release the game for them to be found out, but personally i think if they are fixed you will have a quality game on your hands.

Posted by: SamTheGuardian.2938

SamTheGuardian.2938

All points here are solid. They just need to fix a few things, hopefully it will happen soon.

Posted by: Zierk.4289

Zierk.4289

I must say, the Fire Elemental world boss in Metrica Provence is the hardest world boss IMO. There is always a dangerous feel when doing that one. The others though, meh. I agree with all points. I mostly log in to WvW and that’s about it anymore. The anti-farm code and restrictions on speed running dungeons pretty much killed my desire to do dungeons or any kind of grinding. I don’t really like SPVP, feels too much like battlegrounds in every other MMO.

Zierk [VA] Sylvari Ranger – Jade Quarry
Vigiliant Addiction – Multi-Gaming Community
http://www.vigilantaddiction.com

Posted by: Eochaidh.4106

Eochaidh.4106

We just need more content. In GW the game barely begins once you reach the max level. In GW2 there really isn’t much else to do.

Posted by: Zii The Mad.2563

Zii The Mad.2563

GW2 needs a difficulty buff.

Posted by: WasAGuest.4973

WasAGuest.4973

I agree completely on the Dungeons. Tokens should be used to help complete or finish off a set that the players have been getting as drops within the dungeon. Not as the sole method of acquiring the dungeon gear.
Farming tokens lacks the “Sweet Shiny!” appeal.

World Bosses should be added to the Daily Achievement list. Within that Achievement Chest it should come with an Exotic item. (Anet wants people to migrate – with this, now they have a reason too really get to moving)

Just two ideas I feel would motivate me more.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

You guys are too demanding.
I played all MMOs since UO and I can’t name a game with this much content and depth at launch.

Zinwrath.2049

I played all MMOs since UO and I can’t name a game with this much content and depth at launch.

i dont think its too demanding. Mmo designers today realize that the market has higher expectations than it did back then (why so many fail since WoW). Look at recent mmos. Take AoC for example boasted a lot of great things, had record sales, and lost the greater of its population in 2 months due to bugs and lack of finished features and content. They even fixed most of their issues within a year, but most did not care. People feel a committment to mmo’s as they’re not just an online game, they’re an online community where you build friendships.

Do i think they made some hiccups in their design that coulda been avoided….sure. But i imagine its difficult when trying to throw in so many huge features (like you said this is a lot of content for a mmo on release). The game delivers on content but leaves you feeling at a dead end for many. If you like a game and see its potential the greatest thing you can do is come to the forums (which we know they read) and give constructive feedback on why your not happy and offer any suggestions to move things into the right direction. Keep in mind most people who complain on the forums are people who want to play this game or they wouldnt waste time here.

Posted by: Raging Bull.5048

Raging Bull.5048

I agree with the OP on all points. I’ve even posted about the same things he mentioned, so yes, it’s definitely a problem for me.

Raging Bull.5048

You found depth in GW2? Wow… I guess “depth” is a relative term.

Posted by: yandere.9176

yandere.9176

Well, to the the points.

1. I don’t play SPVP so… yeah no clue.
2. Dungeons are just frustrating. I raided in every MMO before, DDO in particular, which had an awesome dungeon design.
3. World Bosses: The greater the boss, the easier they are. And boy the big ones are boring.
4. I like my community on desolation, so yeah. This is not really a valid point for me.

Desolation – Mistress of significance level

Posted by: Treeline.3865

Treeline.3865

Oh there’s a lot of depth. Have you ever tried researching into the lore? Ever followed a Dynamic Event from beginning to end? And from beginning to end i mean more than following a pack bull some place. See the conversations, follow NPC’s. There is a whole lot of depth and backstory if you look for it.

Also, excellent post by Zinwrath. And a difficulty buff would be really nice. I think dungeons are fine, but the PvE world is too easy.

Leader of Heroes [Hero] – Seafarers Rest

Posted by: wookie slayer.4259

wookie slayer.4259

I totally agree almost 100% with the op. The game lacks community, fun, epicness really. It all stems from a lack content that is difficult. Difficult content takes guilds to do(builds guild community), is fun and not a snooze-fest because its so easy, and is awesomeness because how good you feel when you beat something that took effort and isnt something every other person in the game can walk in and defeat. This game excels in a great leveling process but thats where it ends. The dungeons are terrible, the crafting is useless (in a game where items dont matter much/ and there arnt many flavor items), no raids or any real max level content to keep players there after leveled.

Raging Bull.5048

Oh there’s a lot of depth. Have you ever tried researching into the lore? Ever followed a Dynamic Event from beginning to end? And from beginning to end i mean more than following a pack bull some place. See the conversations, follow NPC’s. There is a whole lot of depth and backstory if you look for it.

Also, excellent post by Zinwrath. And a difficulty buff would be really nice. I think dungeons are fine, but the PvE world is too easy.

If by “depth” you mean only lore, I’ll always read a good book over reading in-game stories. In-game stories might intrigue me if the game is absolutely astonishing on all levels. GW2 is mediocre at best. GW2 needs depth in encounter mechanics (DEs and dungeons), combat, skills, traits, crafting etc. but that’s exactly where it is lacking.

And btw, personal story is bad. Like REAL bad. Predictable and juvenile. Totally excitement-free.

Posted by: Rise.9702

Rise.9702

I agree with you lol. I say wait till we get a few expansions/updates/patch-ups…The game JUST got released. I’m enjoying the game but all this complaining is just draining. Play something else till content arrive is all I gotta say.

You sir are a Scholar and Gentlekitten.

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

As long as your guild solution comes in the form as an incentive and not a punishment, I wouldn’t see anything wrong with it.

Bad: You now must be in a guild to login. Well that’s not terribly nice, and alienates some people, and sends a pretty clear message. If you don’t join a sorority or fraternity, you are a GDI, and we don’t like you.

Good: Guild members get free cats! Hey I like cats, but I know I don’t ‘need’ a cat to play. Boy I’d sure like a cat… Hey, anyone recruiting?

Just like exploring requirements for map completion in WvW. My brain knows why they did it. My heart was bummed. Before I threw in the towel, I went and tried it. And, even though I leveraged the free transfers to do it (which I highly recommend, and you don’t even have to get up in the middle of the night to switch, late week morning-before-work switches for NA mainlanders works well), I’ll be kitten if I didn’t get totally sucked into it and end up having a really good time. I still have a lot to learn, I’m mostly focused on following orders, though I have learned supplies and how to fix and help build things (although, I think there are bad places to get supplies from, or something, got yelled at, I need to learn that ).

So, there are positive ways to motivate people to do things without turning them into punishments.

Posted by: Xeres.3724

Xeres.3724

I agree with the OP on most of his points, but specifically the Dungeons loot. As another poster said, tokens should be used to complete a set of armor, not as the only means to get that armor.

IMO, Part of the fun of group instances is after killing the boss mob, hoping if the weapon or armor piece you want drops. Looting drama aside it’s a key aspect of the whole dungeon experience. The tokens are there so that if the weapon doesn’t drop eventually, you can still buy it eventually.

That should be in place here.

Posted by: Pet.2598

Pet.2598

Hello,

Firstly, me and my roommates also love the feel of guildwars. But we are also very worried by the end-game.

Upon reaching lvl 80 it al started with crafting. I thought I would max it out and spending some of my leveling gold I actually created 2 new sets in 2 days and over the next 3 days completed my legendary set. The money that paid for this way gathered by discovering all of Orr, which was super fun! Though it finally saddens me that most of my gear was eventually cheaper on the trading post…

Then I started to look at dungeons, because I thought ‘well now that my gear is maxed’I will be up for the challenge’. And challenging it is. But then I looked at the rewards that I could buy and it saddens me to find out that these were not better than the ones I made in three days.

In our opinion we would love to see a gradual system of dungeons that besides from teamwork and skill also would take some significant higher tier to complete – ‘you can not go here you do not have enough healing/damage/health etc..’ . I know that many argue that this system makes the game less accessible but if you see how fast you can get a maxed character (by just 2 weekends of playing and discovering) I think this system is something that keeps the game fun for a longer time because there is always a ‘next logical step’.

It will also have two more outcomes
You will get WvW boss-players, the strongest players can actually turn out to be new challenges for multiple players. This is not a bad case but in my opinion it makes the game cooler because it shapes heroes behind which others can hurdle. The now existing legendary weapons do not enhance players enough to take this role.

And secondly it will create more interaction in guilds. Players in guilds will have to band together because they are the ones with the better tiers and go through the process of getting stronger together.

Thanks

EDIT: One more thing I would like to mention is that I think right now it is very important to make this a ‘known issue’. This way people get the idea that something will be done about it and we do not have to hope for a future patch – it just pops to my mind that maybe in this way actually we get to live the initial excitement of development all over again.

One Candle Can Light a Thousand

(edited by Pet.2598)

Posted by: kal.4350

kal.4350

Totally agree with OP

Posted by: Math.6904

Math.6904

I think most of the problems you are facing is actually a problem with how you see the game, don’t take this as a personal attack or anything, this is just my opinion about the game:

SPVP is being worked, a designer said that this is where they are focusing right now, so we need to see how it goes before say something.

(TL:DR about pve: PVE is like a single player game with co-op for me and not a grind for loot)
Dungeons is what i think you (and many others) are looking in a wrong way.
Actually, its not a problem with Dungeons, but with what people imagine what “Pve content” should be… most seem to think that Pve = loot, and there is where we have a problem, this game is not about loot, you shouldnt run a dungeon a million times to get your exotics. To compare with another game, Pve = skyrim for example, you don’t do it for rewards, you do it because you think its fun… pve in this game for me is like a Single Player game with Co-op mode.

World bosses are just a event, and again, the game is not about loot.

Community is dead in alot of games, but this one seems to be better for some reason, but i’m in a WvW Guild and very active, and i talk alot in /map or /team. My advice: look for a WvW guild, i don’t know if you like it or not, but give it a try if you can.

Zinwrath.2049

in responce to Math’s post.

I dont find offence or personal attacks in open discussion for starters. But i think quite the opposite. People view a game for what it is. You compare it a single player game which is exactly what many peoples complaints are. They didnt buy a single player game they bought an mmo. Games like Skyrim, Portal 2, and Bioshock are all excellent games…but after you complete them, few people go back and play them again. Some do, but most move onto something else. I mean, you could make the arguement [people are just mad because they expected it to be an mmo instead of a single player/co-op game] but i dont think thats a rational expectation for people.

also your comment on spvp sounded defencive which can give the illusion of fanboyism vs actually concern. “SPVP is being worked, a designer said that this is where they are focusing right now, so we need to see how it goes before say something”

Theres no reason to not speak your thoughts on something, this is not a (slam gw2) thread that needs to be defended, its a post to identify whats not working vs what is and we can safely assume they’re working on ALL these aspects of the game, which is why we want to give feedback to help them evolve these things quicker and more fit to what (us) the customer wants.

“World bosses are just a event, and again, the game is not about loot.” I find this wrong and wrong. For starters world bosses are a large event that require a higher amount of players to complete. They are the closest thing to a raid boss in this game. I can tell by your remark you dont care for them but many players found this to be a big draw from their pre-release videos from conventions. Also while an individual does not need to desire loot to play the game, it is HEAVILY loot driven. Everything you do is rewarded by loot. Tradeskills give loot, monsters drop loot, mystic forge requires loot to give loot, karma reward loot, gold reward loot, glory reward loot, gem loot…etc etc etc. Loot does not always have to mean better stats..it could just be another look. Thus it is an important purpose in the game and cant be dismissed. (also a micro-transaction game couldnt exist without digital property “loot” to be purchased)

Also last comment about community. I know WvW is more successful for guilds which is why i made sure to put in my post that i have the issue outside of WvW guilds. also “Community is dead in alot of games, but this one seems to be better for some reason” i really dont know how to respond …because when i read it it doesnt make sense…suggesting all community is dead but this one is better?….better at what being dead? Irrigardless i dont agree, community exists (and in many mmo’s is enforced). If you played other games that are heavy RP based like Everquest or EQ2 to give example (or even WoW), you will see a stronger community because more tools were put in place to bring people together and give them more desire to team up and do activities as a guild.

Anyway, did not mean to pick apart your post. I’m just not fully understanding your points your trying to make.

(edited by Zinwrath.2049)

Posted by: silencer.5028

silencer.5028

Didn’t run any of the Orrian temples (save Dwanya, that one seems like a cake walk), did you now? I watch in childish delight as they rip apart the giant mobs that expect the usual gang style. Dragons are not the “top tier” events, they cannot fail. Most temple events on the other hand can. And do. Just finished a full Balthazaar temple run, starting from the Central Invasion right up to the last boss which wiped the floor with the mob. Even with that, still got 5 ectos and ~40 silver in around an hour.

Providing they work, but thats a different matter all together. Hopefully this time they actually stay non-broken for longer ;P

sPvP is being tuned and balanced before they roll out the ranked content. Would probably be better that it starts getting competitive when it’s as bug free as possible, check the relevant forum for a couple of recent updates.

Community aspects are wholly up to you. Like in most modern MMOs you can be as social or anti-social as you want. No one will “force” others to do that though.

Posted by: Dead.7385

Dead.7385

This is one post I can definitely agree with the OP (Opposed to the other "I want gear progression posts).

1. SPvP NEEDS some tourneys for hardcore PvPer’s that don’t want WvW.

2. WvW needs to fixed up a bit.

3. Dungeons mini bosses chest need to drop yellows 100%. Dungeon final bosses need to drop a random piece from the dungeon set (both armor/weps). 100% random. Keep the token system in place so you aren’t reliant only on RNG though.

4. Why is it that only temple bosses seem to spawn Karma merchants with exotics? I am not for gear progression but, adding addition exotics to lower levels using the same system as Temples (beat a meta event -> Karma merchant spawns with neat looking + slightly better stated exotic gear). You can make it so each meta event spawns the same karma loot with different looks by level tier. So the Shadow Behemoth, Giant wurm fight, and Ice Shaman spawn with same stats, but unique looks to that region. This should also get people to use those under 79 Trans stones.

**Edit: Tweaks to Temple fights: I would actually like them tougher. Very tough, but if you capture a temple it stays captured for at least 6 hours. Also improve their chest loot a bit (Yellows 100%).

Killed all temples but Balthazar (which I have yet to see ever not contested), and most weren’t anything amazing. You zerg, you might win, might not (Poor Jonez “dies” day in and day out). But there isn’t a penalty for failure, you just zerg it again till you win. Melandru was the toughest one so far, mainly because he seems unkillable without numbers behind you.

(edited by Dead.7385)

Posted by: SHM.7628

SHM.7628

I do agree.

As for world bosses, I think the mechanics of the game really work against long drawn out fights. I just don’t think that there’s a fix for this (as is).

As for content, The content gets stale fast. Why? Because I am running through it repeatedly with my Alts. It took about a month to feel like, “been there/done that” with great regularity. By the time I was at level 70 with my primary, I felt there was nothing to do but Karma grind armor. Which I did not enjoy.

As for guilds/community, I think once again this is a mechanics problem. Other than Zerging, you are going to be going your own way and doing your own thing. The map is huge too. While that is a good thing in some ways, it doesn’t always lend itself to grouping. This gaame plays like a single player game. (BTW, I like single player games) However, I don’t think that was what was intended.

(edited by SHM.7628)

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

I don’t agree with people who say there’s not enough content.

There may not be enough content in the way that they like it, but there is quite a bit of content. That’s a difference.

I do agree with the OP to some extent, because there aren’t enough different ways in getting armour as far as cosmetics are concerned.

The karma armour is there but at 42k karma a piece it’s a sharp contrast with getting 2 gold together for an exotic piece on the TP. And as the karma armour all looks the same, no matter which trader you go to, it shows a limitation there as well. As soon as you decide you don’t really like the look, you might as well not do it because there are easier ways to get exotic armour.

The dungeons is another item for me. I am glad they improved the token rewards. It is no longer a grind to get some of the armour piece in that respect but the drops in the dungeons themselves don’t really compare in comparing it with other games that have dungeons. Still, I don’t know if that’s a big issue for me. It’s just a different approach. What is a bigger issue to me is that you get different tokens in each dungeon. In theory that might sound nice but there is another limitation there. I like the armour from TA for my level 80 mesmer. It’s awesome looking. At least, it is to me. So I do TA until I have the pieces together. However, I don’t like any of the other armour sets and from what I’ve seen for medium and heavy armour I don’t really like any of them and the weapons…well maybe the GS from AC for my warrior…well, when I have a warrior that is.

So, why would I do any of the other dungeons? I might do them once or twice for the experience but after that you do want something to show for your efforts. And yet there is no suitable reward for me. So what I would want is to be able to exchange tokens for something else.

Perhaps exchanging tokens for karma. Just an idea but it could help people get karma gear together instead of grinding karma in Orr and raging over DR.

And then there is the gear from the priory/whispers/vigil. Generally not very desireable, nor the cultural armour.

You know when I think about it, I really want more armour sets that are actually nice looking cause most special sets are just butt ugly and I want more diverse ways of getting them, so I can mix my activities and still get the armours or weapons I want. That seems to be in line with the approach of Anet here I would think.

What I really don’t understand is that GW2 is beautifully crafted as such but the armour sets are lacking greatly in comparison. Give me kurzick elite armour from GW1 for my Guardian or Mesmer anyday. It rocked. Whoever they had designing armour in GW1 should come back for GW2 and if they already are they should get a slap in the head to wake em up.
Sure, the GW1 graphics are older, but it’s the designs I’m talking about. Much cooler looking, really.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Zinwrath.2049

Some good points being made, i wanted to touch base on all of em but i think everyone is doing a good job of expressing their ideas and concerns. but to comment on a couple.

Silencer is prob right on the waiting on balancing for spvp, which we can simply hope happens sooner than later as i know many want to get an E-sport scene going. As it stands a lot of prof abilities and traits are not working as intended or in some cases not working at all. So this is definitly an unfortunate issue that is slowing down this from going where it needs to. If i was to make any suggestion i would suggest they speed up the pvp rank progression as it stands now a casual player would have to play for 4 months before ever hitting level 30 which is discouraging for those who want to look atleast semi-cool in spvp. I think its a bit extreme as it is…but thats just me others will disagree.

Dead brings up some good suggestions about Orr temple events as well. Might make a whole thread about that. I would definitly like the same system applied to lower level events. It also is a very good suggestion for world events. really cool.

Posted by: yurtshone.7325

yurtshone.7325

Some really good stuff…

I agree, some of the armours look simply terrible. I agree we should have much more diverse ways of getting them too.

Posted by: krojack.4920

krojack.4920

I wish they would do away with your gear getting damaged in PvP. I was doing WvW and just quit because repairs were getting to be to much.

Before you say it’s an incentive to not die, I think the long kitten run back is a big enough incentive.

80 Sylvari Ranger – Jade Quarry
» My current Guild Wars 2 game annoyances

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

op, sounds like youre having a great time actually. glad u like the game.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

Posted by: Hyral.4168

Hyral.4168

I’m wary that every event, skill point or heart that is prone to bugging, is going to bug in every cycle, and that I’ll have to schedule my completions around ANet’s maintenance. Hopefully this does not turn out to be the case. I’m also worried that the gathering resets either aren’t working or are based on too regular a schedule.

Posted by: SHM.7628

SHM.7628

I don’t agree with people who say there’s not enough content.

There may not be enough content in the way that they like it, but there is quite a bit of content. That’s a difference.

I don’t entirely disagree with you on content. I think the real problem with content is that too much of it overlaps. The content that exists is fun the first time or two. However, it quickly starts to feel overly familliar. I greatly dislike this “been there, done that” feeling.

By the time I finished leveling my primary (and beta play) I felt the content was spoiled for my alts. You may feel differently, and I respect that. However, I feel like the content for each race should feel more independent before the storylines converge. I’d like to see a lot more content and maps that are exclusive to each. That I can’t re-cover ad nauseum Starter areas perhaps? I don’t know for sure, I just know how it feels to me.

Also there’s a lot less content in the higher level areas. plus currently there’s a respawn problem. (I know, its being handled)

Posted by: Natjur.4017

Natjur.4017

Except for “The Secret World” mmo, most MMO’s I have played over the years have been all very similar.

I am currently happy with the game EXCEPT for all the botters! Cheaters is what kills the game for me.

Posted by: Safire.9143

Safire.9143

BOTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
no long endgame, no pvp modes, no minigames, no lfg, no duel, no “fun” dungeons…. that killed gw2 alredy, sadly…

Posted by: ilker.9103

ilker.9103

this game sux hard cmon admit it.

Posted by: Freelancer.4802

Freelancer.4802

I really agree with the last bit. I have never felt so detached from others in any other mmo.

GW2 makes it too easy for people to cooperate with eachother. So easy that people are pretty much never required to interact socially. End result is that everyone gathers around an event like a flock of crows to a corpse.. then everyone leaves when its done and goes mind their own business.

In other games, I usually end up in a pretty tight knit guild filled with people I look forward to talking to each time I log on. In this game, though I make a much greater effort to befriend players, I never end up knowing them for long because everyones representing different guilds, jumping servers, and just generally not motivated to play together.

Zinwrath.2049

Think you put it well Freelancer in identifying the problem. Unfortunately the problem is a perk for some players. While i may be generally speaking and just uninformed…i feel like the player base that benefits from this is the casuals and mmo hoppers who dont have any plans for long roots here. This may be wrong but my logic is based on the fact that someone who wants to invest in this game would want more guild interaction and more reason to socialize or excuses to socialize.

I could go through a list of all the parts of this game that disconnect players from each other, but it’d be a long list and give the illusion i’m bashing the game. Also it would bring up several counter arguements because some of those features encourage casual play and allow people to NOT feel too connected to the game and free to quit whenever they want. This is a win/loss situation where you create a healthy environment for casuals but a dead end for those seeking to build a community. When someone rezzes me in the game, i often thank them or ask to join them only to be greeted with silence as they run off…probably only rezzing me because i showed up on their map and they knew i’d give a decent chunk of exp and tally them towards an acheivement. Same goes when roles are switched sadly. This is not an easy thing to fix without ruining what it great about this game for some… thats why i suggest guild vs guild mini games or other weird things to help strengthen the desire to make friends.

Also mini games are missing outside keg brawl which currently offers no awards for playing which i think should be added as i coulda sworn in a interview they said there would be. I remember the events in every beta like the “hunger games” themed one. Was incredibly fun and spiced in some spontanious excitement. I expected to see these kind of things on a weekly basis, so far there has not been any. Hopefully its just being post poned due to other more critical issues but its something i was most excited about that i’m still waiting to see.

Overall the game has a lot of perks especially to the pve leveling experience. Spvp just needs balancing, a ladder or ranking system, and imo a way to que up for solo ranked play like LoL. We’ll see what the future holds, a big pro/con to this game is theres no monthly fee…so if someone quits the game now they have a higher chance of returning in the future than one that would require them to whip out their credit card again. you dont "quit’ gw2…you just might stop playing it. This hopefully will give this game a chance to collect those who have grown bored with it for the time being instead of losing them to another game that will absorb all their time.

Posted by: Natjur.4017

Natjur.4017

Guild Wars 2, the MMO that if you told new players it was a single player game and disabled the chat… they would never know it was really an MMO

Posted by: Wyrdthane.6801

Wyrdthane.6801

OP: well you tell it straight, i have to say that I feel the same way about almost every point you made.

but I feel like Anet listens to its customers.. and its the customers that are being impatient with Anet. Changes are coming. Good ones. Guaranteed. Just keep posting great ideas for solutions.. but also maintain what you like about the game because they need a wall to bounce off of.

Posted by: nickdiaz.7591

nickdiaz.7591

I feel as Guilds aren’t much either, but I also feel like Guilds can also present you with an idea of companionship too! (ex. Exploring an area, doing a jumping puzzle, answering questions, and dungeon help.)
I agree with your idea of the dungeons. And if they do buff the rare chest loot, they can also make the Guild system a bit stronger because people would be more optimistic to take part in them and essentially make guilds more talkative and communication based.

Nicko The Blessed | Human Nobleman Gaurdian

Posted by: homedog.8076

homedog.8076

This game has great graphics, great game play, and the best sounds I have had in a game in a long time. The classes are fun to play. What the game lacks…purpose. This game is one big grind. The quest or hearts are just cut and pasted, they are the same from one to 80. The personal storyline starts off slightly different then quickly becomes the same story for all chars. This game will be short lived IMHO amongst the hardcore gamers. I don’t like to have to grind for gold. I rather grind for my level. Honestly some of the graphics for gear are awful. The Hall of Monuments or as it should be refereed to is the Hall of Wasted time in GW1. 3 out of 5 stars from me. Already looking to see what is coming out in the near future in the MMO world.

Posted by: Asglarek.8976

Asglarek.8976

All the changes we’ve seen in GW2 since release reflect one singular motivation and that is to drive/nudge people to the gem store.

You have to remember all the past /present/future changes to the game will all be focused on keeping people spending cash in the gem exchange once you accept this you can then begin to understand why things seem to be bungled, scattered about with no general direction in which way they want to go with this game.

Posted by: Azthioth.9682

Azthioth.9682

I like the idea, but here is your problem with more difficult content all around, why would I want to do that?

Risk/reward is not something that works in GW2. Kill the hardest boss in the game? Here’ya go, a green leather hate for a level 76. Good job!

I, nor any group of people will willingly to their death (multiple times) only to get vendor trash.

Anet will not change this because that means, supposedly, less people going to the cash shop. Catch 22 my friend.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

funny because after their dungeons update that was supposed to make them fun and rewarding it changed nothing, NOTHING. Still as boring. and rewarding? What reward? Blues/green with no unique and rare skins. Not a single epic dungeon exclusive skin. They added fractal weps which felt kinda epic but aren’t even a drop… I want skins that have a very low drop rate but i can farm as much as i want and no DR bull****. Why is it so hard to understand lol gw1 had plenty and gw2 has none. Oh yeah, they don’t want any because then people would farm them and sell for money but anet wants us to waste $ on gems, gotcha.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.