What is stacking?

What is stacking?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Silver Sea.5314

Silver Sea.5314

Q:

I’m planning to start running dungeon and I have noticed that most of the people that are stacking. The problem is, I don’t know what that thing is!

So basically, what is stacking?
How do I ’’stack’’?
What’s the point of stacking?

Thank you

What is stacking?

Posted by: NTDK.4897

NTDK.4897

stacking is everyone standing in a corner.
to share buff, to be out of mob’s line-of-sight (los), to dps faster (ele’s fiery greatsword rush etc.)

ign: Larxene Rakushinu
Incoming Quaggans [iQ]

What is stacking?

Posted by: Silver Sea.5314

Silver Sea.5314

stacking is everyone standing in a corner.
to share buff, to be out of mob’s line-of-sight (los), to dps faster (ele’s fiery greatsword rush etc.)

Could you explain what you mean by line-of-sight?

What is stacking?

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

line of sight is basically the area that the mob can “see” you. draw an imaginary line from you directly to the mob. if there’s something in the way, you’re out of it’s line of sight

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

What is stacking?

Posted by: icewyrm.5038

icewyrm.5038

Most abilities used by enemies (or players) require line of sight. If you stand behind a wall and attempt to use a targeted attack on an enemy on the other side, the attack fails (a message such as “obstructed” will usually appear to inform you this has occured).

A simple check is performed by most AI controlled enemies when they attempt to use an ability. If an AI controlled enemy is trying to attack you and is unable to target you with it’s abilities, it will attempt to calculate and travel to the closest location it can reach where it can hit you with it’s attacks.

Stacking takes advantage of this. Done properly, you can make an entire room of monsters move to a bottleneck in the terrain where your group can use AoE skills to kill all of them at once quickly, instead of killing them one at a time.

This is particularly advantageous when fighting ranged enemies, since unlike melee attackers they generally don’t clump together on their own.

(edited by icewyrm.5038)

What is stacking?

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

Technically it’s just standing on top of each other. It’s used to share buffs and support party members, working most effectively with tactics that boost group dps or provide groupwide defense. It’s used in concert with the LoS or Line of Sight tactic which takes advantage of the stupidity of mobs and lures them into tight spaces to be bursted down, sometimes within seconds if you have the gear, comp and coordination.

All that said, you can assume that 90% of tha pugs don’t know why you stack either. They’re just stacking because pros stack, but they don’t take advantage of tactics stacking allows so they’re essentially just standing in a corner, thinking that they’re pro.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

What is stacking?

Posted by: Casmurro.9046

Casmurro.9046

Stacking is very effective since we dont have tanks in this game. In mmos with trinity the tank runs around the room pulling all the mobs, then he keeps circling until he makes a compact ball of mobs then he enters inside it, when he completes it the dps players go inside the ball and do aoe atacks to kill the mobs.

Without a tank what we do is stacking behind a wall or corner or whatever and wait while someone pulls the mobs, that way all the mobs will come and stack with the players, even ranged mobs will stay together in that corner, making it easy to cleave then down and use aoe.

What is stacking?

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

What is stacking?

Posted by: DragonWhimsy.6489

DragonWhimsy.6489

Stacking is why the dungeons in GW2 have become a sad experience, and a very embarrassing fact of this game that rears it’s head whenever I try to recruit friends into spending time in Tyria.

It’s just such bad game design. GW2 is such a wonderful game and I find it truly shocking this continues to be a thing.

If ANet doesn’t do something SIGNIFICANT to break this mindset in Feature Pack 2 I’m just going to mentally write off the dungeons permanently.

I love you ANet but this one thing is sorta sad. We wouldn’t accept it in any other game, there’s zero reason we should accept it from the best MMO on the market (except in dungeons, where you’re at the bottom).