What is the Purpose of shields

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

seriously why carry a shield if skills can ignore the block and Interrupt it mainly pulls it seems.

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

fighting hydra, obviously

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Yes, there are unblockable skills, but a vast majority are not. Strategic use is necessary, but to everything there must be a counter. There are many examples or reasons I could give, but simply put, there are plenty of uses but it isn’t something that can deal with every single threat, which is why there are plenty of other skills also available (and dodge rolls).

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Rezzet.3614

this skills are what ruin wvw tho tower defending uses block

random guy uses pull

defending player gets dragged into zerg or small group(since theres always parties of gankers roaming) and gets obliterated in a blink.

Rezzet.3614

Yes, there are unblockable skills, but a vast majority are not. Strategic use is necessary, but to everything there must be a counter. There are many examples or reasons I could give, but simply put, there are plenty of uses but it isn’t something that can deal with every single threat, which is why there are plenty of other skills also available (and dodge rolls).

except some pulls cause a 1-2s knockdown and the pull negates the remaining shield time so having 4s shields becomes 1s shield as it gets interrupted.

Posted by: Neb.4170

Neb.4170

Jokes on you, Guardian shield doesn’t have a block.

The focus does.

My head hurts.

Posted by: Mightylink.3816

Mightylink.3816

Shields in this game aren’t shields at all, they are weapons, which is pretty dumb, they do seem to increase defense a little but not enough to make a difference, their biggest stat is their weapon damage so basically their treated like any other offhand weapon like daggers and swords <_<

I really wish shields ment something, I use them in any other game but in GW2 I never saw a purpose…

Mightylink – Norn Necromancer
Mythiclink – Asura Engineer

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

You know that you need to get up on the hydra’s back, right?

Posted by: grave of hearts.7830

grave of hearts.7830

Just wait till temporal curtains gets nerfed with a long casting time for the pull.
There are plenty of complaints already since a particular server abuses the mechanic to a ridiculus point.

SoS Defence and Emergency commander
If you see a gear above my head……run
If you see me Offline,its totaly not a trap

Posted by: Tumbero.3945

Tumbero.3945

The shield mechanic , as they say a shield that dont block what was anet thinking when they create the skills here?

SBI Firstborn.
(LX) Legion

Posted by: Ice of Dragons.1637

Ice of Dragons.1637

and other Marvel Villains that are to low for the Avengers

Posted by: Rfreak.6591

Rfreak.6591

I have to honestly agree, in fact, while people are invulnerable or actively blocking, they are sacrificing the ability to do anything else in order to block those specific Attacks and maybe stalling for time to recharge the heal skill (most heals take 20s to recharge and blocking usually lasts 3-4s max so, blocking isn’t that effective in that sense but it’s still a little bonus), making unblockable skills is pretty much a slap in the face for those using blocks, however I must say that, if being unblockable takes up a whole utility slot and won’t ever be considered in traiting then it’s okay, because those unblockable skills won’t be many and would hardly show up outside of roamers, class-specific roamers though (which might actually change the meta in a negative way).

Posted by: Chessrook.8643

Chessrook.8643

Jokes on you, Guardian shield doesn’t have a block.

The focus does.

My head hurts.

Well the shield DOES have a skill that blocks projectiles…

Rezzet.3614

Just wait till temporal curtains gets nerfed with a long casting time for the pull.
There are plenty of complaints already since a particular server abuses the mechanic to a ridiculus point.

even if it had a 160s cooldown it would still be game breaking sure mesmer enters cooldown but the whole group of players they pulled down died and have to walk ALLLL the way back to the tower or keep they were at, needless to say said tower/keep will probably be overtaken by then as the curtains can drag loads of players down to their deaths.

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

There’s not even a passive block, like shields in real MMORPGs. Great design guys.

User was infracted for being awesome.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

Shields, like all “weapons”, are hookpoints for skills. If you haven´t figured that out by now, obviously you haven´t grasped the game mechanics yet and probably never will.