What is the deal with Ascended gear?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lokki.1092

Lokki.1092

Why are there 144 different stat combinations for Exotic trinkets and only 13 for Ascended?

Why are ascended weapons missing Giver’s?

Why are the pure stats like Carrion, Valkyrie, Settler, Giver, and Magi still missing from the trinkets at all. It’s been almost a year since we were first told that these missing stats would be added.

Many players have swapped out entire sets to keep their customized gear since there hasn’t been an upgrade to exotic armor yet, and here we are with weapons released and still missing nearly a third of the stats as ascended. And losing more and more customization and build variety with every single ascended patch.

Is this ever going to be addressed?
Are you trying to slowly remove these sets from the game?
Did you just forget about them and need a reminder?

Help us out here. some of us have characters waiting on information here. Especially with the time gating mechanics, people dont want to upgrade their gear to ascended only to downgrade stats for their build (or change it) only to have those missing combos finally released.

Can we get some info on this?

Posted by: JDGumby.7685

JDGumby.7685

Why are there 144 different stat combinations for Exotic trinkets and only 13 for Ascended?

Obvious answer: Tiering traits and skills (BOO!) didn’t narrow the amount of possible builds enough for ArenaNet’s tastes. Limiting the stat combinations on Ascended items funnels players into yet fewer viable builds, thus reducing balancing headaches just a wee bit more.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Laziness is the answer and you know its true.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: Spiral Architect.6540

Spiral Architect.6540

Obvious answer: Tiering traits and skills (BOO!) didn’t narrow the amount of possible builds enough for ArenaNet’s tastes. Limiting the stat combinations on Ascended items funnels players into yet fewer viable builds, thus reducing balancing headaches just a wee bit more.

That, or perhaps sheer incompetence.

Posted by: luckywaldo.6089

luckywaldo.6089

It’s simple, the game was designed for exotics to be the last tier. That’s why, not only was it the most diverse in stats, it was the most diverse class in skins and in methods of acquiring, be it crafting, dungeons, orr temple karma gear, mystic forge, WvW, or named drops.

Ecce Machina ~ Engineer
Ars Est Mortem ~ Necromancer

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

I would actually put my money on this. It’s abysmally sloppy that Ascended isn’t even worth building because many of your builds aren’t supported by the stat sets :/

I ? Karkas.

Spiral Architect.6540

I would actually put my money on this. It’s abysmally sloppy that Ascended isn’t even worth building because many of your builds aren’t supported by the stat sets :/

Yeah, consider that they’ve never “figured out” how to address the condition cap, even though there have been dozens of posts on these forums with reasonable suggestions on how to handle it. Also consider that many other games have condition damage mechanics that actually work, but GW2 doesn’t? Kinda fishy to me.

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Yeah, consider that they’ve never “figured out” how to address the condition cap, even though there have been dozens of posts on these forums with reasonable suggestions on how to handle it. Also consider that many other games have condition damage mechanics that actually work, but GW2 doesn’t? Kinda fishy to me.

Even if Anet isn’t outright malicious, they’re VERY slack in alot of areas, and it looks really bad on the outside.

If they could actually polish little things like this, it would be really, really nice.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Thrumdi.9216

Thrumdi.9216

Yeah, it’s actually incomprehensible that Ascended doesn’t provide all the same stat combos as Exotics, which it is supposed to replace. How hard can that be (it doesn’t require new skins to switch some stat text or flags).

Maybe it is connected to the coming trait update.

But then again, Ascended was introduced in an absolute last minute rush, so perhaps all the man hours are dedicated to introducing it for all the slots before stats are padded out.

Interesting puzzle though.

Thrumdi, Captain of The Tarnished Coastguard

The ultimate GW2 troll.

Spiral Architect.6540

Oh, I don’t think they’re malicious in this regard. Just, well… you know.

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Yeah, it’s actually incomprehensible that Ascended doesn’t provide all the same stat combos as Exotics, which it is supposed to replace. How hard can that be (it doesn’t require new skins to switch some stat text or flags).

Maybe it is connected to the coming trait update.

But then again, Ascended was introduced in an absolute last minute rush, so perhaps all the man hours are dedicated to introducing it for all the slots before stats are padded out.

Interesting puzzle though.

Then don’t rush it.

I don’t care if the sun burns out by the time Anet gets it right, JUST GET IT RIGHT BEFORE RELEASING IT.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: JDGumby.7685

JDGumby.7685

Well, yeah, but I was trying to give the devs the benefit of the doubt. :P

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I think Waldo has a point. Ascended, although potentially initially designed…then scrapped…and now introduced because their crystal ball was wrong, is coming in late. Being introduced slowly to an already established system. It will take a lot of work to design, balance, and implement the additional tier. Even after they finish releasing everything, which as I said will take time, it may still require tweaks and adjusting. The other stat sets are likely coming. Look how long it took them to implement the latest piece of gear…and that’s only weapons. Give them time and have some patience is all.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Lokki.1092

I think Waldo has a point. Ascended, although potentially initially designed…then scrapped…and now introduced because their crystal ball was wrong, is coming in late. Being introduced slowly to an already established system. It will take a lot of work to design, balance, and implement the additional tier. Even after they finish releasing everything, which as I said will take time, it may still require tweaks and adjusting. The other stat sets are likely coming. Look how long it took them to implement the latest piece of gear…and that’s only weapons. Give them time and have some patience is all.

I didn’t post this to get down on the devs at all, and trust me I know how long it can take to create gear.

But we are not talking about creating new gear here, or a new way of obtaining that gear, there are no balance issues since these stats already exist and have been balanced. They already figured the balance of stats for the weapons, amulets or the accessories last November, proof being that the weapons were (unintentionally) released back then with the current stats on them. They were not spending time making the stats, they had them already. What was new, was a form of obtaining the different gear as each set came out. Accessories were not newly balanced, The guild missions were what took time in that release. Daily quests and laurels for Amulets, and 500 crafting for weapons.

I cant help but feel the unique names and flavor text on the Ascended items are what’s keeping those missing 131 combinations away. It was cool at first because ascended were special, new, and powerful… now they are just the next set after exotic. And Anet finds themselves in a hard spot I feel. They would (to keep the items in line with the others) have to come up with 917 different unique names and flavor text just for trinkets! (3 amulets, 2 rings, 2 accessories for each combo.) That is a lot! I get it. but I’m looking for some answer from the devs even if it’s just “Hey we just cant come up with 900 names bro. Our brains hurt.” or anything really. We are in the dark here.

At least then we know what is going on. At least then we can say Hey we don’t care about that. Name them “Berserker/Emerald” if you have to just get them in the game. You can add flavor text later.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I didn’t post this to get down on the devs at all, and trust me I know how long it can take to create gear.

But we are not talking about creating new gear here, or a new way of obtaining that gear, there are no balance issues since these stats already exist and have been balanced. They already figured the balance of stats for the weapons, amulets or the accessories last November, proof being that the weapons were (unintentionally) released back then with the current stats on them. They were not spending time making the stats, they had them already. What was new, was a form of obtaining the different gear as each set came out. Accessories were not newly balanced, The guild missions were what took time in that release. Daily quests and laurels for Amulets, and 500 crafting for weapons.

I cant help but feel the unique names and flavor text on the Ascended items are what’s keeping those missing 131 combinations away. It was cool at first because ascended were special, new, and powerful… now they are just the next set after exotic. And Anet finds themselves in a hard spot I feel. They would (to keep the items in line with the others) have to come up with 917 different unique names and flavor text just for trinkets! (3 amulets, 2 rings, 2 accessories for each combo.) That is a lot! I get it. but I’m looking for some answer from the devs even if it’s just “Hey we just cant come up with 900 names bro. Our brains hurt.” or anything really. We are in the dark here.

At least then we know what is going on. At least then we can say Hey we don’t care about that. Name them “Berserker/Emerald” if you have to just get them in the game. You can add flavor text later.

Just because they had the weapons done doesn’t mean they had everything done. Maybe, but I’m not even going to speculate either way. Perhaps the unique naming is part of the issue. We can’t really know. I still say we just need to have patience.

They have a lot on their plates with what they are trying to do, and since we’ve (the community as a whole) turned trying to talk to us a nightmare for them, they aren’t going to come forward and bother trying to clarify anything. All they’d get in return is bile, brimstone, and plain hate.

Posted by: Zoia.3678

Zoia.3678

Maybe they want us to spend a few months getting the gear we want, out of the available stat combos ascended has to offer. Then later, they can release more stat combos so we can start all over again, if we want those. Will make us playing longer. :p

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Because build variety, game balance and completeness were not priorities.

Ascended gear is half baked and merely just carrot dangling. Every part of it besides maybe the amulets has shown a complete disregard for these things beyond getting them out for additional stats and grind. The fact that something like valkyrie is missing from ascended trinkets is proof that that they just don’t care about delivering quality, but that’s ok, since it’s catering to a crowd that could care less about these things as long as they can grind for a new shiny that makes them stand out. But this is typical fare really.

Oh, that and it’s their way of saying “only zerker you nubs” and yet another way of saying “what’s wvw?”

Regardless of grind, one can see how instead of making sure their current set of ascended gear (trinkets) is complete, they prioritized on throwing more stuff upon it. The actual ascended materials part is actually not bad at all. It’s just sullied by the lack of polish and the busy work to 500.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Cassius.4831

Cassius.4831

Who cares? Ascended items are made for those people who are only looking for raise their stats, not improving their builds. People who were really interested in playing with builds and alts have been progressively leaving this game since 15th Nov and specially now with ascended weapons (and ascended armor coming).

If they were interested in offer us build variety, gear would be cheaper and diversity would be greater. But it’s just the opposite

“Guild wars is for everybody, freedom is ascended, zerg is strength”
~ G. Orrwell, great shaman of the new flame legion, 1984 AE.

Posted by: Thrumdi.9216

Thrumdi.9216

Who cares? Ascended items are made for those people who are only looking for raise their stats, not improving their builds. People who were really interested in playing with builds and alts have been progressively leaving this game since 15th Nov and specially now with ascended weapons (and ascended armor coming).

If they were interested in offer us build variety, gear would be cheaper and diversity would be greater. But it’s just the opposite

Yep, Ascended Weapons were the straw that broke the camel’s back.

Ascended Trinkets you could sort of tolerate, because they were kind of on the edge of making a difference. And there was always the hope that Trinkets would be the end, and no more Ascended gear would be introduced.

But they went and did it. So if you are a theory-crafter, build-maven, find another game.

Thrumdi, Captain of The Tarnished Coastguard

The ultimate GW2 troll.

Lokki.1092

I still say we just need to have patience.

I understand where you are coming from. But it’s been almost a year since they told us all the stats would be coming out “soon”

I’m just looking for clarification. So we can at least plan my character. Even if the answer is they dont care and will now ever put these stats on ascended because they just dont feel like it, is better than limbo.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I still say we just need to have patience.

I understand where you are coming from. But it’s been almost a year since they told us all the stats would be coming out “soon”

I’m just looking for clarification. So we can at least plan my character. Even if the answer is they dont care and will now ever put these stats on ascended because they just dont feel like it, is better than limbo.

Maybe they will clarify, maybe they won’t. Since the forums have gone downhill of late, they have stopped responding. And who can blame them.

Still, yes, they said ‘soon’ but I take that with a (large) helping of salt. As with all things programming, ‘soon’ could be the intent but something happens and ‘soon’ becomes 6 months, a year, two years out. Hell, the code base I work on is 10+ years old and still has items on its ‘to do’ list that the original developers said they would have out in the first year. Kitten happens (more often than not with development from my experience).

But its because of things like that, that Anet has stopped quantifying ‘how long’ for us anymore. Because when they do say something like ‘soon’ and something comes up and they miss that imaginary deadline the fans arbitrarily set for them, kitten hits the fan. It’s gone so far that they no longer even sharing what they are working on until its basically ready to be dropped in our laps. Hell, they tried (sort of) to tell us that they were making a LFG tool…just to let us know what they were doing, but didn’t tell us when it would be done, and people went ballistic. “Why didnt we launch with it? Why wont you tell us when it’ll be done. Oh, they aren’t working on one, they just said it to shut us up” etc. etc. They’ve probably come to the conclusion its just safer to not say a darn thing to us until it’s ready, and if we don’t like it, well too kitten bad for us.

It’s sad really, but I can’t really blame them…

No, I’m not griping at you. I’m just grumpy about the overall attitudes on the forums. My advice would be just to play your character with what’s available, and if the other options eventually come out, then adjust if you feel like it.

Lokki.1092

Again I know that it can take time to create items, or perhaps you are still working on those 900 favor text strings A-net…

But any update on this front?

Please?

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Ascended gear is half baked and merely just carrot dangling.

Half-baked carrot on a string. Yum.

Posted by: rjnemer.7816

rjnemer.7816

Yep, Ascended Weapons were the straw that broke the camel’s back.

Ascended Trinkets you could sort of tolerate, because they were kind of on the edge of making a difference. And there was always the hope that Trinkets would be the end, and no more Ascended gear would be introduced.

But they went and did it. So if you are a theory-crafter, build-maven, find another game.

Lol there is no need to theory craft or change your build. The game is a dps race, go zerker or go home.

Everyone hailed the end of the trinity in gw2 but didnt realize the consequences when the developer is more worried about adding gemstore rng boxes then balancing.

“If you want to get rid of “zerk” you have to make content
hard enough to make them cry, not just rivers but oceans."