What is the deal with wings?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mavander.3208

Mavander.3208

I’m just curious folks. Why do you like them? How does it fit into your roleplay?

Posted by: senki.1046

senki.1046

angel/demon roleplay

Posted by: Bomber.3872

Bomber.3872

It reminds me about these awesome wings from Guild Wars 1. And it reminds me on that great looking wings emote in Guild Wars 1 and how hard it was to get it. (you had to buy AION or to know someone who bought Aion for these great emote)

My only roleplay with them is, that one of my char is a direct descent(end? sry, I have no idea how to use that word correctly ) from my GW1 char and one of the few remaining ancient items from this glorious hero are the Black wings (and one chaos shield^^).

IGN: Euer Verderben
[RUC] Riverside United Corps! For Riverside!

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

Something I bought while under the influence, only use on 1 char…no regrets. As far as RP reasons, I have no idea really.

Attachments:

Posted by: Mahuyo.3079

Mahuyo.3079

Because my Holographic Dragon Wing Cover are cool, fits with my character, and i don’t see them that much on other players.

Posted by: Scipion.7548

Scipion.7548

They seem a bit stupid, except maybe on a necro.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

angel/demon roleplay

Only there aren’t any angels (or demons with feather wings) in the Guild Wars universe.

Posted by: Garm.9750

Garm.9750

Yeah, wings are really out of place. The only wings that looks somehwhat OK are mechanical ones on Asura.

Posted by: Ciome.1075

Ciome.1075

also, the new wings on asura chars fall into the terrain.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

No roleplay whatsoever; just like how they look, and something to go with the halo…lol!

Posted by: dsslive.8473

dsslive.8473

Same here, no roleplay reason, i just like wings, be it the big feathery ones, or the small wings of dwayna ones.

Though if i have to talk about how “immersive” they are, well here’s my reason why they don’t break it:
They aren’t functional wings, they are a costume piece, with all the technology and strange armors, there will be people in tyria perfectly capable in making a set of fake wings if someone desires to wear them. So i don’t see any immersion breaking going a long with them, to me it just says something about that characters prefered look and ability to make/order a set of fake wings to wear.

Posted by: Jimson.5168

Jimson.5168

Wings are designed to block your view at crafting stations and vendors. I see no other use for them other than to annoy other players.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Some people just like to look gaudy.

Attachments:

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Because one of my characters made the terrible decision of drinking a Red Bull and is now suffering the consequences.

If I have one word of advice for you kids, say “No!” to Red Bull. Really. It doesn’t even taste good.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

The holographic dragon wings. I wear that on my tiny Asura. It makes her look like a fairy or a bumblebee, or something. It’s adorable,

The Shatterer wings. I wear that on my Sylvari Mesmer. She is a blue Sylvari and in blue and white armor (with the Zodiac armor chest piece that makes her body look like blue glass) and the white Shatterer wings look great on her.

Black feather wings. Bought, but only use if the char is wearing the Lich outfit.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Kamara.4187

Kamara.4187

People have had a long fascination with humans having wings all the way back to when Greek mythology was first being recorded.

As for roleplay I only use them on my norn raven clan.
However if I needed an excuse for my other races to wear them I could always say they were mutating due to eating GMO foods being grown by the asura

Posted by: Ominous.7583

Ominous.7583

The wings are lame earn a real backpeice :P

-Ironcurtain

Posted by: videoboy.4162

videoboy.4162

Why do people keep acting like wings are out of place, when they existed in GW2 long before players could wear them?

Dwayna had wings and so did some of her Priests and Priestesses. Even her Risen Priestess that you have to fight has them.

Just because you aren’t aware of the Lore, doesn’t make something dumb or out of place.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I have two characters named Nike who mostly spec for team buffs/support. Feathered wings go with that. I have a necro with the Tequatl pet and the teq-wings. Flapping bits of rotting meat just kinda work on necros.

The feathered wings are also fun on bunkers because haters come right at you, which is what you want. They are ok on a couple other builds because the wings do a great job of obscuring your animations.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Just a flesh wound.3589

I forgot about the Teq wings. Those are on my Necro. Because nothing says evil like a pair of rotting bat wings attached to your back (or at the very least, poor hygiene).

ANet may give it to you.

Ominous.7583

Because everyone and there mother has them for the lolzimanageldemon look how cool I am for looking like everyone else. And they don’t flap and look stupid not to mention they are gemstore skins

-Ironcurtain

Nike.2631

Because everyone and there mother has them for the lolzimanageldemon look how cool I am for looking like everyone else. And they don’t flap and look stupid not to mention they are gemstore skins

Yeah, I mean really how dare anyone have tastes other than mine. Or spend money on this game I enjoy. You tell ’em!

Just a flesh wound.3589

Shatterer wings, Holographic dragon wings, Tequatl wings say hi. (Not gemstore, either a drop or an ingame reward. All 3 flap)

ANet may give it to you.

Ominous.7583

Its because they are so cliche and badly done they look like ripped off bird wings taped on your back look out of place and everyone has them. When everyone has them they just are not as cool and again gemstore. The other wings u speak of at least look decent and I don’t see them as much as the lame angel demon wings. But whatever I’m enjoying my synergetic spinal blades still which I crafted so :p

-Ironcurtain

(edited by Ominous.7583)

Posted by: Jermoe Morrow.9501

Jermoe Morrow.9501

Shattered holo wings on my norn mesmer

• hologram= illusion= mesmer in my eyes.
  • they go with my dragon bash helm, fiery dragon sword(illusory fire) and those southsun crab looking shoulders to make me look like a dragon.
  • I like the dragon theme given I prefer melee range as mesmer, and I feel a melee oriented norm world go for an intimidating look.
  • Bonus: dragon look taunts sons of svanir since my mesmer is female.

Ascended blade wings from Scarlett on my sylvari engineer

• how is my engineer flying up in the air from all those skills that launch him without a little help from his jet pack?
  • I used to imagine it held all his engi backpacks, and now I imagine it is where he keeps his glider.
  • I get to beat Scarlet’s master, and my estranged father, with his own tools.

Edit: I personally can’t get behind the feather wings beyond pure style. I could expect given Tyrias magic/tech advancement someone making the feather wings as such a fashion piece.

80s(name-race/class):Jermoe Morrow(main) – H/Ra
Blue Dorito-S/Re|Transitor-S/En |Tina Feyspirit-N/M|
Bmoe-A/T|Peter Whatsherface-H/G|Acolyte Rin-H/N

(edited by Jermoe Morrow.9501)

Posted by: glehmann.9586

glehmann.9586

angel/demon roleplay

Only there aren’t any angels (or demons with feather wings) in the Guild Wars universe.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fallen_Angels

Whether or not angels actually exist in the setting, the concept certainly seems to.

Nike.2631

Its because they are so cliche and badly done they look like ripped off bird wings taped on your back look out of place and everyone has them. When everyone has them they just are not as cool and again gemstore. The other wings u speak of at least look decent and I don’t see them as much as the lame angel demon wings. But whatever I’m enjoying my synergetic spinal blades still which I crafted so :p

I’m sure every person wearing them just waits with baited breath to hear if their appearance meets with your approval. And the pile of broken farming equipment hanging off your back is so amazing… I mean, nobody’s every thought of a design ethic like that. Lets call it… I dunno, how about steampunk maybe? Nothing cliché about that. And look at the way it flaps in tune with your movements like it did on the NPCs that originally had them. So cool.

Glass houses much?

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

And I have the spinal blades too, along with light of dwayna. But I also have the white store wings because they look nice on my sylvari with the dwayna outfit (gasps another store item! the horror). Some of my characters have store items, some don’t. And I couldn’t care less what other people are wearing.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I’m just curious folks. Why do you like them? How does it fit into your roleplay?

I used to play Perfectworld and there the elf class (healers) all had wings. So it’s fitting with that theme my Guardian got the angel wings which suit him perfectly.

My ele has those see through wings, not the shattered ones the other ones. Again they suit him perfectly just because lol.

My Engi main is a different story all together. He has those green ascended wings which sort of match his gold dragon helmet. All he needs now is a tail lol. :P

I didn’t buy those black wings but if they ever come back again I might, I could see them suiting a revenant perhaps.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Even if every person in this game had the wings they would still be “cool” to me and my char who uses them.

What’s with the gemstore reference? Ohhhh you are one of those people who buys/uses items for “status” and are trying to say something like “they are gemstore, no effort put in so they are not worth anything”. To that I would have to reply, each and every person who bought these gemstore items should be thanked just for that because it is them that is keeping this game alive!

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: vanderwolf.7084

vanderwolf.7084

I desperately want wings of the sunless to go with my Mesmer’s devil horns.

because….they look like bat wings and I went for an incubus type of look on him, but also because they’re cute to me xD

Posted by: Gutek.1534

Gutek.1534

Ill just leave this here.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dwayna
“Dwayna is the goddess of healing, air, and life. Often depicted as a young, tall, and slender woman rising over the ground on huge feathered wings.”

You betwitched me, you evil magpie! -Chhk the Windmill King

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

The deal was 500 gems I believe, at a limited time offer.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Loading.4503

Loading.4503

My Holo shattered wings and foefires essence says hi, I look better than your angel wings and twilight

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

I bought both black and wing white, and you know what?

I never display the wing backpack because it is everywhere, bought them just because they only last for 1 day though.

The wings look very cool, yes, but i prefer GW1 cape so much more….

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

because they the closes thing we have to a cape.

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

Cosplay reasons.

Attachments:

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

Posted by: HaxTester.9816

HaxTester.9816

When I saw the winged statue in Forest of Niflhel map, I wondered about the existence of angel-like winged beings in the GW universe. Maybe this was just a GW artist’s fluff, not really lore related.

Attachments:

Anvil Rockers Unite!

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

Wings are here to further break immersion of this game.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Raiment of the Lich. Breaking immersion since Halloween of 2010.

Attachments:

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I don’t mind the wings at all….until a Charr or Norn with those things are blocking my view, especially when I’m trying to jump to the next location.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

I bought both the white and black wings because I liked them, and I like having the option to wear them is I so choose. I show them on my characters if I like the look.
No other reason needed.
End of discussion.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on them, of course… but that doesn’t mean I have to give a crap about it. So every negative nancy who wants to try and shove their angry, disgusting, vitriol-laden opinions down my throat about those wings (or anything else I happen to like) can shove it someplace else for a change.

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Kamara.4187

funny I’ve had them since GW1. Go brush up on your lore. And 2~ the world don’t revolve around your RP….

Posted by: Zalavaaris.5329

Zalavaaris.5329

This is the deal with wings

Attachments:

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Kamara.4187

This is the deal with wings

Tad creepy but cool lol.

Posted by: Tyloric.7520

Tyloric.7520

Have you ever played an mmo? >_>

Casteless Wind [Guild Wars 2]
The Secksy Monk [Guild Wars 1]
Stormbluff Isle – Storm Slayer Dragons [SDS]

Posted by: Wheatty.1892

Wheatty.1892

Harpy wannabes

Posted by: Trinnitty.8256

Trinnitty.8256

Wings remind me too much of Aion TBH.

Posted by: daxcip.2609

daxcip.2609

Couldn’t stop to think about this video ^^