What is the offical stance on names with funny symbols?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lord Marshal.3490

Lord Marshal.3490

Q:

Not trying to start a debate or ask what it should be. I’m asking what is Anets policy on names with funny symbols and tildas, specifically on US servers.

Thanks

Posted by: vox.5019

vox.5019

A:

On North American servers you can’t use any funny characters. If it’s not a part of the English language, the character creation screen won’t even let you use it (this even includes accent marks and other innocent things). European servers I don’t think have that issue. So if I wanted (and I have tried) to make an alt named Leilonì I can’t do it.

I play on servers in the NA world. I make characters with accented characters.

SOME characters are allowed, others are not. Do more research.

Considering that if they’re blocking any at all they had to go through and make a list as to which would be blocked (or vise versa), they are implicitly stating that the ones they have not blocked are allowed.

This industry just needs to move on. We’ve seen a bunch of “WoW 2.0” attempts, and
who actually wants that? Do we really want to be playing those same game mechanics for
another 5 or 10 years? -Mike O’Brien

Posted by: Revenant.2691

Revenant.2691

You mean accent symbols? Well, considering that they’re common in pretty much every language except American English, and that the game isn’t just in America…

Posted by: Zzulu.5489

Zzulu.5489

Why would they need a policy for them? They’re used in languages all over the world

Posted by: Dibrom.6408

Dibrom.6408

Used to be that if your name had one and you sent mail to someone that person would crash when trying to open it.

Since that issue is fixed I think they’ll be keeping them.

Arenanet: The paragon of truth.

Lord Marshal.3490

Some mmos had a no symbol policy, because people wouldn’t be able to type in their names; only click on them. I just wanted to know if symbols were cool in GW2.

Posted by: Leiloni.7951

Leiloni.7951

On North American servers you can’t use any funny characters. If it’s not a part of the English language, the character creation screen won’t even let you use it (this even includes accent marks and other innocent things). European servers I don’t think have that issue. So if I wanted (and I have tried) to make an alt named Leilonì I can’t do it.

Lord Marshal.3490

I play on US servers, and I see names with those symbols. So how are they doing it?

Leiloni.7951

I play on US servers, and I see names with those symbols. So how are they doing it?

Your not on a US server then because I have tried multiple times and there is a message in the naming screen of character creation that tells you you can’t do that. I have also not seen any funny characters on my server.

Here I found a video for you. It says right on the screen, “This name is using only English letters”.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=PhK_9Mv8sPg#t=754s

Lord Marshal.3490

Your not on a US server then because I have tried multiple times and there is a message in the naming screen of character creation that tells you you can’t do that. I have also not seen any funny characters on my server.

Here I found a video for you. It says right on the screen, “This name is using only English letters”.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=PhK_9Mv8sPg#t=754s

I play on BSI, were fighting JQ and HOD. Is that not a US server?

Leiloni.7951

Dude you asked a question and I answered it with proof. I don’t know what else to say to you. I’m not going to argue with you.

Lord Marshal.3490

Dude you asked a question and I answered it with proof. I don’t know what else to say to you. I’m not going to argue with you.

I wasn’t trying to argue. You had me wondering if I was playing on a EU server or something. I see people with symbols in their names, that I know for sure. I appreacite your input.

Thanks

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Considering that if they’re blocking any at all they had to go through and make a list as to which would be blocked (or vise versa), they are implicitly stating that the ones they have not blocked are allowed.

This seems like the best logic to me. If you want to use a symbol in your characters name give it a try, if you can just type it in and it works then it’s safe to assume it’s allowed.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Leiloni.7951

This seems like the best logic to me. If you want to use a symbol in your characters name give it a try, if you can just type it in and it works then it’s safe to assume it’s allowed.

I would like to know what symbols those are because I’ve tried a lot of variations and the game never lets me. Naming an alt Leilonni or Leilonii is not preferred but I had to do both because every time I type in an accented letter it doesn’t accept it.

Posted by: rook.4625

rook.4625

@Leiloni

http://www.tedmontgomery.com/tutorial/altchrc.html

Most of the lowered cased letters with accents/marks work. Just copy and paste into game.

Leiloni.7951

@Leiloni

Most of the lowered cased letters with accents/marks work. Just copy and paste into game.

Yea those are the kinds of things I tried, lowercase letters with accent marks. I have no problem typing them in but when I click Submit it doesn’t accept them.

Posted by: Stephane Lo Presti

Stephane Lo Presti

Content Marketing Manager, French

Next

The Guild Wars 2 Naming Policy is available on this page:
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-naming-policy/

We cannot comment on individual names due to the large variety of names that players are able to create, but know that we take actions against inappropriate and offensive names, including account termination.

Posted by: Eleri Tezhme.3048

Eleri Tezhme.3048

That was my problem with one of my alts- it wouldn’t let me type the nifty little ‘thorn’ character (which, admittedly, is only used in Iceland…), so my Norn has a badly transliterated name, instead.

But, I am on a NA server, and I have seen accented characters in names. So it isn’t a myth. I wonder if they are creating the character on an EU server, and then world swapping?

EtA:
There’s actually nothing in that policy that addresses accented English letters, just making an offensive or inappropriate name.

There are perfectly valid reasons someone could want to use an accented letter in a name, letters like ñ or ü, but when making a character on a NA server, it will, supposedly, not let you use any non-English letters. So when we see someone running by who is using one of those characters, we’re curious how they got it to work.

(edited by Eleri Tezhme.3048)

Posted by: Kwami.4356

Kwami.4356

No need to world swap. I tested this on the first day of pre-release on a NA server. I was able to put accented characters into a name, despite the little notice in the bottom corner.

Posted by: myyth.6798

myyth.6798

Thats too bad that the Anet employee response was vague and didnt say yes or no to accented characters.
I read the list in the link provided and it didnt mention anything directly either.

Oh well, I had hoped that maybe this game I wouldnt have to see stupidly accented names, but I guess not.
I have already seen many names and some with accents over almost every letter.

Leiloni.7951

No need to world swap. I tested this on the first day of pre-release on a NA server. I was able to put accented characters into a name, despite the little notice in the bottom corner.

I guess certain ones work and some don’t then. I don’t know what the criteria for that decision would be, though lol. Seems odd they’d accept some and not others.

Posted by: krojack.4920

krojack.4920

@Leiloni

Yea those are the kinds of things I tried, lowercase letters with accent marks. I have no problem typing them in but when I click Submit it doesn’t accept them.

I’m on a NA server and my characters name is “Avellïn”. Yes that’s a funky ï and it’s code “139”. Only reason I did this is because right at launch someone already had taken “Avellin”. I mean within minutes.. I was sad and shocked.

80 Sylvari Ranger – Jade Quarry
» My current Guild Wars 2 game annoyances

Posted by: Eleri Tezhme.3048

Eleri Tezhme.3048

Oh well, I had hoped that maybe this game I wouldnt have to see stupidly accented names, but I guess not.
I have already seen many names and some with accents over almost every letter.

Yeah, there’s a big difference between using it because that’s the letter sound that goes in the name (or someone snagged your name!), and using it because it looks cool.

Hmmm, with the letters people are saying made it through, it looks like the criteria might be ISO Latin Aphabet plus some diacritics. I’d ask if anyone wants to test this and make a list… but there’s a lot of diacritics o.O

Posted by: CC Dalmarus.8397

Previous

CC Dalmarus.8397

Community Coordinator

With the answers above, this thread has run its course and shall be closed. Thanks for the discussion!