What is the point in Contested Waypoints?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sinmir.6504

Sinmir.6504

I just never got why they are necessary. They prevent you fast travelling to an event but then isn’t the whole point in having events so that people can take part? If your going for map completion or personal story then it is annoying if the nearest waypoint to where you are going is contested.
Then there are some like Mellaggan’s Valor Waypoint in Verdant Brink that is almost always contested even when there isn’t an event nearby.
I personally think it would be best if contested waypoints were just removed from the game completely or made conmtested a lot less than they are now.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Some waypoints become contested because they don’t want you to easily death rush an event – Tequatl for example.

Some are unlocked as you progress an event chain, acting like a checkpoint. The idea behind Orr for example is that you’re pushing the army through, setting up new camps and waypoints along the way. Mellaggan’s is the same, unlocking once the team arrives.

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

Honestly it’s to stop you from A, farming events and B. being a brutal victim of the event itself. You are more likely to suffer B than A. Sometimes, like all systems, it doesn’t work out.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Then have alternate WPs just outside the main area that activate when the main ones are contested. I have always disliked the number of WPS that are contested most of the time for no good reason. On example is pres like mega destroyer and people asking for help when many are in the cave waiting, peep are just not going to even attempt to get to pre. Many similar events take place where it just isn’t worth the long run.
Another like Thistlereed WP in Timberland Falls—-never has been repaired, no reason not to have that operating again.
The WP system has way more cons than pros.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Contestable waypoints should be down only when a specific event on top is up. There shouldn’t be the case (as is with some) that a waypoint is up only for a very short time. There should never be a case where so many waypoints are contested simultaneoulsy, that the nearest open one is half a map across. There definitely shouldn’t be any waypoints that are practically never uncontested (the Guild Puzzle ones, for example).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

DGraves.3720

Then have alternate WPs just outside the main area that activate when the main ones are contested. I have always disliked the number of WPS that are contested most of the time for no good reason. On example is pres like mega destroyer and people asking for help when many are in the cave waiting, peep are just not going to even attempt to get to pre. Many similar events take place where it just isn’t worth the long run.
Another like Thistlereed WP in Timberland Falls—-never has been repaired, no reason not to have that operating again.

I think the WP system itself was a good idea but like most good ideas it was a delicate one. Distance between waypoints and map hotspots isn’t equal so on some maps it’s dandy and on other maps it’s atrocious. Should there be some way to get into the Cathedral of Silence, Grenth’s temple, that doesn’t involve swimming across an entire channel? Probably. Alongside that why is it that you can just run up to Lyssa’s temple?

I’m just currently in Orr so those are off the cuff examples but it is truth; the waypoint system, regardless of contested or not scenarios, just wasn’t done with enough care. Its a pain to have the huge variances.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

The reason some waypoints become contested during events is because, to whatever logic controls the waypoint system, being dropped into an immediately hostile situation before you can react to it isnt smart. To be fair, that IS most events that contest waypoints, as they’re “held” by the enemy. More lore-related logic would be that the waypoints are “disabled” when overtaken or threatened like that to prevent said enemies from being able to use the waypoints themselves. I mean…. how else would karka get to Lion’s Arch? Being shipped in crates? HAH.

Aidan Savage.2078

I think the WP system itself was a good idea but like most good ideas it was a delicate one. Distance between waypoints and map hotspots isn’t equal so on some maps it’s dandy and on other maps it’s atrocious. Should there be some way to get into the Cathedral of Silence, Grenth’s temple, that doesn’t involve swimming across an entire channel? Probably. Alongside that why is it that you can just run up to Lyssa’s temple?

I’m just currently in Orr so those are off the cuff examples but it is truth; the waypoint system, regardless of contested or not scenarios, just wasn’t done with enough care. Its a pain to have the huge variances.

I’m fairly confident that in the later maps, they put waypoints into the game that made sense for lore reasons, given that the pact is pushing through Orr trying to kill zhaitan, not be glorified road workers. Not to mention Orr’s a hostile area anyways, where the environment is trying to kill you as well.

DGraves.3720

I’m fairly confident that in the later maps, they put waypoints into the game that made sense for lore reasons, given that the pact is pushing through Orr trying to kill zhaitan, not be glorified road workers. Not to mention Orr’s a hostile area anyways, where the environment is trying to kill you as well.

If we followed the logic of just points where the Pact settled there would be fewer waypoints. The difference in distances is pretty obvious and the fact that the pact sets up in a specific tactical fashion in one place but not another also is lacking in sense. For instance tactically speaking there’s nothing stopping the pact from creating a strong defense right outside the Cathedral of Verdance since, if they maintain Noose Road, they have a supply line that would be a stronger line than from Gavebeorn’s. Furthermore it would be equivalent to Wren Waypoint which is built right outside the temple of Lyssa using the cliffside because Cathedral of Verdance has steep cliffs on each side.

But it’s just a game. There are inconsistencies. The pact does nothing with Shipwreck Rock waypoint afaik. It has no lore value whatsoever and is just a waypoint because it would suck to keep walking/swimming there and back.

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

The contested waypoints in PvE maps are designed by same flawed logic that also gave us those new WvW Borderland maps (commonly known as Walking Simulator 2.0). Whoever made these thinks that best gameplay is about moving slowly from point A to point B.

DGraves.3720

Real statistic: 99% of all action movies have less than 20 combined minutes of action.

Real statistic: 99% of all gameplay in most games is walking or performing other mundane tasks.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Real statistic: 99% of all action movies have less than 20 combined minutes of action.

Real statistic: 99% of all gameplay in most games is walking or performing other mundane tasks.

Real Statistic??? LOL

Posted by: JBDanger.2603

JBDanger.2603

What kittenes me off is when a dungeon is contested and you cant go when you want. Instead you have to participate in stupid kitten events doing boring content you dont want to get to the content you want to do.

Aidan Savage.2078

What kittenes me off is when a dungeon is contested and you cant go when you want. Instead you have to participate in stupid kitten events doing boring content you dont want to get to the content you want to do.

Only CoF and CoE are like that. Also, you know both of those events can spawn champions that drop bags right?

Posted by: KestrelGirl.9267

KestrelGirl.9267

Another like Thistlereed WP in Timberline Falls—-never has been repaired, no reason not to have that operating again.

Also Mirkrise WP in Brisban Wildlands.

Posted by: Evasiion.3859

Evasiion.3859

When I did map completion my goodness this drove me insane. Especially Orr, sometimes just to get a POI near a wp it’s contested, and like every other wp on the map is contested, you can either choose the wp that makes you swim across hallways of the kitten map or walk across the kitten map with undead constantly keeping you in combat. Heh, i guess thats the fun of playing a game sometimes.

Incinerator/Meteorlogicus/Sunrise/Bifrost.
Syllariana, Ghostly Eva, M Ë S, Scarletta Marie, D R Ä K E.

Posted by: Artanis.4963

Artanis.4963

Real statistic: 81% of all statistics used in casual conversation are made up on the spot.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

99% is so overexaggerated. maybe it’s 50% and also heavily depending on your playstyle. If you are a RPGer you hardly fight at all. There’s not only black and white.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong