What is the point in liquid karma?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Minato.5294

Minato.5294

now that karma is account wide and not affected by karma boosters, what is the reason for rewarding them in consumable form?

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Some of the elder characters had a hard time chewing the solid form.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Hahaha awesome.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: Slither Shade.4782

Slither Shade.4782

secret ingredient maybe

Posted by: Zerole.7306

Zerole.7306

Makes it easier to add to types of loot bags that can award a varying amount of karma, such as Lost Orrian Jewelry Box.

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

To take the place of important loot, just like bags of coins.

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

The realist in me says: Was most likely the easiest way to make the change.

The optimist in me says: Zommoros will soon grant me different flavours by sacrificing a chicken and dust along with it.

The pessimist in me says: Silence!

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Bag of coins and karma consumables are pointless IMO. Karma consumables more so because these values won’t change and arent subject to rng. just reward us with karma and give us another item.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Zerole.7306

Zerole.7306

Bag of coins and karma consumables are pointless IMO. Karma consumables more so because these values won’t change and arent subject to rng. just reward us with karma and give us another item.

Lost Orrian Jewelry Box rewards karma consumables based on RNG.

VOLKON.1290

Karma consumables made perfect sense when introduced for the let you share karma with other characters when it was character bound. I’m sure at some point they’ll take a look at it, but it’s really not hurting anything leaving it the way it is.
One possible idea for the future would be to, instead of removing them, use them as ingredients in future recipes. For example, when creating furniture for a guild hall or housing area it would be nice to build the place up with a lot of good karma, you know?

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Curo.2483

Curo.2483

Agreed with OP.

We get all kinds of amounts of RNG coins from bags all the time (ie champ bags), so there should be no need for “bags of coins” or “liquid karma”. We know there already is a system in place to add currency in currency form, rather than item form. Please explain if I am wrong, and directly giving us karma actually is impossible.

Curo Lunesque – “Concerned Citizen and Community Builder”
NSP – northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

Made my evening!

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

The only purpose they’d serve is the fact that gaining Karma from opening a bag is odd.

Finding a tasty beverage in a bag and then drinking it to gain karma… makes more sense. ;s
Still wish they’d add an “Open/Use All” feature to the right click menu.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

There’s already too much loot “junk” as it is. Bags fill up so quick, and maintaining inventory space becomes a chore every 5 minutes or less. They need to get rid of these and other consumables from looting.

Posted by: Haralin.1473

Haralin.1473

same goes with luck, why the hell are there these luck drops i must klick on and get luck why not get luck directly?

Haralin Engineer
[Skol]

VOLKON.1290

same goes with luck, why the hell are there these luck drops i must klick on and get luck why not get luck directly?

Take a closer look at the chunks o’ luck when you get a chance. You’ll see that they’re listed as artificer crafting items. I suspect that in the future we’ll see recipes that use the luck drops.

Actually, going along with what I mentioned earlier… imagine crafting things for a potential home instance or guild hall that use, for example, wood, karma, luck and something else to create furnishings or the like? For example, a lucky horseshoe that gives your account a small boost to luck and karma based on the ingredients used when you have it hanging in your place?

I say don’t get rid of any of it. Instead, think of what else can be done with it!

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Nretep.2564

Nretep.2564

Bag of coins do have a use. It’s a random money drop from mobs (opposed to fixed event rewards) which is not affected by “increased gold find”.

Karma bottles are completely pointless aside from using up space, time and lifetime of mice (called QoL).

Posted by: TriggerSad.2597

TriggerSad.2597

Bag of coins do have a use. It’s a random money drop from mobs (opposed to fixed event rewards) which is not affected by “increased gold find”.

Karma bottles are completely pointless aside from using up space, time and lifetime of mice (called QoL).

Couldn’t the same reasoning you gave for Bags of Gold be applied to Liquid Karma? It’s a means for ArenaNet to give out karma to payers without having to worry about karma boosters from affecting it.

IGN: Despada
Guild: I Can Outtweet A Centaur [TWIT]
Twitter: https://twitter.com/TriggerSad

Posted by: Nretep.2564

Nretep.2564

Couldn’t the same reasoning you gave for Bags of Gold be applied to Liquid Karma? It’s a means for ArenaNet to give out karma to payers without having to worry about karma boosters from affecting it.

That’s actually a good reason. But I suppose it’d still be possible to give a fixed amount of karma when finishing daily/ monthly or opening orian/ champ/ dungeon boxes. Those things are the usual way to receive karma bottles. Events, Dungeons and FotMs should still be able to be multiplied.

Posted by: Leamas.5803

Leamas.5803

You need over 1000000 karma buy all the obsidian shards required to make a legendary weapon and shards are used to make all kinds of other shinies. At 2100 karma per shard, and you need about 475 for a legendary, every little bit helps. 600 karma per daily and 6000 for the monthly, if you do it all it adds up to about 24000/month and you need what…about 50 times that just for a legendary. It used to be 4500 karma for daily and I don’t know how much for monthly, but they were both nerfed quite heavily because people were getting legendaries too quickly.

Rouven.7409

You need over 1000000 karma buy all the obsidian shards required to make a legendary weapon and shards are used to make all kinds of other shinies. At 2100 karma per shard, and you need about 475 for a legendary, every little bit helps. 600 karma per daily and 6000 for the monthly, if you do it all it adds up to about 24000/month and you need what…about 50 times that just for a legendary. It used to be 4500 karma for daily and I don’t know how much for monthly, but they were both nerfed quite heavily because people were getting legendaries too quickly.

While this is a bit off topic from why karma still is liquid …

How many dynamic events would you say you do on an average basis and what amount of karma would you assign to that?

Posted by: Leamas.5803

Leamas.5803

The amount you get varies on your level, but you’d have to do a lot.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Karma

For DEs at 80 and no DR you get 378 karma for gold participation, so you’d need to do about 2700 level 80 events. At current, I’ve done 1485 events total, not just 80s, and I have 634444 karma…very little of which I’ve ever spent, perhaps 50000. On average I don’t do a great many DEs anymore…perhaps a few a week and my main and maybe 10 or so a week on the alt I just started leveling.

As for why it’s still liquid in some cases…my guess it that it goes back to before there was an account wide wallet and since they’re account bound you could collect them all on to a single alt for purposes of amassing all your karma across all alts in one place to expedite the creation of legendaries.

(edited by Leamas.5803)

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

My theory of why is it still in liquid form is that the other ways to get karma (events, fractals and so on) don’t seem to be designed to work with RNG in mind, the amount of karma you get depends only on fixed factors (level, participation in case of events, difficulty in fractals and so on) while, for example, the ones you get in the orrian boxes and champion boxes, depend on RNG.

Still I’d like the cases where the amount of karma you get if fixed (dailies, monthly, achievements) to be handed directly instead of an item, though it’s not really that much of a deal anyway.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Rouven.7409

The amount you get varies on your level, but you’d have to do a lot.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Karma

For DEs at 80 and no DR you get 378 karma for gold participation, so you’d need to do about 2700 level 80 events. At current, I’ve done 1485 events total, not just 80s, and I have 634444 karma…very little of which I’ve ever spent, perhaps 50000. On average I don’t do a great many DEs anymore…perhaps a few a week and my main and maybe 10 or so a week on the alt I just started leveling.

As for why it’s still liquid in some cases…my guess it that it goes back to before there was an account wide wallet and since they’re account bound you could collect them all on to a single alt for purposes of amassing all your karma across all alts in one place to expedite the creation of legendaries.

Sorry, I meant this because you stated a potential karma income based on the daily/monthly.

Honestly, I don’t keep track of these things per se, but what I do is look at my currencies every once in a while with no particular schedule. The Karma change was in september – so let’s say 4 months. Now I am … very forgetful when it comes to consumables, so other than the occasional banner buffs I never have a karma modifier active on me – except now the permanent account one – currently 6% for me.

I believe I started the change with around 1m karma and that is the value I kinda keep, since then I bought a stack of obsidian shards (525k karma) for the mastery gift and a few more actually plus other things and I still have currently around 1.2m karma.

My typical gameplay does not include hunting for events, but including the ones done for daily and monthly I guess it does add up – I’d wager maybe an average of 10-15 per day (guessing a bit lower).

Let’s take a low number of 10 DEs per day at 200 karma each and we are looking at an added 60k per month (if we play every day, same as your estimate above). Plus your account modifier plus any potential other bonus here and there – let’s make it 66k plus your 24k and we are at 90k per month.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

So that there is still one form of karma/gold that is not affected by buffs, obviously. It allows anet to award large chunks of currency without having that large chunk scale to a chunk so large it’s horribly out of balancein favor of veteran players with tons of gold/karma buffs.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Rouven.7409

So that there is still one form of karma/gold that is not affected by buffs, obviously. It allows anet to award large chunks of currency without having that large chunk scale to a chunk so large it’s horribly out of balancein favor of veteran players with tons of gold/karma buffs.

Doh, now there is a thought. But hold on a second, I click on it and the system says: “give him 600 karma that’s it” – so it is possible … so why can’t I click on my daily window to accept my items and money and … laurel … and instead of getting the bottle the system just says: “give him 600 karma that’s it.”?

At the end of the day it’s not a huge deal anymore, but a small qol feature.

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Liquid Karma’s gonna get you!

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

To be able to give you karma in multiple ways.

It’s easier to give you an item in a mail than recoding mails to send karma.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!