What is the point in transmutation stones?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lord Krilik.3692

Lord Krilik.3692

Hi all

As the title says, I’m asking what is the point in transmutation stones?

From my understanding, this kind of functionality is normally introduced to assist for reasons such as (but not limited to) balancing the economy. For example, some ascended recipes are time-gated so that the ingredients required don’t suddenly fluctuate wildly in price on the TP.

When it comes to transmutation stones however, I just don’t see the point? Changing your skin has literally no effect whatsoever on other players, or even the game environment itself. It’s an entirely personal thing that neither effects your stats or your game-play.

Therefore, what is the point in limiting us? It’s especially strange to consider in a game with so many skins available, and where one of the main rewards is in the pursuit of such skins.

Anyways – all thoughts and comments are welcomed. Perhaps I’m simply missing something.

EDIT: I’ve used the word “stones” rather than “charges”, which has rightfully been pointed out. They were renamed to charges when the wardrobe feature was released. I’ve spoken out of habit here I’m afraid.

EDIT 2: General consensus is that charges are simply a money-grab, or one of the games “carrots-on-a-stick”. Those are pretty pessimistic terms for sure, but that’s what comes from such vitriolic responses. I should have expected as much really.

(edited by Lord Krilik.3692)

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

There is one simple answer to that, they have added it as a way to earn money. Singleplayer games don’t have to worry about things like this because they (usually) sell a box or a single game (with dlc or whatever) so they don’t add features like this. With transmutation stones people will stick to their looks longer and might spend money if they want to change it. It’s not too annoying for most as you do get a decent amount from map completion etc and it’s also not too expensive for those that want to get more stones.

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

I want the stats of berserker armor but the style I want doesn’t come in berserker.

Therefore, I transmute my berserker armor into the style I want.

You don’t see the point in making a decent looking character and not like a 5 year old dressed you? Image, man, image.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

I think historically, the transmutation system had to do with “realism”: you couldn’t just change your armor appearance on the go like that, but you could use a “spell” that made your current armor look like an armor you had in your inventory.

Of course, with the wardrobe, this realism is gone (and I don’t mind, I think it was a great change), but the stones stayed. Will Anet get rid of them in the future? Maybe, but I think they are still earning money by selling them on the TP, even if there are plenty in the game (I changed the appearance of 8 characters in two weeks and still got some).

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

@Phokus I think what he means is why not allow looks-changing without the use of stones (as in, just being able to change whenever you want for free).

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

@Phokus I think what he means is why not allow looks-changing without the use of stones (as in, just being able to change whenever you want for free).

Good point, thanks for the clarification.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

Posted by: Many.8419

Many.8419

If you dont want to pay for changing look you can buy outfits.
Transmutation system in GW2 is extremely fair and streamlined and transmutation charges are easily earned with normal gameplay therefore any argument about forced paywall is invalid.

Lord Krilik.3692

I want the stats of berserker armor but the style I want doesn’t come in berserker.

Therefore, I transmute my berserker armor into the style I want.

You don’t see the point in making a decent looking character and not like a 5 year old dressed you? Image, man, image.

I’m not sure you read my post. I wasn’t questioning what the stones did, I was questioning why they were necessary. Why not just remove them so we can change skins till the cows come home?

Lord Krilik.3692

This is exactly what i meant, thanks

Lord Krilik.3692

If you dont want to pay for changing look you can buy outfits.
Transmutation system in GW2 is extremely fair and streamlined and transmutation charges are easily earned with normal gameplay therefore any argument about forced paywall is invalid.

Hello

I’m not saying anything about forced paywalls, I’m questioning the reason for the stones. What does having the stones in the game actually accomplish for Arenanet or anyone else? Why not just let us change skins when we want? I would still buy gem-store skins if they removed transmutation stones…

Many.8419

transmutation charges are constant income for arena net since the release when lvl 80 tran charges were only gem store item

Lord Krilik.3692

There is one simple answer to that, they have added it as a way to earn money. Singleplayer games don’t have to worry about things like this because they (usually) sell a box or a single game (with dlc or whatever) so they don’t add features like this. With transmutation stones people will stick to their looks longer and might spend money if they want to change it. It’s not too annoying for most as you do get a decent amount from map completion etc and it’s also not too expensive for those that want to get more stones.

I think, for me at least, I would be more willing to pay money on the gem-store for skins if I also didn’t have to be concerned about whether I have the ability to actually use them.

Right now there is this odd balance of “do I buy that outfit, knowing I can’t customise beyond color but don’t need stones to use, or do I buy that armor set even though it’s going to cost me 6 stones to use, making me feel as though I need to ‘commit’ to that look for longer just to feel as though I’ve got my money’s worth (because I point blank refuse to spend my money on extra stones)?”

It’s a weird place to be in, psychologically, and I feel that if they removed the stones, spending my money on skins would be much clearer and easier.

Many.8419

Again, I understand your argument about buying more skins. Almost. Because skins come free to apply first time. I have already explained in this thread that you can buy skins once and forget about gemstore while transmutation charges are constant income.

This is fair system. Additional services should be paid especially for non-sub game and trans charges are not affecting gameplay in any way.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

They are necessary because anet needs to feed their children just like the rest of us. They aren’t working for free and this is a perfect way to make money without restricting content.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

How about a Permanent Transmutation stone from the gem store? You might want to read the thread about it and vote in the poll. Poll-Unlimited Transmutation Stone

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: JoshuaRAWR.4653

JoshuaRAWR.4653

Because otherwise we’d have hundreds of people running around all wearing the set from CoF.

How about a Permanent Transmutation stone from the gem store? You might want to read the thread about it and vote in the poll. [url=https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Poll: Unlimited-Transmutation-Stone]Poll-Unlimited Transmutation Stone[/url]

not needed, you can already get a stupid amount of them.

Plus if that was to be introduced, it wouldn’t be put in the gem store i can guarantee you that.

It’d be placed in a black lion chest and players would value it at 1.5k gold or more like the reusable contracts we already have.

Warrior 80 | Guardian 80 | Ranger 80 | Engineer 80 |
Thief 80 | Elementalist 80 | Mesmer 80 | Necromancer 80 | Revenant TBA

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

The point is its a cosmetic item that they can monetize that (as you pointed out already) has 0 affect on the actual game play. As the gemstore is their primary source of income, certain cosmetic and convenience items are bound to be monetized (not that you can’t get trans charges super easy in game anyway) and are preferable to having something like stats monetized instead.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Transmutation Charges generate revenue for ArenaNet. If you want to cut off that revenue stream, it has to be made up elsewhere.

Your $10 gemstore skins are now $30 to make up the lost revenue, plus you now have to buy $20-30 Wardrobe Charges to unlock individual skins in your wardrobe (which can be applied for free once unlocked).

See how that works?

We’ve got the best layout right now. People who change their gear a lot fund the game and people who don’t get enough free charges to still change their looks from time to time.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Players coming from games that have monthly subscriptions need to think about a few financial truths about THIS game:

1. The Servers do not run for an extended period of time on your $20-$60 original investment. Money MUST be earned by the company on some sort of regular basis (per your monthly subscription in that OTHER game).
  2. Anet has limited methods to earn money to keep the Servers running AND make a profit (despite some players here’s opinions, that IS what a business is designed to do).
  3. After players initial investment, the ONLY method for Anet to make money is gem sales via RL money. Period.
  4. Anet has ALWAYS maintained that in order to actually PLAY the game itself, no additional RL money expenditure would be needed. The fact that you can convert gold to gems makes this 100% true in all cases (argument could be made that STORAGE is the exception, but it is purchased with gems that can be bought via in-game gold).
  5. OPTIONAL content (visual style, changes, etc.) and convenience items need to have the potential to earn money for the company. PERIOD.
  6. Anet has provided FREE content updates up to the point of the HoT expansion (and beyond that expansion). Arguments have been made that the introduction of an expansion (Heart of Thorns) is changing this point (PAYING for content) but it remains to be seen if the “price is right”.
  7. While some argue the (previous FREE) content provided is lacking or sparce or not what players really want, it IS FREE to anyone that purchased the game (some timed log in requirements have been made to unlock certain content).

The game is based on these facts and while you don’t have to like the economic model your choices are to accept it or play something else.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Posted by: Godmoney.2048

Godmoney.2048

Players coming from games that have monthly subscriptions need to think about a few financial truths about THIS game:

1. The Servers do not run for an extended period of time on your $20-$60 original investment. Money MUST be earned by the company on some sort of regular basis (per your monthly subscription in that OTHER game).
  2. Anet has limited methods to earn money to keep the Servers running AND make a profit (despite some players here’s opinions, that IS what a business is designed to do).
  3. After players initial investment, the ONLY method for Anet to make money is gem sales via RL money. Period.
  4. Anet has ALWAYS maintained that in order to actually PLAY the game itself, no additional RL money expenditure would be needed. The fact that you can convert gold to gems makes this 100% true in all cases (argument could be made that STORAGE is the exception, but it is purchased with gems that can be bought via in-game gold).
  5. OPTIONAL content (visual style, changes, etc.) and convenience items need to have the potential to earn money for the company. PERIOD.
  6. Anet has provided FREE content updates up to the point of the HoT expansion (and beyond that expansion). Arguments have been made that the introduction of an expansion (Heart of Thorns) is changing this point (PAYING for content) but it remains to be seen if the “price is right”.
  7. While some argue the (previous FREE) content provided is lacking or sparce or not what players really want, it IS FREE to anyone that purchased the game (some timed log in requirements have been made to unlock certain content).

The game is based on these facts and while you don’t have to like the economic model your choices are to accept it or play something else.

Wow you put way too much effort into this. The OP obviously can’t grasp these types of “complex” issues.

I was just going to say “Too make money” “Too make money” “Too make money” “Too make money” “Too make money” “Too make money” “Too make money” “Too make money” “Too make money” “Too make money” “Too make money” “Too make money”

I think he can understand that simpler message better.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

My (yes, way too complex) explanation, wasn’t really directed at just the OP, but the large influx of new players that are coming from a certain monthly subscription based game. I like the idea they want to play GW2, but I’m getting annoyed that every suggestion and question tends to insinuate that GW2 should be changed to make it LIKE that other game.

GW2 is a successful (if not as popular) alternative to that game for a reason (because it IS different).

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Posted by: Arkinos.7245

Arkinos.7245

The point is that Anet makes money every time you want to change your skins.
Yeah sure you get some for free, but those are more like freebees from the drug dealer.

Once you are hooked up, you will buy them to sustain your habits.

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

The point is that Anet makes money every time you want to change your skins.
Yeah sure you get some for free, but those are more like freebees from the drug dealer.

Once you are hooked up, you will buy them to sustain your habits.

Good analogy. Play some pvp, it will help you sustain your dandy lifestyle.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Show some backbone people. “Gee I have a few of these things that would let me alter my armor’s appearance, should I save them until I’m level 80 or change my looks everytime I upgrade my armor as I’m leveling to 80? But that’ll mean I would have to actually spend money to get more. True, it’s less than going to see that new movie this weekend even without the popcorn and soda but shouldn’t I be able to play the way I want for free?”

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Show some backbone people. “Gee I have a few of these things that would let me alter my armor’s appearance, should I save them until I’m level 80 or change my looks everytime I upgrade my armor as I’m leveling to 80? But that’ll mean I would have to actually spend money to get more. True, it’s less than going to see that new movie this weekend even without the popcorn and soda but shouldn’t I be able to play the way I want for free?”

rofl!

So true… so true. My husband and I went to see Insurgent last weekend and it cost us $50 after tickets and snacks (2 sodas, 2 pretzels, and a popcorn to share). That’s a lot of freaking trans charges!

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

rofl!

So true… so true. My husband and I went to see Insurgent last weekend and it cost us $50 after tickets and snacks (2 sodas, 2 pretzels, and a popcorn to share). That’s a lot of freaking trans charges!

You could have bought and unlimited transmutation charge for that much! …If it were available. =P

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Torenn.2598

Torenn.2598

I still prefer a monthly subscription fee to a gem store/cash shop. It keeps me invested in the game and I don’t get the feeling that certain things were designed to be just annoying enough to push me towards purchasing a convenience item. GW2 is pretty good with this to the point where it doesn’t feel slimy, but still. The subscription fee does limit how many MMOs I play at any given time, but I tend to focus on one at a time anyway since they’re all huge time-sinks.

Behellagh.1468

rofl!

Not as much as you would think, 155 of them with 130 gems left over (or 150 with 400 gems left over for a simple armor piece or Bobblehead Lab).

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Rakku.6793

Rakku.6793

Although i am fine with the transmutation stone, Secret World does not require stone to switch skins. Instead, they have a price for a single character unlock and a price for account unlock (about 15% more).

I find this way better than the stones but that is just my opinion

(edited by Rakku.6793)

LanfearShadowflame.3189

rofl!

Not as much as you would think, 155 of them with 130 gems left over (or 150 with 400 gems left over for a simple armor piece or Bobblehead Lab).

155 is a lot for me though. I presently have over 100 as it is, and with all the mapping i’m doing, I’m getting more by the day.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I think there’s some confusion here. You can change the looks of things any time you want by changing armor. If you want to apply a wardrobe skin to existing armor, you can do that by spending transmutation charges. The consumable called ‘transmutation charge’ exists because people tend to pay more attention to stuff they interact with, as opposed to currency that just auto-deposits into the wallet.

I’m sure everyone would prefer a system that didn’t involve an in-game cost for changing skins, but I’m sure everyone would prefer to have a new car every year, too, if they didn’t have to pay for it. It seems reasonable to me that ANet charges an in-game fee for it, especially since the game provides so many ways to get charges without spending RL money for them.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

OP, you are right. From a gameplay point of view, the Transmutation Charges are pointless.

In fact, there are two very interesting systems in the game: in one hand, we can change the skin of any item. In other hand, we can change the stats of an item (which happens, for example, in the legendary weapons). Combining those two systems would lead to a situation in which it’s possible to completely split skins and stats, so players would easily be able to change builds on the fly, thus adding more variety to gameplay.

Unfortunatelly, doing so would remove the two things ArenaNet values the most in the game: a way to milk money from players (since that’s why transmutation charges exist) and grind (since, if we could freely change the stats of items, there would be no point in grinding for multiple ascended weapon sets).

ArenaNet’s excuse, often regurgitated, was that they need to make money somehow, considering how much content we got for free. Now that they are boxing the Living World Season 3 and calling it an “expansion”, that excuse has become invalid, but that won’t stop ArenaNet from trying to milk money as much as possible. They may not even have that many choices, considering how much they invested in the underperforming China release.

(Incidentally, the excuse was weak in the first place. For a new player who buys the game today, well, Season 1 doesn’t exist; Season 2 already has to be paid for; and Season 3 will be sold as an expansion. What does that player get “for free”? The feature packs? Hah, I wish those had been sold, so I wouldn’t have bought the delightful “NPE Feature Pack”.)

It’s rather obvious that a poor game studio is one that makes changes to a game that are bad for the players, but good for the studio itself. The Transmutation Charges, the scam-like lottery system for weapon skins, the fact the content some people will buy – HoT – will come with just a few legendaries while ArenaNet makes almost monthly releases of weapon skins in the Gem Store… All of those make it rather clear which kind of developer ArenaNet is.

Behellagh.1468

How is offering an expansion make the cash shop invalid? What paid for the last 2 plus years of development including the expansion? Gee, let me think. The Cash Shop?

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Prototypemind.4026

Prototypemind.4026

I still prefer a monthly subscription fee to a gem store/cash shop. It keeps me invested in the game and I don’t get the feeling that certain things were designed to be just annoying enough to push me towards purchasing a convenience item. GW2 is pretty good with this to the point where it doesn’t feel slimy, but still. The subscription fee does limit how many MMOs I play at any given time, but I tend to focus on one at a time anyway since they’re all huge time-sinks.

The number of subscription-based MMOs that don’t have a cash shop as well is rather miniscule, so finding one without the other isn’t by any means going to be the norm going forward. More likely B2P or F2P with cash shops attached will be what most games offer their players.

Posted by: Torenn.2598

Torenn.2598

The number of subscription-based MMOs that don’t have a cash shop as well is rather miniscule, so finding one without the other isn’t by any means going to be the norm going forward. More likely B2P or F2P with cash shops attached will be what most games offer their players.

I don’t mind a cash shop as long as they don’t go overboard with it. From what I remember of playing WoW, you could buy mounts and pets and things but the bulk of the content was available as part of your subscription. I haven’t played in a while, so perhaps that has changed. That’s really disappointing if it has.

Posted by: Arkinos.7245

Arkinos.7245

ArenaNet’s excuse, often regurgitated, was that they need to make money somehow, considering how much content we got for free. Now that they are boxing the Living World Season 3 and calling it an “expansion”, that excuse has become invalid, but that won’t stop ArenaNet from trying to milk money as much as possible. They may not even have that many choices, considering how much they invested in the underperforming China release.

This is something that most people forget.

Living Story is not free content if its gated behind any sort of condition.

I started again back in December last year after quitting shortly after release and I dont get kitten for free. Its pretty hilarious if people tell me how much free stuff this game has, because for me GW2 has less updates than every other MMO I ever played.

1. Anet has provided FREE content updates up to the point of the HoT expansion (and beyond that expansion). Arguments have been made that the introduction of an expansion (Heart of Thorns) is changing this point (PAYING for content) but it remains to be seen if the “price is right”.
  1. While some argue the (previous FREE) content provided is lacking or sparce or not what players really want, it IS FREE to anyone that purchased the game (some timed log in requirements have been made to unlock certain content).

1. Since all LS content is time locked, people that buy the game after the content was released or didnt log in do not get any free content at all. Especially since the 2 feature packs since released arent any more content than what other MMOs just patch in for free anyway.

2. Post HoT updates arent “free” if they only update hoT content. After all you have to buy that content first to get the “free” updates that build upon this content.

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

So you are asking why in game based on skins devs charge you for changing your looks? Let me guess… they want money.

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Transmutation charge is one of the most worthy rewards you can earn from a PvP reward track. With so much demand for image optimization, I can easily see it as a carrot to attract people to a deserted game mode, or as a gold sink or a cash magnet. How often do you buy an outfit? Once in a while, right? But I have constantly gifted those transmutation charge because people love it and cannot live without it.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Lord Krilik.3692

My (yes, way too complex) explanation, wasn’t really directed at just the OP, but the large influx of new players that are coming from a certain monthly subscription based game. I like the idea they want to play GW2, but I’m getting annoyed that every suggestion and question tends to insinuate that GW2 should be changed to make it LIKE that other game.

GW2 is a successful (if not as popular) alternative to that game for a reason (because it IS different).

For the record, I didn’t come from WoW. I came from GW1.

I really have no idea how you’ve reached the conclusion that I wanted GW2 to be changed like another game. I can only assume WoW has a feature to let you change skins for free? honestly, I’m clueless here.

Thank you for your previous, detailed response, either way. I hope we’ve been able to clear things up for each other.

Lord Krilik.3692

Wow you put way too much effort into this. The OP obviously can’t grasp these types of “complex” issues.

I was just going to say “Too make money” “Too make money” “Too make money” “Too make money” “Too make money” “Too make money” “Too make money” “Too make money” “Too make money” “Too make money” “Too make money” “Too make money”

Fyi – it’s “to make money,”, not “too make money”.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

cool, so you can lecture people on the basics of english orthography, like an adult does for a child. You know what adults do beside that? Vote with their wallets if they dislike something. You know what a children do? Whine and bawl for the world changing to accommodate according to their wishes.

Lord Krilik.3692

How about a Permanent Transmutation stone from the gem store? You might want to read the thread about it and vote in the poll. Poll-Unlimited Transmutation Stone

Thank you for linking this, I had no idea.

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Just a moment on Transmutation ‘Stones’… I have 2 of these left over from when the wardrobe was implemented. I don’t wanna have to turf these out but it looks like they’ll become a relic of the ‘game that once was’…

… unless Anet wants to sneak in a Transmutation Charge in exchange for my remaining stones, kind of like what they did with partially-created Wintersday mini’s from 2012.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: Coffee.7058

Coffee.7058

Hi all

As the title says, I’m asking what is the point in transmutation stones?

From my understanding, this kind of functionality is normally introduced to assist for reasons such as (but not limited to) balancing the economy. For example, some ascended recipes are time-gated so that the ingredients required don’t suddenly fluctuate wildly in price on the TP.

When it comes to transmutation stones however, I just don’t see the point? Changing your skin has literally no effect whatsoever on other players, or even the game environment itself. It’s an entirely personal thing that neither effects your stats or your game-play.

Therefore, what is the point in limiting us? It’s especially strange to consider in a game with so many skins available, and where one of the main rewards is in the pursuit of such skins.

Anyways – all thoughts and comments are welcomed. Perhaps I’m simply missing something.

EDIT: I’ve used the word “stones” rather than “charges”, which has rightfully been pointed out. They were renamed to charges when the wardrobe feature was released. I’ve spoken out of habit here I’m afraid.

EDIT 2: General consensus is that charges are simply a money-grab, or one of the games “carrot’s-on-a-stick”. Those are pretty pessimistic terms for sure, but that’s what comes from such vitriolic responses. I should have expected as much really.

Money — things do not run on mom and dad alone.

Team Peenk

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Another game I am playing does allow infinite free reapplications of the skins bought from the their store but there is a catch. Each skin can only be used on one item at a time. Want Replica Job-o-Tron Backpacks on 2 characters? That’ll be 1000 gems(instead of 500 + 150). All must be paid with real money, no option to buy anything with gold.

Here we get transmutation charges from map completion, pvp or even just logging in.

Posted by: Napo.1230

Napo.1230

I get they need money but the fact they sell them in 5x quantities it just annoys the crap out of me since I have 6 bits of armor
It’s the hole hotdogs and buns situation and personally makes me not want to do it because its about making money by making you buy more that you don’t need.
Make them in bundles of 6 and ok

Lord Krilik.3692

cool, so you can lecture people on the basics of english orthography, like an adult does for a child. You know what adults do beside that? Vote with their wallets if they dislike something. You know what a children do? Whine and bawl for the world changing to accommodate according to their wishes.

I’d be interested in seeing the part of my post where I whined and bawled for something to be changed.

From what I can see when I re-read it, I appear to have asked why the stones (I meant to say “charges”) were necessary. The general consensus is “to make money”. Ergo, I have my answer.

(edited by Lord Krilik.3692)

Lord Krilik.3692

I get they need money but the fact they sell them in 5x quantities it just annoys the crap out of me since I have 6 bits of armor
It’s the hole hotdogs and buns situation and personally makes me not want to do it because its about making money by making you buy more that you don’t need.
Make them in bundles of 6 and ok

This is an interesting point. What about if you could simply alter the quantity to what you want? Maybe you have 3 already and need 3 more, rather than buying 3 single ones or a stack of 5, you could change the quantity to 3?

The stacks of 5 on some items (such as BL keys) appear to have been for convenience more than anything because you don’t save money on buying in bulk, so surely the most convenient option would be quantity changing?

Lord Krilik.3692

Another game I am playing does allow infinite free reapplications of the skins bought from the their store but there is a catch. Each skin can only be used on one item at a time. Want Replica Job-o-Tron Backpacks on 2 characters? That’ll be 1000 gems(instead of 500 + 150). All must be paid with real money, no option to buy anything with gold.

Here we get transmutation charges from map completion, pvp or even just logging in.

Thanks Kisanth – this is the only game I’ve played with skin changing, so I actually don’t know how it’s implemented in other games, or why (beyond allowing us freedom to customize our characters). That’s one of the reason I asked what the point of these stones are.

From what I can tell from the replies, those used to this sort of system have a preference for the way it’s implemented in this game. For me, as someone who’s never seen this kind of system in a game, I felt it was oddly restrictive and didn’t really see the purpose. It appears to boil down to money.

Posted by: Vyshan.2345

Vyshan.2345

Indeed, it is about money.

You get a lot of gameplay hours and content free of charge. Developers still need their salaries to be paid in some way, though.