What is the point in transmutation stones?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Godmoney.2048

Godmoney.2048

Another game I am playing does allow infinite free reapplications of the skins bought from the their store but there is a catch. Each skin can only be used on one item at a time. Want Replica Job-o-Tron Backpacks on 2 characters? That’ll be 1000 gems(instead of 500 + 150). All must be paid with real money, no option to buy anything with gold.

Here we get transmutation charges from map completion, pvp or even just logging in.

Thanks Kisanth – this is the only game I’ve played with skin changing, so I actually don’t know how it’s implemented in other games, or why (beyond allowing us freedom to customize our characters). That’s one of the reason I asked what the point of these stones are.

From what I can tell from the replies, those used to this sort of system have a preference for the way it’s implemented in this game. For me, as someone who’s never seen this kind of system in a game, I felt it was oddly restrictive and didn’t really see the purpose. It appears to boil down to money.

Well how else do they monetize the game? You think we all “like” the transmutation stones? Hell no. None of us here if we had our way would choose to have them in the game at all. But the fact that some of us know how expensive it is to cover health care, wages and rent for a large business like Anet means we’re willing to be OK with it.

I mean Anet’s offices are in Bellevue WA. It’s extremely expensive there to live and work. Most of the employees mortgages in Redmond and Issaquah are probably 1500-3000$ a month. You can’t even rent a apartment around here for less than 1200 for a single. A family home’s mortgage can be anywhere from 2000$ – 5000$ a month in the greater Seattle area.

So they sell skins, box copies, convenience items, transmutation charges. How else should they come up with the money? I don’t know what they’re monthly expenditures are but I can only guess it’s a ton.

Posted by: Lord Krilik.3692

Lord Krilik.3692

Another game I am playing does allow infinite free reapplications of the skins bought from the their store but there is a catch. Each skin can only be used on one item at a time. Want Replica Job-o-Tron Backpacks on 2 characters? That’ll be 1000 gems(instead of 500 + 150). All must be paid with real money, no option to buy anything with gold.

Here we get transmutation charges from map completion, pvp or even just logging in.

Thanks Kisanth – this is the only game I’ve played with skin changing, so I actually don’t know how it’s implemented in other games, or why (beyond allowing us freedom to customize our characters). That’s one of the reason I asked what the point of these stones are.

From what I can tell from the replies, those used to this sort of system have a preference for the way it’s implemented in this game. For me, as someone who’s never seen this kind of system in a game, I felt it was oddly restrictive and didn’t really see the purpose. It appears to boil down to money.

Well how else do they monetize the game? You think we all “like” the transmutation stones? Hell no. None of us here if we had our way would choose to have them in the game at all. But the fact that some of us know how expensive it is to cover health care, wages and rent for a large business like Anet means we’re willing to be OK with it.

I mean Anet’s offices are in Bellevue WA. It’s extremely expensive there to live and work. Most of the employees mortgages in Redmond and Issaquah are probably 1500-3000$ a month. You can’t even rent a apartment around here for less than 1200 for a single. A family home’s mortgage can be anywhere from 2000$ – 5000$ a month in the greater Seattle area.

So they sell skins, box copies, convenience items, transmutation charges. How else should they come up with the money? I don’t know what they’re monthly expenditures are but I can only guess it’s a ton.

I never said I wan’t ok with buying stuff. I buy things on the gemstore, and often with actual cash rather than gold conversion.

I also fully understand why they monetize through optional purchases.

It was simply something about the transmutation charges that i just didn’t see the need for, what with being able to purchase skins and the pursuit of rewards in this game being largely about obtaining new skins.

I think I wasn’t really thinking of them as convenience items in the same was as the rest. I mean, purchasing a permanent logging axe so that I don’t have to keep buying more at the vendor, that really is convenient. Purchasing charges so I can utilise the in-game wardrobe, which in itself is a core feature… That seemed more like something that should just be a given.

I get it though. I get why they are, ultimately, convenience items. And I get why they are monetized (not something I ever actually questioned, it just happened to be that the answer to my “what’s the point?” was “to make money”, and thus conversation in this thread has focused, rightly or wrongly, on the gemstore).

Thanks for the input

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I still believe that transmutation charges contributed to the failure of the so-called cosmetic endgame and its replacement with the Ascended BiS pursuit.

Why? Psychology works against ANet with Transmutation charges. By and large, people are going to look at the idea of spending a little bit to transform each armor piece and weapon and will decide that one “look” is good enough for their character. This promotes stagnancy in looks, rather than characters freely switching outfits all the time.

Imagine, instead, a system in which — instead of hoarding charges for rare changes, — players would be able to develop multiple looks per character with the monetary decision being about whether you want another option to switch to rather than, “Do I want to buy (or farm) charges for a one-time change.”

What would be bought would be wardrobe slots. Each slot would allow a full set of armor looks plus weapon looks. However, once the slot was purchased, players would be free to change the skins in that slot at will. In order to be able to switch freely between multiple wardrobe slots, players would have to buy the slots. This would have encouraged multiple looks per character, which I believe charges discourage.

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

Point of charges? Putting your look together.. basically end game…cept you are an outfit drone obviosly. Like the stats of that armor piece and not how it looks? Transmute it, colour it like you want and click accept, issue fixed. Dont feel that burning greatsword you got anymore? Simple fix… transmute it to a different skin and done. Other points? Income for a-net, reasonable imo. Not that expensive and you easily can get them via map completion or pvp and even the daily. An ok system and somehow the devs gotta make money. Im totally alright with getting more charges when i get some armor skin i like and wanna use it (or parts of it) on other chars i got… thing is so far i never had to buy any of them and yes.. i do change my looks quite often, new shoulders here, some new gloves there.. you get the idea.

Lord Krilik.3692

I still believe that transmutation charges contributed to the failure of the so-called cosmetic endgame and its replacement with the Ascended BiS pursuit.

Why? Psychology works against ANet with Transmutation charges. By and large, people are going to look at the idea of spending a little bit to transform each armor piece and weapon and will decide that one “look” is good enough for their character. This promotes stagnancy in looks, rather than characters freely switching outfits all the time.

Imagine, instead, a system in which — instead of hoarding charges for rare changes, — players would be able to develop multiple looks per character with the monetary decision being about whether you want another option to switch to rather than, “Do I want to buy (or farm) charges for a one-time change.”

What would be bought would be wardrobe slots. Each slot would allow a full set of armor looks plus weapon looks. However, once the slot was purchased, players would be free to change the skins in that slot at will. In order to be able to switch freely between multiple wardrobe slots, players would have to buy the slots. This would have encouraged multiple looks per character, which I believe charges discourage.

Thanks – this is exactly what I was feeling. I even commented further up in the thread about the psychological “trap” i feel they put me in, whereby I end up hoarding them rather than using them freely.

If we didn’t need charges, and could change skins as much as we wanted, then the decision to buy a skin becomes less “big-bang” and much more enticing to buy many of them. As it is, I instead find myself doing this odd balancing act of sticking with a bought skin for a long time to “justify” the spend, and sticking with any other look for a long time because of the feeling that charges are somewhat valuable and using them should again, feel “justified”.

Lord Krilik.3692

Point of charges? Putting your look together.. basically end game…cept you are an outfit drone obviosly. Like the stats of that armor piece and not how it looks? Transmute it, colour it like you want and click accept, issue fixed. Dont feel that burning greatsword you got anymore? Simple fix… transmute it to a different skin and done. Other points? Income for a-net, reasonable imo. Not that expensive and you easily can get them via map completion or pvp and even the daily. An ok system and somehow the devs gotta make money. Im totally alright with getting more charges when i get some armor skin i like and wanna use it (or parts of it) on other chars i got… thing is so far i never had to buy any of them and yes.. i do change my looks quite often, new shoulders here, some new gloves there.. you get the idea.

Hi

I understood what charges do (change looks) but I was questioning why they were a necessity. Turns out, they are purely a cash-grab.

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

Hi

I understood what charges do (change looks) but I was questioning why they were a necessity. Turns out, they are purely a cash-grab.

Cash-grab? Wtf. Transmutation charges (not stones btw anymore) are the most honest way to make money off of your game.

1. It is completely optional
2. It doesn’t have stat or any other benefits
3. You get them for free too from lots of sources
4. You can buy it with gold if you want to

I’m not a huge defender of Anet, but holy-moly, calling Transcharges a cash-grab is beyond silly.

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

ofc, transmugation charges is a way for Anet/NCsoft or whatever to earn money. But on the other hand I have never ever bought any Transmugation charge from Store and I still have about 65-ish left. I change looks alot at that but I also do World compleation, PvP and Daily log ins so I get a fair deal of transmugation charges.

If you want to change the looks of your gear and don’t wanna do world compleation or PvP or whatever stuff you get charges from then go ahead and buy them, but it is your choise. There are atleast pretty easy ways to not buy them for real cash so in my opinion this is not a cash-grab.

Also while we are talking about cosmetic things, OP should be bothered with Total-makeover kits becouse they are pretty hard to come by in-game without spending gems. There are a few ways but not easy. But I would rather have cosmetic things in Gem shop than Pay to Win stuff and since this game is free I happely spend a few Swedish crowns a month to support GW2 and get some neat looks. But the best thing with GW2 is that if I can’t afford it, I don’t have to buy it and I can still play every part of the game.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

Hi

Well, that didn´t actually require sherlockian skills to figure out, did it? So what?

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

If that is a failure the cause is more likely to be the lack of variety. See the various threads about coats for medium and lack pants for light classes. I guess heavy is okay although it looks like the artist started with a barrel for several sets on a Norn and Charr and never really finished.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I get they need money but the fact they sell them in 5x quantities it just annoys the crap out of me since I have 6 bits of armor
It’s the hole hotdogs and buns situation and personally makes me not want to do it because its about making money by making you buy more that you don’t need.
Make them in bundles of 6 and ok

The only option there is no bundling at all and have an option to buy just 1 because …

a full set of armor 6
weapons i
then there is +1 for back
+2 for underwater
although this is not true for all classes

Then again my warrior has …
3 sets of armor
3 greatswords
3 hammer
4 axes
2 maces
2 swords
1 shield
2 longbows
1 rifle
1 spear
1 harpoon gun

Other characters are carry a smaller kitten nal.

Lord Krilik.3692

I get they need money but the fact they sell them in 5x quantities it just annoys the crap out of me since I have 6 bits of armor
It’s the hole hotdogs and buns situation and personally makes me not want to do it because its about making money by making you buy more that you don’t need.
Make them in bundles of 6 and ok

The only option there is no bundling at all and have an option to buy just 1 because …

a full set of armor 6
weapons i
then there is +1 for back
+2 for underwater
although this is not true for all classes

Then again my warrior has …
3 sets of armor
3 greatswords
3 hammer
4 axes
2 maces
2 swords
1 shield
2 longbows
1 rifle
1 spear
1 harpoon gun

Other characters are carry a smaller kitten nal.

An option to input the quantity you want to buy would be good, rather than doing multiple purchases. That would be nice as an overall feature in the gem store though.

Lord Krilik.3692

Hi

Well, that didn´t actually require sherlockian skills to figure out, did it? So what?

Hello

I’ve gone into a lot of detail on why I asked, and how I feel that the charges actually deter from a sale, rather than encourage one. Have a looksie and maybe it will make more sense.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I still feel that a gem store item with infinite number of charges is something ANet should offer.

If this would lose them money then make the item have an expiration date, such as 6 months. The price could be the average amount of gems spent on gem store charges/per account/for that time period. If that makes the item too high priced they can lower the timer on it to a time and price that is closer to what people are willing to pay. You can then use the item as many times as you want and at the end of the time period, you buy another.

This would open up the wardrobe for many people because it removes a perceived need to hoard charges. People can still get the charges in game or buy the single use charges if they prefer that route.

I’ve never bought gem store charges, but I would buy this as a convenience item to have unlimited changes without having to farm the charges in game.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

If that is a failure the cause is more likely to be the lack of variety. See the various threads about coats for medium and lack pants for light classes. I guess heavy is okay although it looks like the artist started with a barrel for several sets on a Norn and Charr and never really finished.

While there are a lot of armor sets for each weight, I also believe that the “sameness” of some aspects of armor skins (coats, and dresses/skirts/robes for light armor) was a factor. The third, and possibly most important, was/is the lack of “endgame” or “prestige” skins. That is being addressed, but slowly.