What is the point of Ascended?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: rjnemer.7816

rjnemer.7816

Originally it was introduced for agony resistance in fractals but Anet hasnt done anything with fractals since there launch

Whats the point in adding ascended if you arent going to even update fractals and make them worthwhile?

“If you want to get rid of “zerk” you have to make content
hard enough to make them cry, not just rivers but oceans."

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

In theory, Fractals can extend forever, it’s a matter of how deep you can go. Practically, your level of agony resist caps progress to a certain point.

More items that can be imbued with AR means the deeper you can go, even without new maps added.

rjnemer.7816

In theory, Fractals can extend forever, it’s a matter of how deep you can go. Practically, your level of agony resist caps progress to a certain point.

More items that can be imbued with AR means the deeper you can go, even without new maps added.

I know this. I have been doing a daily 48 for weeks now. Im just asking, why even add ascended in the first place if you are never going to update and keep the content fresh for what it was even designed for.

The rewards for Fotm are so poor. Only reason i do them now is im still trying to get my kitten fractal sword LOL

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Well, there IS a new map that’s supposed to be coming that was tied to the entire Cutthroat Politics thing. Beyond that, I have no idea.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

The point with ascended is simply a point on an ever ascending power curve. There is no point in ascended beyond that. What they introduced was not so much ascended gear as vertical progression, a non-optional gear grind that in theory produces incentive to play the game more. That’s it. It’s just about a gear grind, plain and simple.

rjnemer.7816

The point with ascended is simply a point on an ever ascending power curve. There is no point in ascended beyond that. What they introduced was not so much ascended gear as vertical progression, a non-optional gear grind that in theory produces incentive to play the game more. That’s it. It’s just about a gear grind, plain and simple.

Ascended does have its place in fractals. You wouldnt be able to do anything above fotm 10 without it.

That being said, i just wish they would take the time to actually update their only some what challenging pve content :p

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

Originally it was introduced for agony resistance in fractals but Anet hasnt done anything with fractals since there launch

Whats the point in adding ascended if you arent going to even update fractals and make them worthwhile?

I heard there was a new fractal coming, something about a reactor explosion? You might need to buff up your AR to get to it…

Posted by: Ace.3816

Ace.3816

I heard there was a new fractal coming, something about a reactor explosion? You might need to buff up your AR to get to it…

lf4m thaumanova fractal, must have full ascended zerker+liadri mini

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

You would most likely be able to do 3 new fractals at level 1 with 0 agony resistance.

rjnemer.7816

lf4m thaumanova fractal, must have full ascended zerker+liadri mini

Mini is a little over the top but i have no problem requiring ascended. You cant have people being under geared for the hardest content. You will only bring down your team.

If you dont have the ascended gear then make your own team. Chances are you wont beat the content or if you do, it will take forever.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Give you a false impression of end game which gw2 doesn’t have.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Well it was also a timesink between exotic and legendary but given they use some of the same mats that statement has been rendered false.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Ascended does have its place in fractals. You wouldnt be able to do anything above fotm 10 without it.

That’s only due to artificial mechanics that was introduced only to justify ascended gear and infusions. The fact that they have abandoned their original idea of introducing more similar mechanics to other dungeons and open world is telling.
And the reason for ascended has been directly stated by devs in November – it’s to give a small number of people that went after Legendaries in the first month of the game something to do. And a start of the “item progression” plan.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: MikaHR.1978

MikaHR.1978

Point is: to insult your intelligence.

They take stuff directly from F2P facebook games.

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Well there’s always Group Dynamic Events that you’re short-handed for…

Ascended gear should in theory give those less populated servers a shot assuming they’ve always had the skill to pull them off yet fell just short of the DPS check…

Well it was also a timesink between exotic and legendary but given they use some of the same mats that statement has been rendered false.

Source plz?? … Linsey in the last livestream very specifically was ignoring the questions about the progress they’re making on Precursors being attainable through non-RNG means. Then she finally answered that they have no news or updates on that, as if nothing’s changed one bit from a year ago. Which is not the least bit surprising after all the other promises they’ve thrown away just to push even more Skinner Box on us.

(edited by ilr.9675)

Posted by: MikaHR.1978

MikaHR.1978

Well there’s always Group Dynamic Events that you’re short-handed for…

Ascended gear should in theory give those less populated servers a shot assuming they’ve always had the skill to pull them off yet fell just short of the DPS check…

Source plz?? … Linsey in the last livestream very specifically was ignoring the questions about the progress they’re making on Precursors being attainable through non-RNG means. Then she finally answered that they have no news or updates on that, as if nothing’s changed one bit from a year ago. Which is not the least bit surprising after all the other promises they’ve thrown away just to push even more Skinner Box on us.

Its not in their interest to make precursors available that way any more….

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

Posted by: Unanimous.1486

Unanimous.1486

The point of ascended?

As opposed to the logical and promised way of emphasizing player skill over gear, Anet decided it’d be a good idea to throw whatever integrity they had out the window in favor of a system which some people (me included) specifically didn’t want, and most certainly wasn’t what they paid for.

Instead of making players play through content, such as beating a difficult dungeon to get to a creature who infuses your gear, a precursor dungeon if you must call it something, Anet decided that player skill should mean absolutely nothing. Well, nothing in regards to content other than grinding the same thing over and over to achieve this exact same end.
Now we get to grind all day every day to meet the daily requirements to get items which shouldn’t have existed in the first place, and for what? To do one dungeon… Fractals of the mist. They can try to spin the story as much as they want, such as fotm being multiple dungeons in one, but the truth is, it’s just one dungeon.

Let’s look at what has been going on:
People wanted challenging content for PvE, but all Anet could deliver was simple, repetitive and easy, all but Fractals of the mist, at least regarding the “easy” part, as higher levels of fotm do get tough.
A dungeon which gradually gets harder the more you “complete” it, is an excellent system. It allows people to show others (and themselves) what they’re made of.
This would have been fine if not for agony resistance. Instead of allowing players to find out how far they could go on their own, Anet added a gear check to a game which previously didn’t have it, well, at least not a real one, because exotics are relatively cheap and easy to get.
But instead of just adding infusion the way it was done in the original Guild wars, Anet’s next decision is what broke everything they had promised ever since they announced guild wars 1; They added Ascended tier.
Why did they do this? Ascended gear could have had the same stats as exotics, the only difference being that you could add +5 agony resistance to it, there was absolutely no need for ascended gear to be superior in any other way to exotics.
I am dumbfounded as to why Anet went this way, I had faith in Anet’s ability to come up with new content, but they did what a plethora of other (usually p2w) mmo’s out there do. They added gear treadmill. It’s so much easier to write 1045-1155 than it is to design actual content.

Arguing that “you don’t need ascended gear” is as ridiculous as it is false. First thing of course is, that if I don’t need it, ascended gear most definitely doesn’t need higher stats than exotics, I could make a counter-argument just as dumb as the original “Ascended gear should have the same stats as green gear”, because you don’t need them. But in reality, if I wanted to go deeper into fotm I need ascended gear. The tentacle creature will at some point wipe a team with no agony resistance no matter what they did. And people can’t honestly say, that the only reason we have a requirement for a whole new resistance in the game, is just because of one dungeon. Anet will add more content, and because they can’t think of anything else, they add agony to it if they think it’ll make it “harder”.
Or is anyone going to argue that after they’re done with fotm, they add a new dungeon with “agony-2”, which requires “agony-2 resistance”, and requires you to build gear specific only to that one dungeon.
But even if that was the case. There would still be no reason for ascended gear to have higher stats than exotics.

Anet messed up, they won’t admit it, simple as that. They can’t stop making ascended gear, because that would be to admit their mistake.
They promised me one thing and it took only a couple of months for them to show their true integrity. I didn’t buy this game, I bought guild wars 2.

Any other company and I wouldn’t be this offended, but I actually believed what they said. I wish I could get my money back, so that I could show that I do not want anything to do with what they’ve done with this game. But that’s not going to happen, what is going to happen is me quitting gw2 permanently, with absolutely no trust in Anet and a sour taste in my mouth because I can’t help but feel that I was worth nothing but the money I paid. They could at least be honest about that last part, instead of saying how much they care about their players.

The point of ascended gear? It was the easiest solution to a problem that didn’t even exist.