[Merged] Ascended Armor Impressions

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: papryk.6273

papryk.6273

WORST…looking…armor…ever…
I really have never seen in any other MMO such ugly armors.
srsly…anet please change the armor designer.

(edited by papryk.6273)

Posted by: ezd.6359

ezd.6359

What is the point of exotic/rare etc? I bet they planned it long before GW2 released. Ascended armor takes its place. That is all.

English is not my native language, sorry :<

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

they’re just releasing this to see how many of us are stupid enough to spend 300gold (possibly buy gems for it) for this atrocious looking set of armor. How the ^%&^ is the starting light female armor worth 30 copper better looking? I mean wtf is that o.O

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

(edited by Nuka Cola.8520)

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

what is the point of ascended armor?

1 only skin => trasmutation crystals.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

What is the point of exotic/rare etc? I bet they planned it long before GW2 released. Ascended armor takes its place. That is all.

Simple. Exotic is for gearing up and rares are for loot. It was perfectly fine without ascended armor because it cant be loot because they made it account bound and it wasnt necessary for gearing up because people had already done that. Yes it takes its place because it was forced there.

Posted by: Samuraizp.3896

Samuraizp.3896

This armors terrible as it even possible … most low lvl armor loooks much better then this …

Posted by: kiba.2768

kiba.2768

how great would it be, if anet put these fugly skins in to be datamined on purpose?

nice troll move.

but really. i have a story for yall.

my son is four. for halloween, he has made a request to be a knight(just like dear old pa…d’awwww). so we got him a nice costume. look here: http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/knight-costume/?pkey=challoween-costumes&. sweet right?

so. i pull up the picture of the ascended armor and tell him, ‘hey boyo, this is your knight costume!’

he looks at it and says, ‘no thanks, i’ll be a ninja.’ not even a why. guess he gets his sense of humor from me too.

oh, but who cares guys. my head is a venus fly trap when i equip that helm. a FREAKIN VENUS FLY TRAP GAIS.

well. story time is over.

really, anet? i had high hopes for some more fashionable wear to mix and match. if you’re trolling us, well, my hat’s off to you. i mean my venus fly trap face mask.

btw, i hardly say mean things. but i have to this time. i have no other feelings that can properly express my disappointment.

Posted by: Predator.1398

Predator.1398

These ascended armors look really terrible facepalm. Yeah, some pieces are ok but the overall look is terrible. For example – the proportions of heavy armor set on human male is quite unbalanced. The chest/helm has much less details than the pants/boots/gloves.
The shoulders’ size is too small and… again… different left and right shoulders??!

We just want normal cool looking armor skins… These are fail.

P.S. HoM Heritage heavy armor skin was almost perfect skin in the game for me before the Feb update where the shoulders size was dramatically increase for some reason. Now the shoulders look quite ugly and despite the fact that the issue was reported many times, Anet keeps ignoring the issue. Now I see what they are busy with…

(edited by Predator.1398)

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

i think i got what they’ll be doing in the future. Every armor added to gem store will look good and how in game armors should look. Every armor (be happy to received more than one set per year) added in game that is acquired by just playing the game will look fugly to the point of everyone just not bothering or if its higher tiers ppl will just transmute it which leads them yet again in gem store… anet is not better than ea these days i swear

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

some1 start a petition to rework this ugly creature from ground up! I want pants for light armor, been waiting for ONE YEAR and nothing, not a single good looking set. This armor is so disappointing its not even funny…

There’s some 7-ish sets that have pants and no major cape/trenchcoat type thing to cover them for light armours, weather you like them or not however is another story…..

Arisocrat’s
Ascolonian
Country
Embroidered
Magician
Researcher’s
Student
Vigil (sort of, only one leg covered)

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

(edited by Paulytnz.7619)

Posted by: ezd.6359

ezd.6359

how great would it be, if anet put these fugly skins in to be datamined on purpose?

nice troll move.

Btw it was my 1st thought when i looked at icons (exotics have same icons) and stats (almost same).

English is not my native language, sorry :<

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Looking at the light armor I am very much disappointed and im hoping there will be further modifications for it (a lot…).

What am I speaking of? If you choose a specific body type during character creation this can happen (it’s not just this armor but many others as well!)

http://prntscr.com/1upzon
Disregarding the hair clipping – look at the groin area. The underpants basicly penetrate the armor.

“Oh but you’ll be looking at your characters behind all the time”.
Well let’s have a look of the buttocks area
http://prntscr.com/1upzrs

What the hell…

How to fix these issues:
a) fix the armor (also change the whole look since it’s gross)
b) adjust the body type a bit
c) give ppl with these issues a free total makeover kit to change their body type…

I understand this as a ploy to sell more transmutation crystals but seriously – now you’re forcing people to buy total makeover kits unless you want total clip everything look.

edit:
for more reference – here are the inquest pants
http://prntscr.com/1uq28p

HAHAHA I feel so good for not getting ascended now. That’s what you get from grinding and time-gating: ugly looks. Trolololol

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Sirendor.1394

Gear treadmill.

“Zomg you have to be kid- … YES. GEAR TREADMILL!”

Posted by: xephire.8324

xephire.8324

Adds to the list

Armor design was probably done by the same people who’ve made voice acting, Achievements, Living Story, World bosses, blobs, skill lagg, Bloodlust, Personal story… actually the same people who made this game. Its ridiculously bad.

Even my 3 year old brother can draw a better looking armor than that pile of junk.

Sirendor.1394

dangles dat carrot

Zerging/farming/grinding rabbits eat carrot

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

nice troll move.

Btw it was my 1st thought when i looked at icons (exotics have same icons) and stats (almost same).

I wish that is what it was. Unfortuantely the data mined stuff is pretty accurate. I hope they are just trolling with it. To be honest I will never make these, just like I probably won’t ever make an ascended weapon. It doesn’t really bother me to have a few stat points less, I know I’m not going to be around this long. Maybe if I had any friends left that still played.

It does bother me though that the company I used to really like has resorted to this nonsense. Make armor that looks cool, don’t try to force your players to transmute stuff. That just isn’t cool.

Posted by: Lukasz.5316

Lukasz.5316

Haevy brestplate, helmet and legs look terrible i cant even imagine how bad thats gonna look on my charr…… pls change to more haevy look

Posted by: MikaHR.1978

MikaHR.1978

dangles dat carrot

Zerging/farming/grinding rabbits eat carrot

And then you get a new carrot every few months.

Kinda sounds familiar….like any other gear treadmill MMO out there.

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Love the shoulders and gloves, but rest of the heavy looks meh.

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

I think they shouldn’t move so far away from classical armor looks. Armors can look very good without so many excentric parts and details that are actually drowning armor looks. Simpler look with some well placed details.
Also, creating armor art without some lore background is risky, since it can turn out like this. I can’t recognize any theme of this armors too.
Mr. Daniel Dociu i expected more.

Posted by: Delryn.7235

Delryn.7235

Wow reading on all these negative comments I imagined the armors would be absolutely horrible. But I for one liked all of them, a lot! …except I have some issues with the heavy.

Love the light, finally much requested pants, it looks regal and royal and elegant. Just sad it’s all symmetrical but for once it doesn’t bug me because of how unique the armor looks.

Medium looks fantastic, like an epic dragon hunter. Those shoulders are great too. Although it’s still a skirt it doesn’t really look like all the other skirts, this looks more like a large loin cloth of sorts.

I have a big issue with the heavy “fat roll” look, but other than the chest and leg pieces it’s pretty kickin’. The helm looks fantastic, by far my favorite part about it. Looks like a mysterious dark knight while the shoulders just fit in perfectly, one being large metal and the other royal cloth.

All in all these armors look fantastically epic and royal, I approve.

Delryn.7235

Just as a breather – I for one am in love with the look of the new armors.

They won’t please everyone, but I’m glad an armor (or all three, actually) is finally being added to the game that I personally enjoy.

Also as far as bridging the gap, they meant in effort, time, and energy spent in gathering the items, not the stats.

Delryn.7235

I find the armor to look fantastic and when I saw it (all three of them) I had a mini heart attack. I neeeeeeeeeed those armors!

Edit; I’m just sitting here admiring the armor so much.

I know it’s not for everyone, but I personally hated all the armor that was added into the game since launch, this is a really good breather for me. Finally something I personally enjoy.

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

I wouldn’t have a problem with ascended armor if i didn’t have to freaking CRAFT to get it. I do NOT WANT TO CRAFT, I hate crafting in any MMO ever especially this one. They’re gating stuff to force you to do something you don’t want to do to remain competitive. If there’s no alternative way of attaining ascended gear once ascended armor is in, I’m done with this game for good. I’ve been here since day one, and this is it for me. I will not be forced to do stuff I absolutely loathe.

Great! Less overflow and wvw queue for me! Enjoy your next game, ta ta.

Posted by: MikaHR.1978

MikaHR.1978

Also as far as bridging the gap, they meant in effort, time, and energy spent in gathering the items, not the stats.

Like, it would take you 100 days to get legendary before, but now it takes you 120 days.

Its actually WIDENING the gap. Bridging the gap would be….using ascended weapon for precursor.

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

champ.7021

Just as a breather – I for one am in love with the look of the new armors.

They won’t please everyone, but I’m glad an armor (or all three, actually) is finally being added to the game that I personally enjoy.

We already had that. Good looking exotics bridged the gaps between only for stat exotics and legendarys. i.e. Infinite light, foefires essence, volcanus, whisperblade etc… those were the in between of exotics and legendarys then they added ascended because….reasons

Delryn.7235

I for one just want to speak up against all this armor hate!

You can’t and won’t please everyone, and not everything added to the game will fit your tastes, but I for one am just overjoyed with these new armors.

They look epic, fantastic, regal, royal, etc.

I personally disliked every single armor added to the game since launch and just had to deal with it. This is literally the first batch of armors I enjoy.

I just wanted to let it known that there are those who actually enjoy the armor, I’m looking forward to them.

In case you haven’t seen them, here’s the code so you can see them on your own characters;

Light
[&AgGJuwAA][&AgF5uwAA][&AgGHuwAA][&AgGIuwAA][&AgGKuwAA][&AgGGuwAA]

Medium
[&AgF9uwAA][&AgF/uwAA][&AgF7uwAA][&AgF8uwAA][&AgF+uwAA][&AgF6uwAA]

Heavy
[&AgGDuwAA][&AgGFuwAA][&AgGBuwAA][&AgGCuwAA][&AgGEuwAA][&AgGAuwAA]

Edit; on a side note… why another light armor mask? I mean we have so many light armor masks already, so many that at this point they kind of all just look the same. Why not some sort of hood, or hat for once?

(edited by Delryn.7235)

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

I can’t really say those pics showed me exactly how “bad” and “ugly” the new armour sets are. maybe if i actually see them in game i’ll recoil in fear, but just from those pics they look pretty ascended to me

it does however raise an interesting question… are we ever going to get ascended level armour from dungeons or cultural armoursmiths? i think we should (cultural especially)

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

ascended armor is just a marketing ploy by ANET.

they’ll introduced it as a new tier armor, means superior stats, but make it ugly as kitten, and then sell really cool looking skins so that you would buy it and apply it to your dearly ascended armor…..

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Just imaging how ridiculous the light armour would look on my norn mesmer makes me smile…

Maybe I should visit clown school first… ^^

papryk.6273

it looks regal and royal and elegant. .

looking like Gonzo the clown is elegant and royal? rly? xD

Posted by: Draco.2806

Draco.2806

Other than the occasional starfish head in there, these seem to look pretty great. I like Heavy armor in particular, reminds me of that one amazing Heavy armor set in the gem shop. Much more conservative design in terms of readability that still appears vibrant and detailed, good contrast, suitably refined for its top-tier level in gear progression.

Kinda pointless though, since it’s all for content that’s locked behind the kind of horrific grind that would make even F2P MMOs red with envy.

papryk.6273

looking like a clown is epic and royal? -_-"

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

The grind must go on.
The grind must flow.

I need to press one, one and one again!

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

I love some of the comments:

“Definitely the worst armor ever made in any MMORPG!”
“Worse than starter gear!”
3-year olds can do better!”

Yea, I don’t think so. It’s not your flavour, we get it, but ooh boy does the over-exaggerating hit hard here.

As for myself, I can already envision a couple of armor mix and matches which will look stunning. Who wears full sets anyway?

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Posted by: Magnus Steelgrave.6580

Magnus Steelgrave.6580

Probably just a matter of them having ascended everything else already so… armor time… I’m just glad I’m not one of those who feel the need to make sure every alt is maxed out in every way statistically, just my main, or this would probably bother me more. Now the extremely small chance at a silver lining.. maybe they’ll let us craft ascended breathers.

Evans.6347

Kefka pretty much became a god that ruled over the entire world. So that’s there.
Never judge a book by its cover.

Attachments:

Delryn.7235

looking like a clown is epic and royal? -_-"

Yes actually…

The style reminds me of those traditional regal balls, much like the Carnivals in Venice for example.

Attachments:

Posted by: Daendur.2357

Daendur.2357

plate looks good … i like it.

Black Thunders [BT] – Gandara

Posted by: Crescendoll.7612

Crescendoll.7612

The light armor looks amazing on human females. Just saying

Really looking forward to start crafting these! I just wish to god that celestial armour doesnt take longer than all the others, once again..

Space reserved for future witty pop-culture references.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I don’t think they look bad. I would transmute over them because I don’t think they look particularly good either though.

Posted by: Draco.2806

Draco.2806

Looks pretty great for the most part, I think. Pretty pointless since it’s Ascended though. What’s the fun in all this “cosmetic progression” if you have to grind to get there?

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

It’s probably time to quit when they bring those armors.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

Delryn.7235

it looks regal and royal and elegant. .

looking like Gonzo the clown is elegant and royal? rly? xD

Yes. Their style resembles more traditional European balls, such as the carnivals in Venice for example. Things which happen still today as a cultural celebration, just because it’s not a part of your culture doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

Attachments:

champ.7021

Probably just a matter of them having ascended everything else already so… armor time.

this is why im bringing it up. this is the last chance before they put this into the game and after this is updated theres no going back. Anet will not take it out and its all too sad that people are fine with it. I dont understand how. Can you imagine the grind it will take to get the pieces. If anet makes the whole set one craft then i wouldnt mind it and that would be at least a compromise. But if they make every single piece a separate time gated craft it will really suck.

Posted by: rosko.9254

rosko.9254

Would be nice if they have some unique features like changing to any stats anytime you want (or for small fee) then i wouldn’t complain but as for now having like +4 extra power, +x other stat is not what i really want to grind for…

Evans.6347

Aah the hypocrisy! Yesterday, the mobs were still yodelling: “Press 1-1-1-1-1-1 to win, no skill needed”, today it’s “Omg we HAVE to grind these armors or else we’re doomed, DOOMED!”

Or perhaps it’s more yesterdays “This game is boring, nothing to do!!!” replaced by todays “Omg, imagine how long this is going to take! Noooooo!”

I doubt you’re going to instantly drop dead the moment you set out in exotics.
shrug

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Aah the hypocrisy! Yesterday, the mobs were still yodelling: “Press 1-1-1-1-1-1 to win, no skill needed”, today it’s “Omg we HAVE to grind these armors or else we’re doomed, DOOMED!”

Or perhaps it’s more yesterdays “This game is boring, nothing to do!!!” replaced by todays “Omg, imagine how long this is going to take! Noooooo!”

I doubt you’re going to instantly drop dead the moment you set out in exotics.
shrug

Good point! Except that you still have to press 1-1-1-1-1-1 to get necessary ingredients.

Evans.6347

Not necessarily. A bunch of it can be gathered by pressing F repeatedly too.

You can ridicule all you want but it remains humorous to me that those who are most vocal about the ‘only press 1 to win’ are the ones who religiously preach the necessity of only one stat combination, trait spread and even skill rotation. Somehow, that feels contradictory to me.

papryk.6273

I will give you a better example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jester