What is the point of glass cannon?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ZeroArmada.9426

ZeroArmada.9426

I will never understand why people would prefer to go full offensive without ANY vit/tough and constantly grief the team they’re in. I was just in AC with 3 glass cannon warriors, and wow that was the most horrendous experience I’ve ever encountered. I don’t see how glass cannon even helps the team if you’re constantly going down, even IF you put out burst damage before being flicked by the slightest enemy.

Just why?

Posted by: Churros.7196

Churros.7196

because numbers

ZeroArmada.9426

because numbers

WHAT numbers? You’re dead before you get to use all your skills

Posted by: Groovy.6749

Groovy.6749

The point is super strength + high rate of crits. If the player knows how to handle his spec, then he should know when to hit hard, and when to retract to kite for a bit (because he accumulated too much aggro).

The idea behind a glass cannon is pretty good actually, it just requires a bit of finesse to pull it off effectively and continuously.

Also I don’t think the glass cannons are “actively” griefing their team. 10silver+ for amor repairs isn’t the way to go.

I believe the problem lies with how roles are assigned in the dungeons.
Who is supposed to keep an eye on the aggro, who is going to watch out for group conditions and drop in some support when needed, who is going to make sure that red bar keeps going down, etc…
In my opinion, part of the problem lies with ANet’s design, aka removal of trinity. I mean if you’re going to remove a major part of how groups in MMOs synergize because it’s dated is a GREAT idea….but if you leave that gap unfulfilled, then it is not revolutionary at all. It’s clumsy. Most players do not know what to expect from one another, and generally 95% of the dungeon strategies limits itself to “everyone DPS the boss fast!!!”… If the dungeons encouraged to assume a certain temporary role (each role giving a slight buff according what role is picked) then it could work very nicely.

The other problem is running with PUGs. Sometimes you’re lucky, sometimes you aren’t. Not much more I can say on that.

Overall, glass cannons isn’t the problem. The absence of group synergy is.

EDIT : Also you can not honestly tell me you’ve never played alongside a glass cannon before who performed his role admirably.
On the opposite side of the table, I have seen “tank” builds who quintessentially refused to dodge, planting themselves hard in the group and therefore being downed making all that survivability “useless”.

(edited by Groovy.6749)

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Because it sorta work in the open world, and people, at least if it is the first time they go in, can’t be bothered to go back and change up their traits, never mind grab a whole new set of gear.

Posted by: icon.5128

icon.5128

I think people should have a balanced build in dungeons with toughness and/or vitality built in and with damage stats included because in this game we do need to nuke bosses and some mobs fast.
As for glass cannon builds I can see there place in speed runs from experienced players that know how to avoid damage, I personally can’t play a glass cannon build at mellee but at range I can pull it off just fine with hardly ever going down. Normally I’m the last man standing in wipe.

ZeroArmada.9426

No Groovy, never. I TRY to stay positive, but every glass cannon I’ve encountered just immediately and constantly goes down, which is basically 4 manning the dungeon while carrying around a dead body. That’s just warriors, I don’t even want to get into the thief glass cannons I’ve encountered…

Posted by: Jefzor.7145

Jefzor.7145

For thieves, it makes sense, since you can still survive in dungeons when specced fully glass canon. I’m not saying it makes sense on all classes, but if you’re able to survive, why would you want to gimp your damage output?

I specced a little bit into vitality. I’m at 16k Hp with base toughness. I crit for 4k aoe with clusterbomb (5k when guardians/warriors are giving me might) I can crit 6k+ repeatedly on bosses under 25%hp. I have almost unlimited dodges and can stealth when I get aggro’d. I can stealth teammates to revive them.
When I’m fit, I’ll die less than the rest of the party (I frequently don’t need to repair anything after finishing lvl 10 daily fotm). When I’m tired, I’ll die more (still not as much as my fellow rangers/eles/engis), because reaction speed is essential for staying alive as a thief glass canon.
The only downside is I’m not drawing damage to myself and therefore letting letting my teammates take extra damage.

(edited by Jefzor.7145)

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

The point is super strength + high rate of crits. If the player knows how to handle his spec, then he should know when to hit hard, and when to retract to kite for a bit (because he accumulated too much aggro).

Except of course if you’re having to frequently step off the gas, you’re actually lowering your DPS anyway. You have higher burst but your overall DPS probably isn’t so different from the tankier player; but when the tankier guy cops a hit he’s less likely to go down

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

It may be more the team make up than anything else . With 3 of 5 being warriors you dont have the balance .If you knew all of them were glass cannons why take them wouldn’t it have been smarter to balance the team out more?

Posted by: Amiron.1067

Amiron.1067

No Groovy, never. I TRY to stay positive, but every glass cannon I’ve encountered just immediately and constantly goes down, which is basically 4 manning the dungeon while carrying around a dead body. That’s just warriors, I don’t even want to get into the thief glass cannons I’ve encountered…

I think some professions can go glass cannon, like my thief and mesmer. They have abilities that allow them to negate damage fairly well, like black powder, stealth, blurred frenzy, etc. while still providing high end damage to the group without going downed every 5 seconds.

To play a “glass cannon” means you need to understand the game, know how to dodge, know how to use your class mechanics that help you escape trouble so that you can deal that massive damage while doing so.

But I do understand where you’re coming from. A lot of glass cannon built players I’ve come across just don’t fair well in a game where aggro is unpredictable and there is no healer to babysit their health bar.

Groovy.6749

Except of course if you’re having to frequently step off the gas, you’re actually lowering your DPS anyway. You have higher burst but your overall DPS probably isn’t so different from the tankier player; but when the tankier guy cops a hit he’s less likely to go down

Well that is a very good point, and I cannot really argue against it. But that being said, in the example you’ve given me, the fight will end up with both the glass cannon and the tanky build more of less equalising on the amount of damage…so I guess the role is still viable if understood correctly.

I guess I don’t really have such a problem with it is because my glass cannon is my thief ( I got three characters fitting the typical MMO trinity aka dps thief, support mesmer and tanky warrior) and the second I get aggro I use a stealth ability hence immediately losing the aggro and thus resuming doing heavy freaking damage.

However I have made some sacrifices to ensure my survivability, donning some vitality here and there but maintaining hefty amount crit and power, also I specced in shadow arts which gives thieves a nice toughness boost alongside better stealth (yayyy for me and the group since I can pretty much rez anyone for 0 to full guaranteed) every 30 seconds, which is great support when you think about it. Sitting on almost 15k hp and still delivering 6-7k hits without much trouble.

But as jefzor said, thieves can afford taking on this role better than other classes so my opinion on glass cannons might be a bit biased which I’ll admit to :p

(edited by Groovy.6749)

Posted by: Wasabi Kitty.8247

Wasabi Kitty.8247

Because I want to cheese in WvW with backstab.

Anet make Rev great again.

Posted by: phlemhacker.1372

phlemhacker.1372

I play a glass cannon Ele and I really don’t die all that much. Mostly by way of avoiding getting hit.

Posted by: BUTTERBLUME.3217

BUTTERBLUME.3217

Dungeons are always the same. Once you have understood the mechanics, you do not die.
And glass cannon does always deal more dmg than tank.

Facetanking in general is not very effective in this game, unless you are a guardian I guess.
If you pull aggro you have to back out, glass cannon or not.

Posted by: krixis.9538

krixis.9538

i play glass cannon P/P thief. with signet of malice and omnom pie my unload heals anywhere from 800-1.5k per shot (with average omno m pie procs) so my 11k hp is not an issue as i am at ranged and i dodge.

funny thing the only time i get downd is when trash mobs just suddonly zerg me like in HoTW with the ice brood wolf pack.

thanks to shadow refuge i also last longer then anyone else and alot of the time end up last one standing.

the trouble is alot of glass cannons do not even know what dodge is, and are almost always in melee range and have no clue how to avoid the damage, so i understand your pain when it comes to warriors or GS/Hammer gaurdians glass cannon specs.

ranged glass cannon specs do very high dmg and have high life expectancy in lvl 80 dungeons.

i personally dont like the low lvl exp due to the very low hp we end up having and lower self healing. also glass cannons are not bad in fractals ikittennow how to dodge and actually have agony resistance for the higher lvls.

i say this because anet will change fractals end of jan so that any 1 can join some one at any fractal lvl let the QQ of “ITS TO HARD NERF FRACTALS” commence.

Desolation EU
Fractal lvl 80 – 126 AR

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

@OP: You just have bad luck and end up with bad glasscannons.

Glasscannons are just as viable as supports or tanks, the problem with every spec in this game comes down to player control and knowledge of their class, nothing more.

I run a GC Engi, Mesmer and Guardian. I never have any issues with either class, it comes down to kiting. I have an easy time tanking bosses with the specs, they all have very high endurance regen thats reliable, so dodging isnt an issue. And to top it off, while I tank I still deal massive amounts of damage. My 3 glasscannons are based around power and crit damage, vit as a secondary for my guardian and precision for my engi and mesmer.

My guardian runs a sword+shield/scepter+torch setup, high passive crit chance from traits aswell as tons of self healing through meditations and some nice protection for me and my group with shield+HtL. Running healing elite skill, which is a massive support goodie.

Engi is toolbelt chain lightning rifle specced, running with medkit, goggles, ram and rifle turret. Running supply elite.

Mesmer use GS/Scepter+Pistol, phantasm specced, with feedback, 2 on demand clone utilites (mostly) and haste elite.

It all works very well. Then I run a necro decked out in toughness, prec, condi gear. It also works great.

edit: The biggest problem with GC guardians, thieves and warriors is that they are hellbent on going toe to toe melee swinging a big 2h in the face of the enemy, when infact their ranged damage is just as good during most fights. Using a rifle, bow, scepter or pistol allows you more sustainable dps since you dont have to run around so much or try to fight for survival.

There is a reason all classes are great at ranged and melee.

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

(edited by SneakyErvin.3056)

digiowl.9620

End result, the game devolves to a third person shooter…

Posted by: LemurTron.9261

LemurTron.9261

kill stuff before it kills you. Best defense is a good offense. You can lead a horse to water, but..

ok some light armor classes might be better suited to avoiding damage rather than trying to tank it. Mesmers are a good example, at least for those who play them in this manner

Killing stuff quick (whether in wvw or pve) has it’s advantages and in-and-of-itself is a form of defense

Posted by: Fiennes.9568

Fiennes.9568

I play a glass-cannon thief.

And I’m very happy with it, and I am not the guy that goes down in the dungeon first. I’ll tell you why. I am very aware of my abilities, and I know my strengths and weaknesses. I range as much as I can (for very decent damage), and I go in for the kill with melee when the target’s health is low.

The axiom that “Glass Cannon” is bad, is a false one. Badly played glass-cannons? For sure. But then that goes with any class in the game. A badly played one will down, and die and perhaps cause a wipe.

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

Blame ANet for a horrible stat based system, not the players. Of course the majority is going to go glass cannon… because there are no real tank or heal specs.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

offense is the best defense.

Posted by: endless.1376

endless.1376

I could see the point of going glass cannon as ranged, but glass cannon as a melee character would be rough. I don’t see how a Guardian could go glass cannon and not die a lot. The whole point of glass cannon is to kill things so fast it makes the whole argument of survivability moot. It’s great for people who love to crush things quickly.

Posted by: Zeldain.5710

Zeldain.5710

I will never understand why people would prefer to go full offensive without ANY vit/tough and constantly grief the team they’re in. I was just in AC with 3 glass cannon warriors, and wow that was the most horrendous experience I’ve ever encountered. I don’t see how glass cannon even helps the team if you’re constantly going down, even IF you put out burst damage before being flicked by the slightest enemy.

Just why?

The combat system (i.e. no roles – just 8 DPS classes) fosters this kind of thinking.

Posted by: Dradiin.8935

Dradiin.8935

The idea behind a glass cannon is pretty good actually, it just requires a bit of finesse to pull it off effectively and continuously.

Also I don’t think the glass cannons are “actively” griefing their team. 10silver+ for amor repairs isn’t the way to go.

Who is supposed to keep an eye on the aggro, who is going to watch out for group conditions and drop in some support when needed, who is going to make sure that red bar keeps going down, etc…
In my opinion, part of the problem lies with ANet’s design, aka removal of trinity. I mean if you’re going to remove a major part of how groups in MMOs synergize because it’s dated is a GREAT idea….but if you leave that gap unfulfilled, then it is not revolutionary at all. It’s clumsy. Most players do not know what to expect from one another, and generally 95% of the dungeon strategies limits itself to “everyone DPS the boss fast!!!”… If the dungeons encouraged to assume a certain temporary role (each role giving a slight buff according what role is picked) then it could work very nicely.

The other problem is running with PUGs. Sometimes you’re lucky, sometimes you aren’t. Not much more I can say on that.

EDIT : Also you can not honestly tell me you’ve never played alongside a glass cannon before who performed his role admirably.
On the opposite side of the table, I have seen “tank” builds who quintessentially refused to dodge, planting themselves hard in the group and therefore being downed making all that survivability “useless”.

you talk as if there is an Aggro management system in this game like others… Aggro is completely random most of the time…. it can be based on proximity, dmg, healing, who farted last, who voted for republicans, who voted for democrats.
If there was a reliable way for one to manage aggro then your above statements would apply to Glass Cannoobs in dungeons.

There is room for… 1 Glass Cannoob in a dungeon grp. anymore and its.. play whack-a-mole with who gets rezzed next.

I play a defensive build shout heal warr, i do plenty of dmg to grab aggro from some Glass Cannoobs, the key to my build, i dont drop dead instantly.

LEARN TO PLAY IN DUNGEONS, or don’t join in a group.

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

you talk as if there is an Aggro management system in this game like others… Aggro is completely random most of the time…. it can be based on proximity, dmg, healing, who farted last, who voted for republicans, who voted for democrats.
If there was a reliable way for one to manage aggro then your above statements would apply to Glass Cannoobs in dungeons.

There is room for… 1 Glass Cannoob in a dungeon grp. anymore and its.. play whack-a-mole with who gets rezzed next.

I play a defensive build shout heal warr, i do plenty of dmg to grab aggro from some Glass Cannoobs, the key to my build, i dont drop dead instantly.

Yeah, my glass cannon Thief doesn’t even need you. I outlast entire dungeon groups 99% of the time without even being specced in to or using stealth, face-tanking with life-leech that’s so ridiculous that I can just stand in the middle of a pack of Dredge or Grawl and never die while dishing out unholy amounts of punishment.

Don’t place everyone with low defences in the same pot. It’s entirely dependant on the skill and mannerisms of the player behind the keyboard. Anyone with a brain stem can manage the rather flimsy aggro in this game. A simple dodge and reposition is all it takes.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

(edited by Auesis.7301)

Posted by: Draka.6071

Draka.6071

This…

I love the fact that GW2 doesn’t have assigned roles (i.e. Holy Trinity). It provides the freedom to work as a group in a dynamic aspect. It isn’t the same button-mashing rotation over and over…

BUT, it requires each member to pay attention to the group’s overall composition and adjust their play accordingly.

I play a Pwr/Tough/Vit Warrior with GS and Hammer. I can deal out good DPS when needed and switch to Hammer and CC mob/boss when the situation changes.

Specifically related to Glass Cannons – they need to learn how to be one, meaning, they must learn when they’ve pulled too much aggro and disengage/kite so others can pull the aggro away.

On my warrior, that’s what I’m constantly looking out for. If a caster/ranger pulls aggro and gives them chase or if a teammate is close to death, I switch to hammer and cc in order to give the teammate a chance to recover.

It all comes back to the synergy of the group and the skill of its members. Good players can help/carry not-so-good ones. If you hope to finish the dungeon without wiping 100 times, you don’t have much of a choice.

You can also try and teach the struggling member how they should be reacting in certain situations…imagine that…HELPING each other…

Posted by: Archonis.7249

Archonis.7249

Glass cannon is in the game so Warriors can complain about their survivability in it when getting bursted to 0% health in 3 secs.

“Society is a madhouse, whose wardens are the police and the officials.”

Posted by: Tenshi.3598

Tenshi.3598

And how do you identify glass cannons? I’d assume, by their droprate (har-har). So you’re using a circular trail of thought, I would guess.

Can it work? Yes, with a good tanky player who knows what he’s doing. Or if the gc knows when to get out of combat.

Why use it? In normal PvE, certainly for warriors, it works excellent, so that’s a likely build.

Other reason? Many glass cannons may be using explorer’s. MF should be divided among the party to compensate (unless removed)

If you use gc in dungeons, learn quickly from your experience. (“l2p or don’t join” has another usual meaning that doesn’t work since you can’t learn if you don’t join).

This Glade has thorns…and here they are!

Groovy.6749

Glass Cannoobs ?

Is that your opinion of players speccing in damage outpout ? Utterly useless in GW2 ?

Also LOL at your aggro management explanation. True, dungeon bosses have got some weird aggro complex but…oh gee I don’t know…playing attention to the fight might help to see when one might be getting targeted (aka boss turns towards me suddenly….maybe get out of the way?) or boss loves one specific player the entire time (which gives carte blanche for easy damage all night long)

You probably didn’t even bother to read anything I said about party synergy either and how the lack of distinctive roles might affect how well a party performs. Also wammo warriors are still lol. It’s the kind of build you found online when looking for uber OP-iness and that was love at first sight.

My warrior is toughness/crit specced and with less than a 1/3rd of your wammo’s HP, I last just as long, if not longer because we tend to dodge much more compared to wammos since not getting hit is the best kind of heal. Also spamming your heals while to stay alive with the occasional 100B is not consistent damage. It is occasional damage and if overwhelmed by mob in between boss fights you probably would struggle to handle the aggro. You should also thank the glass cannons burning the bosses while you are slowly dying as well. The real damage has got to come from somewhere afterall.

5 glass cannons is bad, but so is 5 wammos. That is why I got 3 different toons with different specs so I can hop from one to the other depending on party composition.

So maybe you should do a few more runs, just to get an idea of how it works. Maybe go online to find someone who made a build for you so you can get to insta-win more quickly ?

(edited by Groovy.6749)

Posted by: Dash.7108

Dash.7108

Partial glass canon Thief but I never die so I dunno

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

The big problem with glass cannons in GW2 is the way stats work, there’s not all that big of a payoff in terms of damage.

It’s more like going from tanky-20-gauge to glass-12-gauge.

Posted by: Xavori.3768

Xavori.3768

All the toughness and vit in the game doesn’t matter a bit if the player doesn’t understand that GW2 combat is different.

The vast majority of time I spend playing the dungeons in the game is with my 5 signet build warrior (ie. constant high damage). I did put 20 points into toughness which is my entire toughness investment. I got that since I’d already gone to 15 to get my second regen (the first being my healing signet).

I’m pretty sure I survive much better than most bunker built necro and guardian players because I learned how to play using my thief. See, no matter how bunker you make a thief, it cannot go toe to toe with anything. You have to dodge, use stealth, etc to get the same kind of survival that warriors and guardians have by default. So, learning to play as a thief is a wonderful way to learn how to survive with just about any build (maybe not a glass cannon engineer because then you’d have no armor to go with your nerfed dps).

And let me tell you…playing a warrior with heavy armor and dual regens ticking while using the same tricks a thief does (minus stealth which is iffy at times with mobs anyway) makes for a very durable glass cannon.

Hey I just met you – And this is crazy –
But here’s my body – So rez me maybe?

mulch.2586

All the toughness and vit in the game doesn’t matter a bit if the player doesn’t understand that GW2 combat is different.

The vast majority of time I spend playing the dungeons in the game is with my 5 signet build warrior (ie. constant high damage). I did put 20 points into toughness which is my entire toughness investment. I got that since I’d already gone to 15 to get my second regen (the first being my healing signet).

I’m pretty sure I survive much better than most bunker built necro and guardian players because I learned how to play using my thief. See, no matter how bunker you make a thief, it cannot go toe to toe with anything. You have to dodge, use stealth, etc to get the same kind of survival that warriors and guardians have by default. So, learning to play as a thief is a wonderful way to learn how to survive with just about any build (maybe not a glass cannon engineer because then you’d have no armor to go with your nerfed dps).

And let me tell you…playing a warrior with heavy armor and dual regens ticking while using the same tricks a thief does (minus stealth which is iffy at times with mobs anyway) makes for a very durable glass cannon.

200 toughness with double regen and + 200 healing with warrior’s base hp isn’t hardly a glass cannon. Add in “extra armor while over 90%” and 2 other defensive traits…

(edited by mulch.2586)

Xavori.3768

200 toughness with double regen and + 200 healing with warrior’s base hp isn’t hardly a glass cannon. Add in “extra armor while over 90%” and 2 other defensive traits…

Compared to my necro who actually can stand toe to toe with champs (well, some champs) it is. Plus, my necro has 3 life bars to play with and lots of life stealing.

The flipside is no DPS. Well, for her anyway. She’s marks/wells so she sets up nonstop combos for teammates.

Posted by: Mad.1932

Mad.1932

if you build a group around having a guardian with maybe 3/4 power toughness vitality gear and gs for reasonable damage they will never lose aggro for whatever reason, it accomodates the glass cannon warriors and synergies fairly well. Though ofcourse a pug isnt going to be so picky about the group makeup, and that is the problem. Its just inviting the first 4 other people lfg

digiowl.9620

Compared to my necro who actually can stand toe to toe with champs (well, some champs) it is. Plus, my necro has 3 life bars to play with and lots of life stealing.

Not sure where the third comes from.

Anyways, best i can tell adding about 100 armor will reduce incoming damage by about 1%.

mulch.2586

The flipside is no DPS. Well, for her anyway. She’s marks/wells so she sets up nonstop combos for teammates.

Don’t compare to a tanky tank necro.

A war with 200 toughness has 70% more hp than an equiv spec/geared elementalist, and is healing for about 5% more than a base warrior.

A war with 200 toughness has 75% more defense than a glass cannon light, even more when above 90% health. That doesn’t help on condition damage, but is directly proportional to regular & crit damage received, so will take 4/7 of the damage.

Xavori.3768

@digiowl

Three bar bunker necro = normal hitpoints + lifeforce bar + downed health bar

Necros have lifesteal as their downed attack and can trait to both boost lifestealing and increased downed damage. My necro is actually higher DPS when down than when up and can outheal 2 trash mobs beating on her while doing damage.

@mulch

When I look at my warrior, I don’t think tank. I have 30 points into arms for precision and bleeding. That’s pretty much standard for any 5 signet build. I also intitially went full-on glass cannon with 30 points into strength. The last 10 I stuck in defense so I could get that +200 when cc’d trait. This worked pretty well, but left me in the lurch versus condition damage and AoE’s.

So I tweaked the build a bit because of that 15 point adrenaline regen. It was just so close. And at that point, it was pretty easy to talk myself into another 5 points into defense to get the other anti-cc trait. I also changed my strength adept trait to adrenaline based damage because I knew I wasn’t going to be using bursts which would screw up my regen.

Gear is all power precision stuffs. That’s why I look at this as a glass-ish cannon build. Those 200 points of toughness are all I have.

It’s a pretty decent build. I can outregen 4 stacks of bleeding + poison, or 7ish stacks of bleeding without poison. In the ice fractal, I can get to 8 stacks of freezing before I start taking damage that matters. And with the high crit rate, I can proc any sigil I want very often (currently using earth for extra bleeds…prolly going to go back to fire for splodies).

The downside is I have no speed buffs so it takes me a while to run places, no way to clear conditions when they get beyond what I can regen, and can’t really recover big chunks of hitpoints at once because losing my big regen is just as bad, if not worse, than trying to duck and weave with low hitpoints while I wait to recover. I also provide no boons to my teammates. This means as a teammate my only real value is DPS, which in most groups is enough, but there are times when I kinda wish I could do more.

’Course, for those times when I would like to help my teammates, tank, and put out good damage, I just play my elementalist.

digiowl.9620

@digiowl

Three bar bunker necro = normal hitpoints + lifeforce bar + downed health bar

Necros have lifesteal as their downed attack and can trait to both boost lifestealing and increased downed damage. My necro is actually higher DPS when down than when up and can outheal 2 trash mobs beating on her while doing damage.

Not quite my experience, but then i have put my necro on hold while leveling alts…

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Because 8,5 min solo Lupicus?

Posted by: Aegis.9724

Aegis.9724

because everyone else is a glass cannon, and mobs will perma-lock on you if you have any kind of toughness.

Seriosly, after upgrading my ranger to knight’s, EVERY SINGLE MOB in 90% dungeon runs will lock on me and follow me to the spawn. Even with heavy armors in the party, even if am the last one to get in line of sight.

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

I hate when I get 4 “tanky dps” people in party. Takes so long to kill trash it’s not even remotely imagineable. For your information, best groups compromise of 5 glass cannons just facerolling dungeons. The problem is, most people can’t play glass and they die horribly often.

Posted by: Lukhas.1962

Lukhas.1962

Because toughness and vitality are absolutely useless. Damage reduction, with a high toughness value in dungeons, is ridiculous and laughable. And especially with the fabulous AI of the enemies and their constant focus on the players making the dungeons in one sentence: “The player must die” rather than “the player must fun”

Posted by: Columba.9730

Columba.9730

If you can remain perma stealthed you really don’t give up anything for being a glass cannon.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

If you play your class effectively, you can be both… glass cannon or not.

Posted by: Choko.6821

Choko.6821

To destroy enemy quickly? Seriously glass cannon is a spec that used to enemy quickly especially cookie cutter build. That class was undefeated therefore named as glass cannon behind the cookie cutter name designer who being victim many time, the glass cannon that bear no name and being undefeated as time goes by however since that person leave glass cannon no one understand what motive the class for. Quite understandable as people still don’t know glass cannon stand for. Therefore it is being used as bad name by current generation as no one know behind the era of the time person rising a glass cannon. =/

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

I have no qualms whatsoever with people wanting to run “glass cannons”-it’s their rightful choice, but they should be aware of the sacrifices needed to be made to attain such high DPS. As long as I am not told that I must play DPS (because I also have the right to play whichever way I want), I don’t see why I should complain about others playing a much more offense-orientated build.

With experience and practice, we can play well solo or in groups with most builds, DPS or otherwise. All things have a right to grow.

mulch.2586

@mulch

When I look at my warrior, I don’t think tank. I have 30 points into arms for precision and bleeding. That’s pretty much standard for any 5 signet build. I also intitially went full-on glass cannon with 30 points into strength. The last 10 I stuck in defense so I could get that +200 when cc’d trait. This worked pretty well, but left me in the lurch versus condition damage and AoE’s. (snipped some)

I think it’s appropriate not to think “tank” for any character, especially a warrior who’s gonna be weak at condition removal.

My point was that with your set-up, you can take at least 3 times as many hits as a true glass cannon (because of large traited toughness and massive starting health pool), not even counting the regen and +200 healing.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Just why?

It’s interesting that you question the players builds instead of their skill. I could sleep my way through AC as a glass cannon spec and the only time I have a bit of trouble is the path with the necros and all their conditions.

Moral of the story – bad players are bad regardless of spec. It just happens to be that most bad players like to play glass cannon specs, most of the time because they don’t know any better and can’t be bothered to figure it out. So yeah, blame the player, not the spec. Also, get a premade group to run dungeons and you won’t have to worry about it as much.