What is the point of glass cannon?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sokina.8041

Sokina.8041

Most battles involving a glass cannon are over quick.

Either they kill you fast, or they die fast because they’re glass.

A lot of people like Glass Cannons because big numbers, and stat stacking.

My guardian stacks healing power and toughness. She’s a Reinforced Steel wall. Can take a kitten ton of damage but deal next to none. She’s a distraction for Glass Cannons, and enemies in general. Since she can take and heal damage better than her teammates can.

DPS people often stack Power and Crit/Precision. They’re glass cannons. Does a lot of damage but can’t take a lot. Takes down dangerous targets fast, and can rip an unprepared person to shreds. Because they’re offensively dangerous, glass cannons often target other glass cannons.

Condition damage people stack Condition Duration / Damage. They’re rusty daggers. The actual cut doesn’t hurt a lot, but bleeding and poison can quickly create a dire situation if untreated.

That’s how stat stacking works. People stack a few stats, and it makes them ridiculously specialized for certain tasks. Decent, mixed builds are often much better than overstacked and overly specialized builds.

So the real reason people like glass cannons, they like feeling in control. If you’re doing damage, you’re forcing people to use their strongest skills just to stay alive. My guardian is great at protecting teammates and taking damage, but a smart Glass Cannon thief can force me to use my best skills just to stay alive. The glass cannon thus makes me focus on protecting myself, instead of others.

Most people just like to do damage from the shadows, or by surprise. A lot more people like to DPS than heal/take damage. Most people like stalking a single person or ambushing people as a glass cannon, than being a tank who’s under constant duress, constant condition pressure, constant damage, and the focal point of battle.

Posted by: graverr.6473

graverr.6473

Glass canon builds are just for lazy ppl who basicly can’t come up with somerhing better.There are so many alternative builds in this game and thinking tank or glasscannon is simply put low imagination.

I for example run with full toughness/vitality/power armor,toughness/precision/power trinkets,and with some minor tweaks from jewels i loose only 20% crit damage and 10% crit chance comparing to full out Gc.But i ge the advantage of 3k armor and very high hp pool wich guarantees me almost infinite time in the battle making me actually do a lot more dps than gc build.

In the end it’s all about your dedication and that is the best reason i hate partying with glasscannons.I know is just a personal opinion but a lazy build means a lazy player that will anyeay slow down any team.My1.5 cent

Also i don’t understand why ppl say warrior has bad condition removal..It has 1 shout,1 heal with 2 cond removals,signet with all conditions removed, TRAit that automaticly removes cond and if u are human also race skill that removes 3 cond.If you combine all these with some perks and runes you get a huge ammount of condition removals.But hey most warriors need bolas+ quickness to land a 1h blades (only 2 slots where they could have all cond+1+stunbreak)so nothing to see here^^

Mini Somales -Seven Instincts- [siN]

(edited by graverr.6473)

Posted by: ZeroArmada.9426

ZeroArmada.9426

Well until I see someone with glass cannon who makes my jaw drop from being amazing at it, I still stand by my opinion.

Posted by: KWman.3012

KWman.3012

Because some players will kick you if they feel you are slowing them down.

Yes, I am a Champion of an Egg.

Posted by: Bread.7516

Bread.7516

Well until I see someone with glass cannon who makes my jaw drop from being amazing at it, I still stand by my opinion.

you’ll never notice since they don’t die while having staying power to face mobs in the dungeon.

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

My point was that with your set-up, you can take at least 3 times as many hits as a true glass cannon (because of large traited toughness and massive starting health pool), not even counting the regen and +200 healing.

Dunno. The 300 from the trait line seems to give 3% damage reduction at best.

And don’t get me started on HP. The impact is a joke. Just about anything that benefits from HP has a 0.01 to 0.1 modifier built in, meaning that there is either a 100:1 or 10:1 ratio between how many points you put in and how many you get out. And many of the skills that are not direct heals, never mind traits that heal, do not benefit from HP at all! It is in essence a joke stat to dump valuable trait points into.

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

The thing is, you will never notice it. Because since it doesnt die you will probably asume it isnt a glasscannon. It’s not hard to survive as a glasscannon, what is harder is surviving with stacked toughness, because somehow the game directs aggro towards whoever has the highest toughness.

My necro deals massive damage and has high toughness, hes an aggro magnet, it still doesnt mean he has much staying power when focused. However, I cant chose another set really, because I want the precision and condi damage the set gives. And there is no other spec that combines the condi and prec from that set with another besides toughness.

Infact, my GCs have much better survivability due to high crit chance + vigor or passive end regen buffs, which results in them being able to avoid damage when they need to. Maybe I’m just lazy or have just missed the end regen buff for necros. But I doubt it, since its one of my favorite traits on any class.

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

digiowl.9620

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Vigor

Necro is the only profession without vigor, likely because ANet think it can be compensated for by popping death shroud instead (extra “health” pool and all that)…

Given the aggro mechanics and general uselessness of going heavy on HP, vigor is indeed the best boon one can have going for general survivability. For one it makes a misplaced dodge much less costly.

Posted by: Lorana.2468

Lorana.2468

Glass cannons kill stuff quicker
you get rewarded sooner rather than later

if your going down constantly it’s not because of the gear, it’s your skill.
regardless of what gear you are wearing Dodgeroll still makes you invincible when timed to avoid attacks correctly.
do not blame the gear, blame the player.

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Is this good enough?

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

Because some players will kick you if they feel you are slowing them down.

I rather be kicked than faced with such shameful elitism. However, if I knew a group was comprised of such players, I wouldn’t join them to begin with. Elitism is not my thing, although of course that doesn’t mean that I believe that playing non-max DPS is the same as going through things as slowly as you could. In the end, whether it’s fast or slow, smooth or rough, fun trumps everything else. Better find like-minded players than striving to please the DPS crowd for fear of being kicked if you don’t blindly adhere to their demands to the detriment of your preferred playstyle.

No offense intended-DPS is OK too, but not just as the one and only “effective” playstyle.

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Glass canon builds are just for lazy ppl who basicly can’t come up with somerhing better.There are so many alternative builds in this game and thinking tank or glasscannon is simply put low imagination.

I for example run with full toughness/vitality/power armor,toughness/precision/power trinkets,and with some minor tweaks from jewels i loose only 20% crit damage and 10% crit chance comparing to full out Gc.But i ge the advantage of 3k armor and very high hp pool wich guarantees me almost infinite time in the battle making me actually do a lot more dps than gc build.

In the end it’s all about your dedication and that is the best reason i hate partying with glasscannons.I know is just a personal opinion but a lazy build means a lazy player that will anyeay slow down any team.My1.5 cent

Also i don’t understand why ppl say warrior has bad condition removal..It has 1 shout,1 heal with 2 cond removals,signet with all conditions removed, TRAit that automaticly removes cond and if u are human also race skill that removes 3 cond.If you combine all these with some perks and runes you get a huge ammount of condition removals.But hey most warriors need bolas+ quickness to land a 1h blades (only 2 slots where they could have all cond+1+stunbreak)so nothing to see here^^

You must be jesting. Glass cannons for lazy? It’s reversed. You can sit and facetank most mobs in p/v/t armour while on glass you have to dodge constantly. And glass cannon is the best build for damage. You deal less dmg in your more “imaginative” build for what? Ability to facetank? Good glass cannon don’t die as often as you think.

Posted by: Gisei.5749

Gisei.5749

I’ve ran with glass cannons that have done exceptionally well. As the Guardian of the group, I, more often than not, am the tank, and if I know someone is a glass cannon, I put a little more effort into keeping them alive. I can see a substantial difference in DPS when the glass cannon is alive, and when he is running back.

Then again, I’ve ran with glass cannons that have just been repeatedly shattered, not aiding the group at all. My favorite ones are the ones that stand next to me while fighting a large group or a boss.

Skill is important, but so is a good party. If the glass cannon is constantly pulling to much aggro, then he will be mostly useless, regardless of skill.

~Sorrow’s Furnace~
Guardian

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

The only place i ever ran glass are shard/bag farm in arah. Not worth running in even the easiest dungeons like ac/cof. let those five sigs warriors do their job, die and wp 24/7

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: Lutharr.1035

Lutharr.1035

So Op your basically saying that all players that are glass cannon are crap? Sorry to burst ya bubble but if u need to hide behind tough n vit it usually means ya not good enough to be a glass cannon.

Dont lump bad players in with glass cannons. Cos every build of every class is riddled with em. Difference is some can hide it better with standing in a corner and pretending to heal or support

Go back to WoW. Most overused brainless arguement 2012-2013

Posted by: Magnes.8307

Magnes.8307

I can understand your frustration with a failed group run, but it has more to do with the group than simply placing blame on a build. I use a glass cannon Ranger build (30/20/20) combination zerk/cond gear. My observation is vit/tough only come into play if I am roaming in WvW and solo another player. Mostly in WvW you are not roaming so who cares. PvP isnt an issue, because you use a totally different gear set and build.

I dont understand your point of view. Do you want me to point out the multiple times in dugeons I am the last person standing? It has nothing to do with build and everything to do with the player. I guess you could argue glass cannon for a melee class might not be advisable. But if you are ranged and getting hit, your build has nothing to do with it.

Posted by: randomZOMBIE.1679

randomZOMBIE.1679

Is this good enough?

The Warrior in this video isn’t using a “glass cannon” build. At Lv 80 a Warrior has 18,372 hp naked. This guy has 22,024 which means he is getting an extra 400 vit from somewhere. (400 vit = ~4,000 hp)

“Glass Cannon” by definition wouldn’t “waste” points on vit. Every glass cannon warrior that I have grouped with uses what they call “Signet Zerker” build where all their utility slots have a signet in them. This Warrior only has two signets, and uses them for the activated ability not the passive effect.

While this is a clear look at someone that actually knows how to play the game, it is by no means an example of a glass cannon.

Wethospu.6437

True, that Soldiers backpack and Karka Shell gives like 60 Vitality and Toughness. And 100 more Vitality from traits and 100 more Toughness from Cavalier Ring. So yes you are right, not a true glass-cannon.
And by the way, Signet-build just sucks and has nothing to do with being a cannon.

WvW actually gives that high stats.

(edited by Wethospu.6437)

Posted by: Groovy.6749

Groovy.6749

Is this good enough?

The Warrior in this video isn’t using a “glass cannon” build. At Lv 80 a Warrior has 18,372 hp naked. This guy has 22,024 which means he is getting an extra 400 vit from somewhere. (400 vit = ~4,000 hp)

“Glass Cannon” by definition wouldn’t “waste” points on vit. Every glass cannon warrior that I have grouped with uses what they call “Signet Zerker” build where all their utility slots have a signet in them. This Warrior only has two signets, and uses them for the activated ability not the passive effect.

While this is a clear look at someone that actually knows how to play the game, it is by no means an example of a glass cannon.

I agree. My warrior only has 1 signet, which is SoS, for dodging. I am tough/prec/power specced. And while I only have 21k hp with food&potion/oil buffs, my high level of toughness permits me to survive as well as a tank warrior who wasted (sorry for the choice of word if it’s insulting. It’s just my opinion) 20 or 30 traits on vita.
I got two endure pain ( one can be activated on command, the other at 25%hp), and basically I count on them, my toughness and my heal to get me out of trouble when it’s really getting too much.
A few dodges usually do me fine as the CDs pop up again, and I’m ready to go ad libitum! Note that because I dodge does not mean I stopped tanking, it just means I don’t see why I would waste skills when I don’t need to.

Warrior is the third class I took to lvl80, and while they are really good (not as OP as some make out, but definitely top of the line), they can do quite a bit more than people give them credit for.
There’s some really cheesy builds out there, most being wammos or 5signets bursters…but that’s just exploring about 10% of the class potential…no wonder these are the warriors who come to the forum and whine when they get killed. They found a build online, and never looked back. I bet some never even bother trying different skills slots just to see….just to see what could happen. Alfterall, if you don’t even know your class, how can you possibly hope to beat another?

Posted by: Choko.6821

Choko.6821

OP, there is nothing to see Glass Cannon is amazing. Because Glass Cannon required no skills. See what you done there? Not surprising when I was running with Windforce for cow killing yet no one care unless I duel them. Yet those people who clapping with people using Windforce with hp set. Such a logic.

Also I raised a GC Warrior upon hand. Yet no one care for my aoe condition removal. The run when smoothly, nothing wrong and nothing good. Yet it is highspeed cleartime. But when a person that need to praise and the person that need to beg. The same run will be delay by 100 % extra time + unusually conflict coming from those guys.

In WvWvW, persons that used to deal Frenzy > Bullcharge > 100B combo, those person hate me as gc warrior who has appear to them 100 % succeed rate never fail they always die yet they cannot fathom this or accept. So they starting to complai in forum out of sudden.

(edited by Choko.6821)

Posted by: PowerCat.5738

PowerCat.5738

Full zerker 5 signet warrior is the way to go.

Posted by: Xavori.3768

Xavori.3768

True, that Soldiers backpack and Karka Shell gives like 60 Vitality and Toughness. And 100 more Vitality from traits and 100 more Toughness from Cavalier Ring. So yes you are right, not a true glass-cannon.
And by the way, Signet-build just sucks and has nothing to do with being a cannon.

WvW actually gives that high stats.

Signet build is awesomesauce for warriors. You get 290 precision (200 from Deep Strike, 90 from Signet of Fury) on top of the 300 for going full Arms which put you way, way ahead of other classes in terms of crits. I also use a main-hand sword with Blademaster trait for an extra 10% crit chance. Needless to say, I crit a lot with my 5 signet build which means I have my choice of all those shiny weapon sigils that proc on crit for whatever effect I want.

The downside, as I mentioned before, is that I don’t do much for my teammates the way you can with shout and banner builds, and I’m pretty much toast versus condition built enemies. But nobody (well, except elementalists) can do everything.

Hey I just met you – And this is crazy –
But here’s my body – So rez me maybe?

Wethospu.6437

290 precision? Get FGJ! and spam that and Signet of Rage on recharge for 82%-Fury (~344 precision) and on average 5.5 Might stacks. On top of that you also buff allies, free 2 utility slots and can get a better healing skill.
However, if your party brings you ~50%-Fury then it has some point (still use SoR on recharge).

Posted by: Xavori.3768

Xavori.3768

For Great Justice – 8 seconds of fury then 25 second cooldown.
Signet of Rage – 30 seconds of fury then 60 second cooldown

Not sure what you meant by 82%…fury is always 20% to crit. But even alternating the two fury granting abilities carefully, you’ll have holes in your crit chance whereas the 5 signet build never does.

Now you could go 6 Superior Runes of Rage to fix the holes as well as get slightly more crit chance while under the effects of fury, but doing that gives up whatever else you could have slotted instead (like ruby orbs…). Always give and take.

Also, Healing Signet is an excellent heal for someone who doesn’t just try to go toe to toe with everything he or she fights. It works out to about the same healing as Mending if you were to spread Mendings heal out over its cooldown. It’s lower than Healing Surge, but since it’s pretty easy to sneak adrealine regen into a warrior build, that gets you right up there with that level of healing.

The way I play it is to melee as much as possible (cuz moar damage) while circling and dodging to protect myself. If I do end up hurt, I back out and pull out the rifle (or against certain bosses I just start with rifle) which I have slotted with Sigil of Earth for bleeds (cuz precision warriors might as well since its easy to buff bleeds) and stay back until I’m healed again. This works out to exactly the way I play toons that have non-regen style heals except those toons don’t get +40 precision all the time with their healing.

Anyway, the whole point is that 5 signet is just fine. When you factor in what the signets do on top of the 40 precision each, it makes for a pretty well rounded warrior. It’s not the highest possible burst DPS. It’s not the most survivable build. It’s just a good solid build that lets you focus on your enemy and not on your cooldowns.

Hey I just met you – And this is crazy –
But here’s my body – So rez me maybe?

Posted by: BUTTERBLUME.3217

BUTTERBLUME.3217

I play a naked warrior, no gear no skills no traits. Working fine.

Posted by: Lutharr.1035

Lutharr.1035

there is a massive difference between 5sig warriors (which can be devastating in skiled hands) and glass cannons. Im in full zerker gear, traited for straight up death dealing and I run with 2 signets, alot of the times only 1. Elite gets changed depending on the boss to banner.

Glass cannons only become really bad in higher fotm where incoming damage is not so easy to dodge. Most dungeons out there are easily doable with glass cannons. But like any role, if done baddly they will suck.

Go back to WoW. Most overused brainless arguement 2012-2013

Posted by: paelen.3821

paelen.3821

its the amount of stats you receive with higher level gear. Hence why I look for people at around my level.

BUTTERBLUME.3217

Anyone who is not using a glass cannon build for dungeons except FotM should man up a little.

Dungeons are insanely easy to beat, glass cannons just speed that process up by quite a bit.
Being able to survive 1 more attack does not make horrible players any better.

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

I think people fail to realize that you need to take time running / dodging / blocking an enemy off your DPS.

A glass cannon that jumps in and does 14k damage then jumps out may not deal as much damage as someone who comes in and does 9k but has the tank to stick around and do another 9k.

On some slower, hard hitting enemies tank isn’t going to matter as much as dodging, but in AC against the Queen Spider you have to admit its pretty sad when half your team is set for melee with heavy armor, but they need to get out of range to stay alive.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: Darkheart.7436

Darkheart.7436

As a mesmer I find it pretty easy to be glass cannon and stay alive thanks to the versatility of their skills.

Just my thoughts though~

Posted by: lothefallen.7081

lothefallen.7081

The build spec is viable for pvp team comps, in certain situations, but anywhere else, it’s just bad. The combat, skills, specs, are so homogenized and everything is imbalanced because they decided to gut the trinity and make a combat system that is a backdrop to the game rather than the backbone of the gameplay. The result is a declining playerbase and people that dont care to log in. Game is badly designed as a casual cash grab, combat and classes need a complete overhaul.

The Ardent Aegis
http://aa-guild.shivtr.com/

BUTTERBLUME.3217

I think people fail to realize that you need to take time running / dodging / blocking an enemy off your DPS.

A glass cannon that jumps in and does 14k damage then jumps out may not deal as much damage as someone who comes in and does 9k but has the tank to stick around and do another 9k.

On some slower, hard hitting enemies tank isn’t going to matter as much as dodging, but in AC against the Queen Spider you have to admit its pretty sad when half your team is set for melee with heavy armor, but they need to get out of range to stay alive.

While backing off you switch to a range weapon obviously until your cooldowns are up and you lost aggro.
Facetanking is only viable if you BLOCK the incoming damage. Being able to take more does not help in most cases.

Posted by: lothefallen.7081

lothefallen.7081

I play a naked warrior, no gear no skills no traits. Working fine.

Because the game is setup like this to be so casual and innocuously balanced…complete departure from GW1. No roles, combat is a shallow zergfest, specs are very intangible with little difference between them, downstate is awful and removal of trinity-like roles ruined this game’s potential. It’s like a casual themepark with a bunch of boring, repetitive rides and no backbone.

The Ardent Aegis
http://aa-guild.shivtr.com/

BUTTERBLUME.3217

While I obviously do not do that, I agree. I very well could.

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

While backing off you switch to a range weapon obviously until your cooldowns are up and you lost aggro.
Facetanking is only viable if you BLOCK the incoming damage. Being able to take more does not help in most cases.

Facetanking supports the team by helping the bosses and enemies stay in a more manageable stationary location.

Being able to take more damage helps when it increases the amount of devastating hits you can take from 1 to 2. Not all bosses have a big animation for their big hits, and the game’s latency isn’t always perfect either. Being able to take a hit then make your retreat is better than taking a hit and needing a rez.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: Ari Kagura.9182

Ari Kagura.9182

The point of glass cannons is this: MOAR DAMAGE!

Obviously, you sacrifice a lot of survivability to do more damage. It’s basically min/maxing to the very extreme end, which is quite common in other MMOs that incorporate the traditional Holy Trinity. DPS will stack damage-centric stats, Healers will stack healing-centric stats, and Tanks will stack survivability-centric stats. Since GW2 has no “dedicated” roles, everyone is basically equally responsible for their own survivability. Sometimes, a little bit of Toughness or Vitality could go a long way. But if you’re already familiar with the content and feel comfortable enough to sacrifice some survivability for damage … then why not.

However, playing a glass cannon requires a bit of skill and footwork to make work well. Otherwise, you’ll get what you just experienced— a lot of downed players. That means dodging at the right moment and remaining mobile whenever possible.

Personally, I cringe a little when I bump into a Signet Warrior into my dungeon run, but I have been proven wrong before— I happen to know a few Signet Warriors who happen to hold their own out of many I have partied with. Like most glass cannon builds, the learning curve to make them work without dying a lot is pretty high. I’d say that for unfamiliar content, go in with some survivability gear but when you feel a little bit more comfortable, then you can go in with more damage. On my Warrior and Mesmer, I have a survivability set and a glass cannon set, and I switch between the two depending on my comfort zone. For the most part, it works quite well.

“I control my fate!” — Claire Farron
I am Fleeting Flash, in-game dungeon cosplayer of Reddit Refugees [RR] .

BUTTERBLUME.3217

Don’t take hits if they one shot you. Don’t play a glass cannon if you lag.
It is a simple matter of L2P, nothing else.

Wethospu.6437

For Great Justice – 8 seconds of fury then 25 second cooldown.
Signet of Rage – 30 seconds of fury then 60 second cooldown

Not sure what you meant by 82%…fury is always 20% to crit. But even alternating the two fury granting abilities carefully, you’ll have holes in your crit chance whereas the 5 signet build never does.

82%-Fury meant 82% uptime on Fury which equals constant 344 Precision (0.82*20*21).
What you should understand that 344 Precision is more than 290 Precision (max bonus from Deep Strike + SoF). And 5,5 Might is more than bonus from SoM.
Holes don’t really matter because they are at end of cycle. Which means you will always enjoy better CritChance until you suffer lower CritChance. And on average you have had way better CritChance.
And if you really want you can still use Deep Strikes with 3 Signets (+ FGJ! + Signet of Rage) and get 554 Precision (12.6 CritChance more than in your original build).

Now you could go 6 Superior Runes of Rage to fix the holes as well as get slightly more crit chance while under the effects of fury, but doing that gives up whatever else you could have slotted instead (like ruby orbs…). Always give and take.

Irrelevant to my point.

Also, Healing Signet is an excellent heal for someone who doesn’t just try to go toe to toe with everything he or she fights. It works out to about the same healing as Mending if you were to spread Mendings heal out over its cooldown. It’s lower than Healing Surge, but since it’s pretty easy to sneak adrealine regen into a warrior build, that gets you right up there with that level of healing.

Adrenaline Regen also works if you use Mending/Healing Surge.

The way I play it is to melee as much as possible (cuz moar damage) while circling and dodging to protect myself. If I do end up hurt, I back out and pull out the rifle (or against certain bosses I just start with rifle) which I have slotted with Sigil of Earth for bleeds (cuz precision warriors might as well since its easy to buff bleeds) and stay back until I’m healed again. This works out to exactly the way I play toons that have non-regen style heals except those toons don’t get +40 precision all the time with their healing.

Anyway, the whole point is that 5 signet is just fine. When you factor in what the signets do on top of the 40 precision each, it makes for a pretty well rounded warrior. It’s not the highest possible burst DPS. It’s not the most survivable build. It’s just a good solid build that lets you focus on your enemy and not on your cooldowns.

I agree on the last part. If you happen to have issues with using your healing, utility or elite skills and don’t want to get better or just want to be lazy then it’s better run Signet-build.

Posted by: Stego.3148

Stego.3148

Most classes more tank~ish builds tend to also be the support build and usually raise the groups damage as a whole far more then glass cannon would while being much m roe survivable. There’s just a couple wings in the game where you can get away with being glass cannon and usually you’re still lowering the total damage of your group depending on class by not taking advantage of support abilities.

There’s a lot of trash packs in this game where no amount of grace will help you survive. There’s also a very high chance a glass cannon warrior will not be able to stand toe to toe with a medium amount of trash, being able to stay in combat, take a few hits and cleave multiple enemies will increase a warrior’s dps overall through might stacks on crit in a lot of situations

Discovered the one and only ecto nerf to date. Endured verbal abuse and infractions to prove it:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Changes-to-ecto-salvage-from-rares/first

(edited by Stego.3148)

Posted by: NightyNight.1823

NightyNight.1823

The question is , what is the point of anything other than Glass Cannon?

digiowl.9620

The question is , what is the point of anything other than Glass Cannon?

I sometimes wonder that myself, as i feel the numbers do not really provide a suitable “mass” to anything but direct damage crit builds.

Posted by: Deus Fatorum.2473

Deus Fatorum.2473

The problem is not always the build, but the ability of players to adapt to the change in this games dynamics. There is a lack of the holy trinity, but there is still to some extent support, tanks and DPS, but more so each player needs to be self-reliant too an extent. If I die in a dungeon I can NOT blame the support for not healing me, or the tank for not keeping the aggro.

With that said, glass cannons can be great in dungeons. Certain classes are better suited to it than others, but the biggest issue is the mentality most glass cannon’s have in this game. I have seen far to many DPS builds stand in god knows how many red circles, for the two seconds they are alive, and then blame the group for not supporting them.

If you play glass cannon builds in dungeons you need to be self reliant, because each second you spend dead are seconds you are doing zero damage, and that significantly lowers your “average damage per second”(DPS)

Lol apparently “doing zero damage” with zero typed as “0” trips the profanity filter and comes out “doinkittenage”. Took me a while to figure out why. =P

Posted by: Mayam.8976

Mayam.8976

Well, I’d really just like to point out one issue and that is with AGGRO. It is so murky, subtle, and esoteric in this game that trying to “manage” it isn’t an art form like “trinity based” games of yester year. It’s more like trying to mathematically represent and show reason in utter Chaos. That is to say, impossible.

I’m hardly a great anything in this game so I wouldn’t pretend to be the final word on how anyone should play any aspect of this game but I ran a “glass cannon” build shortly after hitting 80 just for doody and grins with my Warrior. Swooping in and getting a 100 blades set up and executed on a small group in WvW then scrambling to escape if you don’t manage to lay em all out is fun and the build works pretty well in open world PvE too but it isn’t flexible at all and it’s really a one-trick pony all in all. In dungeons I found it rather worthless and I leaned on my Rifle more than anything.

3/5 of your team in melee range with the barest minimum of defense (and I’d hazard a guess their utility bar wasn’t crammed with cond. cleanses, ‘Endure Pain’, and the like either) is just a blatant and obvious “we’re gonna fail hard” group walking through the door. Heck, it’s not like any of em could spec to “tank” anyway or manage aggro if they could figure it out so the other two could even begin to really cut loose. 3 melee Warriors period is not what I’d call well rounded to say the least no matter what their spec though really.

If they don’t at least have a Rifle in their off hand and remain ready to kite as needed you guys were banging your head against the wall anyhow, just banging it harder and faster with 3 G.C’s who didn’t have a shred of defense either. Ranged G.C’s are a different animal altogether though. Personally I didn’t roll a Warrior to be a plate wearing Ranger without a pet though whether we can pull off a high damage range build or not. That’s just me though. Hey whatever works for ya though!

Posted by: Olfinbedwere.5049

Olfinbedwere.5049

Because pve loot is partially calculated by dmg dealt. If you can’t dump enough dmg on something before it’s down you get no loot. Glass cannons probably get twice as much loot as everybody else. And some people are too lazy to respec for dungeon groups.

Mayam.8976

Because pve loot is partially calculated by dmg dealt. If you can’t dump enough dmg on something before it’s down you get no loot. Glass cannons probably get twice as much loot as everybody else. And some people are too lazy to respec for dungeon groups.

Whoa, really? Seriously, not attempting to cast any doubt, I’ve just never heard that before. Where did you hear this?

Olfinbedwere.5049

Whoa, really? Seriously, not attempting to cast any doubt, I’ve just never heard that before. Where did you hear this?

From the Wiki http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Loot
Each player who participates in killing a monster will have the opportunity to loot the body. Each monster has a damage table and a threshold value of damage done to it by the player before it will give full credit for the kill. This value is about 5% to 10% of the monster’s health.1 The loot dropped is unique to the player, and loot received by one player does not affect what another player receives. One monster may drop the same rare item for multiple players.

I believe it’s taken from a quote from Eric Flannum. If you don’t land enough dmg (5-10% of the mobs health) I’m betting it’s closer to 10%, you don’t get loot.

(edited by Olfinbedwere.5049)

Posted by: Amos.8760

Amos.8760

I’m an engineer. Does my opinion count?

My turret is so much better at this game than I am.

Mayam.8976

From the Wiki http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Loot
Each player who participates in killing a monster will have the opportunity to loot the body. Each monster has a damage table and a threshold value of damage done to it by the player before it will give full credit for the kill. This value is about 5% to 10% of the monster’s health.1 The loot dropped is unique to the player, and loot received by one player does not affect what another player receives. One monster may drop the same rare item for multiple players.

I believe it’s taken from a quote from Eric Flannum. If you don’t land enough dmg (5-10% of the mobs health) I’m betting it’s closer to 10%, you don’t get loot.

Ah I see, thank you. I misunderstood sort of, I thought you meant that the more damage you do the greater the value of loot approaching 100% damage dealt. That makes sense though even though I had never read the exact quote. No one can just come skipping up to say a World Dragon and poke him once before he dies and expect a share, at least from all I’ve so far observed. If the previous was the case it would put a whole new spin on the “Glass Cannon” argument though wouldn’t it, heh.

Olfinbedwere.5049

Ah I see, thank you. I misunderstood sort of, I thought you meant that the more damage you do the greater the value of loot approaching 100% damage dealt. That makes sense though even though I had never read the exact quote. No one can just come skipping up to say a World Dragon and poke him once before he dies and expect a share, at least from all I’ve so far observed. If the previous was the case it would put a whole new spin on the “Glass Cannon” argument though wouldn’t it, heh.

Dragons don’t drop loot , it’s event participation that determines chest eligibility. Don’t ask me what all counts as event participation tho. I’ve never risked just attacking Ice Shards during Jormag’s Claw but I assume players that do concentrate on them still get chest loot.

It’s more a matter of normal mob loot rewards and how fast one or two people can burn down a mob, with two glass cannons, a nonglasscannon is often lucky to get a tag in, which isn’t usually enough to win loot eligibility.

When it comes down to only having time to get one or two hits on a mob before it’s burned down those two hits have to equal or exceed 10% of the mobs total health, and glass cannons become the only viable build if you’re interested in loot. I can’t imagine how healer/support builds manage to get any loot, the poor kittens.

Wethospu.6437

On open-PvE there is no point running anything defensive when enemies deal so low damage.
OP was complaining about glass in dungeons.