What is the point of karma consumables now?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: BatsLoveCaves.5768

BatsLoveCaves.5768

With all the changes to karma lately, consider this…

If karma is account-wide and goes in our wallets….

And jugs of karma, sips of karma, drops of karma, etc., are also account-bound and cannot be traded…

And karma boosts no longer affect karma consumables in any way whatsoever…

What is the point of giving us consumable karma items at all? Why shouldn’t we just get the karma added directly to our wallets, instead of having an item to double click on?

The original point of the karma consumables was to trade karma between characters on the same account, yes? But isn’t that irrelevant now?

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

The point of karma consumables is to increase your karma. Like, seriously. :I

Posted by: Yenn.9185

Yenn.9185

I agree with OP. At this point, it’s just pointless clicking.

Posted by: Flubble.8093

Flubble.8093

yes, especially now that we get drips off everything, it is just pointless clicking now, just stick it straight into the wallet.

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

Correct. There is no point anymore. At all.

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

I mentioned this before they changed it. Why still the consumables? no idea… reward treadmill? Make people feel better they got “something”. Like give a little kid a lolly and they treasures the wrapper for 20m? …until the next reward at least.

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

Exactly. Put the karma in the wallets. There is NO point in making us click on the containers. Either add back the effect of boosters or just put the karma direction into the karma pool.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

I’m sure there is a point, it’s just not a point that concerns any of us.

Posted by: Draco.2806

Draco.2806

When you’re making the mechanics you’re just introduced obsolete in the next patch, something isn’t going right.

Namely, you’re not thinking your updates all the way through.

Posted by: wintermute.4096

wintermute.4096

Believe it or not, someone on their team is totally into unser-unfriendly clunky interface devices like that.

At one point, they got asked why wvw badges don’t go straight to your inventory, because the only difference it makes is that you can (and will) occasionally leave lootbags behind if you don’t constantly press the use button while fighting a zerg, which is just stupid and unneccessary. They actually replied that they think it’s better this way, because they like to have the physical item touch to it.

Posted by: Jatacid.3725

Jatacid.3725

There’s probably some deeper game-psychology going on that you’re not aware of that they’ve discussed pros and cons of.

But i agree – they need to make stacks of things easier to use. Like crafting, if you double click on a stack – it could ask you how many you want to ‘craft’ or ‘use’ and then just run by itself.

Posted by: zerorogue.9410

zerorogue.9410

I can understand why it is,
Karma boosters affect any karma you get minus the consumables.
How do you visually tell between boost-able karma and non boost-able karma?

Secondly is the level issue, a jug of karma gives a different value on a lv20 than a lv80.
So removing the jugs would make that account reward of karma you got on your lv20 worth a lot less than if you could transfer then use it on your lv80.

The Karma consumables need to be removed, but not before they can rework it to a better system.

Speaking of useless clicking though Why did they make the essences of luck a consumable??? There’s no boosters, no level scale, no reason why you should automatically get the luck as far as I can see…

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

It’s to waste your time and worsen your carpal tunnel syndrome. Much like the forums.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

Speaking of useless clicking though Why did they make the essences of luck a consumable??? There’s no boosters, no level scale, no reason why you should automatically get the luck as far as I can see…

There’s a big difference between having the luck applied straight after salvage, and looking at the item and clicking it.

Again, the intended way to use the essences is not to buy a million of greens and consume them in one go. You can do that, but then don’t complain about clicking. They are intended to be used over a long time period.

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Likely we are looking at different teams coming up with quick fixes that other teams overlook when they later make another quick fix that makes the original one redundant.

I think the karma items were introduced as a way to gain karma from activity had didn’t have that ability designed in originally (daily achievements and such), because people were karma farming events in Orr and ANet wanted them to spread out more.

The WVW tokens were originally a collectible rather than a currency, and so direct inventory deposit ran into the potential issue of loss because of full inventory. Having it drop on the ground allowed ANet to use the existing pickup code to notify player that there was not enough room.

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

There’s a big difference between having the luck applied straight after salvage, and looking at the item and clicking it.

Again, the intended way to use the essences is not to buy a million of greens and consume them in one go. You can do that, but then don’t complain about clicking. They are intended to be used over a long time period.

Never mind that an artificer can refine them into higher grade items.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

You never know perhaps there might be recipes for them in the future…
The only reason they haven’t taken them back out of the game is because it would take time and “un-coding” I guess not to mention more coding for the karma to be applied automatically.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: mehcetylene.2376

mehcetylene.2376

The consumable karma thing was always stupid, even when karma was character-bound. The original implementation of karma was terrible, and they are only gradually making it less terrible. Consuming “karma” doesn’t even make sense in a role-playing perspective.

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

I can understand why it is,
Karma boosters affect any karma you get minus the consumables.
How do you visually tell between boost-able karma and non boost-able karma?

Secondly is the level issue, a jug of karma gives a different value on a lv20 than a lv80.
So removing the jugs would make that account reward of karma you got on your lv20 worth a lot less than if you could transfer then use it on your lv80.

The Karma consumables need to be removed, but not before they can rework it to a better system.

Sounds logical on the surface, but really it’s just a matter of adding a modifier on the loot/reward tables most likely. I’ve coded stuff like this, especially since it really doesn’t act any different than calculating various XP modifiers. Those modifiers are already there, the only difference is it’s linked to an icon to be displayed onto the GUI and then it had actions assigned to it so that it’ll display a ‘use’ operation to the user.

IMO they should fire their psychologists and shrinks telling them how to make a more addicting game rather than a better game. This is game psychology 101, and I never cared for the stuff.

Posted by: BatsLoveCaves.5768

BatsLoveCaves.5768

Secondly is the level issue, a jug of karma gives a different value on a lv20 than a lv80. So removing the jugs would make that account reward of karma you got on your lv20 worth a lot less than if you could transfer then use it on your lv80.

This is not true. A jug of karma provides 6750 regardless of level.

I still haven’t seen any reason why we still need to have these.

Posted by: IceBlink.4317

IceBlink.4317

Secondly is the level issue, a jug of karma gives a different value on a lv20 than a lv80. So removing the jugs would make that account reward of karma you got on your lv20 worth a lot less than if you could transfer then use it on your lv80.

This is not true. A jug of karma provides 6750 regardless of level.

I still haven’t seen any reason why we still need to have these.

Good news for you (and bad news for everyone else), they can only be obtained from Achievement chests now.

Completing your daily gets you one Drop of Liquid Karma (600 karma)
Completing your monthly gets you one Flask of Liquid Karma (6000 karma)