What is the purpose of blinding?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Pyrefli.5927

Pyrefli.5927

I feel like I am missing the point here. Only the next outgoing attack of the blinded target is negated, regardless of the duration of the blind effect. In effect, you spend maybe 1 second to blind a foe, and he/she needs to spend around 1 second on a wasted basic attack in order to counter the effect, so you don’t come out ahead in any way. In the mean time, you have wasted a precious slot in your skills or traits for this effect. AoE blind is better. What am I missing here? Is single-target blinding really meant to be useful only when your opponent is channeling a spell with huge damage, and you’re using it as a form of interrupt? Thanks for the input.

Posted by: Wranglerist.5489

Wranglerist.5489

Yes, it can be used to blind a channeling skill. It can also work pretty well to stomp someone in PvP.

#ELEtism

Posted by: Anthony.7219

Anthony.7219

Rarely is it the only thing that happens when you use that skill. Many blind skills are instant cast and can be cast in rapid succession with other skills, or aoe repeating casts, tied to another skill or proc., etc.

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Blind works for enemies without defiant. It is theoretically comparable to an aegis boon that blocks one an attack, a brief protection boon that reduces damage by 1/3, and regeneration that needs many ticks to heal one hit of damage. Since it is a skill based defense, it works well for high dps characters that can kill an enemy quickly before the skills expire.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Blind is great against non-champ foes — particularly silver foes. You watch for their big attack animation and blind them when it begins.

It’s also great for stomping in WvW — when done right, it will prevent the interrupt most professions have when downed.

Against champs: completely worthless. Blind is only 10% effective against champs, but the worst part is that you have no idea when that 10% will proc.
This should really be looked into — perhaps a mechanic similar to “defiant” should be implemented for champs and the blind condition.

Posted by: Oniyui.8279

Oniyui.8279

Blind is really good…

that it stacks in duration is a little awkward… intensity would be a bit OP and enable some disastrous effects.

Throwing an idea out there… perhaps if blind instead of making the next attack miss, have each attack miss for the duration, but taking 5 seconds of the duration off for each miss.

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

Effective use of blinds can completely shut down a Hammer warrior. Luckily not many know how to use them properly.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

It’s good with Thief black powder because it pulses. Kinda meh-ish otherwise. It does help a little but not as much as it did in GW1. :P

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Its often used as an opener to another attack.

For example, on a GS guardian, I often pull mobs together and blind them so I can WW without taking any damage.

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Single blinds are meh.

Blind fields are awesome.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Risen Brute knockdown, and other attacks you don’t want to hit you. On non-defiant mobs it’s an extra dodge.

Posted by: Mash Hog.5672

Mash Hog.5672

Blinds are quite hard to use effectively…
but when they are used well they’re pretty ridiculous.

Gasmic > Mic Gazzy
Leader of [GASM] #ELEtism
(Retired) Commander [2500+ tPvP Matches Won]

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

As stated by others, single-target blinds are effectively a well-timed block, except they block for whoever the mob or player is targetting, not just yourself.

Run a Necro with Plague as your elite and turn on the auto blind – you’re now almost immune to any number of mobs (well, up to the cap) for the duration. There are other pulsing Blind skills that work like this too. They can save entire parties from wiping.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

And then comes the dredge… :[

Posted by: Silver.8023

Silver.8023

Blinds are technically better than blocks (not taking into account on block traits) because if a foe uses an single aoe attack, for example the Ettin’s overhead smash, it will actually miss everyone in its area of effect, as opposed to, say, one person blocking it and the other four people getting it.

Edit: Of course, blind is also subject to condition removal/conversion so there’s your downside/upside depending on your perspective.

Silver Stormshield – Guardian
Kaimoon Blade – Warrior
Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

best use for single target blind in game: waste target’s elite single hit elite skill. I promise the cooldown on your blind skill is shorter than their elite skill. you can do this forever if you time it right.

see also: free block.
on my guardian, combined with aegis, I can fight any vet (and some slower champs) without having to dodge once.

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

Posted by: Pyrefli.5927

Pyrefli.5927

Thanks for the advice. I should have made it clearer that I was only questioning single-target, single-application blinds. In fact, I’ve been meaning to get a necromancer and use the Well of Darkness skill – with AoE and multiple pulses, it seems like an awesome defense. In the mean time, I’ll save the single-target blinds for neutralizing opponents’ elite skills.

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

When you get to know your skills well, you end up utilizing blind more often.

Even if you don’t interrupt a large attack with it, you can think of it like a free dodge roll.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

And then comes the dredge… :[

Another reason why my Earth Attuned Glyph of Storms Ele hates them so much. XD