What is the purpose of the multiboxing rule?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

I can’t imagine this would be allowed in any AAA MMO. Can you imagine competitive PvP where you could have someone with 3 toons all attack you in perfect sync, no one would ever stand a chance. No game could ever have any sort of PvP without removing this.

All AAA MMO’s allow this. And the reason is because you’re not looking at it as if it’s 3 players against 1. You’re looking at it as if it’s 1 player against 1. The MMO vendors are smart in that they recognize it’s 3 slots of a battle being taken up going against 1 slot.

You are absolutely correct (all things being equal as far as gear, location of the players to each other, etc) that 1 player would die to 3 players. That exists in all MMOs ever made. So why state that no one would ever stand a chance? The reason you’re stating that is because you’re looking at it wrong, you’re not considering that the multi-boxer takes up 3 slots of game play just as 3 players would.

WoW (Accepted)
Aion (Bannable)
GW2 (Bannable)
FFXI/FFXIV (Can’t find definitive info)
Immortal Night (Bannable)
Runescape (Bannable)
Eve (Think Bannable)
Neverwinter Nights (Think Bannable)

Whether allowed or not, most if not all of these still do not allow you to actually use software to control both accounts at once. The ones who do allow m.b still ban 3rd party software that controls 2 at once. I noticed someones used “Most MMO’s”, but I find that to be very inaccurate. It leans towards a grey area of botting, Arenanet is very black and white about just about every legal aspect of the game.

Either way, GW2 is not those other games. Follow the rules or don’t, its your $60.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Posted by: Casualist.1052

Casualist.1052

its your $60.

12 x $60

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

^^^

Uh yeah we get whats going on… more accounts get you more things… 12x more mats but they also spend 12x more money on accounts so… you should be able to excuse it like you excuse gem buyers… with whatever current reason you guys excuse gem sales with, to pay for water or food for starving employees or supporting the game, whatever.. take your pic, so why cant you use that same excuse for multiboxers, and say they’re helping starving employees, or supporting the game for new content with their extra box purchases, so they should be allowed to have that advantage? We give gem buyers an advantage without question, why not multiboxers?

Please do not discuss illegal activities here. This message thread is not meant for such discussion.

and with this you answer your own question

nuff said

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Posted by: Wirldwide.8046

Wirldwide.8046

1 vs 5. Yes that one player is going to die no matter the situation.

But why should one person have the power of 5 players at their disposal?

Here’s an example of multiboxing getting out of hand:

Let’s stay with this topic for a bit. Because this is a very good example. Thank you for posting a video of me playing WoW with 15 accounts….

You were in one battleground with me and in the video, your side lost. Right? How many Alterac Valley battles have I had? I’ll give you the answer: Thousands. More than anyone that I know of. My side has lost more Alterac Valley battles than won. Check the stats for any of the characters if you don’t believe me or I can provide you the links on request for the stats.

Losing more battles than won in a game that has a /follow command and allows a single key press to go to all clients. The point here is that with these two in place, the win/loss ratio is roughly about 50/50. You just happened to be in a game where your side lost. But you make it huge deal and give everyone the impression that you will lose 100% of the time only because you met me once in battle and lost. Your 50% loss was during that video. That battleground has many factors to it that determine who wins and who loses. The most important being where player numbers meet on the battleground. I was playing 15 in that battle. If all 40 of the opponents met me, I would have been wiped out easily. That didn’t happen. I met numbers of 5 to 10 or 12 in combat. Watch the video closely and you’ll see that’s true. Our side won only because the combat luck was on our side during that battle. Your side lost because of “luck” of a coin where heads fell and you called tails.

Imagine if that battle of my 15 characters had no /follow command and I couldn’t press one key to go to all 15 characters. Your side would win 90% of the time. I’d have no chance meeting 15 players and probably would have no chance if I met 5 to 10 players in the battle.

Playing 15 characters with no /follow command and no ability to press one key to go to all 15 characters would still defeat one player almost all of the time, unless the one player were using siege and there was no way to take out the siege because of positioning.

Wirldwide.8046

I don’t have an opinion that matters, you’re right. A Net does though however, and thankfully they understand that every player should play the game on the same even level (I spend 1 keystroke to gain 1 in-game action ratio). Supporting gem sales is an entirely different point, you’re comparing apples to oranges.

“But by just clicking a bunch more times you never have to spend any real life money on the game!”

It’s the same regardless, however if the multiboxer goes up against 5 players with his 5 characters with the rule and no follow means the multiboxer will die about 90% of the time making it completely unfair in terms of slots taken up in battle.

You’ll die 90% of the time because you’re not as good as a multiboxer from hell who has better hardware, and does it more efficiently than you do.

Please post in this message thread things that are relevant to this discussion.

Posted by: Casualist.1052

Casualist.1052

Let’s stay with this topic for a bit. Because this is a very good example. Thank you for posting a video of me playing WoW with 15 accounts….

You were in one battleground with me and in the video, your side lost. Right? How many Alterac Valley battles have I had? I’ll give you the answer: Thousands. More than anyone that I know of. My side has lost more Alterac Valley battles than won. Check the stats for any of the characters if you don’t believe me or I can provide you the links on request for the stats.

Losing more battles than won in a game that has a /follow command and allows a single key press to go to all clients. The point here is that with these two in place, the win/loss ratio is roughly about 50/50. You just happened to be in a game where your side lost. But you make it huge deal and give everyone the impression that you will lose 100% of the time only because you met me once in battle and lost. Your 50% loss was during that video. That battleground has many factors to it that determine who wins and who loses. The most important being where player numbers meet on the battleground. I was playing 15 in that battle. If all 40 of the opponents met me, I would have been wiped out easily. That didn’t happen. I met numbers of 5 to 10 or 12 in combat. Watch the video closely and you’ll see that’s true. Our side won only because the combat luck was on our side during that battle. Your side lost because of “luck” of a coin where heads fell and you called tails.

Imagine if that battle of my 15 characters had no /follow command and I couldn’t press one key to go to all 15 characters. Your side would win 90% of the time. I’d have no chance meeting 15 players and probably would have no chance if I met 5 to 10 players in the battle.

Playing 15 characters with no /follow command and no ability to press one key to go to all 15 characters would still defeat one player almost all of the time, unless the one player were using siege and there was no way to take out the siege because of positioning.

Wirldwide, to be serious here, I don’t think it’s a fair point to make that Multiboxing is okay because you’re not so good at it that it’s gamebreaking. The same thing for goes for being an “ethical” multiboxer who won’t do it to exploit farming nodes. People will be evil, and people will be godlike at buying hardware and controlling multiple things at once. We’re just lucky that we don’t have any multiboxers from hell yet (but who’s to say we won’t ever?). I think that’s why this rule exists.

Wirldwide.8046

Well let’s examine your example.

Small amount of clicks + US Dollars (in A Net’s posession) = Gold
Huge amount of clicks = Gold

How is this unfair?

I mean the game wouldn’t exist if the company can’t even pay their bills… I’m a little lost here.

Also note that you’re comparing two completely different methods of obtaining gold, while in a multiboxers case, he’s obtaining gold in the same method, just 12 times as frequently (assuming he is insanely good at doing what he does + good hardware)

Please post things that are relevant to this discussion. This message thread is not intended to discuss making gold or gems. Please make a different message thread for discussing that.

Wirldwide.8046

Wirldwide, to be serious here, I don’t think it’s a fair point to make that Multiboxing is okay because you’re not so good at it that it’s gamebreaking. The same thing for goes for being an “ethical” multiboxer who won’t do it to exploit farming nodes. People will be evil, and people will be godlike at buying hardware and controlling multiple things at once. We’re just lucky that we don’t have any multiboxers from hell yet (but who’s to say we won’t ever?). I think that’s why this rule exists.

Once again, please don’t post here if you are not on topic. This message thread is not a discussion on farming nodes.

Wirldwide.8046

I think Wirldwide is the only person dense enough to think that its okay for one person to perform actions on multiple accounts at the same time without it being qualified as botting. As others have said, suck it up and stop bringing this trash to the forums.

Once again, please do not bring in the discussion about botting here. That’s not what this discussion is about.

That’s actually exactly what this is about, you’re just trying to put a different spin on it., a different label. You say other games allow this, but no legitimate AAA title would even consider allowing this.

Once again, this message thread is about Multi-boxing which has nothing to do with botting. Please read the rules on multi-boxing in the link provided in the original post for a description of the subject of this message thread.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Once again, please don’t post here if you are not on topic. This message thread is not a discussion on farming nodes.

Sure it is on topic. The title of your thread is “What is the purpose of the multiboxing rule?” You are wondering why and people are sharing that the rule is in place to minimize exploits and keep game balance fair. Thus it is appropriate to give examples of why the rule is in place. The farming node is a simple easy to understand example of how it could be abused.

You may be the coolest, most honest multiboxer in the world for all I know but many would not be and would take advantage of single key functions for controlling say 12 accounts at once.

Anyway have fun with your 12 accounts and enjoy the game. The rule you don’t like will most likely not change no matter how much you argue for it’s fairness.

Best of luck,
Trogdor!!! The Burninator!!!

The Burninator

Wirldwide.8046

I play 12 Guild Wars 2 accounts …

All the lack of follow function and rule in place to stop sending one key press to many accounts does is stops the game from making more sales.

But you have 12 accounts so obviously they have gotten some sales from you.

One thing you have not done to reinforce your argument is to explain exactly why you want to use this function. How do you plan to benefit from it and enhance your game experience? Do you want to just be able to run maps with yourself? Do you want to farm resource nodes with your accounts at the same place at the same time to get multiple drops then transfer them to your main? Why are you so adamant about being able to do this? Please tell us how keybinding your now 12 accounts will make your game more fun and enhance the gaming experience with your fellow gamers?

I bought 12 accounts because ArenaNet never made any statements about whether or not they were going to add a /follow command or not prior to the games release or when the game was available in pre-purchase. There was also no statement made in terms of multi-boxing the game then. Had I known about this rule then, I wouldn’t have bothered with this game.

I want to be able to do what everyone that plays MMOs does. Boast about what I’ve accomplished. That’s the purpose for how I play just as everyone that I’ve ever seen play an MMO do. If you check your guild chat, map chat, /say, people are always boasting about what they’ve done. From the items they’ve found in the game, the achievements they’ve made, the titles they have, everyone likes to let everyone know how well they’ve done what they did.

Whether or not ArenaNet makes any changes or not, I can still claim I’m the only player that ever multiboxed Guild Wars 2 with more than 10 characters

By having one key go to all 12 accounts, it will make the world vs world battle much more balanced in terms of playing against 12 players. It will give the chance at combat when meeting with 12 players about a 50/50 chance. If the 12 players have siege, it will drop my chances significantly, but with a /follow command in the game, I can just leave the area fast without any incurring damage and I’ll have to wait for more reinforcements. In terms of the zerg, it won’t make that much of a difference unless I see the zerg coming from a distance and get the heck out of the way fast.

I enjoy PvP, but not with a 10% win ratio against the same number of players as I have characters.

Wirldwide.8046

I can’t imagine this would be allowed in any AAA MMO. Can you imagine competitive PvP where you could have someone with 3 toons all attack you in perfect sync, no one would ever stand a chance. No game could ever have any sort of PvP without removing this.

All AAA MMO’s allow this. And the reason is because you’re not looking at it as if it’s 3 players against 1. You’re looking at it as if it’s 1 player against 1. The MMO vendors are smart in that they recognize it’s 3 slots of a battle being taken up going against 1 slot.

You are absolutely correct (all things being equal as far as gear, location of the players to each other, etc) that 1 player would die to 3 players. That exists in all MMOs ever made. So why state that no one would ever stand a chance? The reason you’re stating that is because you’re looking at it wrong, you’re not considering that the multi-boxer takes up 3 slots of game play just as 3 players would.

WoW (Accepted)
Aion (Bannable)
GW2 (Bannable)
Runescape (Bannable)
Eve (Think Bannable)

Whether allowed or not, most if not all of these still do not allow you to actually use software to control both accounts at once. The ones who do allow m.b still ban 3rd party software that controls 2 at once. I noticed someones used “Most MMO’s”, but I find that to be very inaccurate. It leans towards a grey area of botting, Arenanet is very black and white about just about every legal aspect of the game.

Either way, GW2 is not those other games. Follow the rules or don’t, its your $60.

Please if you are going to post here, post accurate information. All of the games you posted allow multi-boxing including Guild Wars 2. On the issue of not allowing one key to go to more than one account, this is an accurate list:

WoW (Accepted)
Aion (Accepted)
GW2 (Bannable)
FFXI/FFXIV (Accepted)
Immortal Night (Accepted)
Runescape (Accepted)
Eve (Accepted)
Neverwinter (Accepted)

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I play 12 Guild Wars 2 accounts …

All the lack of follow function and rule in place to stop sending one key press to many accounts does is stops the game from making more sales.

But you have 12 accounts so obviously they have gotten some sales from you.

One thing you have not done to reinforce your argument is to explain exactly why you want to use this function. How do you plan to benefit from it and enhance your game experience? Do you want to just be able to run maps with yourself? Do you want to farm resource nodes with your accounts at the same place at the same time to get multiple drops then transfer them to your main? Why are you so adamant about being able to do this? Please tell us how keybinding your now 12 accounts will make your game more fun and enhance the gaming experience with your fellow gamers?

I bought 12 accounts because ArenaNet never made any statements about whether or not they were going to add a /follow command or not prior to the games release or when the game was available in pre-purchase. There was also no statement made in terms of multi-boxing the game then. Had I known about this rule then, I wouldn’t have bothered with this game.

I want to be able to do what everyone that plays MMOs does. Boast about what I’ve accomplished. That’s the purpose for how I play just as everyone that I’ve ever seen play an MMO do. If you check your guild chat, map chat, /say, people are always boasting about what they’ve done. From the items they’ve found in the game, the achievements they’ve made, the titles they have, everyone likes to let everyone know how well they’ve done what they did.

Whether or not ArenaNet makes any changes or not, I can still claim I’m the only player that ever multiboxed Guild Wars 2 with more than 10 characters

By having one key go to all 12 accounts, it will make the world vs world battle much more balanced in terms of playing against 12 players. It will give the chance at combat when meeting with 12 players about a 50/50 chance. If the 12 players have siege, it will drop my chances significantly, but with a /follow command in the game, I can just leave the area fast without any incurring damage and I’ll have to wait for more reinforcements. In terms of the zerg, it won’t make that much of a difference unless I see the zerg coming from a distance and get the heck out of the way fast.

I enjoy PvP, but not with a 10% win ratio against the same number of players as I have characters.

You are dodging the other issue. Sure okay play 12 accounts and look cool I couldn’t care less. However you asked why the rule was in place. You many never even have thought about ways to abuse mulitiboxing but for every one of you there are probably 50 that have and have tried it. The rule was just not thrown out there just to kitten you off. “Hey this guy just bout 12 accounts, lets make a macro rule just to mess with him.”

The rules are there not based simply on one person’s play but that of all the players. You can probably thank other multiboxers that abused the system for the rule you are so unhappy about.

The Burninator

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

WoW (Accepted)
Aion (Bannable)
GW2 (Bannable)
Runescape (Bannable)
Eve (Think Bannable)

Please if you are going to post here, post accurate information. All of the games you posted allow multi-boxing including Guild Wars 2. On the issue of not allowing one key to go to more than one account, this is an accurate list:

WoW (Accepted)
Aion (Accepted)
GW2 (Bannable)
FFXI/FFXIV (Accepted)
Immortal Night (Accepted)
Runescape (Accepted)
Eve (Accepted)
Neverwinter (Accepted)

Again, at any time if you use 3rd party programs in those to control them you will be banned. And the excuse “everyone is doing it”, just sounds childish as an excuse to have it here. Especially comparing any of those games (Wow and Aion especially) to GW2. A quick google search will bring up multiple banned accounts for “botting” activity relating to multiboxing. But that isn’t really the argument, it is that it is bannable here, so those others even if I was wrong or not makes no difference. This is not those games.

Even running multiple accounts without software, you can exploit several aspects of most of those MMO’s. Maybe better games ie GW2, recognize that.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

(edited by Geotherma.2395)

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Oh. So you’re Prepared?

If you enjoy insta-killing people with one key stroke like you did in WoW. Then Guild Wars 2 isn’t for you.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Well in his defense botting does imply extremely limited human interaction. A script performing an automated series of actions, like visiting nodes to gather.

Once again, please do not refer to botting here. That’s not what this message thread is about.

Dude, I was defending you. Look before you swing wildly or you’ll hit the guy watching your back.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Hoyvin.3241

Hoyvin.3241

What an utter waste of bandwidth.

Posted by: Little Old Lady.3742

Little Old Lady.3742

I wonder why this kept going. What is the purpose? The purpose was to stop one person from controlling multi accounts with one key stroke.

I’m sure there are so many ways to exploit it. Leave all characters at a node or jumping puzzle chest and click once for loot. Click once to set off a chain of commands that will all a party to kill and loot. Set the keyboard on all account to target closest enemy with X key. All characters attack. All characters move forward and press F. It’s a little different from leaving the keyboard and having the program run your character but very similar.

If you want to clone your actions then don’t play GW2. Guilds could choose to fight together and give all the loot and money to one member, but the guild members have that choice. Multiboxing like that removes the choice. Anet decided the inconvenience of time having to log on to each account and control each character is better than having trains of characters running around the game its Anets rules. Like them or not. Most people like them so… If the majority of players wanted to do things like the OP then they might change the rules but I don’t think that will happen.

Little Old Lady, Sea of Sorrows, Robot Adventurers [RA], Tokyo Japan.

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Can this thread just be closed already ? All that the OP does is tell others to "Dont say that " Dont say this " Dont talk about this “,”you’re not agreeing with me so, Dont say that aswell".Constantly telling that its “Not about botting” well…it is having everything to do with botting. Multiboxing is allowing botters to have an easier life.Everything related to multiboxing is giving people a huge and unfair advantage over others who are not doing so.Just drop it…And if you seriously cannot handle it.Go to those wich allow multiboxing so you can blast away there.Hf.

Posted by: Little Old Lady.3742

Little Old Lady.3742

Can this thread just be closed already ? All that the OP does is tell others to "Dont say that " Dont say this " Dont talk about this “,”you’re not agreeing with me so, Dont say that aswell".Constantly telling that its “Not about botting” well…it is having everything to do with botting. Multiboxing is allowing botters to have an easier life.Everything related to multiboxing is giving people a huge and unfair advantage over others who are not doing so.Just drop it…And if you seriously cannot handle it.Go to those wich allow multiboxing so you can blast away there.Hf.

I was wondering ….“why is the answer not obvious?” It took me a long time to get the mad king slippers for each alt on my account. Could you imagine how kitten people would have been if they saw 12 Norns insync jumping past them.

Little Old Lady, Sea of Sorrows, Robot Adventurers [RA], Tokyo Japan.

Posted by: Saulius.8430

Saulius.8430

gw2 allows multiboxing
gw2 does not allow automation

controlling more then one account with same input is automation. hence unfair advantage against those who do not automate their game play

kill all ze thingz

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

So the question is, why does this rule for Guild Wars 2 which doesn’t exist in any other Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games (MMORPGs) is here?

Just because something is allowed in WoW does not mean it is allowed in every MMO out there except GW2…

As for why… GW2 wants people playing this game, and they want it to be a community and social. That means killing off farming hacks and exploits, such as botting multiple accounts…

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Well, assuming your statement is true, I’d be more curious as to why other games don’t also ban this.

one player = one set of inputs = one concurrent character.

1 Account = 13$ each month 4 Accounts = 52$ each month

That’s why

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Indeed, agree with two above posters.

What is the purpose?

ANet thinks about their playerbase.

Other companies allowing automation thinks about $.

Why should GW2 disallow Automation?
Becouse GW2 is a wonderfull game and other games just doesn’t cut it

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Moderator.1462

Moderator.1462

Hi everyone,

As stated here -https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Policy-3rd-Party-Programs-Multi-Boxing-Macros/first#post1532762- more than one account receiving an input with only one key (ej making X characters move forward by pressing just one W key) is botting, and is automation. It gives the player an unfair advantage over the rest.

You can play as much accounts at the same time as you wish, provided you are ACTIVELY playing them. No third party software, no 1 key for 5 characters. Remember this rule. One key = one action for one character.

As such, multiboxing, in the terms of making several characters act at once with one single key, is not allowed.

Thanks for your understanding.
This thread is closed.