What is wrong with nudity?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Marcin.7250

Marcin.7250

One day playing the game someone linked few items in map chat and I did check them out: Behold! it made my Norn female character nude and I loved it! and actually it made me play more. I do appreciate the level of detail the company made in that aspect so the question is: Would there be mature servers or ways to confirm your age in order to preview you characters nude? I’m 36 years old and I can’t not lie but the attention to the detail of the characters are very well done!

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

I’m not actually sure what to think of this thread.

I did find it rather funny that my charr thief has a strip of cloth across her chest, though, considering that charr were designed without breasts. So it’s not actually doing anything, it’s just there. What’s the point of that strip of cloth, exactly? To look more “feminine” from a human perspective? And given how charr feel about humans, would a charr female actually WANT to look more humanly feminine?

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

Posted by: Thomassassinate.9370

Thomassassinate.9370

“attention to the detail "

Ahem anywho not sure if they made such an item but if they did i’d like to umm inspect… for educational reasons. Yes quite.

(edited by Thomassassinate.9370)

Marcin.7250

I can not do that here but it did make me appreciate the game more; the level of detail was very close to reality; which was a huge bonus. I hope in the future the game companies can become more open minded about this, I really hope so.

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

Lorewise, it’d be rather weird for your character to go off to fight a dragon with no clothing whatsoever.

Gmaeplaywise, I wouldn’t mind if you wanted to see it, but at the same time, I’d prefer not to be bothered by it. Characters in underwear break the immersion enough for me. No need to add even less.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I can not do that here but it did make me appreciate the game more; the level of detail was very close to reality; which was a huge bonus. I hope in the future the game companies can become more open minded about this, I really hope so.

Sounds like you need to play Fallout.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: LHound.8964

LHound.8964

Anything i want to say about this topic, would certainly get me an infraction, so i will just say: Therapy!

Make your own assumptions!

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
Charr’s need more Love. All is Vain
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

Posted by: Rhysati.4932

Rhysati.4932

It’s interesting to see how game companies push the boundries at times, and also interesting how others cower in fear of anything on the edges.

Age of Conan had full upper-body nudity and…it really didn’t matter. Heck, most people probably don’t even realize it has that because they never heard about it. That’s how little it mattered.

Honestly, I wish games would reach the same levels of movies and other media and accept more mature aspects. So long as they rely heavily on in-store sales at places like Walmart though…never going to happen.

ThiBash.5634

I don’t care for nudity in movies either. I’d prefer it if they’d focus on the stories and dialogues instead of hide behind the cheap sales tricks. Games are no different. If I’d want nudity, I’d go to my wife first and google second. Internet’s better at it than games anyway.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Posted by: Laosduude.1690

Laosduude.1690

More like a bonus to me when there’s half naked or nudity in games. Look at a lot of Korean mmos lol

ThiBash.5634

More like a bonus to me when there’s half naked or nudity in games. Look at a lot of Korean mmos lol

Exactly. It’s great to have a game that has less nudity in it. It just doesn’t add anything to gameplay.

Posted by: Laosduude.1690

Laosduude.1690

Blade and Soul, Tera Online, Queens Blade Online (Scarlet Blade english version later), and Vindictus (mabinogi Heroes in KR) are some examples of pretty big skimpy stuff, but that doesn’t affect the gameplays at all due to the fact I played and liked them all, nothing beats Vindictus combat imo. Just terrible company Nexon NA branch lol

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Sexy? yes. Nude? This is gw2… i don’t want nudity in it! go play an H game brah

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

Honestly there is nothing wrong with nudity. At all. There is nothing sleazy about having it or anything. It’s the natural human form. I don’t see an issue with it at all.

But because of game ratings, they can’t have it if they want a game everyone can play. Adding nudity or gore to the game gives it a mature rating and that limits the players that a game can receive. Which in turn, means less money.

Of course there is always those games that show blood, gore, dismembered bodies, and all sorts of drug use and alcohol with language and those are perfectly fine. But god forbid that you show any nudity. Yes, censors are mental.

As in GW2, it just doesn’t really fit. While people work on nude patches all the time, that is the closest you’ll get to available nudity. Even games like The Secret World removed the nudity it used to have for some reason. Don’t know who all played that in beta, but back then, characters used to be nude. Now they wear underwear. Games now a days just don’t want to take those risks anymore when dealing with such a “controversal” feature. But like I said, in GW2, it just doesn’t really fit.

If it was a client side thing, hey more power to you. If you want to see people nude on your screen, good for you. It’s not my business. But with it being a server wide thing that everyone can see, it becomes an issue with other players who might take offense to that sort of thing.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

Na kids play this game cant do that. Besides the outrage of the big massive Jabbu the Hut body styles. Love to see some gaint Norn Blob go flopping by with all those rolls of fat jiggling around. That there is a ball of ectoplasm.
Or the skinny Asurans that disappear when they turn sideways.

Now I am all for it but this isnt a rated 18+ game and not all people and cultures respect the naked body for what I or you see it as.

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

Na kids play this game cant do that. Besides the outrage of the big massive Jabbu the Hut body styles. Love to see some gaint Norn Blob go flopping by with all those rolls of fat jiggling around. That there is a ball of ectoplasm.
Or the skinny Asurans that disappear when they turn sideways.

Now I am all for it but this isnt a rated 18+ game and not all people and cultures respect the naked body for what I or you see it as.

Thats where Mature Servers with age verification would come into place i think it would be insteresting having mature servers the problem would be the roleplayers playing as asura since asura are so small they kinda look like kids.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I guess its up to the players, they could put a filter in but the issue is more the Age restrictions and children can no longer play…i know its silly but the games already rated and would probably cost a lot to change ratings..

AoC was rated high if i remember correctly..

Marcin.7250

You are right Narkosys, well said! Too bad though, since indeed it made me play GW2 more, yes on the sex appeal.

My last word in this matter; More sex less violence America.
Thank you all for responding.

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

Guild Wars 2 is rated T for teen. 13 years and older.

I think nudity requires a mature rating of M 17+ or an adult rating of 18+.

Posted by: Archmortal.1027

Archmortal.1027

Only responding to the topic subject: nothing. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it and the social perspective that it’s somehow not acceptable is hilarious and riddled with populace control from a more puritanical time (look what the popular form of Catholicism at the time did to Japan- they were really open and social about sexuality until the western world went in and “corrected” them).

In reality, there’s an argument to be made about hygiene and cleanliness when talking about mass open nudity. There is no other valid reason to argue against it. When bringing up the “what about the kids” angle it goes to a more psychological place. If children aren’t raised to believe nudity and sexuality are some sort of super sensitive, super mysterious thing that should only ever be experienced in a relationship in their late teens/after highschool then it really would not be an issue. The US is extremely and unreasonably afraid of nudity and sexuality being open things that rightfully should not matter in society at large and it is because of our deeply puritan history of treating it like some kind of horrible thing that will cause you to go to hell.

In the game world it should be even less of an issue. The only reason a player would ever sexualize a naked character is because society teaches them that nudity is super sensitive and adult-only and it is Absolutely Thrilling and Stimulating to someone raised in that mindset to see even so much as an image of nudity much less nudity in reality. The solution is again, to not raise children to think of it as some kind of sensitive “only when you’re older” issue.

Now, if the OP is right and Guild Wars 2 does actually have some realistic models underneath the things that a player cannot normally bypass then kudos to them.
(edit- did some quick googling and I wouldn’t call this realistic, this is what almost every game has to do if it wants the characters to look human enough to relate to and tantalizing enough to appear attractive to the male audience with the expected underwear/risque outfits on)
If not, well, it’s not like ANET was expected to take some kind of progressive stance with nudity/sexuality in US culture (I would say western but it’s a non-issue in Europe compared to the hilariously awful social situation it’s stuck in in the US).

(edited by Archmortal.1027)

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Thats where Mature Servers with age verification would come into place i think it would be insteresting having mature servers the problem would be the roleplayers playing as asura since asura are so small they kinda look like kids.

Kids with shark teeth. I think they’d be left alone.

As for nudity? Pass. I would like to see MORE of the characters when they’re undressed, but not total nudity. Mostly, I want to see more of the fur patterns on my charr, but not to the point where I see anything “adult”.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: VictoriousMonk.7150

VictoriousMonk.7150

the problem would be the roleplayers playing as asura since asura are so small they kinda look like kids.

I wouldn’t look forward to seeing the old Asura females and their sagging raisins.

My last word in this matter; More sex less violence America.

More violets, less violence.

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

Says something that you can stab someone in the back and then stomp on them when they’re downed and get a teen rating, but take you clothes off and suddenly it’s adults only.

Posted by: phlemhacker.1372

phlemhacker.1372

I like the idea of adult servers, but not for nudity reasons, I simply would rather play with other adults rather than kids.

As for the nudity part, I am always amazed at the fact people in the country have no problem with people getting killed or doing the killing in movies, video games, or T.V. but as soon as somebody whips out a kitten crap hits the fan. That said, I don’t really see it fitting in with the game much, the closest thing I have seen in that regard is that largos chick in the story, and that isn’t even bad.

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

The bad thing about nudity is you’d have people jumping all over crowded areas with the fattest ugliest characters they could make in the buff =P

Posted by: Tharium.7325

Tharium.7325

The thing is that having naked women (because nobody seems to ask for naked men ever) in a game like GW2 is not a sign of maturity. To me a video game is mature if it has characters and stories that are complex and have meaningful themes to them. But if there was nudity in GW2 then all it would mean is that we would just have to put up with silly little boys pretending to be girls running around Lion’s Arch naked, yeah really mature. Apart from giving lonely boys something to stare at what would be the point of nudity in GW2 exactly? It’s not realistic and would just make the world a complete joke having all these women running around naked.

Posted by: Tarvok.4206

Tarvok.4206

Come to think of it, I’m actually surprised I haven’t seen what I always used to see when I’d try out WoW: a tavern full of stripped down female characters consantly /dancing.

At any rate, in this culture, you really need a certain maturity level for “natural” nudity to work… and I’m talking about a level of maturity a lot of people in this country never reach.

To paraphrase a certain developer (different game) in regards to this debate on another forum, "I’m twenty-five (or whavever) and I still shout “boobies!” when nudity appears in a movie.

That said, I still find it disturbing that you can blow a guy’s head off in front of kids, but the uncovered female upper body is considered a dire threat to their well being.

Posted by: cargan.5689

cargan.5689

Ever seen a Quaggan wearing pants?

Ulfar SOR

Posted by: Hellfire.3521

Hellfire.3521

Regardless of how this would affect the current player-base, it would look pretty bad from a PR perspective. It’d be pretty darn easy to put a negative spin on the whole thing, Ex: “Anet desperately trying to find players; CREATES EXPLICIT NUDITY SERVERS!”. Not to mention it would obviously require a rating-change, because honestly, you can put in as many “you must be 18 or older to continue” windows as you want, the kids are still gonna click yes.

Doth thine even hoist?

Posted by: Syktek.7912

Syktek.7912

If I want to see a nude Charr or a nude human like character I’ll go to one of many artistic sites that allow those types of drawings.

Vesper Dawnshield | Guardian

Posted by: Koralz.3970

Koralz.3970

There is nothing wrong with nudity, in fact i find the idea of censorship of it quite frankly offensive.

That said the people who are able to handle that type of content are generally not the same people who general ask and beg for it. People who don’t mind nudity are typically not the ones you will see streaking across town. They are the ones who still behave about it in a sane manor.

Posted by: ShadowGryphon.6257

ShadowGryphon.6257

One day playing the game someone linked few items in map chat and I did check them out: Behold! it made my Norn female character nude and I loved it! and actually it made me play more. I do appreciate the level of detail the company made in that aspect so the question is: Would there be mature servers or ways to confirm your age in order to preview you characters nude? I’m 36 years old and I can’t not lie but the attention to the detail of the characters are very well done!

Screenshots or it didn’t happen.

If someone is talking behind your back… Fart.
North Alabama Guild Wars Players
http://tinyurl.com/y9hj2h4b

Posted by: Altair.8402

Altair.8402

The Witcher 2 had nudity and there’s nothing wrong with it.

Posted by: Tharium.7325

Tharium.7325

Well the Witcher is a single player game and the nudity in it was used properly in sex scenes and for prostitute NPCs. GW2 does not have any situations like this and it certainly isn’t any less of a game for that. In GW2 nudity wouldn’t serve any point whatsoever and therefore should not be included just so boys can stare at digital boobs. It’s not that there is anything wrong with nudity, it’s just that in this case there is no need for it.

Posted by: Czar Peter.7961

Czar Peter.7961

Can’t tell if troll… but yeah, nudity wouldn’t add anything to this game. If you’re into that kind of thing, go mod Skyrim or something.

Engineer – Thief – Warrior

Posted by: Erick Alastor.3917

Erick Alastor.3917

Kids slauthering any form of (virtual) life – It’s ok, they will not become serial killers.
Kids jumping around with naked toons – It’s bad for ya, they will become serial rapists.

I see what u did there.

Anyway I don’t care about it, but it would not bother me.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

Nudity will find its way into MMO’s at some point. There is a market for it. No developer has tapped into it yet. The average MMO gamer is in thier 30’s.

However, Arenanets target demongraphic is the same as Blizzards. Try to get as many age groups as possible in one big adventure that’s fun for the whole family!

Mature content themes will be in much higher demand at some point. I’d say give it another 5 years or so.

Posted by: Rhysati.4932

Rhysati.4932

Nudity will find its way into MMO’s at some point. There is a market for it. No developer has tapped into it yet. The average MMO gamer is in thier 30’s.

However, Arenanets target demongraphic is the same as Blizzards. Try to get as many age groups as possible in one big adventure that’s fun for the whole family!

Mature content themes will be in much higher demand at some point. I’d say give it another 5 years or so.

As has been pointed out several times already, Age of Conan has full upper-body nudity. There’s even a breast enhancing item.

Posted by: Archmortal.1027

Archmortal.1027

Screenshots or it didn’t happen.

As I edited into my first post in here, just google GW2 nudity. There will be an article from some game site or other that will provide links. It’s just the character models without the underwear. It’s really inoffensive considering it’s just the type of modeling games need to make their human characters relatable and appealing to the male audience. There’s no actual reproductive bits, it’s just the general shape without the extra underwear texture on top of it.

(edited by Archmortal.1027)

Posted by: Rustypipes.6238

Rustypipes.6238

To be honest, I find the “almost” nude to be favorable. It leaves the imagination open to it’s own vices.

There is nothing at all wrong with nudity, but in a video game whose demographic falls into the early teen years it’s best left out to avoid parental outrage, since nudity is considered 18+ for everything else in media.

Posted by: Evil.7529

Evil.7529

“Where’d little Jimmy go?”…“I bet he over in the corner with his Norn’s pants around it’s ankles again.”

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

[&AgE5VAAA]

Enter it in-game in the chat and preview to your heart’s content.

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

Posted by: LieutenantGoogle.7326

LieutenantGoogle.7326

I don’t know about you, but I would be less inclined to play the game if all I ever saw was half the people in lions arch were hormone driven teenagers running around flaunting their “assets”.

lv80 with skills fully unlocked, warrior, elementalist and engineer
lv80 Necromancer, all professional skills unlocked, working on the final norn elite skills.

Posted by: MrMacAndCheese.3907

MrMacAndCheese.3907

I’d like to quote Mark Twain, from “The Diaries of Adam and Eve”, ( I think):

“Naked people have little or no influence in society.”

My personal opinion? Stretch marks, pimples, and hair, oh my. It’s overrated. Hold out for Scarlet Blade or go back to TERA with the patch.

Posted by: Leablo.2651

Leablo.2651

It’s not realistic and would just make the world a complete joke having all these women running around naked.

Yeah, I said pretty much the same thing to my bipedal cat as we fought an undead dragon on the drive home from work today. He had just finished casting a fireball and replied, “you know what would really be ridiculous, is seeing a naked woman out here.” Then I drank a potion and turned into a tornado.

Posted by: Draahl.3827

Draahl.3827

I’m not actually sure what to think of this thread.

I did find it rather funny that my charr thief has a strip of cloth across her chest, though, considering that charr were designed without breasts. So it’s not actually doing anything, it’s just there. What’s the point of that strip of cloth, exactly? To look more “feminine” from a human perspective? And given how charr feel about humans, would a charr female actually WANT to look more humanly feminine?

Charrs have a minimum requirement of clothing for modesty as well They don’t have breasts but probably teets, and since every other race is doing it I figured they might as well to not make other races think about it too much.

Posted by: Wasabi Kitty.8247

Wasabi Kitty.8247

That’s the issue.

With nudity in the game the ESRB can change the rating to mature, and that could hurt sales.

Anet make Rev great again.

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

I’d be all for nudity if it made sense (and it does in some cases i guess?) but it would create too many problems for the game and the company so it’s probably not worthy

and yeah, less dancing elves on tables (not that i’d say no to that if it happened to me in rl, but…)

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

Posted by: Iris.5918

Iris.5918

What really grabbed my attention here are people talking about roleplay in a topic asking for nudity…
Are you sure you’re playing the right game?

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

‘wrong’ is not the right word I think. To me there are several problems the main one being there are only idealized bodies in game. Walk down a nude/topless beach and you will not see an increadable number of perfect or near perfect bodies (or look in the mirror). Surrounding yourself with fake perfection is probably not really emotionally good for you. Another thing is that while there is nothing ‘wrong’ with our bodies many cultures/religions/groups find nudity shocking and upsetting emotionally (even seeing Ken and Barbie naked is too much) so instead of throwing it out there and hoping the people who sign into an adult server are adults it is better just to leave it swimsuit style.