What is your play strategy?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

For instance in PvE I could describe my style and build mantra as “The most effect for the least work.” while in PvP and WvWvW my build mantra would be “Pressure and wait for them to slip up.”

What’s your mantra? How do you typically think when building your builds (if you build your own that is, I understand not everyone does)?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

My play strategy?

Harvestharvestharvestkillkillsalvagesalvagesalvagekillkillsalvagesalvageharvestharvest

Content drought….

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I go through phases. I used design around survivability primarily, with toughness amd healing builds. Lately this sums up where I am leaning towards with new alts. And yes I make my own builds, for better or worse. Cant stand metas.

Attachments:

(edited by Randulf.7614)

Posted by: Deedrick.4372

Deedrick.4372

My play strategy?

Harvestharvestharvestkillkillsalvagesalvagesalvagekillkillsalvagesalvageharvestharvest

Content drought….

Didn’t you miss forum post in that rotation?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

My play strategy?

Content drought….

Didn’t you miss forum post in that rotation?

Oh, thank you. Fixed it.

forumforumforumharvestharvestharvestkillkillsalvagesalvagesalvage
killkillsalvagesalvageharvestharvestforumforumforum

/sigh Bored in game. Harvesting to sell to make gold while waiting for new content.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Asumita.2174

Asumita.2174

“Grind till you drop!”

Posted by: Esquilax.3491

Esquilax.3491

PvE: Uh, “kill it.”
“Kill it with fire, before it kills me.”

I don’t really take survival into account unless I know the attacks of the boss/enemy I’m fighting. I need to know an attack is coming to dodge it :/ I can’t really “learn on the fly” by watching for telegraphs and AoE’s, I guess I’m slow.

In PvP “Safety in numbers” ie. If me and two other guys see a swarm of 50 red names headed towards us, there’s no way I’m sticking around to find out the results.

I don’t SPvP because I’m not very good and I don’t like letting people down OR getting abused.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Forums → Weekend → Raid → Repeat

If we’re extremely lucky i may do a weekday raid or even fractal. But as is it’s just a daily log in and log out.

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

i dont adapt any one strategy. i make builds (or try to with limited options) and play according to what would work best for the situation. for example i use a triple knockback engi build and try to disable someone completely from a fight, or play a super bursty fresh air ele and try to burn through someones defenses, or a tanky mesmer to share alacrity and do decent damage. i enjoy the meta and use it often enough but its not enough to satiate my desire to experiment.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

Cover the basics for most given scenarios….

I mostly roam WvW or PvP so,
WvW power build: make atleast 2200 power, 50% crit and have atleast 2300 toughness, have a stun break, a condi cleanse, a gap closer and a block/invuln and have a maxed out Elite Spec.

PvP: Read the chat, let everyone run out gates and watch where they go, then move accordingly, have atleast 2 stunbreaks, a condi cleanse and some utilities to help allies.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

Posted by: HwaRyun.1807

HwaRyun.1807

Monday – Raid
Tuesday – If i login, raid again to help people who still need a clear
Wednesday – Same as Tuesday.
Thursday – Nothing.
Friday – Nothing.
Saturday – Nothing.
Sunday – Skillfully avoid guild missions. Also, nothing.

The game has almost zero interesting or fun content aside from raids now, so there’s no reason to do anything else.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I slot skills and traits as I get them, if I find them fun I stick with them, if I find them boring I swap them out. There’s no overall strategy to it and the end result is often a bit random by most people’s standards, but I can complete most content and I have fun doing it which is the most important thing.

But in general I think I prefer skills with lots of effects. A combination of direct damage and conditions, with traits and sigils that trigger on critical hits, and extra effects like combo fields are always nice.

I also like to have good mobility, skills which enable me to move around the battlefield are useful and fun, so I usually have at least 1 on each character.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Drakz.7051

Drakz.7051

In pve I change frequently but for some I go survivability dps or pthers I go heal and support.

Pvp it is just whatever can win me matches and can go toe to toe with a meta

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Solo: Havoc and Fun. (Sometimes Focused Task Havoc and Fun.)
With Newbies: Teach them as much as possible. Then Havoc and Fun.
With Party/Squad: Havoc and Fun while respecting the mission objectives.
HoT Maps: Carefully Havoc and Fun.
Jumping Puzzles: Just Fun.
PvP: Havoc and…. dead.
WvW: Havoc and Run.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Play strategy:

forums – build theory – spend gold on making build – test – get distracted by new idea – build theory – spend gold on build craft – test – get distracted by new idea – forums – farm iron ore for more gold.

Mantra:

No meta; no zerker gear.

~EW

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

I do whatever I feel like doing at the time, excluding PvP and WvW. No meta. Lots of toons, multiple accounts, lots of time spent harvesting. Weeknights, maybe have time to log everyone in to farm whatever they are parked next to and do the daily on the main account if it isn’t too much bother.

Weekends, I usually have some goals in mind but if I don’t get there, I still had fun along the way.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

When it comes to builds, I choose to go with what is most effective for what I plan to use it for and how I want to play it. A lot of time, it lines up with the meta build more or less.

As far as playing the game, it depends on what I’m in the mood for. I stopped farming as I found a better use of my time that yields more gold. Essentially, I can get roughly 500G+ with only two hours of my invested time which doesn’t involve trading on the TP.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

I like my ‘hybrid’ builds. I never like to focus on one thing for an extended period of time (and an extended period of time for me is over 1 hour) so only being able to do 1 thing well will bore me. So I make it 2 focuses per build so I can play for 2 hours without getting bored!

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I’m making more ascneded…. just because…..

I got 7 full armors (excludng breathers)

• 1 Assassin DPS Light
  • 1 Berserker DPS Light,
  • 1 Viper DPS/Condi Hybrid Light
  • 1 Zealot DPS/Heal Light,
  • 1 Zealot DPS/Heal Medium,
  • 1 Zerk DPS Heavy,
  • 1 Viper DPS/Condi Hybrid heavy

I got 4 partial armors

• 3 parts Trailblazer Light Bunker/Condi (Chest,Legs,Helm)
  • 2 parts Zealot Light DPS/Heal(Chest,Legs)
  • 1 part Zerk Medium DPS (Chest)
  • 3 parts Minstrel Heavy Bunker/Support/Heal (Chest,Legs,Helm)

I got 80 ascended weapons
I got 22 ascended backpacks, 10 infused ones…
I got ~25 sets of asnceded trinkets…. no swapping required.

Now for full ASC…

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Posted by: OtterPaws.2036

OtterPaws.2036

Play the meta cause im most comfortable playing whats tried and tested.

~Hart Warband~
Levi Ironhart, Cassandra Irehart, Lucio Trothart
Discord Gearhart, Naevius Soulhart, Frisk Softhart

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

As a person who loves tanky characters in MMOs, my motto is: “Survive everything!” It works. When Eir was bugged in the last HoT personal story she put like 50 stacks of Burning on us in matter of seconds. Everyone was dead, I was running around in Shroud losing all the burning every 3 secs thanks to trait and I asked “Ummm, should I die or what?” I’m also the person who prevents party wipes in those crazy Fractal pugs. Fun stuff.

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

Push all the buttons!

Either that or like Brogan Lackery run away~

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Push all the buttons!

Either that or like Brogan Lackery run away~

Shame on you!

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Overwhelming power, here. Max Solo DPS and group buffing builds here. Not necessarily meta, as “meta” builds assume you are with a group who is also running “meta” builds. But yeah, I’ve got full zerker and scholars on most toons, with few exceptions. Also I have full vipers on a lot of toons, too.

Thanks to the way the classes were balanced, even going full glass I still have greater statistical bulk than most enemies. That way, things die faster and I get more money.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.