What kinds of things do you miss from GW 1?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

While everyone posting here is missing the skill system, and who can blame them, Guild Wars 1 had the best skill system ever, I want to add something slightly different:

Mob skillbars. In Guild Wars 1 all mobs were using the exact same skills available to players, same attack speed, same moving speed, ~same damage (at same levels), ~same healing etc, in Guild Wars 2, just like in most MMORPGs, and even lots of single player RPGs as well, the mobs are using some different skills, they have more hit points, FAR reduced attack speed and more damage (for example Veterans/Champions). Also, there was full skill synergy in Guild Wars 1, the combo system is very lacking in Guild Wars 2, they need to expand upon it. It is important to note that in Guild Wars 1 you didn’t have a 8-skill skillbar, you had 64, 8 per character in a 8-man team with FULL synergy among them, it’s wrong to say that in Guild Wars 1 you had just 8 skills. In Guild Wars 2 there is absolutely no party building required.

The system in Guild Wars 1 allowed Arenanet to create challenging encounters without adding 1-shot kill abilities, super damage red circles, without increasing damage, without increasing hit points. Instead, all they had to do to make an encounter difficult was to add “meta” skillbars on mobs. Just like what they did in Slaver’s Exile or any of the Guild Wars Beyond content, “pro” builds so players were occasionally fighting mirror builds of themselves.

The system also allowed the inclusion of pve-only skills, that “forced” players to earn reputation points to make them more powerful. Some of those pve-only skills were seriously overpowered and could tip the balance when fighting in Hard Mode. And so we come to the second missing point in Guild Wars 2:

Reputation. The various factions in the game were giving benefits when fighting in their respective zones, while also improving the power of certain pve-only skills. The reputation system increased the replayability, depth and of course longevity of the game. It tied in perfectly with Hard Mode, Vanquishing and finishing those Handbooks for reputation, which required the player to complete either all story steps or all dungeons, or at least a great number of them.

They removed that perfect system and instead on focusing on doing ALL dungeons players are “forced” by the system to farm a single dungeon for the looks/gear they want (how lame is that?) unless they want the Dungeon Master’s title. In Guild Wars 1 there was good reason to do all dungeons and repeat ALL missions, something that is solely missing in Guild Wars 2 were players are required to jump farm/grind specific places.

Secondary objectives, all missions had some kind of a secondary or optional objective. Those added an extra layer of depth, difficulty and replayability. Also, in a game with full npc teams, they made it essential for players to group up and do content together, who remembers the mission in the jungle or the desert in Prophecies? Some of the secondaries were extremely hard with henchmen (not so with heroes though)… These objectives gave an extra, important incentive to go back and redo missions.

Also, very recently I created a Charr and played with a group of friends up to the level 10 personal story quest. Let me tell you that a group of 5 has a different experience than soloing, Anet did an excellent job at scaling the personal story quests with more players but nobody will see it, nobody will see how epic Battle of Claw Island is with 5 players, nobody will fight the Mouth of Zhaitan with 5 players, that has little in diffirence than a dungeon boss etc. There is potential to turn some PS quests in missions, like in Guild Wars 1, along with secondary objectives, replayability, why not add Hard Mode and reputation books to them as well.

Posted by: callidus.8134

callidus.8134

Hall of Heroes? Probably the best reason to play PvP ever.. HA, TA, RA, GvG.

crafting shouldnt exist, the black lion trading would be much better off.

I just miss gw1 period… gw2 went backwards somehow…

the first wintersday was when I got my copy of gw1, it felt warm and cosy with strands of Christmas lights strung from pole to pole, and there were places for people to hang out to create hubs for different level characters.

Ascalon City : Levels 1-8
Lions Arch : Levels 8-12
Beacon’s Perch : Anyone running or lfr to Drok’s
Droknar’s Forge : Levels 0-20
Ring of Fire : Levels 20-20
ToA (for FoW or UW) : Levels 20-20

There were always places to hang out and help each other in THE ONE LOCAL CHAT WE HAD. THERE WERENT 10 DIFFERENT CHATS PER MAP. WE DIDNT GET MESSAGES SAYING “You have exceeded the limit of messages” for 20 minutes solid until a party search function was implemented.

ToA was a place for the endgame players to hang out and trade the highest valued item Ectos.

There werent many exploits that i came across as an average mmo player, but some things felt like exploits and made me money in a way that was better than grinding. Ex, running incapable players to Droks for 1p each. or other shiverpeaks runs to citadel and so on where you could charge 8p each.

I helped other players that were a lower level, it wasnt right, because what they were doing was get level 20 armor at level 3, but it was the best type of game i ever played. truly a thing of the past.

- A Disgruntled Veteran of GW1

(edited by callidus.8134)

Posted by: Flubble.8093

Flubble.8093

first person view

^—-THIS!!!

I don’t know why they didn’t even have a simple one like they had in gw1, it’s great for screenshots etc, they go on about how beautiful the world looks, well let me see it and take pictures without my character standing in the middle of it all the time.

Posted by: Satakal.6971

Satakal.6971

Everything about Cantha
Skull hunting
Xunlai chests when you needed one
Way armor is obtained/crafted, and collectors
Distinctive armor for every profession
Armor designs
Storyteling
PvE enemies using player skills, feels like they had vastly superior AI too
Respeccing anytime
Unique boss and dungeon chest drops

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

What I miss;

Guild Hall

Decorating my Hall of Monuments

Lots of skills to choose from

Hat/costume makers

Pre-Searing

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

I liked the cinematics of GW2 and it’s epansions, it was a much more imersive story mode than GW2 as with this “conversation screens” instead of action.

Also Party with people was much easier, and fun to play in group (that is not that intuitive in GW2).

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

Posted by: wasted.6817

wasted.6817

Cantha. Jade Sea. Alliance Battles. Running services. Skill hunting. Build and equipment manager. Team Arena. Drops from bosses. Deep. Jade Sea. Yes, i know, i said that already, but… Jade Sea.

Posted by: Lalangamena.3694

Lalangamena.3694

- a decent grouping tool.

- ability to have a ‘party’ that have ten or more people (we can call it platoon, squad , incursion etc we don’t have to call it “raid” as the game has no raids…)

Posted by: Anchorwind.9016

Anchorwind.9016

It would be easier [and quicker] to say I would be happy if they announced a GW3. It plays just like GW, picks up after GW2 lore wise but keeps: Z-Axis, Auction House [and the return of the trade window], and the painterly aesthetic.

Posted by: StreaMRoLLeR.9135

StreaMRoLLeR.9135

let me think………
C-A-P-E

Posted by: Essarious Quw.8946

Essarious Quw.8946

Guild Halls.

When they finally patch that I will feel like I’ve got my money’s worth XD I didn’t realise how much we relied upon one as a guild until it wasn’t there.

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

Humans.

And only humans as an option to play.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

Everything of course but mostly skills and variety. The ability to entertain ourselves for years even without constant updates.

The only thing I didn’t like about GW1 is that ANet abandoned the entire game to work on this abomination.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Posted by: phototed.6192

phototed.6192

I am glad that I am not the only one missing the GW 1 Mesmer. I feel the GW2 mesmer is severely lacking in the capabilities of what the GW 1 mesmer offered.

Posted by: pdfrod.1948

pdfrod.1948

What I really miss from GW1 is Kilroy!

Posted by: Miomooki.3812

Miomooki.3812

Oh boy I really do miss some things..
•Ritualist ~ this times 10. My favourite GW profession ever!
•Dervish ~ There’s obviously room for one amazing melee
•UW/FOW
•Great variety of elite skills and how to capture them
•Hard mode
•Boss weapon drops

Posted by: Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

Districts
Guild Halls
Guild Capes
Capturing Skills from bosses
Missions
Quests
Hard Mode
Ritualists
Cantha
Dervishes
Elona
Alliance System
Being able to see the last time someone logged on in the guild
More Emotes
Rearranging Skills
Having a HUGE variety of skills
Being able to customize EVERYTHING on the UI
Festival Hat Makers/ Costume Makers
Auto Following party members or NPCs
Enemies stop being targeted after they die
The screen going funky when drunk
Titles
Free map travel
Free attribute retraining
Secondary Proffessions

This pretty much sums it all up for me as well.

Posted by: HunterFox.2578

HunterFox.2578

Everything in here is pretty much what i miss as well. Never really did pvp stuff much except a few factions fights with multiple teams of 8 folks (kinda a lan party with friends).

I do remember that initially the game was a lot harder due to Alesia being such a kitten with Her healing AI. When factions came out, i had to just stick to my alts in prophecies because i couldnt get past certain missions. (it was nice that you HAD to do the mission before you could progress further in game). Once nightfall came out and heroes were introduced i wentback through factions/cantha and beatthe campaign. The afflicted are probably just as bad as risen imo.

So with expansions i know there will be added mechanics and hopefully make it a better gameplay exp.

Also, maybe theyll add a better set of skills to choose from for weapon sets(warrior interupts and bleeds).

Not sure what else to say as its already been stated but just to reinforce it….i loved the skill hunts for elites!

Posted by: Phantax.1369

Phantax.1369

For me answering this was easy.

I miss the massive amount of skills we used to be able to choose from. For me, that made it feel like my characters were unique to me. I chose the skills I wanted and wasnt forced into a predefined template.

If I could have anything grom GW1 brought to GW2 it would be that

:)

We’re not retreating… we’re advancing in a different direction !
Money can’t buy happiness, But it allows you to search in more places to find it !

Posted by: nolop.8095

nolop.8095

The one thing I miss the most from GW1 is hard mode.
While it’s ok to make content appealing to a larger audience, I really miss a challange in GW2.
And I’m talking about challanges not bosses with a gorillion hp that take hours to kill and oneshot everything unless you bring the apropriate tier of gear.
I’m talking about encounters that need strategy, and thinking to take down not hours of grinding and farming.

The second thing I miss is skill synergy.
In GW1 we had to think about how we combine skills to get maximum effects -
interaction with conditions and skills – get energy back if a certain condition is on the target ect.

Third thing is skill variety.
GW1 had so many skills it was scary at times, GW2 has barely enough skills to establish a illusion of choice.
GW1 had elite skills that shaped and defined a Build. In GW2 I rarely ever use any elite skill since they have just too much cooldown and I just forget about them.
elite skills in guildwars just feel “slapped on”. You have your build and then take the elite that you like best. It just doesn’t matter at all what elite you pick or at least it does not feel like it matters and I often wish I could yous slot an additional normal skill instead of an elite.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Actually the thing i miss the most is Fort Aspenwood. That pve’ish pvp was AMAZING

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: Joey.3928

Joey.3928

While I agree with pretty much all points brought up, you have to remember that most of what everybody has said was added to the game AFTER launch. I think if we give GW2 a chance to grow into itself, we will see all these things or iterations of them in the future.

Estel Wolfheart
Norn Ranger
Hardcorepwnograhpy [HARD] | Isle of Janthir

Posted by: Vytality.3195

Vytality.3195

Well, I have not played GW2 since Nov. 13th, ( I had over 300 hours in it) but if GW had z axis and a trading post, it would be about perfect.

What did I miss?

Heroes.
Hard mode.
Dual professions.
Free travel.
Lvl cap @ 20.
Interesting storylines.
Easy to get BiS gear.
Loot that was worth something.
Gwen. (Kerian never got her in MY story.)

In GW2, Guild halls would be hard to implement due to the multi-guild system. Loot will not improve due to the cash-for-gems-for-gold system. (And I actually thought that was going to be a good idea…..) Heroes will require large instanced areas. (Not like that is a bad thing.)

Vytality- Guardian
Vyt Mindbender- Mesmer
Fort Aspenwood since BWE 3. Spirit of Faith (HOPE)

Posted by: LaronX.8079

LaronX.8079

M.O.X

The District system. Srsly that was super awesome why did they take it out?

M.O.X

Boss Drops. Certain weapons where just awesome.

The Hall of the Monument. Yes I know it is in the game but it isn’t the same. To enter the Eye of the North and go into the Hall and see what you have achived is just a great feel.

M.O.X

Scythe. I really liked them :/

The cutscene. I don’t get why you don’t render them ingame like they did in Gw1. You are in an instance for most of the stuff. If they don’t do it for the once in the open world it would be fine.

Pre-Searing Ascalon … we will never see that again :*(

M.O.X

Blub.

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

-Guild Halls
-Building own skill bar
-Petless rangers
-Green weapons
-No stealth skills
-Underworld, Fissure of Woe, Domain of Anguish, The Deep, Urgoz
-No loot restriction
-Wintersday and Halloween events that had next to nothing linked to the cash shop
-GOOD titles
-More emotes
-Alliance system
-Hard Mode
-First person view

Posted by: Kill Momma.6127

Kill Momma.6127

I miss GW1…. If I Could play it on Mac then I probably wouldn’t play GW2. The whole game just seems off… Elite Skills, No guild hall (Why even have guilds now if you don’t use them), oh and GUILD CAPES, skills, cutscenes, the list goes on and on…

HOD [PHZE]
Chemistry can be a good and bad thing. Good when you make love with it. Bad when you make crack.

Kill Momma.6127

What I miss;

Guild Hall

Decorating my Hall of Monuments

Lots of skills to choose from

Hat/costume makers

Pre-Searing

Ahhh Pre-searing….the best part about GW hands down….

HOD [PHZE]
Chemistry can be a good and bad thing. Good when you make love with it. Bad when you make crack.

Posted by: ophidic.1279

ophidic.1279

Don’t forget Henchmen/Heros so you can do a dungeon solo without having to worry about others.

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

THE REAL MESMER ! Enough of this illusion trickster! I want my real mesmer!

Fort Aspenwood and a lot more but FA and Mesmers are what I really miss the most :-))

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

Posted by: Sneaks.2071

Sneaks.2071

1. Guild Halls – though I hear these are coming soon.
2. Guilds that actually talk, the social aspect of the game in general (I just posted a thread about this).
3. Frequently having to find a party – I know this isn’t supposed to be miss, but it contributes to #2.
4. Capes – added some goofiness.
5. Guild tab interface – how long ago someone logged on, how long ago someone joined, invited by who. General stalker information. (Totally kidding).
6. Ping dot – hovered it with your mouse to see your ping instead of going into options.
7. Lively “all” chat. Seems to only happen sometimes in LA now.
8. More emotes – I hear these are coming soon as well.
9. Districts – I don’t like the server system, but I understand why it’s used.
10. Free map travel
11. Being able to auto-follow

(edited by Sneaks.2071)

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

1. Guild Halls – though I hear these are coming soon.
2. Guilds that actually talk, the social aspect of the game in general (I just posted a thread about this).
3. Frequently having to find a party – I know this isn’t supposed to be miss, but it contributes to #2.
4. Capes – added some goofiness.
5. Guild tab interface – how long ago someone logged on, how long ago someone joined, invited by who. General stalker information. (Totally kidding).
6. Ping dot – hovered it with your mouse to see your ping instead of going into options.
7. Lively “all” chat. Seems to only happen sometimes in LA now.
8. More emotes – I hear these are coming soon as well.
9. Districts – I don’t like the server system, but I understand why it’s used.
10. Free map travel
11. Being able to auto-follow

I agree with you as well, I’ma add a few more things :P

1. “Unique profession feeling” like necros looked demonic, mesmers looked like mistresses, warriors looked like gladiators, dervishes looked like reapers..I like to know which profession everyone is without clicking on them.
2. The music, I would like more variety in GW2
3. More emotes/ “profession based emotes” like eles have ele emotes and no one else but eles can use them… I really miss /flute on my ranger >.<
4. More skills…I like creating my own build, not having one handed to me and never be able to change it

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Posted by: Destai.9603

Destai.9603

1. Missions
2. Moving attributes freely (in the case of this game, traits)
3. Guild Halls
4. Green weapons
5. Emotes. (It was really cool to see ‘bands’ playing in pre-searing)
6. Districts
7. Free Map travel
8. Fissure of Woe/Underworld
9. Mesmers
10. Rewarding finish to the story, bosses being epic

Posted by: TheUndefined.1720

TheUndefined.1720

I’m not for sure if this has been posted yet, but…

Going out, and finding skills for my characters!!!

That was probably one of the most fun things I did in GW1! I absolutely loved finding an elite on GW wiki, figuring out where the monster was (of course it was in the southern shiverpeaks -.-), and taking this epic journey out to cap the skill!

I remember having to go through that snake path in the Shiverpeaks with an alt, and just being halted in my steps by the sheer beauty of the zone. I totally felt like I was Bilbo or Frodo in Tolkien’s novels! I adored the fear, and danger of going through those zones too! I’d often find myself saying, ‘oh geez where’s the next waypoint! Nooo we’re not going to make it! Oh my gosh… we made it to the last part of the map with 10 health!’ Those moments, and memories will stay with me for a long while.

I’d love to have more of that in GW2. I want to have epic adventures crawling all over the maps, and not just for completion. I’d love to find an elite skill, and build my entire character around it!

Those were some adventures.

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

That was probably one of the most fun things I did in GW1! I absolutely loved finding an elite on GW wiki, figuring out where the monster was (of course it was in the southern shiverpeaks -.-), and taking this epic journey out to cap the skill!

I remember having to go through that snake path in the Shiverpeaks with an alt, and just being halted in my steps by the sheer beauty of the zone. I totally felt like I was Bilbo or Frodo in Tolkien’s novels! I adored the fear, and danger of going through those zones too! I’d often find myself saying, ‘oh geez where’s the next waypoint! Nooo we’re not going to make it! Oh my gosh… we made it to the last part of the map with 10 health!’ Those moments, and memories will stay with me for a long while.

I’d love to have more of that in GW2. I want to have epic adventures crawling all over the maps, and not just for completion. I’d love to find an elite skill, and build my entire character around it!

Right on! It was what attracted me to GW1 and held me captive. XD
I’m trying to think of how GW2 can pull that off too. It might have to involve racial skills so that groups can be of any profession when hunting them down.

(edited by Redfeather.6401)

Posted by: TheUndefined.1720

TheUndefined.1720

That’s actually all I really did in GW1 lol. I’d just go out, and have adventures trying to put together different types of builds. I’d take a studious approach as well with a notepad out trying to compare numbers, and work together different sorts of skills into my silly gaming nerd equation.

My heart would sink if I saw I had to do half of an entire expansion before I was able to get a skill, but you know what I did? I’d do that half of the expansion as fast as I could just to get enough sunspear points for my rank, or to get enough reputation with the Kurzicks / Luxons.

Accomplishing my silly (totally not as effective as everyone else’s) builds in the end was so incredibly rewarding. Those skills were like pieces of my BiS armor sets.

A good way to add that sort of adventuring in GW2 would be to introduce new weapons then go out, and do quests to unlock the skills. I’m sure people would probably be annoyed at this, but I think that’d be pretty fun!

Posted by: Zapan.7460

Zapan.7460

I want to summon a Fire Imp to assist me as I smear Risen all over the lands of Orr. I’ve infrequently, very infrequently, gotten more Gifts of the Huntsman since GW2 launch, but still have a mule that has yet to enter the post searing world.
_I feel that a descendant of Nicholas Sandford & Professor Yakkington will eventually pop up in GW2. A human body with a Dolyak head…. 0o ;P or a normal offspring for each, that is not of mixed species.

Posted by: Brannidus.4175

Brannidus.4175

I love GW1. Hell, I still play it a lot. Like, actively play it. And it sounds like most of you are taking a ride on the nostalgia train, and didn’t bother to take your rose-tinted glasses off.

The amount of skills in gw1 was huge. There were so many that Anet couldn’t keep up with balancing them. And because of that, certain skills were better than others, and meta builds existed. Sure, there was effectively limitless possibilities that existed with 300+ skills in each profession but when players are given a choice of what to use, they will use the most effective only. And if you wanted to succeed in GW1 past simply completing the story, whether solo or group, you were expected/bullied into using these few builds. Your class doesnt have a meta build that is used in this dungeon? cant come with.

The fact that missions existed in a linear manner in which you could not progress until you beat one really segregated the newbies from the vets. No one helped newbies, no matter how you remember it. Yes, you did have incentive to go back and do old missions for secondary objectives, but in order to complete them you sure didn’t want anybody who had no idea what they were doing messing everything up, so you brought guildies who are also looking for secondary objectives. and the newbies would sit around and fail at it over and over again (until they looked meta builds up on the internet).

When GW1 released, it wasn’t very good. At the end of its life, it was so catered to the hardcore playerbase that newbies had a hard time getting into it. The game segregated its players so much (through missions, HM, elite missions, instanced world, among others) that I often forget I am online, until guild chat gets lively.

All that being said, here is a list of things I really miss:
-easily acquired endgame armor. Cool looking armor needed time, but if you just wanted a specific armor set for a new build, in most cases it costed a very small amount of money.
-earning statues in your Hall of Monuments.
-More interesting storyline. The choices I can make in the gw2 one are nice, but ultimately it lead to a watered-down storyline where no foundation was build for further story, because every player made different choices but all ultimately led to the same result.
-While I was always strapped for gold, I never felt I NEEDED it to play. Large amounts of gold was really just for buying that extra cool skin or that really rare miniature or points towards titles that gave no benefit. GW2 pressures players into spending their money just to play at the same level as everyone else.
-Probably most of all, I really miss that the enemies in the game were extremely similar to the players. They had similar health pools and used the same skills as players, except for certain ones with monster skills. It portrayed a game based on skill, not gear or stats. Enemies didn’t have oneshot abilities or overpowered defensive cooldowns or ridiculous HP outside of a few exceptions (I am looking at YOU, Duncan the Black!).

Posted by: The Scarlet Raven.5416

The Scarlet Raven.5416

The one simple item that I miss is the ability to focus your camera on another player in your party when you’re dead.

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

Petless Rangers.
Barrage (Yeah the proper one).
Bigger parties.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

The fact that I could easily level to 20, get ‘perfect gear’ and could focus on getting my build and playstyle right. The fact that gear wasn’t ever an issue made that player skill mattered a lot, and I really liked that.

In Guild Wars 2, with each update I’m stuck crossing my fingers hoping they don’t add yet more junk to gather before I can start playing the game again.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Posted by: Magiofdeath.2745

Magiofdeath.2745

Miss from initial GW1 release (prophecies)
Guild halls
Guild capes
Free travel system
Henchmen – GW2 needs something like henchmen for group events that are NEVER done. With henchmen or something, a player could do the group events alone.
Build your own skill bar
Lack of Traeherne (Rurik, Togo and crap, even Kormir were way better than him) – Noone can compare to Jalis though, such an awesone NPC
Jalis and the Deldrimor dwarves
Crystal Desert (yeah, I’m weird but it was just kinda tranquil, ignoring the cluster-f that was some of the zones)
Griffon farming
Enemies dropping items
All of SF (SE sucks compared to SF)
Skill capping
Old style infusion, not this new infusion grind (250 karka shells/passion fruit and 100 t6 mats takes a lot longer than running Iron Mines 5x)
FoW and UW
Unlimited cap MMs and MMs in general – GW2 MMs seem a lot weaker, due to how terrible the AI and survivability of minions are in 2
Getting Obsidian armor meaning something (getting legendaries in GW2 really doesn’t mean much aside from how much you use a credit card for most people)

Miss from factions:
Cantha in general
FA (despite how tired I got of it)
JQ
ABs
Kurzick players vs Luxon players arguments (imagine if you could talk to your opponent in WvW)
Ritualists

Miss from Nightfall (not much here since NF was my least favorite):
Heros

Miss from GW:EN
Optional, fun, don’t have to repeat if you don’t want to dungeons
Jora & Livia (lol)
Ogden as a hero

From every campaign
Money being easy to acquire – even if I only played a few hours, I could do the Zaishen dailies and get ~5k. If I only did the dailies in GW2, I only get around 15 silver. Things also costed less in GW1 than they do in GW2.

Fort Aspenwood | Kurzick ftw!

(edited by Magiofdeath.2745)

Posted by: Magiofdeath.2745

Magiofdeath.2745

That’s actually all I really did in GW1 lol. I’d just go out, and have adventures trying to put together different types of builds. I’d take a studious approach as well with a notepad out trying to compare numbers, and work together different sorts of skills into my silly gaming nerd equation.

My heart would sink if I saw I had to do half of an entire expansion before I was able to get a skill, but you know what I did? I’d do that half of the expansion as fast as I could just to get enough sunspear points for my rank, or to get enough reputation with the Kurzicks / Luxons.

Accomplishing my silly (totally not as effective as everyone else’s) builds in the end was so incredibly rewarding. Those skills were like pieces of my BiS armor sets.

A good way to add that sort of adventuring in GW2 would be to introduce new weapons then go out, and do quests to unlock the skills. I’m sure people would probably be annoyed at this, but I think that’d be pretty fun!

I remember the old skill capping where you had to wait until enemy casted skill then use the cap sig. I ran Iron Mines during that over and over again until I got the Mursaat necro boss to spawn so I could get life transfer. Then I waited for it to cast life transfer and spammed the crap out of the cap sig. Good times.

Fort Aspenwood | Kurzick ftw!

Kill Momma.6127

oh how about the “Follow” Ability. I hate having to manually follow someone when we are going somewhere. Used to be able to go pee, come back and be where we wanted to be.

HOD [PHZE]

Posted by: Captain Jordan.6938

Captain Jordan.6938

i miss having fun

Posted by: Meret.5943

Meret.5943

I love GW1. Hell, I still play it a lot. Like, actively play it. And it sounds like most of you are taking a ride on the nostalgia train, and didn’t bother to take your rose-tinted glasses off.

Well, the original question was “What kinds of things do you miss from GW1?” so you’re going to pretty much hear what kinds of things people miss from GW1.

And if you wanted to succeed in GW1 past simply completing the story, whether solo or group, you were expected/bullied into using these few builds.

Admittedly it’s only anecdotal evidence, but I know of nobody who had that experience, except in high-level pvp. And part of high-level pvp was working within a team build, bringing what your team leader asks of you. If you wanted to use your special secret build, there was always RA. Which was tons of fun (and incidentally what I miss terribly from GW!).

No one helped newbies, no matter how you remember it.

Why all the generalizations? Perhaps you meant, no one helped you. We did a lot of guild recruiting out of pugging all the missions. When I went back and started a new toon in Elona recently, I pugged the missions there too, when I could.

Posted by: Exiled.6901

Exiled.6901

I wouldn’t even care about all the bugs and stereotypes this game has IF I COULD PLAY WITH MY FRIENDS. Seriously, separating Europe from NA servers was the most stupid idea Anet could come with. I was playing my last years of GW1 in a NA guild made a lot of friends there, has tons of great fun, then the GW2 came out and guess what… I totally could join the NA server they are on, for the cost of empty world during the daytime in Europe. Great idea Anet, great. /clap

Posted by: Misty Red Rose.9320

Misty Red Rose.9320

The one simple item that I miss is the ability to focus your camera on another player in your party when you’re dead.

Oh, I miss this one too. I also miss the ability to double-click and auto follow someone. I also wish they didn’t separate Europe from NA. It has caused problems in the guild as our European members (who came with us from GW 1) are finding it harder to find groups during their evening times.

It’s likely a lot of Cantha and Nightfall things are in the works and will come out as extensions or even separate games like they were in GW 1. They can’t put everything into the first release.

About those green weapon drops….Often I see a champion walking about and no one even bothers to kill him, because its just not worth the trouble. Why spend 5 or more minutes trying to down one when your drop is going to be crap. Now if that champion had their own unique weapon, and if there was even a slight chance you might get it, no champions would ever safe, and you would never see any walking around while groups of players run around then. Ever. Anet?

(edited by Misty Red Rose.9320)

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

Misty Red Rose
“Why spend 5 or more minutes trying to down one when your drop is going to be crap. Now if that champion had their own unique weapon, and if there was even a slight chance you might get it, no champions would ever safe, and you would never see any walking around while groups of players run around then. Ever. Anet?”

Yup pretty much this, did 3 bosses in Orr last night, nothing of any use or worth dropped from anywhere and the chests were just rubbish. Nothing at all worth over 1 silver, and nothing of any use to my class.

It’s just a waste of time, and it took 2 or 3 hours to do, I don’t know what the problem is with giving us decent rewards for putting in some effort, I’m not saying it wasn’t fun, it was, but what a disappointment to get nothing.

Players will just quit, and once they’re gone it will be difficult for Anet to get them back.

The games been a struggle all the way through to get anything half decent, there are weapons and armour I would like, but it’s an insane mindless grind to get them, and there’s no other way to get them but to grind for 100’s of hours, the same thing over and over.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

(edited by Solid Gold.9310)

Posted by: Gab Superstar.4059

Gab Superstar.4059

Getting more range from being on high ground.

This x10. GW1 had a much more deep combat system when you really think about it…

Very Good Detectives [VGD]
Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

Posted by: I Fuzion I.2546

I Fuzion I.2546

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

no… thats not me laughing… thats me chanting for hereos ascent…. i have no incentive or motivation to play pvp of any sort…

WVWVWV is too random for me… run around with a zerg and you will be ok – u dont even have to press buttons.

the PVP lacks, Loot chest would be a god send.. and mean teams would want to form, and stay toghether for a 5+ run not play 1-2 games and the quit as there mate wanted to go farm a boss. leaving you to pick up a useless randomer, that is playing a test build.. costing you a loss..

Granted PVP is about fun.. But anyone who plays PVP has a COMPETATIVE side to them..
having nothing to compete for.. defeats the object..