What kinds of things do you miss from GW 1?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: bantapoo.1093

bantapoo.1093

1) very well written story, well integrated in pve and reflecting your progress
It is really a shame of what story and its integration had became in gw2.
2) vast number of skills, orginal and fun way to acquire them
too standard approach of acquiring skills, and too few to offer complexity.
3) more flexible UI, especially regarding skills
too strict UI regarding skills in gw2.
4) original classes and more complex skill management (=good!)
poor number of viable builds in gw2, with weak skill management possibilities.
5) no gear grinding for stats at level cap, and no stupid stats
ascended, magic find etc.
6) fun, open, and truly competitive pvp
zerg stomping www, pay 2 play tournaments.

to me, gw2 missed the mark. it tries too many things without a global coherence nor relations between each of its elements. some of its elements are poor and lacking depth, while others offer just a grinding experience.
while technologically inferior, gw1 is way more coherent and immerse you more in its lore. it is simply fun.

(edited by bantapoo.1093)

Posted by: justkoh.4073

justkoh.4073

I miss the class combinations in GW1 (i.e. I can be a Necro/Ele etc).

I miss the HUGE number of skills available in GW1. Too little here IMO and they’re somewhat restrictive (i.e. skill 6 must be a healing skill, skill 0 must be the elite and the weapon skills are like a set meal).

I miss having henchmen/heroes following me into missions so that I almost never have to LFG. Only the Luxon/Kurzick ones and the last few in Nightfall, if memory serves me.

Aside from that, I think GW2 is an awesome game and I am loving it.

Posted by: Atamaz.4195

Atamaz.4195

- Guild Halls + GvG, it feels a lot less GUILD WARS without GvG.
- Guild capes, why should I give up on my chest skin for my guild logo when there’s the cape for that? I’d prefer change the skin of my backpack that I always hide than change the chest.
- Elite Hunting, but only for elite skill worth it, i mean, except for the mesmer I can’t really call the other skill elite, maybe “subparskillwitheternalcooldown”.
- Boss drop, I mean specific drop, not random exotic piece if you have stellar magic find.
- Interrupting.
- Old mesmer, the new one is cute but is not THE mesmer.
- Confusion is not Empathy-Backfire-Spiteful Spirit(and why necro have not confusion?).
- Old necro, many things of the old has were just better skill: SS, Mark of Pain, a viable minion master or minion bomber, Order of Vampire/pain expecially when you could use both, well are ok.
- Old assassin were fine without stealth, and was more then smash a single button until your finger bleed more than your target
- Ranger without pet…well they now have a…“nonthatcombatpet”, old barrage, trapper team.
- Secondary profession for fexibility…but I can live without.
- Free change of trait and save template, and possibility to change build anytime out of combat.
- UI customization.
- Level cap at 20, I think that a low level cap would have make questing through zone feel more like discovery and fun instead of rush to 80 and forgot about the world.
- Earn money running people through dungeon.
- Not really ANet fault but in GW1 things cost less and money were easyer to make.
- Huge elite zone like FoW and UW.
- Heroes Ascent
- Better pvp aside from massive and chaotic WvW

This is just for prophecies, in my head cantha and elona are GW2 expansion as it were for GW1, still waiting for the missing region like Crystal Desert, Maguuma Jungle and Fire Islands.

- Ritualist: but playing as an engineer i think that as the game is now it whould be just terrible for the same reason engi don’t use turret, they just die immediatly. I hope engineer is not a replacement for the ritualist in a modern world.

(edited by Atamaz.4195)

Posted by: Booler.6598

Booler.6598

Abilities that changed a fight. A 55monk set up right to tank a boss that could otherwise 1 shot you. It’s clever use of abilities. All we have here is different ways of dealing damage. Tell me do you actually take any note or even notice what skills ppl use in dungeons? I don’t cause none of them matter as long as you zerg or just damage bosses forever you’ll pass it. Not like one person dropping SF at fendi ! You’ll quikly notice that

Always in all ways

(edited by Booler.6598)

Posted by: Zonzai.2341

Zonzai.2341

Capping skills
Having lots of skills
A single lengthy overarching story
Secondary professions

(edited by Zonzai.2341)

Posted by: Torvic.8256

Torvic.8256

Humans.

And only humans as an option to play.

Actually, GW2 got this aspect totally right, thankfully introducing other playable races as well as humans.

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

Everything except for:

1) The lack of playerbase
2) not be able to jump/dodge
3) not be able to play asurans
4) not meet players in missions.
5) no wvw
6) no random events/personal story

Note these are the things i think gw2 got right else i miss all features in gw1.

Posted by: Four Jacks Twice.2537

Four Jacks Twice.2537

I miss the skill system, and secondary professions in particular. And armour sets which I actually like the look of (seriously, there isn’t a single high-end set I covet in GW2).
And I miss Trahearne not existing. He is seriously impairing my motivation to replay the main storyline.

Posted by: Lucky.3298

Lucky.3298

ALL

lot of content (I guess guys listed all above), large content, free teleports, factions and, ROFL, guild was (by the way any clue why this games calls guild wars 2?), solo dungeons, God Favor, understandable map, sexy armor skins, monk 55, dungeon runs and runners,
community!
Random Arenas, factions map fights etc.
Guild Hall with all fun we could bring there.
Cinematic, great lore and logical events,
Choice of skills,
Missions!

Well sorry to tell but I got like slight shadow of glorious games I was so happy to play….

Posted by: Weindrasi.3805

Weindrasi.3805

-I MISS THE KURZICKS. -Sigh- I loved those guys. Picked the goth face, guardian profession, and pale skin for my human female in honor of the kurzicks. Maybe when Cantha opens up, she’ll be able to reunite with the remnants of her long-lost ancestors.

-I miss Echovald Forest. Is it any wonder why my Kurzick human runs around Caledon Forest all the time? Nope.

-I miss killing Luxons :P The Nightmare Court will have to do, I suppose.

-I miss more mature storylines. The personal story in GW1 was better… even though it was the same for every character.

-I miss charr armor that consisted of only a loincloth. I want to see my charr’s fur pattern and muscles!

-I miss Jade Quarry. So repetetive, so boring, so addictive XD

Posted by: crystal.5930

crystal.5930

• Skill capping – Getting those titles was some of the most fun I’ve ever had in a game.
  • Skills – Maybe we don’t need as many as we had in GW1, but I’m really hoping we’ll see more added for current weapons, and also see new weapons added with new skills.
  • Titles
  • The Crystal Desert and the Desolation – But I’m hoping/expecting to see them again someday.
  • Readily accessible storage – Remember how you could pull stuff out of storage in any outpost? And you could even keep your storage window up while you ran around to the various vendors?
  • Weekend Features
  • Zaishen quests – I know they were added late, but I think something like that would be a great way to get people back into zones. Something like “all events in X zone today award double karma/XP/coin” (full disclosure: pretty sure I picked up that idea from somebody else on these forums)
  • Costumes
  • The old chest/key system
  • Missions/Instances – I hope to see more instanced content added that falls somewhere between the “needs five” dungeon and the “written to be solo’d” personal story mission (not that you can’t take more than 1 into your PS missions, but the story doesn’t lend itself to it). And have them be repeatable.
  • Loot
Chosovi Rose, Thomas Thorn, Crystalbrier, Bracken Farstone, Crassul, on Tarnished Coast
“Worshipping nonsense and imagination” — Hayden Herrera (paraphrased)

Posted by: Fatfox.4915

Fatfox.4915

I just miss combining professions. I loved nothing more than raining fiery death upon a foe whilst my pooch ripped them to shreds or looking all tanky and then busting out some mind bending mesmer. Don’t think it would work in GW2 but I miss it.
The variety of areas to.
I miss the simplicity of the armour upgrades. Get to level 20, but some armour, job done, off you go adventuring, same stats as everyone else.
Oh, and the fact that people didn’t really diss professions because no-one was really an expert in all of the combinations. Unlike now, where I see ‘no Engis’ and part of me dies inside…

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

The PvP. It had options that were attractive to people who wanted pick up games and those who wanted a very organized approach.

PvP options, GvG, and Guild halls are the three most maddening things that are missing from GW2 for me. I know and appreciate that this game is not GW1. However, these things could have EASILY been adapted to GW2.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Hawkmoon.5849

Hawkmoon.5849

Of all the things that were lost in transition from GW1 to GW2, I miss the Dev’s minds the most :p

Guild halls
HA and GvG
Meaningful skill choices
Dervishes
Useful pets (both ranger and necro), or the option to run without and be just as powerful
Loot drops???
A decent story?
A useful quest system
A useful attribute system
Skills? Elites?

I could go on for hours. I give up.

Hope is the carrot dangled before the draft horse that plods along in the vain attempt to reach it

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

I think a big part of what made the skill capping and skills in general so cool, was the broad amount synergy acquiring a new skill opened up.
Getting a new skill meant seeing how it complimented every skill you’d already acquired. From that, finding successful pairings between old skills and the new one often meant being able to function better in a role or as a counter to a role.

(edited by Redfeather.6401)

Posted by: Jaxon.5392

Jaxon.5392

I miss hamstorm

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

What do I miss from Guild Wars 1? The actual Guild Wars series, that’s what. It’s a shame that game will never get a sequel.

Still, this GW2, aka World of Tyria, is alright in it’s own right.

Posted by: CoRtex.2157

CoRtex.2157

Gimmééé skillsss,, i want to change my 10 skills i’ve been using for the last 6months

Posted by: Angelus.1042

Angelus.1042

Gimmééé skillsss,, i want to change my 10 skills i’ve been using for the last 6months

This^

More skills…like a ton more like GW1 had..

Also duel professions..

Warrior/Necro was kinda cool at time

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I miss…

- plethora of skills!!!!
- worthwhile elites
- secondary professions
- unending build options
- complex group PvE
- vibrant community with active players everywhere
- FOW, UW, Tombs
- ranged rangers
- dervish
- necro scar armor
- fun necro
- loot

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

(edited by Seras.5702)

Posted by: Zonzai.2341

Zonzai.2341

I see everybody saying the same thing…

Skill caps
Having many skills
A second profession
The great GW1 story missions

It was such a great system and GW2 has none of these things. Sometimes I wonder if the devs ever really understood what people liked about GW1. And why didn’t they know that these things were so great? I know there were frequent posts/threads about how good all of these things were. What happened ANet?

Don’t get me wrong, WvW, explorables, new races, jumping, swimming, these things are great too. But sometimes I really miss just being able to create/discover a meaningful build beyond min/maxing.

If you gave me the character progression (even if it were just 80 skills per profession and the weapons stayed the same, but with two professions) and the storyline from GW1 and then took everything else from GW2, I would say that GW2 is the best game ever made.

But I do know some of their previously given answers for things…

Skill Caps – Doesn’t work with weapons, there are only a few elites, doesn’t work for traits, doesn’t work for PvP
Fewer Skills – Easier to balance a few more useful skills (LOL, still not working out!)
Second Professions – Not needed since every class can fill every role

Now, while I understand their reasons from a design standpoint – as I do with the writing in the personal stories – I think they missed so many great opportunities to impress. I’m just posting their stated reasons.

Skill caps were so much fun, creating meaningful builds were so much fun, profession combos were so much fun, the story missions were so much fun. GW2 is a lot of fun too, it just isn’t as much fun as GW1 was in terms of story or character development. I think it will be interesting to go back to GW1 after I get bored with GW2.

I really hope that ANet goes back reexamines the second profession question. It would be best way for them to add so many more builds and such great depth back into the game again. Because let’s face it, even though GW2 character development is much deeper than a traditional MMO, it has merely a fraction of the depth of GW1 character development. And that is ultimately what I think all these missing things really represent.

Posted by: Girlsgonewow.1032

Girlsgonewow.1032

Second professions.

“Come, my friends.
’Tis is not too late to seek a newer world.”
-“Ulysses”, by Alred, Lord Tennyson

Posted by: Ed of Death.4819

Ed of Death.4819

First, the game just launched and I expect things will change for the better. GW1 changed a lot over the years.

What I miss:
Guild Halls.
Elite skill Capturing.
More Skills. And 1-5 being choose able.
Boss weapon skins.
Builds.
Henchmen.
Dervish.
Armor and Weapon stats being fixed at max level.

My biggest fear is we will never see Cantha or Elona due to fighting dragons for the next few years. There are 4 dragons left. And another hinted at. If we get one x-pac a year, when will we ever leave the Main continent? Palawa Joko needs a butt woopin!

(edited by Ed of Death.4819)

Posted by: Leablo.2651

Leablo.2651

I love GW1. Hell, I still play it a lot. Like, actively play it. And it sounds like most of you are taking a ride on the nostalgia train, and didn’t bother to take your rose-tinted glasses off.

FYI I still play GW1 as well, and if anyone has difficulty remembering things correctly I think it’s you.

The amount of skills in gw1 was huge. There were so many that Anet couldn’t keep up with balancing them. And because of that, certain skills were better than others, and meta builds existed.

Yeah Anet couldn’t keep up, as that’s pretty much impossible. It does not mean, however, that they didn’t try (all the way up to GW2 launch), and kept the game varied and changing even as a result of imperfect fixes. No matter what they rebalance in GW2, you’re going to have the same 5 skills per weapon setup serving as the core of any build. There isn’t even the possibility to vary them.

I’m not sure you’re using “meta” the right way either. Meta, as I understand it, is the expression for the non-stop process of making builds to counter the builds you are currently up against. It represents the game’s dynamics and constantly changing nature even when the actual mechanics are static. You’re talking about using specific builds for speed clearing and such. I don’t think that’s normally what one calls meta. Meta is also largely missing from GW2 because of the new skillbars.

And if you wanted to succeed in GW1 past simply completing the story, whether solo or group, you were expected/bullied into using these few builds. Your class doesnt have a meta build that is used in this dungeon? cant come with.

True for speed-clearing groups, because SC by definition requires specific skills to do things fast. Absolutely untrue for soloing. You can play whatever build you like as long as it’s not terrible and you’re not terrible at playing it.

the newbies would sit around and fail at it over and over again (until they looked meta builds up on the internet).

No, all a newbie has to do is go to a forum and ask, or read the wiki’s mission article to get an explanation of what will happen, and then go solo it with any non-terrible build they like. They can even look it up before they start and get full bonus on their first try (as I did for many missions). I played the entire game, all campaigns, solo from start to finish. I have never grouped for PvE and personally enjoyed the challenge. I might also mention that I have played through the game with all 10 professions, and not wanting to spend too much money on training alts, I completed the campaigns using only the free starter + EotN skills, on all except my 3 mains (one from each campaign). You do not “need” specific builds to complete any mission, you don’t even need to buy any skills if you really don’t want to.

When GW1 released, it wasn’t very good. At the end of its life, it was so catered to the hardcore playerbase that newbies had a hard time getting into it. The game segregated its players so much (through missions, HM, elite missions, instanced world, among others) that I often forget I am online, until guild chat gets lively.

Prophecies was probably the single hardest campaign overall. Factions arguably had the hardest missions. It was Nightfall that introduced heroes, revamped the way item mods worked (making it easier to get the right stats) and made the entire game a whole lot easier, including a relatively easy campaign itself. As time went on, things were generally made easier (e.g. survivor & LDoA titles, improvements to trade UI, 7 hero parties, the list goes on), in general making things easier to obtain and complete. There is no way I would imagine a newbie having an easier time with Prophecies and Factions than one who started with Nightfall and have no idea how you came to that conclusion.

Posted by: Vax Tezhme.7128

Vax Tezhme.7128

I enjoy GW2 a lot. But I do miss certain things:

• Heroes
  • Missions that felt like elaborate strategy puzzles to complete, yet didn’t require 5 players (my wife and I played most of GW1 together, just the two of us)
  • Nicholas and Yakkington
  • Auto-follow
  • Elona
  • Sunspears – one of my favorite game organizations ever. The Vigil/Priory/Order of Whispers don’t compare
  • Unique green drops from bosses (stats were un-important to me – was just fun to get them)
  • Dervishes (just the idea of spinning warriors with scythes were cool)
  • Free map travel

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

This one is already in the game. Only available to GW1 players with 23 Hall of Monuments reward points.

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

This one is already in the game. Only available to GW1 players with 23 Hall of Monuments reward points.

And is also 2H.

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

And is also 2H.

Because it’s a greatsword, not a 1H sword. GW1 didn’t distinguish between sword types, so they were all 1H. Even when it looked positively ridiculous to wield with 1 hand.

And it’s rather unlikely they’ll take an HoM-exclusive skin and put it into the game as a skin that anyone can get, anyways.

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Warrior class actually had cool skills to use…

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Skill Caps – Doesn’t work with weapons, there are only a few elites, doesn’t work for traits, doesn’t work for PvP

http://www.arena.net/blog/eric-and-ben-answer-your-questions-about-warrior-and-traits

Traits
Q: Can I get all the traits for my chosen profession but only select the traits I want for an upcoming adventure, or are my trait selection options limited?
Ben: If you have earned a trait, you’ll have it available to slot outside of combat. The more trait challenges you complete, the more options become available to you.
Q: How do I acquire traits? Are there some traits that can only be “unlocked” after acquiring other traits first? Will trait acquisition be solo or will there be incentives for players to group together to help each other obtain more traits?
Ben: Traits are acquired through challenges that are specific to each profession. We don’t have traits that require other traits first. Traits are a way for you to develop your character, so it’s important that you be able to acquire them solo. With that being said, earning them certainly doesn’t have to be a solo activity and players are free to help each other as they see fit.
Q: Do traits in Guild Wars 2 replace attributes in Guild Wars?
Ben: Traits partially replace attributes in that they allow a player to customize their character beyond the choices they make with their skill bar. However, we do have a set of attributes that more directly replace those that we had in Guild Wars. Instead of being heavily profession oriented, these attributes are more general, much like those you’d find in other RPGs.
Q: Can a trait be improved once achieved?
Eric: Nope, players can’t enhance traits.

So, at some time, they DID have something similar to skill capping (trait capping?) planned for the game.

Posted by: Skugga.5298

Skugga.5298

-Skills
-Guild Halls
-Saving Templates
-Z Keys
-Random PvP (4vs4, fighting instead of running to capture a base)
-The Underworld (UW)
-Skill tomes
-Farming (in GW2 everything runs back too quickly, you can’t collect big groups)

Posted by: Ickorus.4518

Ickorus.4518

- Petless Rangers – I wouldn’t mind so much if my damage wasn’t spread between me and my pet so when it inevitably dies three seconds into a boss fight I’m dealing sub-par damage and become a detriment to my team; give us the option to make the pet a utility (and get our damage back to the player) rather than necessary in combat.
- Skills from bosses/mobs.
- Failable missions. (Rather these than the current implementation of personal story)
- GvG (I never took part in any but the concept is great).
- Faction reputations and other such things – Yes, they were grind content but they provided a sense of progression without being a necessity.
- Personalized boss loot – Don’t like the way my choice for loot really comes down to three options: Hope the RNG gods are kind and drop something for you, Buy it off the AH or grind materials and craft it.

Guild: Afterlife [AFTL] (Piken Square)

(edited by Ickorus.4518)

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Playing with friends.

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

- having a skill system with real depth, GW2’s skill system and WOW-style talent tree is crap.
- not having downed state
- not having a gear treadmill
- elite skill capturing. WHY OH WHY did they remove this in GW2?
- elites skills that were actually good.
- having a resource mechanic (energy) and the whole energy management/denial metagame

downed state is bad for PVP

(edited by scerevisiae.1972)

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

I love GW2, but there are 3 things I really really miss from GW1.

1) Customization.
We had the chance to put 3 different mods to weapons (now 1, the sigil), insignas on armors, large skill pool (GW2 traits/weps/skills are very limited in variety), “customizing” weapons for damage and class combos (it can be done without unbalancing if implemented correctly).

2) Difficulty.
In GW1 the end-zones were almost impossible to solo and much more rewarding.
In GW2 everything non-instanced is easily soloable and unrewarding which makes people abandon PvE zones and crowd dungeons.

3) Boss hunting to get uniques.
Little to no uniques in GW2, bosses are missing the unique feeling that makes you want to kill them for their trademark weapon.
Everything is available through AH or Karma merchs – what isn’t needs a ton of materials (time/money) rather than dedication to farming a boss.

I still got 1200 hours in, but without the above I feel like playing less than I used to play GW1 after 1200 hours.

Posted by: Animi.4617

Animi.4617

I would lova a PvP like the random arena in GW1. You only have 1 goal: to kill the enemy team. You also won’t know who will be on your side before the fight so you need to set your build right. I remember when in the enemy team there were 3 monk and in our team there wasn’t any mesmer to deal with them. Was a log long fight

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

Mesmers.
Costume system.

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

And is also 2H.

Because it’s a greatsword, not a 1H sword. GW1 didn’t distinguish between sword types, so they were all 1H. Even when it looked positively ridiculous to wield with 1 hand.

And it’s rather unlikely they’ll take an HoM-exclusive skin and put it into the game as a skin that anyone can get, anyways.

GW2 has 1H swords that are ridiculously large, to the point that sheathing the sword makes the tip of the sword disappear underground.

GW1 did have 2H weapons, just not swords. I feel GW2 is too much GS. At least half the classes can wield em and it’s a bit ridiculous.

Back on topic:

I am not saying that GW2 needs to do the same things as GW1 but it needs to achieve the same feeling and depth that GW1 has in the combat system, traits and skill bar. Creating a build in GW2 was fun and required some thought. Changing one or two skills made a huge difference. Here it hardly is noticeable for most purposes.

The second part I miss in GW2 is the general atmosphere. GW1 felt like your home when logged in and I still feel that pull to log in and just be there. GW2 has better artwork as such but doesn’t have that same atmosphere that pulls you in. The storylines and voice acting certainly don’t help.

What I find funny is that Anet said that they couldn’t continue with expansions in GW1 because the world was getting too big and people too spread out. So in GW2 they limited the continents but they made Tyria so big that the world really is too big from the start. Solution: stick everyone in FotM. No, that doesn’t work for me.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

Build Swapping (traits) and multiple weapon sets (I used 4 in GW1). I don’t mind paying a small fee to build swap instead of having to manually retrait for said small fee, either.

Re: the world being too big : tarnished coast has folks in several major cities and in many ones, so it usually feels pretty busy. 3

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

I don’t miss the skill system in GW, too many gimmick builds. Not that it was a bad system, I just prefer GW2’s system much more. It’s more balanced and still has a lot of options available to you. Though GW2’s system needs tweaks it is far better imo.

Anyway, things I miss from GW1 are:

Thief being called Assassin (I love the thief profession mechanically, but would rather it was called Assassin, or had a more combat oriented aesthetic. I want to be a ninja not a cat burger. Assassins are way cooler then any other shadowy characters imo and are more likely to be useful in a war against the dragons than someone who’s main field of expertise is stealing possessions off of others).
Max stat gear was relatively quick and easy to get, and could be aquired by the time you reached max level.
More non-coat or non-skirt armour skins to choose from (I found a look I liked for all my characters in GW1, I have not had the same fortune in GW2 unfortunately).

There are more little bits and pieces I miss, but the above are what I have noticed the most. I’d like to add though, that this does not mean I dislike GW2. Quite the opposite, I love GW2 and like many of the improvements. But there are some things I’d like to see return.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Yeah I miss the secondary profession.

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

Posted by: ReaperMadness.6710

ReaperMadness.6710

Having many skills (the GW2 skill list is just a shell compared to GW1)
Dual professions (Necro / Mez – LOVED IT!)
Free Map Travel (not that I’m cheap or anything, but nobody likes to be nickle & dimed)

I hate all the elite skills (for Necro), I really wish they would use #10 as a normal OR elite skill slot which would allow you to put ANY skill in there you chose. You could then use this skill slot for your one elite skill if you chose to do so.

I feel so cookie-cutter… It’s always better to be free to do as you like, but Anet has removed so many options that gave the characters their uniqueness.

Posted by: lorazcyk.8927

lorazcyk.8927

Protection monks
Domination mesmers
Being able to repeat story missions
My sexy ritualist (and all the sexy builds I made for him!)
Interesting armors (mostly played light classes and some medium)
Challenging combat
Teamwork
Coordinating skills with friends, making goofy team builds for AB on the spur of the moment
Refundable attribute points so I don’t have to go to the trainer every time I want to try a new build. I like playing more than 5 builds per character everyday, maybe even more, but in gw2 I’m stuck with 1 build
My red crab pet
HA and GvG

(edited by lorazcyk.8927)

Posted by: piitb.7635

piitb.7635

I’d just want to point out that technically GW2 has more skills than any one particular GW1 standalone. Sure when you add up all 3 standalones and EotN, GW1 has more skills, but that is 4 years worth of updates and such.

What made GW1 seem like it had more skills is the ability to mix and match.

Posted by: Razor.9132

Razor.9132

I miss having one gear tier through my 6-year GW career.

Posted by: mattbnh.9247

mattbnh.9247

Don’t forget Henchmen/Heros so you can do a dungeon solo without having to worry about others.

For me, I miss Heroes and Hench the most for the opposite reason!

I want to learn to do dungeons, but I hate being a drag on an experienced group, and being the weakest link because I don’t know my way around or know what the deathtraps are.

I don’t want to feel humiliated for trying to learn something new. That is not my motivation for playing the game.

At least with jumping puzzles I mostly can fail, then succeed, without screwing someone else along the way.

I would like to be able to go into a dungeon with a bunch of NPCs and explore and learn without messing up someone else’s run. I don’t care if it is for reduced rewards, or even no reward except for creature drops.

I also think more people would do dungeons if you could enter with 2 or 3 and have the slots filled with npcs, even if they are mostly Trahearne-like or pincushions.

I would settle for a “teaching stupid people” dungeon group, but I haven’t seen one advertised.

“That’s more than I really needed to know.” – Adventurer in LA

Posted by: Gord.8654

Gord.8654

A better map system so you know what you have explored.

What map were you looking at in GW1? I never would have gotten Grandmaster Cartographer without Texmod!!!

Anyway… I agree with many of the things posted here except free map travel and more skills. Most of the skills in GW1 were the same skill with different names and icons. And as someone else said everyone ran the same flavor of the month builds anyway!

One thing I don’t miss is standing in town for hours waiting for the right class to finally come in or getting kicked from a group because I want to play my build. I also hope speed clears stay 250 years in the past! They ruined DoA, UW, and FoW!!! (IMO) You shouldn’t be able to clear 9 quests and kill a former God in 10 minutes or less…

Host of SOTD Podcast www.sotdpodcastblog.wordpress.com

Posted by: crystal.5930

crystal.5930

Can’t believe I forgot to mention templates in my first post! I long to be able to save my traits then easily swap them. I don’t even care if the game keeps charging me a few silver to do it, or if they put a short cooldown or a ‘no swapping in combat’ restriction.

Chosovi Rose, Thomas Thorn, Crystalbrier, Bracken Farstone, Crassul, on Tarnished Coast
“Worshipping nonsense and imagination” — Hayden Herrera (paraphrased)

Posted by: Overhill.3947

Overhill.3947

I miss the satisfaction of working my way through or clearing an area, employing some stategy; taking time to level up; stopping to enjoy the scenery without having to play whack-a-mole; pulling a boss without backing up into a respawn.
Still a great game, though I’m not sure that it has the staying power of GW1. The replayability factor seems to be lacking.