What made you buy gw2?

What made you buy gw2?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: jokke.6239

jokke.6239

So, since we might get an expansion soon, arena net probably wouldn’t mind some tips for their advertisement.

I remember surfing some RIFT videos on youtube, and fell over a recommended video of the anet developers presenting Tequatl the Sunless. I was absolutely baffled that the boss I was looking at was actually from an mmorpg :P Then one of the devs said “This is one of our little dragons ..”
And then I put on my shoes and jacket and went to gamestop and bought the game ^^
.. So, if you have some epic new boss battles in the upcoming pax presentation, don’t hold back

What made you empty your wallets and insta buy Guild Wars 2 :P?
(maybe mostly directed to people who didn’t play GW1, unless your answer is different than “GW1 made me buy it” ^^)

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Heard it had fun, challenging jumping puzzles and dungeons. It delivered, just wish they had continued on with it more

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

I played Guild wars 1

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: jokke.6239

jokke.6239

It’s B2P. I love MMOs but I live in a poor country and I can’t afford monthly fees.

Yeah, and I didn’t even know that before after I had bought it, was such a nice surprise ^^

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: rabidsmiles.5926

rabidsmiles.5926

I run a Mac. So my choices for a heavily populated MMO were either this or WoW and I hate WoW. This game is so much prettier! I am a sucker for pretty games

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Long time Guild Wars 1 player, who didn’t like other MMOs…not that much anyway. Guild Wars 2 was just the natural choice.

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

My brother talked me into taking one of his Beta Weekend Event keys for the last one before they launched.

And it was B2P. I wouldn’t have taken one of his keys if it had been a sub game. Like Mea, I can’t afford monthly fees. Especially for a game I didn’t know I would get long term enjoyment out of. 3 days isn’t enough to determine long term fun.

Managed to get in Shadow Behemoth on a level 10 warrior during the event and got credit for it.

I had fun.

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: Fauven.3195

Fauven.3195

I always wanted to play WoW when I was younger but the monthly fees always kept me back. Once i heard a game that was the same caliber but no fees I was sold for it :p
First pc game ever and after 2 years I still don’t regret it WoW seems so complicated as an outsider :o

Ranger & mesmer 80
Piken Square [Gwen]

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

- Company based in the western market = good communication and understanding of western-market players.

- World versus World/Large battlefields with none of that open-world PK garbage seen in a lot of Eastern MMO’s (inspires drama, creates grieving environments, promotes aggressive/tense play, etc.)

- Relatively painless leveling process (as of release; trait rework/NPE level gating made this bad).

-B2P just once so I can get up and take a hiatus whenever.

- Action/skill-based gameplay success over T1 loot/guild loot/min-max success.

- Removal of RNG elements from endgame gear (dungeon tokens; pre-ascended) and a fast gearing process.

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

gw1
/15chars/….
not what you want to hear but still a valid reason.

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

This and SWTOR were pretty much the two most hyped MMORPGs since WoW. The hype train was too stronk.

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

B2P and Angry Joe. I normally don’t play MMOs because they are sooo boring to me with how generic so many of them seem to be but after his review I tried gw2 and was super happy! 2 years of playing and counting!

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: JoshuaRAWR.4653

JoshuaRAWR.4653

Was following it for a long time and got into the beta, sealed the deal.

Warrior 80 | Guardian 80 | Ranger 80 | Engineer 80 |
Thief 80 | Elementalist 80 | Mesmer 80 | Necromancer 80 | Revenant TBA

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: SyllyReth.2495

SyllyReth.2495

I played GW1 and so I preordered to play through the beta to see if I’d like it. It was my beta Sylvari that made me follow through with the preorder and keep the game.

Unbridled Dynasty [UND]

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: Ykfox.3825

Ykfox.3825

I’ve played GW1 since back when it was just prophecies and getting to Amnoon Oasis before level 20 was considered an achievement/rare. I had thousands of hours logged in GW1, so I naturally came to Guild Wars 2.

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

GW player since 4/2005. Tried other MMORPG’s and found Tyria to be best “Fantasy” world for me. Loved how A-Net listened to it’s playerbase even without official forums(shout to Gaile and her crew for that). Also loved how A-Net was an “upstart” company and were willing to go the extra mile to make a great game for the “casual crowd” and also give “hard-core” some love.

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: slamfunction.7462

slamfunction.7462

I played a little bit of GW1, but i was too addicted to WoW to really get really all that far into it. I had read an article a long, long time ago when they were in progress of making GW2, so i knew it was in development.

So then they came out with the artwork, the class ability videos, and that Shatterer fight and i was keenly interested in the game, but it wasn’t out yet.

When it had come out, i decided to wait. I was already a WoW vet and had seen many MMOs prior, fall to obscurity because of some very bad choices. I eventually got the game in Jan 2013, played it for a few weeks and struggle with just getting to level 20, because i had no clue how hard it was to just pick up and play. I was too used to WoW’s ease of leveling to make heads or tails of it, so i went back to WoW.

After a bit, WoW began to become too “systematic” for me and the cartoony art style was beginning to annoy me, so i came back to GW2 at the end of Nov 2013, i found an awesome guild, and even though i’ve take a month break when ANet had the gemgate fiasco and the issue with the Halloween skin gambling, i’ve played every day since.

I love the game and almost everything about it. I do not like how ANet manages it, but this game has made me realize how important it is to be humble, and find my own fun within it’s boundaries, which i do every day.

Arena Nets are used to catch Gladiator Fish.

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Loved GW1, was psyched to hear GW2 was coming out, be it a bit different, I still hoped that it had the same “good old fun” (w/e that means) as GW1…

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

(edited by Zero Day.2594)

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: IIvIIozzie.9250

IIvIIozzie.9250

Guild Wars

15 chars

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: WereDragon.6083

WereDragon.6083

No monthly fee
Very good combat system
Awesome universe and atmosphere
Refused to play MoP
Wanted a good PVP system
WvWvW

What do we say to the god of death? Not Today….
Eleshod|80 Thief|Tarnished Coast
Malsavias|80 Necromancer| Tarnished Coast

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

a good friend I’ve played multiple MMO’s with recommended it and it was on sale at the time, so I thought why the hell not as I had absolutely adored GW1 for several years. Definitely a worthy investment both in money and time.

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I am one of those GW1 players who were so impressed with the original series that GW2 was a must buy.

But, even had I not been such the business model and visuals would likely have brought me in.

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

A friend begged me to get it and play it with her…so i did. Very fun, love the lore and the world itself, just sorta wish that I could experience dungeons and the dragon world bosses as they were designed. >_<

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: Ceta.6057

Ceta.6057

Playing GW1 encouraged me to buy GW2.

Now I more often play FFXIV, because it gives me the entertainment I was lead to believe I would experience in the sequal to GW1.

imo, A-net dropped the ball with GW2 after the Karka island event.

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

A WoW guildie who played GW1 tried so hard to get us all to join him there. Nothing I saw of it made me psyched to play (the extremely low rez videos may have been a bit off putting). But when GW2 was announced, he renewed his lobbying. I watched some profession ability videos, checked out the gameplay videos from the alpha demos at cons, saw the Manifesto, and grew hooked. I love cooperative play! Plus the artwork was amazing, and the lack of daily grind appealed very strongly while I was working on rep for my flaming hippogryph mount.

I joined the 2RP website, started RPing in the Queasy Quaggan chat, then my WoW friend decided to remake his old Alliance WoW guild with the same name and a new direction. He and I designed our characters together (a year later the big plot reveal that they had the same father — as they discovered via a ‘broken token" — drew applause from the guild). We RP’d and recruited before beta, during beta, and got our stories going so when the game launched we were already established and knew the world.

TLDR: Word of mouth combined with amazing videos and an immersive world.

PS: I literally could not force myself to play WoW as of GW2’s launch. I’ve recently picked it up again with the Warlords expansion, but mostly just to hang out with my old WoW friends. The aesthetic and UI there grates on me.

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: Silalus.8760

Silalus.8760

I’ve played numerous MMO’s, and with one in particular (the one you’re thinking of) got in deep. Multi-hour all-guild raids several nights a week, dailies every day, obsessive gear and build simulation… I even learned their API and wrote my own add-ons to complement my strengths and weaknesses as a player… You get the idea. The usual. Power overwhelming.

Then I quit, for all the right reasons.

Thing is, a while later I started craving the experience again. Not so much the raiding and gear gathering as the immersion, the experience. GW2 appealed to the needs of a refugee like me- casual friendly but with enough depth to suck me in.

What ultimately sold me were two things: getting named Game of the Year by practically everyone and a big, fat, delicious sale on the digital edition. I impulse bought it a day before the sale ended.

Best value I’ve ever gotten for my money in a game, without exception. It’s been even better than I’d hoped. And I’ve hardly ever played it all night long. Hardly.

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: Oldirtbeard.9834

Oldirtbeard.9834

Watching beta videos from Total Biscuit, and Angry Joes review.

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: Bandit.8279

Bandit.8279

- Enjoyed GW1
- Despise monthly fees
- Dislike traditional MMO mechanics
- Love pretty games that push my PC
- BETA weekends were too much fun

Fools N Gold [FNG] of Tarnished Coast

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: A Massive Headache.1879

A Massive Headache.1879

Guild Wars 1 fan.

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: mftheking.8273

mftheking.8273

My love for guild wars 1 and my need for a new mmo. Once i played Guild Wars 2 for the first time (launch) i have been finding it very difficult to play other mmos

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

Played GW1 a few days after Factions released until 2012. Picked-up GW2 in early 2013 hoping to have as much fun as I had in GW1.

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Because after initial purchase it’s F2P. After blowing $1200 in 8 years on a monthly subscription game, a F2P with a upfront fee to keep out the rift raft found in a true F2P game sounded good to me.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

WoW lost me around Cataclysm. Ignoring some of the major issues with the expansion the core gameplay wasn’t really doing it for me anymore. Tried some F2P MMOs but the experience was so-so. Heard about GW2, brought it a few days after release and I was pretty happy. It’s not a perfect game but is does enough right (and better than other MMOs) to make it one of the better MMOs on the market (if not the best, but that’s a personal view and obviously different strokes and all that since it offers a very different core set of engagements). Keeping an eye out for EQNext though, but for now GW2 is my MMO-crack of choice.

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

I liked GW1, but i never did play it much, and i first started playing it around 4 or 5 years after it’s release, so that’s pretty much why i wanted to play it’s sequel. Also, when i heard how their dynamic events system was going to work, i was pretty much sold on the game.

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: Jaymee.1560

Jaymee.1560

GW 1, of course…. I’d always imagine before GW 2 release, that I would walk into my Hall of Monuments, after Anet clearly stated it would be in GW 2, and find all my Tormented weapons old and… dusty and… yeah.

Instead, I walked in the HoM and… Ugh…

I use to be a Ritualist and a Paragon in my former life…

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

A friend of mine bought it and it was F2P. Best purchase ever.

EverythingOP

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: Rangelost.4857

Rangelost.4857

I played the original Guild Wars. I always liked the universe, but I was kind of bummed that I couldn’t play as a charr. I always thought they looked really cool, and Ascalonians were jerks anyway.

When I saw the trailer for Guild Wars 2, I was sold. The art style looked amazing, the gameplay revolutionary, and best of all, it was an actual MMORPG.

Then, I learned there were no monthly fees, and I’ve been here ever since. With a game that encourages you to play with other players and not against them, I haven’t looked back. Not that any game in the genre is going to match this one anytime soon.

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: Gudy.3607

Gudy.3607

- No monthly fees.
– Low-conflict game design: no harvesting node contention, no open-world PvP (read: ganking), almost no kill-stealing.
– No vertical gear grind.
– Dynamic events as an alternative to quest NPCs with icons above their heads.

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

So, since we might get an expansion soon, arena net probably wouldn’t mind some tips for their advertisement.

I remember surfing some RIFT videos on youtube, and fell over a recommended video of the anet developers presenting Tequatl the Sunless. I was absolutely baffled that the boss I was looking at was actually from an mmorpg :P Then one of the devs said “This is one of our little dragons ..”
And then I put on my shoes and jacket and went to gamestop and bought the game ^^
.. So, if you have some epic new boss battles in the upcoming pax presentation, don’t hold back

What made you empty your wallets and insta buy Guild Wars 2 :P?
(maybe mostly directed to people who didn’t play GW1, unless your answer is different than “GW1 made me buy it” ^^)

GW1

Are you Shpongled?

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

Beta tested with an old guild (coming from other games such as Neverwinter Nights (2002 version), Age of Conan, SWTOR, and so on). Checked out the original Guild Wars, but most in the guild did not like the instanced game play so much, but GW2 fixed some of that. A big plus was "play how you want" before it became apparent this was not truly so. No subscription model. Asura! Charr! Sylvari, but that wasn’t immediate. Engineers with grenades and bombs! Yet I engaged in none of the hype the guild mates enjoyed. Other players not kill stealing/ninja looting and so on was rather nice, and something other games seriously fall short on.

Was given the game for my birthday, so I technically didn’t buy it, but I did later upgrade it with gems.

I’m the only one from my old guild that stuck around past a year. I do most things alone, or with my daughter these days.

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: FrozenStarRo.7240

FrozenStarRo.7240

Played through a free weekend during the invasions and I bought it the next day. I really wish they did more of these tbh, I have friends willing to try it cause they see how much I’ve been enjoying it for so long now, but they’re reluctant until trying it out. Or do trial keys of sorts…

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: Cyrill Faust.9340

Cyrill Faust.9340

My friends played it said it was good, it was B2P so I gave it a try, friends quit cause they hit 80 and didn’t know what to do(this was back in early 2013). I kept playing cause I liked the combat and could set my own goals. I now have 3000k+ hrs 12 80s and 3 legendaries . I play with my fiance now, she started playing so we could do something together since we go to different schools about 1.5 hrs apart.

Proud member of [BANK] my bank guild and [BANK](2) my other bank guild

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: PzTnT.7198

PzTnT.7198

I had heard good things about it, so when STO was turned into the most tedious grind imaginable I jumped on a sale and bought GW2. Another plus is that it doesn’t follow the generic MMO model too heavily.

If you are reading this you have finished reading my post and are now reading my signature.

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: dekou.6012

dekou.6012

Ease of leveling up
No vertical gear grind
Dynamic Event chains
Skill-based gameplay
Build variety and experimentation
Exploration
Can easily develop a character the way you want from 1 to 80: in WvW, PvE, PvP, with Personal Story or without, etc.
GW1 lore and ANet’s track record

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: Acrisor.8097

Acrisor.8097

I am a PvP player and curiosity made me buy GW2. I came from WoW where in PvP was way too much crowd control that I hated, so I wanted to try a new game.

Meanwhile, things changed in WoW where crowd control was drastically reduced, but so far GW2 PvP managed to keep me entertained in my free time, so most likely I will not return to WoW anytime soon (I do not have time to play 2 or 3 games at a time).

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: Regh.8649

Regh.8649

- The Charr picked my interest the moment I laid eyes on them
- Being B2P brought me on step closer.
- Aaaannd Angry Joe gave me the final push

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

Guild Wars 1 made me buy Guild Wards 2.

Value for money is what will make me buy this expansion. Though if the quality and quantity of the expansion is not better than the dire Living Story it may also be the last Guild Wars 2 expansion I buy.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

My girlfriend made me buy GW2…

I payed GW1 from release to about a few months after the release of EoTN, then I got burnt out more or less. I found Lotro and started playing that.

Right before release of GW2 almost the whole Guild in Lotro was going to buy GW2 and my Girlfriend wanted to join them in GW2 so she decided to buy GW2 to us both. I had though explicitly said to her that I don’t wan’t to start to play GW2 becouse I know I will get stuck in that game and I won’t play that much lotro anymore…

Long story short, now I play GW2 alot and I havent touched Lotro in about two years, my Guildmates from lotro went back to lotro only a few weeks after the relaese of GW2 and my Girlfriend still plays GW2 but not as much as me though.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

1. No monthly fee.
2. The ‘Manifesto’. Yeah, you may laugh a bit now. That said, even after selling out and breaking many tenets, this game is still way ahead of the pack in breaking some conventions: trinity, gathering node competition, gear grind… Trying out Archeage reminded me of how dreadful some of that stuff is.
3. WvWvW. It hasn’t been touched for too long, as is the fate of too many pvp game modes (i’m looking at you Lotro Ettenmoors), but it’s still up there as one of the best experiences for large-ish scale faction-based pvp.
4. The GW1 connection. Exploring the remains of Ascalon as a Charr was great.

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

What made you buy gw2?

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

I played Guild wars 1

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)