What roles are missing in professions?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Alex Shatter.7956

Alex Shatter.7956

There are many, many threads about elite specialization suggestions. They are exciting, and will be great once we have multiple, but most threads are thematically based (I want a sword on ele, I want a ghost themed necromancer, et cetera), but I wanted to start a thread that focused only on what role you think each profession is missing.

Mesmer, Ranger, Necromancer: Need a high damage, glass canon specialization, as they are chained to their utility skills and unique mechanics at the moment in PvE. They are pretty well off in PvP

Engineer: Desperately needs PvE utility. Some AoE like Tempest or buffs and healing like Druid to make them stand out. Nerfs to epidemic might solve this problem for them in the near future though

Elementalist, Thief: Need a bulky, one-on-one bruiser spec like Scrapper or Reaper, mostly so they can stop being so niche in PvP, where they are hard to balance

Guardian: Pretty well off at the moment in all game modes. Healing specializations are unpopular, but since DH already gave them a glassy build, and they have no real way to channel their healing-ness (which is supposed to be a core part of their profession), I think it might be the way to go

Revenant: I think an AoE damage specialization would be cool. AoE damage is kind of something that Tempest dominates and Revenant would be a strong contender for it

Warrior: I’m stumped. This is the profession I haven’t really played all that much. Perhaps they are in the category of Mesmer, Necromancer and Ranger of being chained to their utility skills and need something more damaging and front-line in PvE. Beserker kind of tried to do this? They are fine in PvP as well

(edited by Alex Shatter.7956)

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

very interesting topic.
i agree with most of your list

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

Necro: Support. Self+ally buffs (might, fury, other boons), better self+ally heals because the Blood Magic trait line is underwhelming.

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

Elementalist, Thief: Need a bulky, one-on-one bruiser spec like Scrapper or Reaper, mostly so they can stop being so niche in PvP, where they are hard to balance

It may be true they don’t have a "tank"y build, but I’m not sure that’s a bad thing. I can sort of see a bruiser thief, the bouncers you see out front of seedy bars type, but elementalists – the closest this game gets to classic wizards – aren’t really supposed to be the tanky type. I suppose earth attunement gives them some hardened ability to take hits, but I wouldn’t do much more than that. Instead, just play with how they attune to the elements.

Posted by: Alex Shatter.7956

Alex Shatter.7956

It may be true they don’t have a "tank"y build, but I’m not sure that’s a bad thing. I can sort of see a bruiser thief, the bouncers you see out front of seedy bars type, but elementalists – the closest this game gets to classic wizards – aren’t really supposed to be the tanky type. I suppose earth attunement gives them some hardened ability to take hits, but I wouldn’t do much more than that. Instead, just play with how they attune to the elements.

Does it make perfect sense? No. But dragonhunter and scrapper also gave two professions completely new roles that conflicted with the vanilla profession, so you shouldn’t deny elementalist a new one based on that metric. also, a tanky elementalist would make the profession much more approachable to casual players who find it hard to survive in open world or doing story mode content. in addition, there are a million kajillion ways you could make a “tanky” elementalist: Crystalmancer, Battlemage, Aethermancer, et cetera

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Warrior could use more Ranged and Defensive Support options – they only have one weapon that gives one type of combo field, and Berzerker gives them another that gives the same type of combo field. I’ve been arguing they need a Mainhand Pistol “Officer” specialization that gives them Healing and defensive support/utility.

Rangers need a damage-focused elite spec. I could see either Hammers or Rifles working as the weapons as well (As a power weapon, like Longbow, but not tied to trying to stay at long range, and without the AoE and utility)

Thieves and eles need durable bruisers. (Mace on thief? It could work)

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

Medium armoured archer who isn’t kitten by an NPC character.