What's RP server?

What's RP server?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tken.1986

Tken.1986

Recently, I keep seeing blah blah server is RP. I just have no idea what that is.

What's RP server?

Posted by: judeobscure.2537

judeobscure.2537

rp=role-playing.

its hard to remember we’re alive for the first time
its hard to remember we’re alive for the last time

What's RP server?

Posted by: Maxxian.3980

Maxxian.3980

On the 5th day of Christmas my ANet gave me to…MOON GUARD RP!!!

OK that’s disgusting.

1G to the 1st person who can name that reference.

What's RP server?

judeobscure.2537

What's RP server?

Posted by: Denial Of Service.5732

Denial Of Service.5732

On the 5th day of Christmas my ANet gave me to…MOON GUARD RP!!!

OK that’s disgusting.

1G to the 1st person who can name that reference.

i guess you are talking about this.
http://www.ownedcore.com/forums/news/site-news/articles-interviews/322360-something-awful-invades-moon-guard-roleplayers-go-ballistic.html

i dont want 1g dont worry i cheated using Google =P

What's RP server?

Posted by: Maxxian.3980

Maxxian.3980

What's RP server?

judeobscure.2537

i’d like my gold in copper please =)

What's RP server?

Tken.1986

nope, doesn’t make sense to me.

What's RP server?

Posted by: Hendever.6043

Hendever.6043

A more detailed explanation is that role-playing (in the context of a MMORPG) is playing the role of an in-game character as a fully-fleshed out character in the world of the game and consistent with the lore of the game. It can be something as simple as selecting dialogue options consistent with the character’s personality, or as involved as meeting with large groups of other players to participate in large-scale storylines and plots, with the in-game characters acting as would characters in any other story. Or it can be in-between, with characters having backstories and interacting with others they meet in the world as the characters would, rather than as the players would. This is a very general sort of explanation, but there are a lot of different types of and ways to role-play, so anything more detailed would cut off a lot of experiences.

If you’d like an example I can probably cook one up tomorrow, when I’m not on the forums at 2 am for some reason. =P

(edited by Hendever.6043)

What's RP server?

Tken.1986

ok for example, I saw a post saying that Tarnish Coast is a RP server. The whole game is role-playing. Unless he meant RIP.

What's RP server?

Posted by: Orb.1702

Orb.1702

As in the players in Tarnish Coast pretend they are their characters in chat and in game.

I Orb Mine I Human Thief I FA I [Hope]

What's RP server?

Posted by: Hendever.6043

Hendever.6043

Yeah, GW2 is an MMORPG, but most players of the game in general don’t role-play. What we mean when we say Tarnished Coast is an RP server is that most people who want to role-play as a significant amount of their /played time will be there in some shape or form, since RP is boring as cod alone. People will be on Tarnished Coast (or Piken Square, the EU equivalent) because Tarnished Coast was at some point decided by the community to be the designated RP-NA server for GW2. (Don’t ask me how it was decided because I have no idea. I let other people decide that junk then I do what they tell me. =P) Because of the large number of role-players in Tarnished Coast, it’s more likely there than on other servers that two people will meet and randomly fall into RP-ing, which is good, that’s pretty much what a lot of people want out of an RP server. The specific designation is partly for the sense of community and partly for the convenience of finding other RPers to play with. (This doesn’t however mean that most of the people on Tarnished Coast are role-players. Some people don’t care or don’t know Tarnished Coast is the RP server, some people like being on a high-pop server and know that Tarnished Coast will be one, some people like the atmosphere of an RP server but don’t want to RP themselves.)

What's RP server?

Tken.1986

@Orb and Hendever, thanks for answers. Finally make sense to me