What's The Point of Guilds?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Chris.7653

Chris.7653

Q:

Given the ease of finding groups by spamming “LFG”, the mediocre upgrades from influence, lack of end game raids and the ability to have cross server members. I ask this.

What is the point of a Guild in Guild Wars 2 other than a convenient chat room?

Posted by: Mimizu.7340

Mimizu.7340

extra bank space is worth making your own guild for, the rest is pointless.

Mimizu Heavy Industries [Doll] – Underworld

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

Playing the game is more fun with friends.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

Posted by: Ubung.7423

Ubung.7423

I gotta agree with ya. Two things that added to the game right now would help guilds.

1) Some form of raiding whether it be instanced meta DE’s, 10 / 20 man dungeons or an entirely new form of raiding. There is a distinct lack of challenge in this game for groups larger than 5. For this id hope for 10 / 20 man versions of the current dungeons because this would not gate any content for people who didnt want to raid. Also reward karma or dungeon tokens for these so gear isnt exclusive. Also no gear grind, all raids can be done with the 80 exotics.

2) The ability to make raid groups in the open world. If you wanna get your guild together for some DE’s you have to split up into 5 man groups. The ability to see people in your group on the map and to be able to join their overflow instance would help guilds a lot.

Me and my guild really like this game. We want to make it our main MMO but we enjoy raiding for the teamwork and skill required. For people like me adding some form of raiding to the game would really encourage cash shop sales. Another market that this game could cater too.

Posted by: luchifer.6401

luchifer.6401

Given the ease of finding groups by spamming “LFG”, the mediocre upgrades from influence, lack of end game raids and the ability to have cross server members. I ask this.

What is the point of a Guild in Guild Wars 2 other than a convenient chat room?

Exactly, its a chat room with friends… just like every other game where, believe it or not, not everyone raids.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

The “point” of guilds is to get a bunch of people together who like to play together or just hang out and chatter. The vault, the banners, the extra doo-dads which weren’t in GW1 . . . or earlier games . . . are really more like bonuses you can get if you want. You don’t really have to have them.

My guild/alliance exists pretty much as a bunch of people who are smart, witty, funny, and interested in doing things together and helping each other out.

(Or we think we’re smart, witty, funny, but it’s okay, we don’t care if we’re not. We just have fun.)

In my opinion, that’s one good reason to make a guild.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Ualtar.5047

Ualtar.5047

I think the point of guilds is the same in GW2 as it is in any other MMO. Your points could be said in any game to be honest. In all MMOs the point of guilds is to allow you to congregate with like minded people. In my case, that is a guild of people mostly in our 30s that want a nice peaceful mature environment. For other people it might be a group of people that all want to swear like sailors. For yet others it might be PvP that draws them together. That is the point of guilds, everything else is just a bonus.

Alrekr Yerling
Khazad Fundinul [KF] – Tarnished Coast

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I think the point of guilds is the same in GW2 as it is in any other MMO. Your points could be said in any game to be honest. In all MMOs the point of guilds is to allow you to congregate with like minded people. In my case, that is a guild of people mostly in our 30s that want a nice peaceful mature environment. For other people it might be a group of people that all want to swear like sailors. For yet others it might be PvP that draws them together. That is the point of guilds, everything else is just a bonus.

Exactly, it did confuse me if the question was meant for Guild Wars or just in general . . . so I gave a generalized answer

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Ualtar.5047

Ualtar.5047

Exactly, it did confuse me if the question was meant for Guild Wars or just in general . . . so I gave a generalized answer

I have seen these types of posts pop up in other games too. They seem to come from somebody who has been hurt in some why by a guild. Often it seems to be people that try to find their guild by joining random invites in game.

My suggestion with guilds is to research a lot before you find one. Have a conversation with the guild leader. Then think about it for awhile before you join. Maybe try grouping with guild members and see how you fit in.

I researched many guilds before I joined mine. That was in 2007 in LOTRO, I have now been with that same guild for 5 years. There was hardly a point to guilds in LOTRO either, just storage really. Yet, I am still playing with those fools. :P

Alrekr Yerling
Khazad Fundinul [KF] – Tarnished Coast

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I have seen these types of posts pop up in other games too. They seem to come from somebody who has been hurt in some why by a guild. Often it seems to be people that try to find their guild by joining random invites in game.

My suggestion with guilds is to research a lot before you find one. Have a conversation with the guild leader. Then think about it for awhile before you join. Maybe try grouping with guild members and see how you fit in.

I researched many guilds before I joined mine. That was in 2007 in LOTRO, I have now been with that same guild for 5 years. There was hardly a point to guilds in LOTRO either, just storage really. Yet, I am still playing with those fools. :P

I found the one I’m in during Guild Wars 1, a Canthan New Year festival was going on and I was helping out and chattering with some of the folks while going out for Lunar Token farming between event finales. They thought I was kinda interesting so I was brought on.

Every year, like clockwork, we’d be there for Canthan New Year picking up a district and making sure it’d get all the meals done.

Posted by: Dreamwalker.3617

Dreamwalker.3617

The guild system we got now is just a placeholder. More stuff is planned, but when it will actually be added I have no idea.

That was so funny, I laughed twice.

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

extra bank space is worth making your own guild for, the rest is pointless.

totally agree, thats what my guild is for, i realized this the 25th august.

I took an arrow to the knee