What's a Bad Player to Do?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ekarat.1085

ekarat.1085

So, in the forums, I see cries of “Learn to play” (though not directed at me) and have gotten ranted at by someone for only having “2k+ AP” (when they joined my instance when I asked for help — besides, I was proud that I just hit the 2k AP mark that day).

I know my reflexes aren’t as good as some. I do read guides, though many make a lot of assumptions and are written in such a way that they are hard to understand unless you already know what they are trying to do. I do attempt to active dodge, but I make mistakes.

However, a lot of advice that I see just ends up getting me killed because I don’t have he reflexes to pull it off. For example, ranged weapons may do less damage, but they keep me alive. Still, I get told that I should never use a ranged weapon (though I do agree that a guardian really needs to be melee, but I consider that a special case). Also, I get laughed at when I don’t do ranged either, so I can’t win.

So, it seems like everyone wants a game that wants player skill but complain about the players that aren’t as good and can’t compensate with better equipment.

At least you can’t say I’m not trying, but what’s a bad player to do?

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I really don’t understand all the AP snobs, honestly. Someone that bought the game a week ago can’t be expected to have 15K AP yet, but I’ve seen people saying if you don’t have more than that, you’re not really wanted for dungeon runs. Seems excessive to me…

Posted by: Hjorje.9453

Hjorje.9453

Continue to play the way you want. Granted, there are ways that are more efficient, that is the key word here efficient, but not the only way of doing things. I run dungeons all the time with my guild and their are no right way or wrong way to play (suggestions are made but don’t have to be followed unless it has to be done a certain way so the whole group doesn’t die)

What I would tell you in find a good PvE guild on your server, and just have fun. There are no bad players (if your trying) there is only less skilled players.

Hjorje

Posted by: Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

What’s AP?
NM, I looked it up. I still don’t understand why it’s anyone else’s business how many achievement points you have, and what it has to do with how good a player you are.

(edited by Kitty La Boom Boom.4065)

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Find a guild of friendly like minded players to play with that understand your limitations and will work with you.

The Burninator

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Just play to have fun. Skill comes with time. However, if you want to run with strangers in dungeons, and they expect all party members to be able to hold their own, you shouldn’t feel bad if they kick you. It’s nothing personal. Some players want to be able to speed through content with experiences players. Same holds true for PvP.

Reading guides is helpful to get effective builds. The next step is to learn to use those builds to the best efficiency possible.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Ignore the taunts, and have fun as best you can! I play ranged on my main 100% of the time, and I am only a few days away from the 15,000 AP mark. I don’t have much trouble completing anything in-game solo; at least, not anything I am interested in.

Of course, I don’t really participate much in PvP, so maybe that’s where you are concentrating your efforts, and where all the remarks are coming from. If that is the case, I guess just keep practicing, and keep map chat and /say turned off?

Good luck.

Posted by: Hjorje.9453

Hjorje.9453

I really don’t understand all the AP snobs, honestly. Someone that bought the game a week ago can’t be expected to have 15K AP yet, but I’ve seen people saying if you don’t have more than that, you’re not really wanted for dungeon runs. Seems excessive to me…

I totally agree with this, I have a second account that I don’t ever play. I have a couple of 80s on it, but barely over 1000 AP. Luckily I don’t have to pug my dungeon runs, but I find it funny that they are looking at AP points.

Hjorje

Celtic Lady.3729

What’s AP?
/+15 characters

AP stands for Achievement Points

Posted by: segman.3560

segman.3560

You must have found some exceptions. The community isn’t that bad in general. The AP is a terrible way of measuring skill. Don’t worry about people and if you struggle with dungeons or other difficulties finding a helpful guild is better than pugs.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Well if ppl usually try to explain the most effective or optimized way of playing (meta) that doesn’t mean that everybody should only play that way. That’s the blurry line between PHIW and Elistist. But most ppl don’t really care if you don’t have an optimized build as long as you get the job done with a somehow good build.

You can post something in profession subforum for specific advice on your problem. Explain that you know the meta, but can’t stay alive with it since you don’t have the reflexes to dodge most attacks.

Obviously there will be a couple of ppl that will say play what you prefer (PHIW) and other ppl that will stay stick with the meta and learn to play (Elistist), but you will also have legitimate advice on how to approach as much as possible the meta, while having a build that will better serve your needs.

That won’t change jerk to point out to you that you don’t play meta, but hey humanity will always have jerk, nothing you can do about it.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

Join a good guild. Pugs are nasty, and do stupid things like exclude based on AP.

People are generally much nicer to guildies, and many guilds make a it a point to teach/help new guildies learn.

My guild is one of those. Feel free to request an invite if it sounds good to you :-)

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/community/lookingfor/ARES-Knights-of-Ares-Dragonbrand-PvX/first

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

Im going to take a leap and assume this is in regards to PvE dungeon running? In my experience it’s probably one of the worst segments of this community…of course this doesn’t mean all either.

From your post it sounds like you’re giving it your all, so my suggestion would be to find a guild that fits your playstyle, stop pug’n. It may take some time finding this new guild, but in the end far more beneficial.

Disregard any comments about achievement points, as they mean absolutely nothing. I sit at 12k and have been playing since day one, I don’t chase pointless grinds, collections, or any other activities that I deem not worth my time. Those points have nothing to do with how well you play, but what you do when you play, and many if not most of those achievement are just grindfests for the players that find that content fun.

hope it helps alleviates some of your concerns.

JQ Druid

(edited by Wetpaw.3487)

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Mate, just don’t call yourself bad for a start. You’re getting on with your game as best you can and trying to improve your skills, which if anything makes you a good player.

Being good or bad at the various types of gameplay is a different matter. It’s a bit nit-picky but better than putting yourself down.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Best advice is avoid speed-run/zerk groups for dungeons. And don’t be shy about making your own LFGs for “All welcome.” Without the added pressure to be “not a bad,” you can learn the game with others you group with.

Otherwise, you might want to put a little more focus on honing those reflexes. Try to pick up on mob attack patterns and count out the timing. The AI is fairly predictable once you commit to attending. And I don’t mean that as an accusation; people sometimes need a little extra motivation to focus on their enemies and surroundings, like getting hit with that !$#%^ 5-second knockdown for the Nth time. (…personal experience -_-)

Good luck, though.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

The one’s who ask for high AP only players simply want to play with other people they believe have similar qualities to them. In their mind, they consider themselves pro and if they have 15k+ AP, then naturally people with 15k+ AP will also be pro like them, and they won’t bother with people with less.

It’s a very close-minded way to look at things as anyone could tell you that good players that started later in the life of GW2 could not possibly have that high AP. But whatever floats their boat.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

A bad player is to play with other “bad” players. If you know you’re going to get kicked/laughed at by groups with the desc “5+ AP, Zerker only” then why join them?

Posted by: MegumiAzusa.2918

MegumiAzusa.2918

If you’re playing on EU write me some time and we can play, I don’t care at all for AP, just having some fun is more important.

Posted by: Mojo Gris Gris.5941

Mojo Gris Gris.5941

Sounds to me like I would enjoy playing with OP.

Posted by: Ark.9586

Ark.9586

If someone puts an AP requirement on their LFG, they are almost guaranteed to be a wannabe speedrunner anyways. Don’t worry you aren’t missing out.

Pug groups are always trash groups.

Go with guildmates and friends.

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

A bad player is to play with other “bad” players. If you know you’re going to get kicked/laughed at by groups with the desc “5+ AP, Zerker only” then why join them?

I don’t see anywhere in his/her post stated what your statement describes…
“and have gotten ranted at by someone for only having “2k+ AP” (when they joined my instance when I asked for help)”

and not all meta/achievement elitists post your description when looking to form a group, or join a group.

and that still doesn’t justify harassment of players when a simple kick or explanation in a civil manner could relay expectations just as well.

JQ Druid

(edited by Wetpaw.3487)

Posted by: edgarallanpwn.8739

edgarallanpwn.8739

i got kicked from an AC party listed as a normal AC party P1 because i wasn’t level 80(and they didn’t list 80’s only)

I also left another group because some guy kittened me out after i accidentally aggroed a mob after my gf needed to tell me something. I just reported him and blocked him.

People just suck.

I wouldn’t care what anyone says. Part of why i love this game… ALMOST everyone i have asked for help, has helped me.

I just started, and im new, and everyone is willing to be friendly and explain stuff. They take time out of their day to explain fights and mechanics.

I passed that on to others buy teaching other players who didn’t know AC the fights in return as well. Don’t let a few sourpusses ruin your fun

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

A lot of veteran players purchased second accounts during the sale, so I wonder just how many of those low AP players are newbies? I’ve met quite a few low level/low AP, highly skilled players recently.

Anyhow, as long as you continue to try to get better, you’re doing fine. About melee and ranged… Mostly you’re expected to “stack and smack,” but there are areas where you need a ranged weapon, or where you can use one if you prefer. The key is getting to know the dungeon paths well, so that you can make that decision without compromising your group’s strategy. You should always keep both ranged and melee weapons on you. I’d go as far as to say keep one of every weapon type that your profession can use.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Don’t let a few sourpusses ruin your fun

^ This Guy ^

GW2 has the best gaming community I’ve encountered. Just learn the signs to avoid the snobs, and you’re golden.

(Actually, it’s 200 gold in the bank that gets you The Golden, but…=P)

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Celtic Lady.3729

AC is a really popular dungeon run and maybe that’s why I see so much bad behavior regarding it. After I got kicked from a handful of groups that did not advertise as being speed-perfect-players-only runs, I began advertising my own AC runs.

I listed the runs as friendly, no kittens allowed runs and it was amazing the number of responses I’d get. The groups filled nearly immediately and I’d get whispers from people asking if I was going to do more runs since the group filled before they could get in. Lots of comments about how refreshing it was to find a decent dungeon run.

These things make me kind of sad and make me realize that there is a need out there for decent players to reach out without all the elitist kitten going down.

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

It sucks that you managed to stumble on elitist morons so often. It’s usually not that bad.
Someone already gave the “join a guild” advice. If that is not for you, you could try and weed out the idiots by opening your own group in lfg and note that it’s “no zerker, no speedrun, everyone welcome”, or something like that. I never once had a bad experience with these groups. Granted, once we wiped so often in Twilight Arbor we were all naked in the end, but we just laughed it off because nobody expected the run to go without a hiccup. It was ome of the more unproductive, but fun hours of my life.

The people who know beforehand not to expect a pro and join your group anyway tend to be relaxed folk willing to help newbies, explaining special tactics or just accompanying someone with little experience. I don’t pug often these days, but when I do, it’s with this kind of group. It might be a good way for you to find people to play with who aren’t supreme male sexual organs.

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Posted by: Felblade.8701

Felblade.8701

I remember thinking AP was attack power and was like how do these people expect me to have over 5k attack power? am i the only one who thought this? haha.

edgarallanpwn.8739

I remember thinking AP was attack power and was like how do these people expect me to have over 5k attack power? am i the only one who thought this? haha.

LOL yeah thats what i first thought then someone said 15k ap… and i was like well, that could be a big problem…….

then someone said achievement points and i was like kitten

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

I know my reflexes aren’t as good as some. I do read guides, though many make a lot of assumptions and are written in such a way that they are hard to understand unless you already know what they are trying to do. I do attempt to active dodge, but I make mistakes.

However, a lot of advice that I see just ends up getting me killed because I don’t have he reflexes to pull it off. For example, ranged weapons may do less damage, but they keep me alive. Still, I get told that I should never use a ranged weapon (though I do agree that a guardian really needs to be melee, but I consider that a special case). Also, I get laughed at when I don’t do ranged either, so I can’t win.

If you’re on guardian it should be alot easier to stay alive than on other classes. If you’re having difficulty with survivability than its good that you went with guardian because it cushions the transition into surviving more. Also scepter on guardian is really good so if someone tells you not to use it against large hitbox targets just tell em to shove it

The way you learn is how i learned when i joined the game. Make listings for dungeons saying “anyone can join”. Since as you say you have a lot to learn dont join experienced dungeon runs and slow people down because most of the people who advertise for experience or zerk or w/e are the type to get really annoyed if you mess up. Secondly don’t take anything to heart on what people say. Watch videos from good players or streams like Nike’s to see how good players play and realize that you can only dodge so much. If you miss dodging a boss’s attack its your fault, but if the boss is up for minutes on end and you die then it’s the groups fault for having low dps.

If you want you can add me and ill join your runs and help you out from time to time. You should try and find other people who you enjoy running with so you can just do dunegons for fun. It is hard to get better in pug groups so make your own!

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

The problem is that elitists run rampant in MMOs. I am surprised that game developer companies do not do very much to keep them in check because they usually make the game not fun for the rest of the population.

Liaison for [Teef]
“Please stop complaining about stuff you don’t even know about.” ~Nocta

Posted by: Lynne.8416

Lynne.8416

Just play to have fun, as it really doesn’t matter how skilled you are. There are always going to be people that play more efficiently than others, but as long as you participate and do your best, then don’t worry about others opinions of your abilities. Those that you enjoy playing with, add them to your friends list or as others have suggested join a friendly guild.

Posted by: seabhac.5346

seabhac.5346

I literally wince whenever something in the game (looking at you, legendary crafting) requires me to run a dungeon.

So, I always look for LFG postings that specify ‘all welcome’ and then whisper the group to make sure they understand my ‘issues’ with dungeon running.

I’ve had pretty good success finding fun groups and managed to earn the tokens needed for 2 legendary weapons.

One run in particular involved Twilight Arbor’s aetherpath. I had never attempted that path, but the dungeon owner didn’t care because they were only interested in finishing up a few achievements for the meta to earn the watchnight mini.

This person was a real trooper, because he ended up with a rag tag group of pugs. Against all odds, we managed to help him earn the meta achievement. On top of that, I unlocked 13/17 towards that meta achievement as a first timer in that dungeon path because of that fantastic leader and our pug group. We spent 4 hours together! Had to repair armor numerous times because we were often nearly naked. But, we did it and had the best time and most fun ever. One of the members was operating on 31 hours without sleep, so we had to wait for them to wake up and could tell they had nodded off when they didn’t move with the group (which usually happened right after finishing up a strategy planning ‘session’ with the leader). This same leader also brought extra aetherkey pieces (enough to create 5 keys per person), food and oil buffs and popped banners. They really wanted that meta achievement, and was the most helpful, patient and understanding dungeon leader I’ve ever encountered, before or since. During the course of the run, we found out they and a friend formed the group, and were from Japan. So, they even had to work with language differences among the group members.

It was the most wonderful, awesome fun I’ve had outside of WvW, and just wanted to share this experience with you as an example of how great it really can be to ‘pug’ it when you have to…

Just play it the way you need to, and don’t let the ‘true baddies’ that rely on AP for skill tell you how to play.

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

If you play in random parties, never join those that set requirements (such as having to wear Berserker gear, being experienced, certain amount of AP (even if you do meet the reqs)).

I play in parties without requirements all the time, and have plenty of times people with AP ranging from 500 to 10K+ in a single party, yet no one is ever being made fun of. Even if they’re dying a lot or just stay in the backrow the majority of the time.

So, I always look for LFG postings that specify ‘all welcome’ and then whisper the group to make sure they understand my ‘issues’ with dungeon running.

These are always the best kind of parties. Instant-join for me.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

(edited by Milennin.4825)

Posted by: Lukhas.1962

Lukhas.1962

spam nº4 longbow skill…

Celtic Lady.3729

He’s a guardian…

Posted by: seabhac.5346

seabhac.5346

Rangers aren’t the only ones with a one button knockback skill…. geesh!

Posted by: Lukhas.1962

Lukhas.1962

Rangers aren’t the only ones with a one button knockback skill…. geesh!

I know, but a player becomes “bad player” not because they have bad reflexes …is an example…

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

Sounds to me like you’re getting unlucky with your parties. join a guild, do guild groups, screw the elitists who think everyone who dares to step in to a dungeon should know every exploit and shortcut there is.

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

The worst players are not players that play badly but those that treat the game like a job to make an income in and anyone that slows down their income is just a speed hump.

Posted by: Bernie.8674

Bernie.8674

I recommend that you inform yourself. I have found these videos to be a good start:

Basic PvE DPS Rotation guides
As for ranged vs melee, many classes do more DPS in melee, but there are some bosses on which melee is absolutely discouraged, regardless of how much DPS you do. So even after looking at those guides, be sure to consider the situation you’re in before blindly adhering to a generally optimal standard.

Posted by: VodCom.6924

VodCom.6924

So, in the forums, I see cries of “Learn to play” (though not directed at me) and have gotten ranted at by someone for only having “2k+ AP” (when they joined my instance when I asked for help — besides, I was proud that I just hit the 2k AP mark that day).

snip

My two cents : Meta builds are constructed to fit in a meta group. If you bring a meta build in a regular PuG group you’re going to struggle unless you can solo the dungeon.

To remedy this : tweak the meta builds. A zerker 6/4/2/2/0 staff ele can become a 6/0/0/4/4 valkyrie staff ele for more survivability. Don’t hesistate to change utilities : bring more stunbreak/blocks and less signets of fire/arcane waves.

A 4/5/0/0/5 GS/S-F guard can be turned in a hammer guardian with minimal tweaks as well.

Some dungeon guides also include a section of “PuG carrier” builds. You should take a look.

Known as Reegar Else, Linda Else, Xiana Else and Thorgall Breakstone

(edited by VodCom.6924)

edgarallanpwn.8739

The worst players are not players that play badly but those that treat the game like a job to make an income in and anyone that slows down their income is just a speed hump.

Yeah i don’t get this. I can make more in a day in at my current job than anyone would make in a month in game doing this hardcore probably.

i’ll just use the time i didn’t waste farming to buy everything these guys are wasting countless hours on.

Time vs money efficiency

Posted by: yanipheonu.5798

yanipheonu.5798

AP is probably one of dumbest ways of judging someone’s gameplay strengths I’ve heard.

May as well just judge them by their choice of name at that point.

Posted by: GiraffeRampage.6420

GiraffeRampage.6420

im a newer player to this game and I can agree with you to some extent. Ive come to learn AP acts as an unofficial gear/skill check in this game and while it seems logical that one with alot of AP’s should be great at their proffesion, ive seen numerous times that is not even slightly the case. I just hit 500ap the other day and i get questioned a fair amount of time in dungeons if i know the fight mechanics or the pug leader is only giving me one chance to not mess up or im getting kicked…yet im the one who doesnt get downed or killed and im wrecking a boss with dps, i can out class a majority of players i have played with. In short AP should not act as a skill check because that has nothing to do with how good you play your proffession. Honestly, google, youtube and dulfy should be your best friends on learning how to be a better player.

Posted by: Yasi.9065

Yasi.9065

I dont get why people feel slighted just because others dont want them in their dungeon groups. Its THEIR dungeon group, not yours.

AP is an easy way to determine how much experience someone in general has. Someone with 800 ap wont have more than that one 80 character and only limited gear to boot.
Someone below 5k ap probably wont know all the things necessary to make a speedrun run smoothly.

Ive seen so many below 10k people doing stupid stuff like not staying in corners, dodging backwards, putting down non-fire fields during blasting, putting down reflects when either not necessary or other reflect just put down etc.

So, my educated guess is -> with players below 10k ap my chance on getting a good, competent player are something around 10%. Im not willing to take that chance, so Im putting in the request that only 10k+ ap people join my group, or they will get kicked.

You dont like my attitude? Then why are you even joining my group?

Get it?

@ ekarat
Why are your reflexes not good enough? If it isnt because of some kind of disability, then its just because you havent done it often enough, which can be easily fixed by running dungeons with your guild.
All of our “reflexes” were bad at one point, but by playing the game long enough, getting the knowledge, you get to the point that some things are just easy for you.
2k ap means to me, you havent played the game for longer than about 1k hours? So, Id be expecting you to make mistakes.
There’s enough guilds out there willing to overlook such newbie mistakes as long as you are willing to learn.
So, whats a bad player to do? Get practice with people more knowledgable and nice enough to overlook stupid mistakes.

@ Azrael
Some people, like me, dont have much time, but lots of experience and they play the game above standard. So those people maybe, just maybe, want to get max available content done during the limited time they have each day. Maybe to buy themselves a precursor, or to get achievements done or whatever.
Others are just not willing to spend more time on something then is absolutely necessary.
You obviously want to enjoy the game and have a lot of time on your hand to do it more casually. Others dont. Are they bad people because of it? Nope. They just dont want to play the game at YOUR pace, but their own and look for people capable and willing to keep up. YOU dont want to keep up (dunno if you are capable) so YOUR reaction is to say “those are bad, bad, bad people, they dont want to play the game as I want them to play it”.
Think about it

@ GiraffeRampage
Some things come with experience and playing the game, such as when to dodge, when to use what skill, how to counter skill boss uses, even just recognizing what skill it is boss uses atm.
AP is a fairly accurate way to determine that skill level, as it shows up to a certain amount, how much time someone spend on just playing gw2 already. If you spend 2k hours playing a game, even if you are totally resistent against good advice, you pick up on some stuff.
Maybe there are some that are quite good without having 5k ap. But why should I bother with trying to weed out the unexperienced ones just to find that one capable guy?

(edited by Yasi.9065)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Find and join a casual guild. Plenty of players in my guild are older or have a bad connection or don’t have the skills. So what? We still have fun playing together.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Find a guild of friendly like minded players to play with that understand your limitations and will work with you.

^

this is your solution. I don’t know whether you’re EU or NA, but casual guilds in Guild Wars 2 are quite common. Don’t be afraid to socialize. You’ll find nice people that won’t be mad at you sooner or later.

Besides that, continue trying. Reaction time only start slipping because people relax and switch hobbies. If you continue at it for years (even if just casually), not only will you not get worse but eventually you will get somewhat better.

A combination of these two will make instances not scary, but rather enjoyable. Either way, the right company is the key

GiraffeRampage.6420

I dont get why people feel slighted just because others dont want them in their dungeon groups. Its THEIR dungeon group, not yours.

AP is an easy way to determine how much experience someone in general has. Someone with 800 ap wont have more than that one 80 character and only limited gear to boot.
Someone below 5k ap probably wont know all the things necessary to make a speedrun run smoothly.

Ive seen so many below 10k people doing stupid stuff like not staying in corners, dodging backwards, putting down non-fire fields during blasting, putting down reflects when either not necessary or other reflect just put down etc.

So, my educated guess is -> with players below 10k ap my chance on getting a good, competent player are something around 10%. Im not willing to take that chance, so Im putting in the request that only 10k+ ap people join my group, or they will get kicked.

You dont like my attitude? Then why are you even joining my group?

Get it?

@ ekarat
Why are your reflexes not good enough? If it isnt because of some kind of disability, then its just because you havent done it often enough, which can be easily fixed by running dungeons with your guild.
All of our “reflexes” were bad at one point, but by playing the game long enough, getting the knowledge, you get to the point that some things are just easy for you.
2k ap means to me, you havent played the game for longer than about 1k hours? So, Id be expecting you to make mistakes.
There’s enough guilds out there willing to overlook such newbie mistakes as long as you are willing to learn.
So, whats a bad player to do? Get practice with people more knowledgable and nice enough to overlook stupid mistakes.

@ Azrael
Some people, like me, dont have much time, but lots of experience and they play the game above standard. So those people maybe, just maybe, want to get max available content done during the limited time they have each day. Maybe to buy themselves a precursor, or to get achievements done or whatever.
Others are just not willing to spend more time on something then is absolutely necessary.
You obviously want to enjoy the game and have a lot of time on your hand to do it more casually. Others dont. Are they bad people because of it? Nope. They just dont want to play the game at YOUR pace, but their own and look for people capable and willing to keep up. YOU dont want to keep up (dunno if you are capable) so YOUR reaction is to say “those are bad, bad, bad people, they dont want to play the game as I want them to play it”.
Think about it

Again youre missing the point…this is NOT a hardcore mmo, this is a game meant for casuals. As far as speed runs go with pugs, i have yet to see a “zerk speed run. Exp required” group finish a dungeon in under 15 minutes or less, which is considered a speed run by most hardcore raiders. Realistically speed runs dont exist in this game. Also there is no way to know if the random puggers in your group have the right skills/gear to finish a dungeon quicker which makes your argument less vaild. This game has no raids, no truly hard mode for anything, fractals are a joke. I laugh when i see speedrun under a lfg description. Speedruns only belong in a game that requires 110% skill, and groups cant be carried which is not possible in this game anyone with little to no skill can complete a dungeon in explorable with basic fresh 80 gear /stats. If youre looking for elitism YOU belong in a different game, im sorry but that is the fact.

Posted by: Yasi.9065

Yasi.9065

Im sorry, but you are missing my point

Nowhere does anet state that we have to play with everybody in a casual way.

You dont like the requirements I put up in my group search… so why dont you just make your own group and play the game your own way?

And sorry, but you saying that with 500 ap you are better than everybody you played so far, that makes YOU the elitist, not me. Im just making a good and valid point. The point being:
nobody can force someone else to play the game a certain way
nobody can force anyone to group with him/her

Stop trying to force YOUR way on others. Its getting embarassing. Just dont join groups that write “5k+ ap” or “exp only” in their group search. The community is more than big enough to find other groups.

Btw, a speedrun is a run that completes a certain content as fast as possible by using optimal settings.
How about you grow up a little, so to speak, in gw2 and then we talk again when you spend about 2k hours on gw2? Not really in the mood to discuss with someone something that he has little to no experience with.

Not to mention, your peeve with being judged by the amount of ap you have, is actually not what this thread is about

Its about: how to get past that stage of limited skills and into the realm of being accepted into 5k+ ap or experienced only groups (aka: how to become a player considered a good player by a big part of the community).
As to that… one more thing… just by playing the game with your guildies for a while, you get 5k ap easily, as well as the necessary skills to not be called a bad player anymore.
Thats actually how low those requirements are

(edited by Yasi.9065)

GiraffeRampage.6420

Im sorry, but you are missing my point

Nowhere does anet state that we have to play with everybody in a casual way.

You dont like the requirements I put up in my group search… so why dont you just make your own group and play the game your own way?

And sorry, but you saying that with 500 ap you are better than everybody you played so far, that makes YOU the elitist, not me. Im just making a good and valid point. The point being:
nobody can force someone else to play the game a certain way
nobody can force anyone to group with him/her

Stop trying to force YOUR way on others. Its getting embarassing. Just dont join groups that write “5k+ ap” or “exp only” in their group search. The community is more than big enough to find other groups.

Btw, a speedrun is a run that completes a certain content as fast as possible by using optimal settings.
How about you grow up a little, so to speak, in gw2 and then we talk again when you spend about 2k hours on gw2? Not really in the mood to discuss with someone something that he has little to no experience with.

Lol you have absolutely every right to setup any dungeon group you want no one is taking that awat from you. 2ndly i did not say im better than everyone, i said that i have outclassed /played better than a majority of the players i have ran dungeons with. Thirdly, again AP dont mean jack as all i do is run dungeons and thats all ive been doing since i hit 80 last month. Just because i dont have a ton of APs doesnt mean i dont have skill which is why im agreeing with the OP.
I also dont have to prove anything to you because this game is 100% EZ mode and please dont talk to me about speed runs because your talking to someone whos guild downed algalon the destroyer in 25man heroic in the first month something you most likely no nothing about since youre very focused on specific AP for running dungeons like really…its a dungeon…with 5 ppl…lol irl.