What's the buzz on new professions?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: schizandra.4587

schizandra.4587

Does anyone have any current or recent news about whether new professions are going to be included in future expansions? I can’t remember reading anything directly from the devs either for or against new professions, but here and there in the forums, people claim to have heard something about it. I can’t find any one thread where the likelihood of new professions is discussed; it’s only discussed piecemeal when someone suggests a specific new profession. So I’m starting this thread.

I’ve personally changed my opinion on this; I hope that no new professions will be introduced, for the sake of combat balance and because all roles seem to be filled. So I’m looking for news on this because I’m selfishly hoping that the devs are NOT spending time working on new professions. :P

Posted by: ShadowMaster.5708

ShadowMaster.5708

Im pretty sure they will add some new ones, just like they did with GW1. Most likely a new heavy armour atleast, since we only got 2 classes wearing heavy, while we got 3 medium and light.

schizandra.4587

The Factions and Nightfall professions were absorbed by the current GW2 professions as they are, from what I understand. I know people think we need a 3rd heavy armor profession, but what would it do that isn’t already covered by current classes?

In any case, I don’t mean to say that I don’t want debate about new professions in this thread (I don’t care and I’m happy to participate in that) but there are already many threads on that. Here I’m mostly asking what people have heard about from ANet or others about whether or not it will happen, and sources if possible.

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

The Factions and Nightfall professions were absorbed by the current GW2 professions as they are, from what I understand. I know people think we need a 3rd heavy armor profession, but what would it do that isn’t already covered by current classes?

In any case, I don’t mean to say that I don’t want debate about new professions in this thread (I don’t care and I’m happy to participate in that) but there are already many threads on that. Here I’m mostly asking what people have heard about from ANet or others about whether or not it will happen, and sources if possible.

Well, soldiers are the only classification without a class that uses an alternate mechanic instead of weapon swapping. Something like a class that swaps stance styles with a single set, a spellsword of some sort that alternates between melee and range with each weapon, or a druidic heavy class that changes his inner animal to completely change his weapon skills (sort of like a more creative Udyr from League of Legends) would all be worthy candidates.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

I think you sort of hit the nail on the head by saying that all profession roles have already been filled.

I don’t think there’s a whole lot of likelihood of them adding new professions. Although part of me pines over the loss of Ritualists and I know a lot of others feel the same about the Dervish.

I do recall reading someone on the forums mentioning that Anet has said they were unlikely to add new professions. But I’ve never seen a quote to accompany the claim and others always post saying they’ve heard the opposite.

Short answer, we don’t really know for certain. But I do suspect the answer is probably a no, especially considering that Anet seems to want to release these smaller monthly updates rather than full-blown expansions. Their response on actual expansions (the only real chance for new professions) was MAYBE two or three years down the line.

Well, soldiers are the only classification without a class that uses an alternate mechanic instead of weapon swapping. Something like a class that swaps stance styles with a single set, a spellsword of some sort that alternates between melee and range with each weapon, or a druidic heavy class that changes his inner animal to completely change his weapon skills (sort of like a more creative Udyr from League of Legends) would all be worthy candidates.

You aren’t going to see anything remotely similar to a Druid. We have the Norn who can change form, they aren’t going to add a profession that mimics a racial ability. I can however see how a Dervish or Ritualist could use weapon mechanics other than a weapon swap, (Dervishes with stances of some sort and Ritualists with some sort of communing/spirit channeling kind of bar).

(edited by FlamingFoxx.1305)

Posted by: Tinboy.7954

Tinboy.7954

IMO, they might add a new profession just cause they need to do something to keep the game interesting. However, I don’t think they are going to do that anytime soon since they are just beginning to release PvP content. Honestly though, I’d rather they do something about the PvP mechanics and make it more interesting than add a new profession.

Posted by: Scourge.1563

Scourge.1563

possable also you could have a heavy armor spellcaster (Guards dont fit that role)

Naz Gul-Necro/Witch King-Revenant
Watching you Bleed makes me smile…………
Titanium Horde (TANK)(Borlis Pass)

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

In one of the latest articles there was an image of a Ritualist with GW2 graphics.
This may not indicate anything, but still.

Posted by: Safer Saviour.9685

Safer Saviour.9685

possable also you could have a heavy armor spellcaster (Guards dont fit that role)

Yes, they really do. They use sceptres, foci, tridents and staves. They have spellbooks as elite skills.

schizandra.4587

We already have a spellcaster. Putting heavy armor on a spellcaster doesn’t make it something else.

I also agree that Druids are unlikely for the reasons Foxx stated. As for the spellsword that can alternate between melee and ranged, Elementalists and Mesmers already do that to a large extent, just without the obvious switching.

In one of the latest articles there was an image of a Ritualist with GW2 graphics.

Ooo. Where? Link please?

Posted by: donttread.9304

donttread.9304

I would love to see a bard profession. The elementalist mechanic would be great for twisting songs together.

Posted by: Khaine.9286

Khaine.9286

Before launch at a convention (dont remember which) the devs were asked about new professions in expansions. And if i recall correctly they said that new professions were unlikely, and would rather expand current professions with new weapons (Johanssen actually hinted strongly towards Battleaxes).
This was a lopng time ago tho so they might have changed their mind.

They video of the panel should be on the Arenanet youtube channel.

Posted by: Tinboy.7954

Tinboy.7954

Yes, they really do. They use sceptres, foci, tridents and staves. They have spellbooks as elite skills.

… except for the fact that scepters, staves, tridents and spellbooks are all pretty much useless. I am a guardian and I only use a scepter because I am FORCED to use it for a ranged weapon. The auto attack is sooooooo slow and easily evadable. The staff is ‘ok’ but some skills are downright useless which makes me rather use a scepter and a foci instead. Tridents are completely useless other than the root skill. And spellbooks are a complete waste of time; super long CD and they aren’t even that amazing. I’d rather just summon a companion which will help me tank AND do damage. Or even use renewed focus and have a couple seconds of invulnerability. Spellbooks look good on paper but they are complete garbage in PvP and PvE.

Guardians are more of a ‘tank’ class than a heavy spellcaster. If Anet intended this class to be a heavy spellcaster, then they failed pretty badly cause it doesn’t feel that way at all. If they want us playing with the burning condition damage thus fitting the role of a “spellcaster”, then they should make burning stackable. 300 damage a tick is not exactly my cup of tea.

(edited by Tinboy.7954)

Posted by: Elidath.5679

Elidath.5679

You aren’t going to see anything remotely similar to a Druid. We have the Norn who can change form, they aren’t going to add a profession that mimics a racial ability. I can however see how a Dervish or Ritualist could use weapon mechanics other than a weapon swap, (Dervishes with stances of some sort and Ritualists with some sort of communing/spirit channeling kind of bar).

Rangers are kinda druids already, too.
Would like to see a charr explain how he became a dervish (aka a servant of the gods) xD

Posted by: KeybladeMaster.3148

KeybladeMaster.3148

Do you have a link for this?

Posted by: Kuthos.9623

Kuthos.9623

Would love a druid style class even if it ended up being similar to WoW

instead of elements to switch between you could have animals forms with various abilities

Weapons would determine the skills within those forms. Would be hard to do…and it’ll never happen.

But it would be epic if done right.

Posted by: Timbersword.9014

Timbersword.9014

We’ll likely see new weapons and class/weapon combos before we see new classes.

Cestus (fist weapons)
Great Axe
Halberd/Lance
Crossbow
(Giant) Shuriken (definitely a Cantha thing though.)

And that’s not considering that Anet could very well give classes access to currently existing weapons, like a Thief might get maces, an Elementalist might have access to one handed swords, and Guardians access to one handed axes. Of course, all three of these might just get fist weapons as well (brawler, Earth shaper and monk conceptually respectively.)

I would even say we may be more likely to see a higher level cap and an extra tier of traits. Not even half of Tyria is explorable, and I can’t imagine in today’s market Anet can get away with keeping us at 80 and constantly introducing even higher tiers of gear, or keeping it to as powerful as ascended gear indefinitely. I personally prefer a higher level cap to introducing higher tiers of gear anyway. There’s more customization in extra trait points and tiers.

If we do get a new class… well I wouldn’t be shocked if it was a third heavy armor class. Alternatively they could just have one of the Necromancer’s minor traits unlock heavy armor, if that’s even remotely possible, and rework how armor tiers work in general. Y’know… if I’m wearing heavy and don even a single light piece, I’ll find myself wearing only that light piece of armor. RPers would be very grateful for this functionality.

FlamingFoxx.1305

Uhh link please. If this exists I’m going to start dancing around my room like a madman. I would be willing to kill all of my characters (except my Elementalist because he is <3) to have a Rit

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

I wouldn’t mind seeimg some sort of Swashbuckler or Rogue class. Capable of wearing leather or chain maybe. Dual rapiers etc…

Thief just doesn’t quite fit that bill. Thieves remind me of more like an Assassin class.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

FlamingFoxx.1305

-snip-.

When you point a finger at someone else there are always two pointing back at you…
It is a matter of opinion as to whether or not there are more possible classes.. GW2 covers almost every niche. GW1 ended up with a total of 12 professions and GW2 sought to contract that number and combine a lot of the mechanics into a smaller number of classes while still retaining those that really made GW Prophecies what it is.

Most other “classes” that you could add to the game would be superfluous. Yes people would get excited by the notion of a new profession, but because the GW2 professions already cover a lot of the bases newer professions would probably ending up seeming a bit ridiculous. Not to mention the issues that come with balance. Anet learned from GW1 that when you have a ton of professions and a ton of skills balance becomes a huge issue. They’ve already made comments about that and used it as a reason for the reduction in professions and skills from GW1.

The OP got excited by the idea of Ritualists because they were a much loved class from GW1. Not entirely necessary because the mechanics do exist in game with the Necromancer, Engineer and Guardian. But as I just pointed out there is no ONE class that does what the Ritualist did, or with such visual flare. Don’t be so rude when discussing something that is entirely a matter of opinion.

Posted by: Halanna.3927

Halanna.3927

So I’m looking for news on this because I’m selfishly hoping that the devs are NOT spending time working on new professions. :P

I agree with you. So many other things to spend the Dev time and money on than new professions. They aren’t needed. Content though, is needed. Horizontal content.

Posted by: Icarus Pherae.4680

Icarus Pherae.4680

-snip-.

When you point a finger at someone else there are always two pointing back at you…
It is a matter of opinion as to whether or not there are more possible classes.. GW2 covers almost every niche. GW1 ended up with a total of 12 professions and GW2 sought to contract that number and combine a lot of the mechanics into a smaller number of classes while still retaining those that really made GW Prophecies what it is.

Most other “classes” that you could add to the game would be superfluous. Yes people would get excited by the notion of a new profession, but because the GW2 professions already cover a lot of the bases newer professions would probably ending up seeming a bit ridiculous. Not to mention the issues that come with balance. Anet learned from GW1 that when you have a ton of professions and a ton of skills balance becomes a huge issue. They’ve already made comments about that and used it as a reason for the reduction in professions and skills from GW1.

The OP got excited by the idea of Ritualists because they were a much loved class from GW1. Not entirely necessary because the mechanics do exist in game with the Necromancer, Engineer and Guardian. But as I just pointed out there is no ONE class that does what the Ritualist did, or with such visual flare. Don’t be so rude when discussing something that is entirely a matter of opinion.

counts fingers you don’t happen to be an asura?

FlamingFoxx.1305

counts fingers you don’t happen to be an asura?

Yeahhh, so perhaps I meant three, It’s morning here and I’m not quite fully awake yet
Let’s just say I’m a Skritt (I personally find them far more adorable than the Asura).

schizandra.4587

Wow! I hit a nerve apparently. I have to confess I didn’t read that particular angry wall of text beyond the first sentence. I’m mainly just interested in news or even rumors of what people have heard from ANet regarding new professions, if any.

Before launch at a convention (dont remember which) the devs were asked about new professions in expansions. And if i recall correctly they said that new professions were unlikely, and would rather expand current professions with new weapons (Johanssen actually hinted strongly towards Battleaxes).
This was a lopng time ago tho so they might have changed their mind.

They video of the panel should be on the Arenanet youtube channel.

Thanks! That’s pretty much the kind of info I’m looking for.

Still would love to see a link to that article with a GW2 Ritualist. Mainly to see if it’s legit.

Posted by: ShadowMaster.5708

ShadowMaster.5708

Personally i would love something a long the lines of an archer or something… We got a ranger, the only class that comes close to archer, but its based to much around the pet… I would love a pure archer, maybe with crossbows or something aswell.

Posted by: ADFX.6179

ADFX.6179

IDK man. I think they need to introduce a genuine farmer class to make good use of that magic find gear while running around Orr for sell-ables and salvagable rares. They could have an entirely new weapon set like shovels, rakes, and exploding chickens. For utility they could have “node portal” to hop around to various gathering sites at random. Thirty minute cool down. Not only would it balance the regular players with the hackers, add a player economy instead of a company one, and allow people the main they seem to really want based on what they have to do in order to do other things, but it would … Eh, I forgot what I was going to write as exploding chickens are cool. As long as they don’t smell like a lingering fart that is.

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

I heard from a dude that heard from a dude that knows a guy on the inside that said long time fans might soon see a profession that never came to be that was originally going to be in an expansion that only kind of sort of happened.

Summoner or Chronomancer? O.O

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

Posted by: Azjenco.9425

Azjenco.9425

The only thing I can possibly see is some form of arcane heavy fighter. He can be ranged and melee, or somewhere in the middle. What sets him apart would be some sort of augmented fighting style. Where his skills are focused on spells that enhances his prowess. Now it could be tricky, because this profession needs to balance skills to adapt his fighting style. In other words, use your skills wrong, or not at the right time, and you’ll be open and exposed.

Maybe this can be the GW2 version of the dervish…

(edited by Azjenco.9425)

Posted by: Tauril.8504

Tauril.8504

The devs are trying to learn from the mistakes they did in GW1. All professions that were added on top of the first ones although they had very cool concepts had more and more trouble finding their place in the metagame, with the Paragon probably being the ultimate example of this. Part of the reason why they moved from Utopia to a new game is because the two new profession were going to continue this trend even more, and make the metagame even more instable because of the issues with secondary professions (which, although very cool too, made balancing a nightmare).
With GW2 they adopted a much more careful approach, and spent so much time defininf their professions, ruling out those that were not distinct enough and fusioning overlaping ones that any lore-fitting archetype is pretty much covered.
So, adding new professions would really be extremely surprising. Adding skills and weapons to expand archetypes and cover some gameplay niches however is very logical and pretty much (un)officially announced if I remember well.

Adding new races is much more plausible, but even for that I hope they use the same careful approach : not adding things just for the sake of having some punch-line for a wow-like trailer (like “we’ve increased the level cap and created artificial new content (again…) !” ), but because it actually fit the lore and add an interesting archetype that wasn’t already covered in some way.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I’m all for the return of dervishes..but not sure if they’d fit in GW2.

Posted by: badger.9321

badger.9321

I would love to have a rit in guild wars 2. I miss weapons spells and spirits. I would be very happy if they could be added into gw2 without breaking the game.

schizandra.4587

+1 for farmers and exploding chickens. Brilliant!

From YouTube: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r4xQITFhYAU
“We kind of went with the 8 professions because we think that… it’s enough to cover the really important archetypes for players. Each one has its distinctions and we try to keep them distinct in that way…” ~ John Peters

This was part of an answer to a player’s question (last one asked in the vid) about whether professions will be gear locked. This doesn’t specifically say that they won’t be adding new professions, but still, the mention of 8 professions covering the important archetypes suggests that ANet is comfortable with the professions that they have.

I couldn’t find that video that Khaine was referring to where Colin Johanson talked about expanding the current professions and that new ones were unlikely. If anyone has a link to that video, please post it!

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

You can’t reliably reference GW1, so far they’ve ignored everything from it

I doubt any other proffs will be added but if they did, it would suck unless it’s a healer.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

I wouldn’t mind seeimg some sort of Swashbuckler or Rogue class. Capable of wearing leather or chain maybe. Dual rapiers etc…

Thief just doesn’t quite fit that bill. Thieves remind me of more like an Assassin class.

The classes in GW2 cover a much broader spectrum of archetypes than in any other MMO I’ve ever seen. The thief for example can be an assassin on one end of the spectrum, but a skull-caving thug on the other end, or a lithe and finesse duelist somewhere in the middle.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

The classes in GW2 cover a much broader spectrum of archetypes than in any other MMO I’ve ever seen. The thief for example can be an assassin on one end of the spectrum, but a skull-caving thug on the other end, or a lithe and finesse duelist somewhere in the middle.

The Thief seems rather redundant to me. The Mesmer can (and pretty much does) contain everything that defines the Thief and so much more. It’s like…. if the Thief was combined with the Mesmer and another 8th profession was added, there would be no real loss.

schizandra.4587

Until Mesmers can steal and use initiative, I can’t agree with the above statement. Maybe I don’t have enough experience w the 2 professions, but the only thing I can see as similar between the two is shadowstepping for the Thief and teleporting for the Mesmer.

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

A Soldier profession that combines dark magic with heavy armor.
Sort of a dark guardian.

Instead of buffs to allies and protections, lifetaps and conditions…

Necros on heavy armor? =P

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

I’m really sad that the ritualist is likely not to get included in gw2. Even if they make it the weakest profession, if it stays true to the spirit (pardon the pun) of the character in gw1 , I would’ve played gw2 forever.

The ritualist and mesmer, I think, set GW1 apart from the other games. I haven’t played any game that felt similar to them. I don’t think the real essence of the professions were translated very well in GW2 (assuming guardian/engineer are the new ritualists).

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

(edited by Leo Paul.1659)

Posted by: Zestus.2931

Zestus.2931

i always main heavy classes in mmo’s and i think to fill the three classes niche, it might be cool to have a class whose special mechanic revolves around spellcast times.

what i mean by this is that it might be interesting to have a class who has two forms: a channel form and a blast form.

in the channel, the damage would come from slow DoT’s that add mostly supplemental damage in the downtime from:

the blast form, which is basically a bunch of useful and high damaging attacks. this mechanic would include things like tactical evades, (maybe a mind control?? i love mind controls), grabbing, support bubbles, etc spread among the various weapons. basically what i mean is like… have 1 be your standard smack spell, 2-4 be high damagers, and the 5th a special utility like i mentioned before.

my chosen name for this soldier class is currently the Archon

in terms of weapons and traitlines, the archon should have access to all three (magic, melee, and guns), but i envision him to be more of a jack-of-all-trades than a true support or dps

Posted by: Esperette.3784

Esperette.3784

I think there should most certainly be new professions of some kind. This would be a much better alternative to raising the level cap, which many have already displayed their dislike of on the forums. New classes mean new chances to level and everyone wins. Personally I love leveling, so i think new classes would be the best way to make everyone happy. The best part is leveling characters and unlocking the unique weapon skills, slot skills, and creating new unique builds. It would be a shame if they never released new classes! I have already leveled each of the classes and found a total of 4 that i enjoy enough to keep playing…..without new classes there is no sense of exploration left for people who feel the same as i do.
Also I have heard nothing from Anet on this topic but I hope they go with this over the alternative of raising the level cap.

Posted by: lanedraex.3691

lanedraex.3691

I really need a new profession, I don’t really enjoy playing any of the current ones, and I made like 2 of each and lvled them to around lvl 20 or so just to give up later. Only thing I could take past lvl 20 was a thief that went up to 40 and now I’m having a little fun with a warrior, but mostly because of how many passive skills they have.

I would like to see some new professions like a duelist wearing light armor and focused on single targets with lots of bleeds, cripples and vulnerability skills that could only equip small weapons except dagger (swords, small bow, axes) with the desing of a very fragile profession, but also very tactical (not a glass cannon), that revolved around getting in and out of combat constantly switching between targets that get too far from their friends (it would be a mix of warrior and thief).

Or a heavy armor spellblade like profession, that uses swords and magic at the same time, capable of enchanting his weapon to apply different conditions (a mix of ele and warrior).

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

I really need a new profession, I don’t really enjoy playing any of the current ones, and I made like 2 of each and lvled them to around lvl 20 or so just to give up later. Only thing I could take past lvl 20 was a thief that went up to 40 and now I’m having a little fun with a warrior, but mostly because of how many passive skills they have.

There are eight professions in the game, each capable of multiple play styles. If you tried them all and didn’t like any, then perhaps it’s the game you don’t enjoy? This game, like any game, isn’t going to appeal to everyone. I don’t know that a new profession will give you the satisfaction the existing eight couldn’t.

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

I would like to see something similar to Final Fantasy’s time mage, red mage and summoner. Mesmer has one or two time effects, but that style is underdeveloped. Elementalist could probably be a red mage, if given a sword or a fencer.

Also, certainly, a dark knight for the third armored profession! It could have some risky mechanics that involve health sacrifice, not very different from necro’s but used in a different way; and it could take some notes from the dervish. The dervish was a very individualistic profession, compared to the paragon’s party-driven gameplay, and while paragon involved shouts, chants and many kinds of party support (like the guardian), the dervish revolved more around self-boons, life-stealing, etc. A dark knight could inherit those effects, get the chill effect (as opposed to guardian’s burning) and perhaps, to make it more distinct from guardian, have stronger long-range options over melee (but of course, fans would expect them to at the very least get some strong melee).

If guardian is flavored as a party support/ defensive profession that can be specced for more damage or more control; and if warrior is flavored as a berserker that is mostly about burst; the dark knight could be a profession mainly focused on control and solo/ egoist tactics, with damage and party support left to optional specs. It would be – to make it more distinct from warrior’s and guardian’s control, a profession with plenty of condition control. Keep in mind that I’m talking about condition control, not condition damage – a necro has both, a dark knight would have several specs that would mix direct damage with chill/ weakness/ vulnerability/ etc, and maybe even poison and torment (but no burning, no bleeding, no confusion).

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

Although part of me pines over the loss of Ritualists and I know a lot of others feel the same about the Dervish.

People seem to always overlook the mechanics of the professions when talking about the lack of ritualist in GW2…

Ritualist mechanics:
1. weapon spells – add a unique special effect to normal attacks, e.i. a buff.
2. bundle spells – summoning unique ashes that yield special effects while held, and other effects when gained, or dropped. (swapping?)
3. spirits – stationary units that exert special effects in a wide area, such as attacks, buffs, or control mechanics.

Engineer mechanics:
1. Elixirs – abilities that grant special effects to normal attacks and/or passive temporary buffs.
2. Weapon kits – bundle items which grant unique attacks while held and other effects or buffs when gained. (again, swapping anyone?)
3. turrets – stationary units that exert special effects in a wide area, such as attacks, buffs, or control mechanics.

Any differences between ritualist and engineer are superficial at best. Considering this, the only way they would bring a class in to the game called “ritualist” is if it were completely different from the one we knew in GW1, because there’s already a class that functions that way.

darkace.8925

Although part of me pines over the loss of Ritualists and I know a lot of others feel the same about the Dervish.

People seem to always overlook the mechanics of the professions when talking about the lack of ritualist in GW2…

Ritualist mechanics:
1. weapon spells – add a unique special effect to normal attacks, e.i. a buff.
2. bundle spells – summoning unique ashes that yield special effects while held, and other effects when gained, or dropped. (swapping?)
3. spirits – stationary units that exert special effects in a wide area, such as attacks, buffs, or control mechanics.

Engineer mechanics:
1. Elixirs – abilities that grant special effects to normal attacks and/or passive temporary buffs.
2. Weapon kits – bundle items which grant unique attacks while held and other effects or buffs when gained. (again, swapping anyone?)
3. turrets – stationary units that exert special effects in a wide area, such as attacks, buffs, or control mechanics.

Any differences between ritualist and engineer are superficial at best. Considering this, the only way they would bring a class in to the game called “ritualist” is if it were completely different from the one we knew in GW1, because there’s already a class that functions that way.

Right you are. People don’t want to accept the fact that the enigneer is the spiritual successor to the ritualist. Thematically, they’re as different as night and day. Mechanically, they’re not that different. True, they’re not exactly the same, but none of the professions are exactly the same as they were in GW1.

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

Right you are. People don’t want to accept the fact that the enigneer is the spiritual successor to the ritualist. Thematically, they’re as different as night and day. Mechanically, they’re not that different. True, they’re not exactly the same, but none of the professions are exactly the same as they were in GW1.

Yeah… I miss the theme of the ritualist as much as the next guy. I miss my build where I would summon Destructive was Glaive ashes, dump some strong lightning spells, run in and drop the ashes for a cool looking aoe lighting bomb. The whole lightning thing was fun and cool looking, but mechanically it’s the same as using the Bomb Kit. I’m more in to the magical roleplay. It feels strange playing a thief, ranger, or warrior. I think it’s that feeling that people miss, and the sad part is they won’t get what they want because of a mechanics thing.

Posted by: ikiturso.4026

ikiturso.4026

Why an earth make new professions when alot need to be fixed in old ones. GW2 has right amount of professions. Just add traits and skills for more variety.

Posted by: Dan.2940

Dan.2940

Well, they could do this…
Heavy – Paragon
Medium – Dervish
Light – Ritualist/Monk

(Also, has anyone else noticed that at the weapon/armor vendors in WvW there is a mannequin wearing dervish armor? Could be a hint that they will be coming back)

| Siynn – Lvl 80 Thief | Jaata – Lvl 80 Engineer |
| SmitĂȘ – Lvl 80 Guardian | Arraxie – Lvl 80 Ele |
Ehmry Bay

darkace.8925

Well, they could do this…
Heavy – Paragon
Medium – Dervish
Light – Ritualist/Monk

(Also, has anyone else noticed that at the weapon/armor vendors in WvW there is a mannequin wearing dervish armor? Could be a hint that they will be coming back)

Paragon is dead. It’s been cannibalized by the warrior and guardian, and I doubt it’s every coming back. I don’t know enough about the dervish, so I can’t speak to it. Ritualist and monk, like the paragon, have been incorporated into other professions. And even if the monk did return, it wouldn’t be the healer you remember/long for.

Posted by: Riss.1536

Riss.1536

Instead of new classes, I’d like class promotions a little like Fire Emblem.