What's the point of 1 shared inventory slot?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zenith.6403

Zenith.6403

I think that Anet has a problem understanding the scale of some things. At the moment they are selling a single shared inventory slot in the gemstore for 700 gems. What am I going to do with one shared inventory slot? Moving stuff between characters is a wholesale process:

- Ascended armor pieces (6)
- Ascended trinkets (6)
- Ascended weapons on some cases (1-6)
- Gathering tools (3)
- Salvage kit (1)
- Food and oils (2)
- Siege weapons (2+)

When I’m moving stuff between characters I need to swap all of that and I need a good amount of bank space for it. That means I won’t buy your 700 gem shared inventory slot ever, but I might consider buying 700 gem shared 20 bag slot. Get it right or you keep losing business.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

It’s main purpose is for shared equipment.
Put a salvage-o-matic in that slot and say goodbye to disposable salvage kits forever on all your toons
Likewise for all the permanent “summon trader/bank/whatever”, teleport to airship etc etc.

The ability to transfer between characters is a secondary benefit really. If you don’t like the price, don’t buy them. They are not compulsory. I bought 5 and I’ll probably buy the other 5 when I have accumulated enough gold. HoT owners have been given one for free in the last update.

Incidentally, they were on sale not so long ago. About 20% off iirc.

Posted by: Rinn.2375

Rinn.2375

I think that Anet has a problem understanding the scale of some things. At the moment they are selling a single shared inventory slot in the gemstore for 700 gems. What am I going to do with one shared inventory slot? Moving stuff between characters is a wholesale process:

- Ascended trinkets (6)
- Gathering tools (3)
- Salvage kit (1)
- Food and oils (2)
- Siege weapons (2+)

When I’m moving stuff between characters I need to swap all of that and I need a good amount of bank space for it. That means I won’t buy your 700 gem shared inventory slot ever, but I might consider buying 700 gem shared 20 bag slot. Get it right or you keep losing business.

You can’t put armor, trinket or weapon in it if it’s soulbound.

Ad astra per asperas

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Ascended equipment isn’t soulbound.

Zenith.6403

It’s main purpose is for shared equipment.
Put a salvage-o-matic in that slot and say goodbye to disposable salvage kits forever on all your toons
Likewise for all the permanent “summon trader/bank/whatever”, teleport to airship etc etc.

Yes, but that’s the purpose of the bank – to swap items between characters. With 1 shared inventory slot I have two options:

1. Put salvage-o-matic there and miss out on switching permanent gathering tools, food, armor, siege bluprints etc.
-or-
2. Just use the bank to swap all the things I need swapped.

I’m going to use the bank option every time and not buy 1 shared inventory slot.

Posted by: Rangelost.4857

Rangelost.4857

I got one for my Mystic Forge Conduit.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

I think it’s a fair price for a convenience item, and it’s something that has been requested repeatedly. Given that they sell infinite gathering tools at 1000 gems a pop, and an equivalent, non-infinite, item can be purchased by nearly every vendor one encounters in the wild, the 700 gems per inventory slot seems like a comparable value.

Giving one away demonstrates the convenience and will likely entice some purchases. I use the slot for my salvage-o-matic, and I am extremely pleased with it. With that being said, of course I wouldn’t mind if the price were lowered! I just don’t think it’s as unreasonable as you’re suggesting it is.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

You got it so that you will be tempted to get more. I have six now and I have them for mining tools, home instance and SAB jukeboxes :P ascended armor would be (18) not (6) for me as I play with all classes but most my characters has their own armor.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

and what would be the point in buying bag expansions or having 20 slot bags if you could simply buy a 20 slot account wide inventory slots?

its ment for a few convenient items that you can usually use on all characters at any ponit. Such as salvage kits, gizmos and such…

Posted by: kurfu.5623

kurfu.5623

You got it so that you will be tempted to get more. I have six now and I have them for mining tools, home instance and SAB jukeboxes :P ascended armor would be (18) not (6) for me as I play with all classes but most my characters has their own armor.

Can you gather with the tools in the shared slot, or do you still have to equip them first?

Posted by: TheMagickDoll.7594

TheMagickDoll.7594

I cannot figure it out either. If it was a slot for a shared bag, maybe, but just one slot? 700 gems? You are out of your mind. I really thought it was one shared bag slot, not.. just one slot. That would be worth the gems. Though, I guess, thanks for the one free slot?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I use my (purchased) slot for my Terrace Pass. Greatest thing ever. Easy access to the bank from anywhere.

I haven’t decided what I will put in the extra slot, whenever I finally decide what to do with the L80 Boost.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Can you gather with the tools in the shared slot, or do you still have to equip them first?

You have to equip it first. So equip a normal set of tools on your character before logging off so swapping is a simple double-click. And remember to take the tools off the character before logging off, especially if there’s any chance you’ll delete that character.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Let’s see, I have:
1. Copper Fed Salvage O Matic
2. Mystic Salvage Kit
3. Celebration/Birthday Boosters
4. Magic Find Foods
5. Magic Find Halloween Potions
6. SW Shovels
7. SW Keys
8. Pact Crowbars
9. Magic Carpet Ride
10. Terrace Pass
11. Empty

I honestly could use another 5 though so I could add more boosters/black lion consumables.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Taxidriver.2043

Taxidriver.2043

what u need is share perm bank access express

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

1 copper-o-matic
2 infinite gathering tool
3 infinite logging tool
4 infinite mining too
5 pact crowbars
6 – still have the boost in it
7 – not settled on what is going to go here
8 – sometimes it might be shoves
9 – sometimes it might be chak acid
10 – depends what shared activity by 9 80s are going to do next
11 – boosters or food to go with 7-10. Will vary depending on any all-alt activity

This isn’t about swapping armour. This is about taking a bunch of alts into TD to map or do events or round VB. So annoying when you’re on character 3 and surrounded by airship cargo and no idea where all those crowbars are. Meanwhile character 8 is weighed down by 180 crowbars and has no idea that character 3 could really do with them.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

It’s where i put my flying carpet or magic broom stick. It’s the perfect place.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

To be a free 700 gem gift to HoT players to otherwise house a free insta-80 thing to play around with on all your pre-80 alts till you find one you might fancy?

If nothing else, it’s an entire set of free exotic armor of your choice + jewels and various foods I think.

That said to directly answer the OP, you’re probably better off buying them as sets VS one at a time.

They have a better value that way. Unless you already have so many that you can only buy them in singles.

Then, well…

Posted by: emkelly.2371

emkelly.2371

u use mine for my salvage o matic

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

I think that Anet has a problem understanding the scale of some things. At the moment they are selling a single shared inventory slot in the gemstore for 700 gems. What am I going to do with one shared inventory slot?

Oh they get it. They give you on for free and then next you know you buy all ten. Now why would you. Simple its cheaper to do that then buy multiple copies of convenience items like Salvage-o-matics and Royal Terrace passes and the like. Not to mention if you get any of the permanent contracts, or if you are WvWer with all your siege.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Zenith.6403

That said to directly answer the OP, you’re probably better off buying them as sets VS one at a time.

No. Read my post. I want to swap all of the necessary items, not just one or two of them. These things are not divisible, like you can’t divide ownership of a cat by slicing the cat in half and giving the halves to different people.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

I think people are missing the point of this thread. It has nothing to do with the free shared slot given out with the Level 80 boost. The OP is saying that selling one shared slot is pointless, and/or that 700 gems is too high a price for a single slot.

All I can say is, they must be doing okay business with it or they’d reduce the price / put it on sale more often. It might seem a little high to an individual, but they’re the ones with sales records to actually make that call with.

As far as usefulness goes, I can think of plenty of uses. I might not put a full set of ascended armor in there, but I’m unlikely to be swapping that around a lot between characters with different builds, anyways. Personally, I keep tonics in there, any of which would be perfectly happy with a single slot, or a mystic salvage kit. It’s for things I want access to all the time. When I want to swap things around, then I’ll just use the bank.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

No. Read my post. I want to swap all of the necessary items, not just one or two of them. These things are not divisible, like you can’t divide ownership of a cat by slicing the cat in half and giving the halves to different people.

I did.

And you can if you dedicate the entirety of the shared slots for that purpose between an alt with the same armor class.

If you mean like for 30 alts or something, sure, that’s not feasible.

If however you use a shared slot for something like a permanent bank access item, then you get closer to what it is you might be trying to do.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I use it for the HoT keys.

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

yes it would be nice to have an entire 20 slots so that i could have an easier time moving entire sets of gear around, but these slots are far more useful for (expensive) single slot items that can be used by every alt at once — copper fed, perma tp/bank/forge/vendor, airship/terrace pass, makeshift perma gathering tools, toys/tonics, food.

i wouldnt use 20, because i dont have an entire invisible bag worth of the same stuff on every toon. i dont frequently move entire ascended gear sets because every toon wants something a little different out of their gear set, so to transfer a set means something more permanent to me because i would feel bad about having weird runes/sigils/stats, and id rather just build another set for the new toon. my bank is sufficient for moving all of the stuff at once.

youre thinking about this as if its a replacement for the bank, but its not, its a replacement for the 3 or 5 loading screens you would get just to bring 2 toons to the bank to move around the items every toon needs but you prolly only have 1 of.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

I’ll be using it as a way to try to slowly cure my hoarding problem, one BL consumable at a time.

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

I originally only bought the single one because I wanted all my characters to utilize my home portal stone… cutting my traveling expenses in half.

That’s the only one I would have gotten, except…

… I had the bright idea that I could put my perma gathering tools into them and free up inventory space on all my characters. So, I bit the bullet and bought 3 more.

If I were like some people in the forums who claimed they had perma gathering tools on all their characters, then I wouldn’t have bought the additional 3. So, I’d still be at 1 (now 2 ’cause of the boost).

I do think they are very expensive for what you get… but because GW2 doesn’t charge a monthly subscription, I like to spend a little money each month on gems… to me it’s like I’m paying a voluntary subscription that gives me bonus stuff. This time the stuff was my shared inventory slots.

~EW

(edited by EphemeralWallaby.7643)

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

1- Permanent Captain’s Airship Pass
2- Copper-Fed Salvage-o-Matic
3- Silver-Fed Salvage-o-Matic (Not the most cost efficient alternative, but I don’t care)
4- Instant Repair Canisters
5- How to Dance
6- 80 LvL Booster (I have already 1 toon for each proff at 80. Don’t know yet what I’m going to do with this)

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

Mines going to my perma hair sytle kit:)

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

A simple answer to the original question: the usefulness of a single slot depends on what you have available to put there. Do you own a permanent bank access express? That shared slot is the most awesome thing ever. Do you own a salvage-o-matic? Still pretty good. Tarrktun personal delivery portal? Sign me up!

Posted by: kurfu.5623

kurfu.5623

You have to equip it first. So equip a normal set of tools on your character before logging off so swapping is a simple double-click. And remember to take the tools off the character before logging off, especially if there’s any chance you’ll delete that character.

Thanks for the info. That’s a deal-breaker for me.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Thanks for the info. That’s a deal-breaker for me.

Is it?

No account bound slots, and you want to share one set of tools among multiple chars
1) go to map that has bank access
2) run to bank
3) unequip tools
4) put tools in bank
5) character select and switch chars
6) go to map that has bank access
7) run to bank
8) take tools out of bank
9) equip tools
10) go to map of choice

Versus
1) open inventory
2) click on tools
3) character select and switch
4) open inventory
5) click on tools
6) go to map of choice or stay where you are

I find the second set much faster and more convenient.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: arrayano.8401

arrayano.8401

The price for the shared inventory slot is actually fair when you consider the reason of its existence.

The reason Anet made these new slots is for those players complaining about the convenience items from gem store (gathering, salvaging tools, etc..) not being so convenient when you had to spend time transferring those items between characters, or that buying many of the same to avoid the transfer lose the value of the item.

Because buying one of these convenience items can be a loose for money depending on how much time you will invest in the game, so buying several of the same just to avoid the time spent transferring is even worse and that’s why Anet made these new slots, so you don’t have to buy several of the same convenience items and the benefit of these items has higher value now that you don’t have to spend time transferring them between characters. Considering you are avoiding the “necessity” to buy several of these items then the price seems fair.

I also wish they were cheaper, and certainly it seems crazy expensive for those players that don’t own these convenience items and just want to use it to transfer food or equipment. But the price set for the new slots was made in mind for the players like me that bought more than 1 full set of gathering tools just to avoid the time spent on bank, I have 3 main characters I play so that’s 3 full sets of gathering tools and in other words 3.9k gems I could have saved if they had released this sooner, and there is more than just gathering tools just as everyone here has mentioned all the items from gem store that they use in these new slots and they are now saving gems and/or time thanks to it.

TL;DR – The new slots were never meant to be for transferring equipment or food (although you can use it for whatever you want), but rather to give more value to the gem store items and hence why they seem to be expensive.

Sorry for my English, I hope what I said makes sense.

Posted by: wetwillyhip.7254

wetwillyhip.7254

- Ascended trinkets (6)
- Gathering tools (3)
- Salvage kit (1)
- Food and oils (2)
- Siege weapons (2+)

Are we seriously scraping the barrel here of finding things to complain about?

Not everyone in their right mind wants to buy shared inventory slots in bulk.
It’s a preference.

What’s the point of this thread other than to complain? You already have the option to buy them single and in bulk. Maybe some people don’t spend money on loads of gems so they buy one slot as they earn the gold to convert to gems?

You said “Get it right” ? No, your opinion isn’t the “right” way to solving this “issue” you’ve created. I am put off by this post and the fact that there’s a whole thread about it.

(edited by wetwillyhip.7254)

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

1) Salvage Tool
2) Buff Food/ Potions
3) Infinite Gathering Tools
4) Infinite Bank Access Contract (if you arel ucky to own such a thing)
5) Infinite Mystic Forge Tool
6) Legendary/Ascended Weapons that are shared between Classes
7) Infinite Style Change Contract (if your are a lucky person to have such a thing)
8.) Toys (Stuff like Carpet, Fun Boxes ect, How to Dance)
9) Ascended Material Eaters
10) Currency Converters
11) Instant Repair Canisters
12) Gemstore/Black Lion Tools like Teleport to Friend
13) Black Lion Keys
14) Lvl 80 Boosters (Class Tester Tool)
15) Home Portal Stone
16) Permanent Airship Pass
17) Chest Openers (Chak Acid & Co.)
18.) Shovels

and so on..

theres so much useful stuff in this game, that you’d need tons of shared inventory slots to have access to all the useful thigns for all your characters at any time without ever needign to change ever again between charakters or having to run to the bank chest ect…. more stuff, than we can have currently even shared inventory slots , whyever theres again some kind of limitation sadly

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I think that Anet has a problem understanding the scale of some things. At the moment they are selling a single shared inventory slot in the gemstore for 700 gems. What am I going to do with one shared inventory slot?

So don’t use it to move stuff.

Here’s my list of the most useful items for a single inventory slot:

• Bank Access Express (ideally: permanent) — access to the bank means you can move everything (if using the one-time use version, be careful never to press <escape>).
  • Copper-Fed Salvage-o-Matic: everyone salvages with every toon.
  • Watchwork Mining Pick: the only infinite-use pick that helps recoup some of its cost.
  • Favorite gizmo, tonic, or other toy (is there any place in the game that isn’t more fun with a Box o’Fun? any traveling that isn’t more joyful with a Magic Carpet?)

Obviously, more slots is more better [sic]. That’s why the gold:gem ratio spiked each time ANet has increased the number of available shared inventory slots (from 0 to 5 and again from 5 to 10 or 11, depending on if you own HoT).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Lobo Dela Noche.5127

- Ascended trinkets (6)
- Gathering tools (3)
- Salvage kit (1)
- Food and oils (2)
- Siege weapons (2+)

to tease you into buying 5 more. Its still not enough slots but that’s obviously where their thought process is

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The annoying thing about these slots for me is that I found I had to consciously remind myself that I can change what’s in them at any time. At first I was really hesitant to put anything in there because I wasn’t sure what was the best choice.

If I only had 1 I’d probably use it for revive orbs. I never have enough for all my characters and never seem to be carrying them when I really want them.

But I saved up my gold and bought 5 right before the free one was released, so at the moment I’m also using them for my quaggan tonic, toy sword, kite, bank access and the ley energy matter converter.

I will probably use them for passing around the infinite tools once I’ve gotten rid of all the Wintersday ones I have.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Silas Eorth.7348

Silas Eorth.7348

Sometimes, I really think that people are looking really really hard for things to kitten about. If you have no intentions to purchase any shared slots, then why kitten about them? For those of us who salvage tons of stuff, they’re great. Especially if you have a salvage-o’matic tool.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I bought 1 when it appeared for my personal bank contract, which was a -really- usefull buy, I now use the second so I can put stuff in it and use it without needing to find it back in my inventory (food for example)

I have my 14 bank tabs available to all characters…
so I gave my 20 toons 420+1 (thank you for that 1 free slot A-net ) shared slots now…

I stack anything, not needed in inventory, in bank nowadays.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

to tease you into buying 5 more. Its still not enough slots but that’s obviously where their thought process is

You would prefer that they simply don’t offer the option of one slot? If they only sold 5-at-a-time, someone else would be complaining that ANet forced us to buy a bundle.

If one free slot isn’t useful to you, don’t use it. I’d personally prefer to have 20 or even 30, but I can’t afford that many, so I’ll just make do with the few I have for now. It’s been a huge boon to me to have any, allowing me to spend much more time playing the game (and less time managing my inventory).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

Get it right or you keep losing business.

Would it be better for A-net to have given out nothing?

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Always a hoot when people complain about options on things. If you don’t think the 1 slot is worth it, don’t buy it.

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

I own 5+1 cause I can afford them. They are overpriced and it’s something that should rub everyone the wrong way as an obvious money grab.

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

I only have 5 slots; unable to log in due to no internet hehe but when I do I’ll be buying max (11) Shared Inventory Slots, and would gladly buy more if ANet ever applied a new cap on the limit.

They are incredibly convenient, and for your typical average player only having 1 then I would probably stick a Salvage Kit of some kind in there, permanent or not it is very convenient!

So far what I have and plan to chuck in:

• Perm Bank Contract
  • Perm TP Contract
  • Tarraktun Portal Merchant (not sure how to spell it’s name!)
  • Captain’s Airship Pass
  • Mystic Forge Conduit
  • Cat Tonic
  • Food
  • Utility Food
  • WvW Blueprint of choice, probably rams or catas
  • Boosters
  • Salvage Kit of choice

I recommend portal devices or even Teleport To Friend items in case things get sticky!

I think you shouldn’t brush off or question the 1 Slot ANet gave to players who’ve bought HoT, OP… It is a convenience item and other players out there are very grateful to have even one of them. You will find something to put in there eventually. Play the game for a while without anything in there and soon enough you’ll know what you need.

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

- Ascended trinkets (6)
- Gathering tools (3)
- Salvage kit (1)
- Food and oils (2)
- Siege weapons (2+)

How do you know that having 3 options for purchasing the shared slots is “wrong and losing them business”? Some people won’t use those to swap. Someone might just want 1 for a perma bank access. Guess that makes swapping extremely easy AND, they only need to buy 1 then.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

There are two purposes for the 1 shared slot all HoT players get.

1) It uses an existing mechanism, that of shared inventory slots, to hold the 80 boost so there is no way a player could delete it by deleting a character before it is used.

2) It’s the first hit for free. Now you may complain that one slot is useless, but it’s not if you have one the unlimited passes to either the airship or terrace or a coin-fed salvage kit. Quickest way to multiply the usefulness of a convenience item like this.. And if you think one is useful, then maybe you will buy more and gem shop purchases makes the wheel go round at ANet.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Mine still has my 80 boost in it…. i have no use for it, but cannot remove it…

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I have 3 shared slots for the following:

1) Captain’s Airship Ticket
2) Salvage Kit
3) Home Recall

Seriously, if you swap all of your armor across all of your characters, we’re talking about you having to unequip everything anyway. Is it SO terrible to 2click an airship ticket then unequip everything into your bank, then swap characters, 2click airship ticket, then equip from bank?

Because that’s SUPER convenient. If you need MORE convenience you’re just lazy.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: SakuraJD.4720

SakuraJD.4720

yeah i put my permanent bank stone in there. i used to have to put it inthe bank and swap each character next to a bank to pull it out, but now, i have bank access almost anywhere. still cant use it in some places, like during pvp matches or inside of SAB, but i suppose thats ok, given those two places dont need bank access all that much. with the free one i got from HoT, i put my perm merchant in there. so now i can bank AND sell anywhere. if i ever got a third, i’d try to get the TP merch, then i wouldnt need cities ever again.