What's the point of Guild Level?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: maniamsmart.7981

maniamsmart.7981

What’s the point of it? Is it just to time gate guild mission slots, because that’s what it seems like. You can’t really gain any experience for your guild level over time from doing anything other than upgrading your guild, and the only way to upgrade your guild, you need a certain guild level. Seems kind of redundant since you need pre-requisites for upgrades anyway.

Posted by: Unloveableone.6082

Unloveableone.6082

What’s the point of player levels?
Is it just to time gate content, because that’s what it seems like.

Posted by: maniamsmart.7981

maniamsmart.7981

What’s the point of player levels?
Is it just to time gate content, because that’s what it seems like.

Well yeah, but I just don’t get the point of guild level. I mean, it could have worked just without guild levels too. The experience you get towards guild level ARE the upgrades. And the upgrades ARE the prerequisites.

You can’t upgrade Y until you upgrade X. Just seems kind of redundant to add a level requirement on it too. Then again my guild is only level 3 and we just got our guild hall so maybe I don’t understand it all that well.

The way I am thinking of it is like this:

Upgrade A so you can upgrade B and C. Upgrade B and C so you can upgrade D. That is a prerequisite system.

Be level 2 to upgrade A, be level to 3 to upgrade B and C. Be level 4 to upgrade D. That is a level system.

Aren’t they both the same. That’s what I mean by redundant, because both of them are in the game.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

What’s the point of numbers, man, all they do is count up or down . . .

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Yalora Istairiea.6287

Yalora Istairiea.6287

It is kind of like the NPE, but for Guilds. NGE if you will.

A new content direction system is being implemented to point guilds towards level-appropriate content. This is intended to provide more structure for guilds that need a guide.
Unlocking of guild gameplay systems have been layered along the level progression.

So as with players experiencing new content, I believe ANet felt that a more formal learning curve structure was the way to go; it seems they just applied the same process to guilds experiencing new content.

It all comes down to the KISS principle: “most systems work best if they are kept simple rather than made complicated; therefore simplicity should be a key goal in design and unnecessary complexity should be avoided.”

Posted by: Jocksy.3415

Jocksy.3415

Guild level also go up with player activities, not just with upgrades.
I believe my guild was somewhat level 7 when we claimed our hall.

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

It is kind of like the NPE, but for Guilds. NGE if you will.

A new content direction system is being implemented to point guilds towards level-appropriate content. This is intended to provide more structure for guilds that need a guide.
Unlocking of guild gameplay systems have been layered along the level progression.

So as with players experiencing new content, I believe ANet felt that a more formal learning curve structure was the way to go; it seems they just applied the same process to guilds experiencing new content.

It all comes down to the KISS principle: “most systems work best if they are kept simple rather than made complicated; therefore simplicity should be a key goal in design and unnecessary complexity should be avoided.”

Wow, a more formal learning curve, and unlocking is layered along a level progression?
Why not just say they made the grind longer?

Personally I believe they figured they could make more money by charging core game players for storage space by eliminating the ability to have a guild bank. They had to make a replacement for HOT. Being able to make the grind longer was just an added bonus for them.
KISS is easier and easier, the more players you eliminate from having a guild and the fewer guilds there are.
Yes, I remember the NPE or NGE that killed off Star Wars Galaxies.

(edited by Tumult.2578)

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

It’s to make the system less rigid.

You need level X to do upgrade Y, which basically says “you need 2 tier 2 buildings before you can upgrade a building to tier 3”

This is in contrast to a purely tiered system that puts out in a situation where the entire system works like the beginning bits, telling you specifically what to upgrade, or a system where you can completely ignore certain upgrades and max out just one.

They don’t want you upgrading, say, the mine to max level without having to have some other upgrades spread around, but they also don’t want to tell you specifically what upgrades to do. The guild level system exists to add choice to the process while still requiring some sense of overall advancement requirements rather than fully freeform “let’s completely ignore this one building”

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

It’s to make the system less rigid.

Sounds half like a “tech tree” setup

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.