What's up with the night/day cycle?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Calavera.1086

Calavera.1086

I don’t get it. Sometimes I’m in Divinity’s Reach and it’s sunny, then I head outside to Queensdale and the night falls in the blink of an eye.

Is it random?

Posted by: Vzur.7123

Vzur.7123

cant tell if its client-side, or server side, but if its server-side, it could be that overflow servers can be on different cycles.

Posted by: gwapojosh.6428

gwapojosh.6428

What Vzur said is correct.. Your server and the overflow servers are on different cycles.

Posted by: Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

No, it’s not random…just not well designed.

I’m fairly convinced after playing the game a few weeks that the day / night cycle was a last minute afterthought. Or, it was one of those things that was added sometime at the start by some programmer on Friday night that just wanted to go home for the weekeend.

First, almost nothing reacts like its night. The animals, the people, the sounds, the creatures…they all go about thier lives like nothing is happening.

Secondly, the difference between night and day are virtually nothing. Night is way, way too bright, and does nothing to set the mood. There is no transition from day to night at all. No dusk, no dawn, no red skies, nothing, just POOF.

Thirdly, when traveling around the map, the game often puts you into an overflow server. These servers, for whatever reason don’t have a synced day / night cycle, so often you’ll be jarred between the two.

I’ve made a few posts on the day / night cycle and weather before, but I suspect ANet won’t say much about them. I think they were so excited with implementing their new heart / dynamic system, that they just overlooked how it works in practice.

I really hope they address this. Adding a day / night cycle that actually changes the game would go a long way to keeping this game alive and fresh.

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Here is the post I started about the weather / day / night cycle.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Let-s-talk-about-the-weather/first#post77216

It was locked down for the reason that ANet didn’t think there was room for anymore discussion…which is the same thing as saying, “thanks for the suggestions, but we don’t really have any intention of changing it.”

Posted by: Anev.6215

Anev.6215

With all the details they put into this game they sure fell flat on this one. As they are more than aware, the tiny details truly make things pop. Why they skimped on this is odd. I’d like them synced up and to have better transitions with darker nights (as someone else mentioned above).

Posted by: xerukm.9256

xerukm.9256

There’s a night/day cycle? I don’t think I’ve noticed anything other than sunny since I started playing on launch.

Korukm – Guardian
Serukm – Mesmer

Posted by: Gilgamesh.2561

Gilgamesh.2561

If you play WvW all the time you’ll realize the day/night is fairly cyclic.

Posted by: Lexxx.2143

Lexxx.2143

i didnt realize there was a day/night cycle until after a week or so. i was upset cuz i didnt notice any diff or not too much weather either.

day/night could def use some love

Posted by: Gathslan.1870

Gathslan.1870

I havent seen anything strange yet, are you guys sure its not because of overflow?

Overflow has different time than your server, so when you go to overflow chances are itl go from day to night. Ect.

Posted by: souldonkey.9534

souldonkey.9534

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Let-s-talk-about-the-weather/first#post77216

It was locked down for the reason that ANet didn’t think there was room for anymore discussion…which is the same thing as saying, “thanks for the suggestions, but we don’t really have any intention of changing it.”

Butthurt much?

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Butthurt much?

Nope, I feel fine…you?

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Thank you for posting this. I was quite curious if it was just an overflow issue or just lazy programming. I’m saddened to see its the latter.

Posted by: Shroom Mage.9410

Shroom Mage.9410

GW1 didn’t have day/night, and nobody seemed to notice. With the way it works (or doesn’t) in GW2, they might as not have it at all. It just feels so sloppy, especially compared to the level of detail the game otherwise has.

I think what happens is that when an instance is created, it sets the time of the instance to the default time (possibly noon). In the case of overflows, using such a system ensures they will always be out of sync. In the case of main server maps, I suspect (since the engine is built off of GW1) that maps only exist when there are players in them. When the first player enters a map, the time on that map is set to the default time.

It seems like a simple fix to me, but then again, typos are also a simple fix, and we know how low on the list of priorities they are. This risks being what’s known to QA as a “known shippable”, which simply means they don’t consider it worth fixing.

“Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don’t matter
and those who matter don’t mind.” -Dr. Seuss

Posted by: DirtyHoudini.2917

DirtyHoudini.2917

Weather and Night/Day seem poorly executed

Posted by: Corian.4068

Corian.4068

First GW game was like the video, in that some zones were day and some zones were night. There were no day/night cycles in that game, though.

Perhaps GW2 is similar in that some zones just don’t cycle?

Hit level eighty
Priorities, what to do?
Spend hours with dye

Posted by: Gathslan.1870

Gathslan.1870

@Corian They do cycle, i guess i just been lucky or just having too much fun and didnt notice the sudden changes in time though

Posted by: Katai.6240

Katai.6240

I’d rather not have any events based on a day-night cycle. It would essentially lock me out of certain events because I logged in at the wrong time of day. I don’t get to play much (maybe 30 minutes a day), so I’m not too keen on waiting for the sun to come up to do stuff.

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

I’d rather not have any events based on a day-night cycle. It would essentially lock me out of certain events because I logged in at the wrong time of day. I don’t get to play much (maybe 30 minutes a day), so I’m not too keen on waiting for the sun to come up to do stuff.

Would you like dynamic events to have an on / off switch as well? For the majority of us who play more than 30 min at a time, having a night cycle where the world is slightly different would be a welcome change I suspect.

For me, one of the games biggest flaws is that everything is available, all the time. The world is jam packed, and every square inch seems filled with something. For me, this is overwhelming and unrealistic.

Having a proper night cycle where the NPC’s go to bed, different creatures come out, and different events take place allows the game to space everything out a bit. It also, if done right, allows the gameplay to shift slightly to keep it fresh and fun.

Having a proper night cycle would mean players get two games in one. It means that players must consider the world and what effect it has on them. For example, if I’m going to head out and infiltrate a camp, I need to consider what time of day is most appropriate. If I’m a thief, then operating under the cover of darkness may be a good idea. If I’m a warrior, then making sure I can see my enemies head on may be a better advantage.

It also means players need to be aware of what’s happening in the world. Most of us run around by ourselfs without regard because we know there is really nothing to be afraid of. Imagine if night meant that finding a travel buddy was advantageous. As the long shadows and orange sky of dusk descends on the land, you may consider actually communicating with someone as you both know it’s mutually beneficial to travel together.

It also means that players might actually choose not to go out at night…which would be awesome. Maybe it’s just more fun to hang out in a tavern, trading stories and items until dawn breaks.

I dunno, there are so many possibilities for interesting and dynamic gameplay if the devs would just take the chance. Is, “everything must be available to everyone at all times” mentality, while practical from a rush to level 80 standpoint, doesn’t allow the players to experience a world where the world actually matters.

I for one want to interact with the world I’m playing in. I want time of say, season, weather, and the landscape to give me unique sets of challenges. I want to experience the feelings and excitement that come with a world that forces me to think.

Sorry, I’m typig this at 5:00 am so please excuse the rambling.

Posted by: Vzur.7123

Vzur.7123

Funny thing is, the discussion wasn’t going in circles at all. Everyone was just agreeing, until the mod shut it down..?