What's up with the sound in GW2 since HoT?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rukia.9860

Rukia.9860

Q:

I can’t hear any NPCS unless I’m basically making out with them face to face, maybe it’s just me but idk I thought voices used to be ‘global’ where I’d hear them even if facing a certain direction.

It’s extremely annoying and there is nothing I see in-game in the setting that can fix it. I may as well just listen to music because I’m relying on sub-titles to understand what’s going on anyways.

Posted by: sazberryftw.3809

sazberryftw.3809

A:

I know what OP means. There are a lot of NPCs with terrible attenuation radius. This is a basic skill that whoever does this in GW2 obviously can’t do or doesn’t bother to refine.

In the HoT story, they made it so you can walk super far and hear them, but it then suddenly cuts out.

In the new zones it’s very noticeable on those musicians in Verdant Brink at (I think) Faren Flyer’s WP.

| Lithia |

Posted by: Ignigknawt.7869

Ignigknawt.7869

O_o

I haven’t had any such issues and I’ve had HoT since launch. I would recommend writing a support ticket and/or making a post in the game bugs/support forums.

“Many times I’ve wondered…how much there is to know.”

Posted by: Annonrae.3681

Annonrae.3681

Going to ask the obvious here, but have you tried fiddling with the slider in Options → Sound Options → Dialogue Volume?

Posted by: Scoundrel.2139

Scoundrel.2139

It’s a known bug: go to the Gemstore and buy the Sound Update for HoT. 2300gems :P

Veni, Vidi, Victa.
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit, Altum Videtur

Posted by: Enko.6123

Enko.6123

I’ve had a similar issue where it feels like my center channel is missing. I can hear NPCs if I turn away from them so if they’re to the side or behind me but not if they’re directly in front of me.. Always thought it was just an issue with my sound card settings and I never bothered to really troubleshoot it since it didn’t bother me that much.

Posted by: Rukia.9860

Rukia.9860

I know what OP means. There are a lot of NPCs with terrible attenuation radius. This is a basic skill that whoever does this in GW2 obviously can’t do or doesn’t bother to refine.

In the HoT story, they made it so you can walk super far and hear them, but it then suddenly cuts out.

In the new zones it’s very noticeable on those musicians in Verdant Brink at (I think) Faren Flyer’s WP.

Ugh this sucks! Any word from ANet on a fix? (lol)

I can barely hear my character at all and there is no way to fix the audio by positioning .. (it’s my character… I should be able to hear full sound regardless of what I’m doing, facing, etc.) seriously stupid since I was really excited for my characters actually speaking in HoT outside of cinemas.

(edited by Rukia.9860)

Posted by: Nidarrock.5692

Nidarrock.5692

I’m going to agree that something has been “off” with the sound since HoT, in general it seems less full, like I’m listening to a cassette tape of the soundtrack. There is a difference in quality when listening to the theme during character select vs. the one on SoundCloud. The spot where it was most noticeable for me is during the Claw of Jormag. He is considerably more quiet than before, no sound as he flies around, and he whispers more than roars no matter where I stand. Big shame for he sounds awesome.