What to add from GW1 to GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shmyt.7430

Shmyt.7430

I will say that Guild Wars 2 is very different from Guild Wars 1, superior in most ways, but vastly different. There are things Guild Wars 1 did better and things Guild Wars 1 had that Guild Wars 2 should take or learn from, here is my list and I hope some of you add yours comment, etc. (gain a little traction and all that):

Mid-Sized PvP (think Jade Quarry, Fort Aspenwood or Alliance Battles, where it is objective based and discourages ’zerg’ing)
Guild Capes
Guild Vs Guild
Guild Halls (I see a pattern…)
Unique Dance Emotes for Different Professions
Hero’s Ascent
Many of the weapon and armour skins (though with the chaos and torment we are getting closer, good job on that one)
Useful NPC’s (seriously, what is with the npc attack speed? I get that I’m supposed to be the hero of the story but a lionguard or pact soldier attacking once every 5 seconds doesn’t feel like someone I want to save…)
Proper farming areas (though Anet doesn’t support the grind I feel like a few private instances like the old Underworld might be beneficial to some of us trying to catch up with the ascended equipment grind)

There are others I could add (like Heroes) but I am trying to limit myself to that which takes the least amount of work and doesn’t change basic fuctionality or any major game concepts.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

The guild capes. Definitely. I’d also like to see hirelings and heroes, but I don’t think the servers could handle it.

Maybe just one follower? Like a bannerman or something? I could go for that.

Gone to Reddit.

Shmyt.7430

The guild capes. Definitely. I’d also like to see hirelings and heroes, but I don’t think the servers could handle it.

Exactly, just something to offset the lone gatherer routine or just for those offtimes when your friends list is empty and guildies are all offline

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I think the useful npcs comment would address it. We saw improvements in the season 2 episodes with the biconics being a bit more useful – eg LAbyrinth kills quickening noticeably. It was perhaps GW1’s biggest selling point after the no sub, so improving the NPCs to be more like heroes&henchies for instances/dungeons could be an idea.

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

Dyeable Weapons
Celestial Weapons (not the stats, the skins.)

GW1 Armor and Weapon Skins in general…

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Zone vanquishing.

Posted by: niea.7504

niea.7504

I’d say Livia.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Zone vanquishing.

While I agree that something like this would be nice, it could never be in GW2.

Zones are not instanced and would create issues if players could. Enemies are spread out and absolutely no where as difficult as they are in GW1.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Zone vanquishing.

Zones are not instanced and would create issues if players could. Enemies are spread out and absolutely no where as difficult as they are in GW1.

Sit down and think some, really. You seem to be limiting yourself far too much.

ArenaNet got solo-instance technology that they use in personal story and living story instances. How hard can it be to make a solo-instanced map, with a little bit harder mobs in?

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

random combat tonic birthday presents (6th year)

arrows going further and dealing more damage based on your elevation above the target (really made manning the walls in fort aspenwood feel like you had a home field advantage!)

different dances for the genders.

teh sexeh armour

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Much of Anets design philosophy goes into keeping players together in the open world. Solo instancing for vanquishing open world maps is almost certainly never going to happen because it will split the the playerbase up too much. I suspect that is a big concern for them if they decide to open up the map to other continents.

Dungeon vanquishing I would see as a more achievable idea, but I doubt they will make them for solo players.

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

IF ANYTHING…

They need to throw out that junk traitline system and put in the gw1 attribute/skill system. I still don’t understand how this could misunderstand gw1 so badly that we ended up with this failure of a trait system.

On top of that. Build and gear set saving.

Devona’s Rest

Ayrilana.1396

Zone vanquishing.

ArenaNet got solo-instance technology that they use in personal story and living story instances. How hard can it be to make a solo-instanced map, with a little bit harder mobs in?

How much stress on the servers do you think there would be if you have entire maps instanced? GW2 maps and combat is nothing like in GW1 so this system would not work.

Posted by: Warlord of Chaos.7845

Warlord of Chaos.7845

Add gw1 mes. I don’t think anyone here would complain about that plus mesmers wouldn’t be as buggy as they are currently. Now in all seriousness, I really miss FA,HA,JQ, GvG, and guild halls. Many good times were had back then.

-Rylock [vE]
Retired.

Posted by: Sandpit.3467

Sandpit.3467

God realms. What happened to UW/FoW? And finally add the others while they are at it.

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Add gw1 mes. I don’t think anyone here would complain about that plus mesmers wouldn’t be as buggy as they are currently. Now in all seriousness, I really miss FA,HA,JQ, GvG, and guild halls. Many good times were had back then.

Let me join this game to:

Bring back mesmer from Gw1 (wish is impossible to interrup with same mechinics one player in blob lol).
Bring back Ranger Bows and bow damage mechanic from gw1 (best bow mechanic ever in any game)
Bring back capes if colision detection on cape wont lag the game like the rest o_O
Bring back Ele from Gw1 player need to choose with atunment they want instead of changed every time.
Bring back class balance from gw1 still better han gw2.
I would say Livia but she is alredy in GW2.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

How about Cantha?

Posted by: Sinbold.8723

Sinbold.8723

We have guild armor and weapons, and the clipping issues with capes have been spoken about before, so I really don’t think we’ll see capes ever in this game.

JQ and FA are specifically Canthan, but I’d love to see something similar in this game. My guildies and I have been together for 8+ years from GW1, and we recently took a break from the GW2 Wintersday to go to GW1 Wintersday and do some of the greatest quest ever in any MMO in the universe, Snowball Dominance. Our goal was to have a 100% survival rate among our NPC’s, and we got that a lot. We went over to JQ after that, and there were so few playing, we got on the same game 90% of the time. That reminded me of the main thing I miss from GW1:

Build Templates.

Ayrilana.1396

We have guild armor and weapons, and the clipping issues with capes have been spoken about before, so I really don’t think we’ll see capes ever in this game.

JQ and FA are specifically Canthan, but I’d love to see something similar in this game. My guildies and I have been together for 8+ years from GW1, and we recently took a break from the GW2 Wintersday to go to GW1 Wintersday and do some of the greatest quest ever in any MMO in the universe, Snowball Dominance. Our goal was to have a 100% survival rate among our NPC’s, and we got that a lot. We went over to JQ after that, and there were so few playing, we got on the same game 90% of the time. That reminded me of the main thing I miss from GW1:

Build Templates.

I did plenty of SD over the holiday. I probably could have gotten 100% NPC survival had I mained ranger and the necro hero actually stood in the ice fort the full duration rather than run off.

Posted by: Reanne.5462

Reanne.5462

I miss FOW. Where the hell did it go anyway? its the same continent isnt it?

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

I miss FOW. Where the hell did it go anyway? its the same continent isnt it?

FoW and UW had to be entered through magic portals(not Asuran). They, along with DoA, were magic planes of existence not unlike The Underworld in Greek and Roman mythology.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

P1:
It could work out as Map Event, that a Guild could start.
Goal would it be for all players on the Map to get to the point of having killed all Monsters on the Map at least once. There would start a Monster Hunter Counter then together with a Time Counter and so faster the Map gets cleaned by the players on the Map, so better will be the reward for everoyne on the Map that helped.

For Persistent maps thats the only way how Vanquishing will work in those kind of Maps.
Then there are Dungeons, Fractals and Living Story Instances, where a Vanquishing Mode could be added to give Players Extra Rewards, if they do their Runs will absolutely killing everythign in their Instance without any rushing, like for example doubling the amount of Dungeon tokens you get for the Path, doublign the amount of Gold that you get, giving Players at the successful end and extra reward Chest, that has increased chances for Ascened Weapon/Armor Chests and rewards players with T6 Mats and Lodestones once per Character/Day
—-

What I also miss from GW1 are Heroes for Stuff like Dungeons, Living Story, Fractals. Would be so awesome, if we could hire our own Characters from our Account as Heroes to take them with us in our Party and have as Party Leader for them then special commands with that you coud give them orders what to do, while their A.I. lets them act automatically meanwhile based on a FF12 similar gambit system that tells the a.I. what to do in which situation based on how you configurated it for the A.I.
Together with the option to change positions with your Heroes to take over manually the control of them at any time. God that would be so awesome Playing as your own full party of 5 of your own Accoutn Characters ^^

And then I miss the GW1 typical Buff Items, just cause of nostalgia I’d love to see them returning as crafting recipes.

Essence of Celerity – (Artificer) – 500 (Potion) (PvE only)
Drink the Essence of Celerity and you gain Quickness for 10s every Minute, your Movement Speed gets increased by 33% for the whole duration of the EoC (1h) and your Endurance Regeneration is increased by 50%

Armor of Salvation – (Armorsmith) – 500 (Potion) (PvE only)
Use the Armor of Salvation and you won’t receive Damage anymore, that is higher than 10% of your Max Health, your Equipment is unbreakable and you lose every 10 seconds a Condition plus you gain Health Regeneration for the duration of this Effect of AoS and your Boon Durations are by 20% increased (1h)

Grail of Might – (Jeweler) – 500 (Potion) (PvE only)
Use the Grail of Might and you will gain Might like as if you use a Superior Sigil of Strength in your Weapon, All your Stats will get increased by + 100, Conditions will last 20% shorter on you and your Conditions will last 20% longer on foes. These Effects will last for the Duration of 1h

Powerstone of Courage (Weaponsmith) – 500 (Potion) (PvE only)
Use a Powerstone of Courage and you will gain for using your Elite Skill Fury, Protection, Stability and Retaliation for the next 10s on top of the Duration, if any of the Elites should give you already these Boons perhaps. Boosts Healing Power and Ferocity by + 200 and decreases the Recharge Times of whole Skill Bar by 15%/Increases in case of Thieves their Initiative Gain by 15% for Weapon Skills and reduces just their other Skill CD’s by 15%.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

P2:

I’d love to see back “Summon Stones” also to be able to summon alot more of Creatures to your Help as temporary Allies, which coul be craftable from the Jeweler 500 by using Luck Essences together with Soul Essences (received from salvaging Ectoplasm Globs) and various Trash Loot from Monsters for example these Hot/Fire/Warm Stones from killing Fire Imps ect, put them together and you could summon with such a Summon Stone a Greater Fire Imp to your side for say 1 Minute or until it dies, helping you in battle with its own Skill Bar.
There could be Summon Stones then of various Qualities and Efficiencies:

Fine = Summon Stone = Can summon maximum 5 times a Creature, before the player needs to recharge its Soul Energy at a Skill Point for 5 SP
Creature: Red Ooze, Required Items to recharge the Soul Energy: Hot Stones
Master = Refined Summon Stone = Can summon maximum 25 times a Creature, before the player needs to recharge it.
Creature: Flame Elemental , Required Items to recharge the Soul Energy: Fire Stones
Rare = Shining Summon Stone = Can summon maximum 100 times a Creature until a Recharge is needed.
Creature: Greater Fire Imp, Required Items to recharge the Soul Energy: Warm Stones

From that point on Players could improve the Rare Summon Stone to an Exoctic Version, which would unlock the Summons full Skill Bar of the Greater Fire Imp and would increase the Charges to 250. (Mystic Summon Stone), done by puttign the Stone into the Mystic Forge together with some Materials, like Ectoplasm Globs, Augur Stones and Orbs of Dark Matter (New) from Jeweler 450
After that comes then one for Ascended, which would require the player to do for that Version a Scavenger Hunt to fulfill some Side Quests to get the Materials ect. to do the last Mystic Forging to get the Ascended Form of the Summon Stone, which would last eternally and wouldn’t required to be recharged anymore (Eternal Summon Stone), but comes therefore with a Limitation, that you can summon with these only once every 30 Minutes

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

God realms. What happened to UW/FoW? And finally add the others while they are at it.

The portal that Rytlock jumped into looked UW-ish to me, wonder if anyone else thought that?

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

This is a quote of mine from another thread but relevant here also:

The only way I’d even be open to “Raids” would be if they were done like in GW. FoW/UW was the best “raid” style instances I’ve played, followed by Urgoz’s, Deep, and DoA. The settings were great and if the entire group got to 60% DP you were kicked. This meant you had to complete the instance in one try but that you could try again(from the beginning) without any time lockouts.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

Do you remember those titles that you could get that actually came with character buffs? Like the Ebon Vanguard title/rank that gave you Rebel Yell. THAT I would like to see again in some way.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Mustbeghosts.7043

Mustbeghosts.7043

ARTHUR: We have ridden the length and breadth of the land in search of knights who will join me in my court of Camelot. I must speak with your lord and master.
GUARD #1: What, ridden on a horse?
ARTHUR: Yes!
GUARD #1: You’re using coconuts!
ARTHUR: What?
GUARD #1: You’ve got two empty halves of coconut and you’re bangin’ ’em together.

Posted by: tevoro.1587

tevoro.1587

Where to begin? UW/FoW, Sorrow’s Furnace, Crystal Desert, and Ring of Fire Islands would be the top of my list. Loved all of these places and would very much like to see what the current devs would do with them. Bonus points if UW/FoW/Sorrow’s are dungeons, and you know they could do that.

Shmyt.7430

Dyeable Weapons
Celestial Weapons (not the stats, the skins.)

GW1 Armor and Weapon Skins in general…

The skins were super awesome and OH MY GOD how did I forget weapon dyes?!? Purple Chaos Axe ftw!

Shmyt.7430

Zone vanquishing.

I would agree but they’d have to change so much to add it in i don’t think they’d ever consider it except as private instances, maybe a guild challenge for orr or something.

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

Build Saving System

Build Saving System

Build Saving System

Build Saving System

Build Saving System

The top 5 things I want from the next feature pack.

Shmyt.7430

IF ANYTHING…

They need to throw out that junk traitline system and put in the gw1 attribute/skill system. I still don’t understand how this could misunderstand gw1 so badly that we ended up with this failure of a trait system.

On top of that. Build and gear set saving.

Build and gear saving is essential and should be easy but I doubt we would see the attribute system because of the work it would take to get there, I’d love it back but it is a huge game change and I doubt they’d ever go for it.

Shmyt.7430

How about Cantha?

I have a feeling they are working their way to Cantha, maybe it’ll be the Living World chapter after next

Shmyt.7430

Do you remember those titles that you could get that actually came with character buffs? Like the Ebon Vanguard title/rank that gave you Rebel Yell. THAT I would like to see again in some way.

Yes. WvW has some of that in your level and abilities but I’d love say an inquest or dungeoneering one to speed things along since I’ve already proven my mastery of the area.

Shmyt.7430

I’ll take the clipping since every other armour on my guardian or warrior clips with something else (SHIELDS T_T)

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

Body block at least on wvw plz!
Multi profession
Acess to every weapons
HA
Fort Aspenwood

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

Shmyt.7430

Where to begin? UW/FoW, Sorrow’s Furnace, Crystal Desert, and Ring of Fire Islands would be the top of my list. Loved all of these places and would very much like to see what the current devs would do with them. Bonus points if UW/FoW/Sorrow’s are dungeons, and you know they could do that.

Unfortunately unless they retcon the lore or let us beat down Dhumm we can’t have UW/FoW but Crystal Desert should be manageable if they make Palwaka Joko’s forces the main enemy, Ring of Fire would need us to get all the Orrian stuff out of the way but come on, Trahearne has had more than enough time to cleanse the place.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Build Saving System

Build Saving System

Build Saving System

Build Saving System

Build Saving System

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Suggestion-Favorite-builds-button/first

7 months ago…

Shmyt.7430

Body block at least on wvw plz!
Multi profession
Acess to every weapons
HA
Fort Aspenwood

Need Body Block so mch! I feel that they might start expanding weapons if they add more professions but multiprofession is something that sadly they wanted dead and gone

Shmyt.7430

P1:
It could work out as Map Event, that a Guild could start.
Goal would it be for all players on the Map to get to the point of having killed all Monsters on the Map at least once. There would start a Monster Hunter Counter then together with a Time Counter and so faster the Map gets cleaned by the players on the Map, so better will be the reward for everoyne on the Map that helped.

For Persistent maps thats the only way how Vanquishing will work in those kind of Maps.
Then there are Dungeons, Fractals and Living Story Instances, where a Vanquishing Mode could be added to give Players Extra Rewards, if they do their Runs will absolutely killing everythign in their Instance without any rushing, like for example doubling the amount of Dungeon tokens you get for the Path, doublign the amount of Gold that you get, giving Players at the successful end and extra reward Chest, that has increased chances for Ascened Weapon/Armor Chests and rewards players with T6 Mats and Lodestones once per Character/Day
—-

What I also miss from GW1 are Heroes for Stuff like Dungeons, Living Story, Fractals. Would be so awesome, if we could hire our own Characters from our Account as Heroes to take them with us in our Party and have as Party Leader for them then special commands with that you coud give them orders what to do, while their A.I. lets them act automatically meanwhile based on a FF12 similar gambit system that tells the a.I. what to do in which situation based on how you configurated it for the A.I.
Together with the option to change positions with your Heroes to take over manually the control of them at any time. God that would be so awesome Playing as your own full party of 5 of your own Accoutn Characters ^^

And then I miss the GW1 typical Buff Items, just cause of nostalgia I’d love to see them returning as crafting recipes.

Essence of Celerity – (Artificer) – 500 (Potion) (PvE only)
Drink the Essence of Celerity and you gain Quickness for 10s every Minute, your Movement Speed gets increased by 33% for the whole duration of the EoC (1h) and your Endurance Regeneration is increased by 50%

Armor of Salvation – (Armorsmith) – 500 (Potion) (PvE only)
Use the Armor of Salvation and you won’t receive Damage anymore, that is higher than 10% of your Max Health, your Equipment is unbreakable and you lose every 10 seconds a Condition plus you gain Health Regeneration for the duration of this Effect of AoS and your Boon Durations are by 20% increased (1h)

Grail of Might – (Jeweler) – 500 (Potion) (PvE only)
Use the Grail of Might and you will gain Might like as if you use a Superior Sigil of Strength in your Weapon, All your Stats will get increased by + 100, Conditions will last 20% shorter on you and your Conditions will last 20% longer on foes. These Effects will last for the Duration of 1h

Powerstone of Courage (Weaponsmith) – 500 (Potion) (PvE only)
Use a Powerstone of Courage and you will gain for using your Elite Skill Fury, Protection, Stability and Retaliation for the next 10s on top of the Duration, if any of the Elites should give you already these Boons perhaps. Boosts Healing Power and Ferocity by + 200 and decreases the Recharge Times of whole Skill Bar by 15%/Increases in case of Thieves their Initiative Gain by 15% for Weapon Skills and reduces just their other Skill CD’s by 15%.

Dear ANET; all of this please!

Shmyt.7430

Build Saving System

Build Saving System

Build Saving System

Build Saving System

Build Saving System

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Suggestion-Favorite-builds-button/first

7 months ago…

I still petition for firefly to come back lol; I am not one to give up hope!

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

Build Saving System

Build Saving System

Build Saving System

Build Saving System

Build Saving System

7 months ago…

I’m not saying it’s never been suggested before, but thanks for your demeaning post. It is, however, the only thing I wanted out of the last feature pack, and it was never included. Disappointing. I would be very surprised if every feature in GW1 that was not translated to GW2 has not been suggested, somewhere, on this forum. That’s not the point of this thread though, is it?

It was an amazing feature in GW1 and I’d dearly love to see a system brought into GW2.

(edited by Sarie.1630)

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Build Saving System

Build Saving System

Build Saving System

Build Saving System

Build Saving System

7 months ago…

I’m not saying it’s never been suggested before, but thanks for your snarky post. It is, however, the only thing I wanted out of the last feature pack, and it was never included. Disappointing.

It was an amazing feature in GW1 and I’d dearly love to see a system brought into GW2.

The quote was from a dev post that they understood the need for templates and were “working on it”, yet 7 months passed and we still have no build templates. I made that comment as a “don’t get your hopes up, they discussed it 7 months ago but still nothing”

I think adding a system that only controls AT LEAST Traits (and skills) is the best addition and it shouldn’t be so hard to implement, even in GW1 items and builds were saved in different templates, so it makes sense to have multiple different templates in GW2

Posted by: Traced.3495

Traced.3495

ctrl+f “ritua”

Ritualist.

/flees

let the sky fall

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

I remember when Colin said in Manifesto “Everything what you love from gw1..” Looks like devs loved very different things then their player base:-)

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

Yes. WvW has some of that in your level and abilities but I’d love say an inquest or dungeoneering one to speed things along since I’ve already proven my mastery of the area.

Oh good point. In a sense WvW does have it already.
It would be nice to see similar rank systems setup for other areas of the game, as you said. PvE only though — I think PvP should remain untouched from this.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Shmyt.7430

I remember when Colin said in Manifesto “Everything what you love from gw1..” Looks like devs loved very different things then their player base:-)

They loved some vastly different things… let’s hope we ca convince them to love one or two more things again

Shmyt.7430

Oh good point. In a sense WvW does have it already.
It would be nice to see similar rank systems setup for other areas of the game, as you said. PvE only though — I think PvP should remain untouched from this.

Oh of course, pvp’s cornerstone is about setting everyone on an even playing field and that would ruin it but say being able to equip an inquest slayer track when I roll a new asura woul be lovely; i’ve shown the game just how good i am at wrecking them and their golems, I’d like it to reward me for that effort ^^

Posted by: Goose.8195

Goose.8195

Guild Halls, Capes, Build Templates, Alliance Battle sized pvp, HA, GvG (didn’t play it much but watched it a lot, which was awesome), hard mode dungeons with worthwhile loot, Named weapon drops off of specific monsters (I personally loved getting a weapon drop named after the monster i just killed), more dungeon specific loot that IS RNG (not just tokens), more useful skills (loved the large skill selection), elemental sword/IDS/eternal shield, Polymock, zaishen keys (or keys/lockpicks and chests in general. I was a chest mad man in GW1). Rollerbeetles

[BBN] Big and Beautiful Norns
You dont have to be one to love one.

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

Zone vanquishing.

I had 3 (in my opinion very good) ideas for vanquishing a long time ago…

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Suggestion-Vanquishing/first#post4146407

I really hold fast to my dungeon vanquish idea. I think it’s easily the best one and fits GW2’s game mechanics like a glove.