What use is a Healer's Chest?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: eekzie.5640

eekzie.5640

I’m doing a decent amount of fractals every day, to try and get as many armor chests as possible. And one thing boggles my mind a little bit. You’ve guessed it, the Armor Chest rewards.

The most pressing concern I have is with the Healer’s Chest.
This item will let you pick a specific armor piece (shoulders for instance) with the following stats:
Healing Power / Precision / Vitality
Healing Power / Power / Toughness
Healing Power / Toughness / Condition Damage
Toughness / Condition Damage / Healing Power
Vitality / Condition Damage / Healing Power
Celestial

So I already have a big issue with this armor chest. It’s focussed on giving you healing power, arguably the worst stat in game. And on top of that it doesn’t even give you the option to pick all the healing power armors.
Now what I don’t get is why they put an armor chest in game that specifically binds you to picking something that leaves you with such a terrible pallet of choices.

The whole same point can also be made for the Malicious Chest. It’s focussed around condition damage. Conditions in GW2 right now are very niche related, PvE wise. (Considering it is a PvE reward…). I don’t really see this as an issue, as it can still be useful.

I don’t get why you’re pretty much giving us subpar rewards.
Don’t give us a variety of items that are per definition less useful.

I’m not asking to just let us pick whatever we want, but the choices are just very poor right now.

Like really, what the hell am I going to use the Healer’s Chest for?

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

clerics can be used by eles/guardians for some wvw builds in guildraids/in the zerg

and the 2 condi dmg/toughness/healingpower

is good for some cheesy tank condi dmg builds for warrior for example

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

eekzie.5640

clerics can be used by eles/guardians for some wvw builds in guildraids/in the zerg

and the 2 condi dmg/toughness/healingpower

is good for some cheesy tank condi dmg builds for warrior for example

Yes, there’s probably a few occasions where it could be somewhat useful.
And at the same time other armors would be just as good or better for those situations.
Healing Power just does so excrutiatingly little for you. Which makes sense, you don’t want people to become invincible. But it doesn’t make sense to revolve a whole item into making you pick this stat.

Right now I feel like just throwing away the item and I can buy some exotic armor that will be better in at least 99% of the situations for me.

Posted by: IceVyper.6810

IceVyper.6810

After doing countless fractal runs for months I finally got my first ascended armor box. And it was healer’s….

Imagine the disappointment when I can’t figure out what to do with it, which poor alt to get stuck with it.

I am wondering what people do with their healer’s chests. Are they just using them as a placeholder until something better comes along?

I was planning on equipping a necromancer with all my unwanted chests, but that healing power stat seams like such a waste.

So, people, what stat combos do you choose from the healer’s chest and what classes do you give it to?

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

i see your point though
they should at least include zealots stats too then…

or just make chests where you can chose ANY stat combination

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

I use healer’s chests to unlock skins .__.

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

then take celesitial and give it to your ele

Posted by: Dakota.4591

Dakota.4591

Zerker is the PvE meta, yes, and all of these are worthless in PvE.

But, as mentioned, most of these can get some viable use in WvW.

Posted by: IllegalChocolate.6938

IllegalChocolate.6938

More on the side of pvp and wvw roaming, celestial stat combo is a fairly nice combination despite what people say. People like to use it in combo with strength runes in spvp, namely eles and engineers, various dps guard roaming builds use it as well, this mentality may transfer more into PvE depending on how the new content will challenge players and whether or not they crack down on LoS corner zerk stacking or not.

If we see more things like Liadri the concealing dark or more mai trin fights or just more things in general that require a greater level of balance, celestial stats generally tend to be favored since select builds suffer very little dps loss between berserker and celestial while gaining a lot more in return.

HINT: celestial stats is available in healer’s chests.

eekzie.5640

Mix and match has a way higher preference than celestial.

‘’Some viable use’’…
Just like running rare items has viable use.

And yes, zerker is the best for speedclearing. But a lot of the other armors serve their purpose. They don’t feel useless. Where I feel anything with healing power does.
I didn’t say I wanted the best for what I choose to play, I would just like some viable end-gear as an option. Not some scrappy place holder.

More on the side of pvp and wvw roaming, celestial stat combo is a fairly nice combination despite what people say. People like to use it in combo with strength runes in spvp, namely eles and engineers, various dps guard roaming builds use it as well, this mentality may transfer more into PvE depending on how the new content will challenge players and whether or not they crack down on LoS corner zerk stacking or not.

If we see more things like Liadri the concealing dark or more mai trin fights or just more things in general that require a greater level of balance, celestial stats generally tend to be favored since select builds suffer very little dps loss between berserker and celestial while gaining a lot more in return.

Because you use stats from your gear in sPvP how?
Yes, you can use celestial. Yes, it’s decent. But you might as well buy exotic gear that’s better.

HINT: I already mentioned celestial as an option in the first post

IceVyper.6810

I have an issue with celestial stats, because it can be obtained from the other types of armor chests. It still doesn’t give any decent use for the healer chest.

I would like to know if there actualy is a viable build, using healing power, without it being some temporary cheese build.

What annoys me a lot, is that an ascended armor box is a very rare drop that you keep on hoping for. And then you get healers…..

Posted by: Artasqweroldy.7458

Artasqweroldy.7458

I think i will just Accumulate a full Ascended Celestial-Set for my Engineer as a secondary Set for WvW and other stuff…

Humans arenĀ“t real

Posted by: Dice Dragon.4326

Dice Dragon.4326

I use healing power armor in dungeons sometimes. get turbo mad. You can clear as fast as you want, ill face tank my way to victory, skill is for scrubs. Being tanky and having healing power allows me to clear whether I make a mistake or not!

Posted by: IllegalChocolate.6938

IllegalChocolate.6938

Mix and match has a way higher preference than celestial.

‘’Some viable use’’…
Just like running rare items has viable use.

And yes, zerker is the best for speedclearing. But a lot of the other armors serve their purpose. They don’t feel useless. Where I feel anything with healing power does.
I didn’t say I wanted the best for what I choose to play, I would just like some viable end-gear as an option. Not some scrappy place holder.

Because you use stats from your gear in sPvP how?
Yes, you can use celestial. Yes, it’s decent. But you might as well buy exotic gear that’s better.

HINT: I already mentioned celestial as an option in the first post

I apologies for missing the Celestial note however I am confused by your statement of buying exotic gear that’s better.

To note, I use full on berserker in my builds in fractals, especially 50s. I will tell you that it’s not better per say but is a horizontal stat option that gives you different combat opportunities.

Mai Trin on 50 for example get’s face rolled by balanced builds. Liadri the Concealing Dark hits like a wet noodle while you can still do a great deal of effective damage against her even on higher gambits.

My comment in regards to Spvp is from a point of view of going toe to toe with your opponents in which damage needs to be handled intelligently along with the various utility skills that you have.

Case in point as well as speculation – What if the new content will force this type of environment?

Posted by: Evalia.7103

Evalia.7103

Healing Power is arguably the best stat in the entire game when it comes to zerging. People just don’t want to understand how actually helpful it is when you fight for MINUTES in WvW environment.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Every armor set does not have to be the best in every situation. Nor does every drop have to be a good one. That said, sometimes it seems to me that the odds are stacked against getting the stats one most desires on gear drops. A far greater problem, imo, with regard to the rare Ascended drops in GW2 is that if you get one that is not what you want, you cannot TP or salvage it.

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Every armor set does not have to be the best in every situation. Nor does every drop have to be a good one. That said, sometimes it seems to me that the odds are stacked against getting the stats one most desires on gear drops. A far greater problem, imo, with regard to the rare Ascended drops in GW2 is that if you get one that is not what you want, you cannot TP or salvage it.

I wouldn’t want to make it tradable, because there’s a good chance that by doing so, you’d make crafting a moot system.

IceVyper.6810

Another big issue for me is that first you have to hope for a drop, then that it has the right stats, and then that it is a piece that you do not already have.

I did witness someone get the same healer’s ascended shoulder box twice in a row.

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

..there was, I believe a cleric guard who solo’d ac spider without moving…. it’s on youtube.

took forever.

but it is viable …..if you’re not in a rush :P.
_

balance comes in pvp first, then WvW..and then pve, and because of this..alot of sklls/traits/stats are useless in pve. Without a major AI/mob overall, this won’t be changing any time soon.

eekzie.5640

I use healing power armor in dungeons sometimes. get turbo mad. You can clear as fast as you want, ill face tank my way to victory, skill is for scrubs. Being tanky and having healing power allows me to clear whether I make a mistake or not!

Even for that I would advice either soldiers or knights. Healing power scaling is just super lack luster.

I apologies for missing the Celestial note however I am confused by your statement of buying exotic gear that’s better.

To note, I use full on berserker in my builds in fractals, especially 50s. I will tell you that it’s not better per say but is a horizontal stat option that gives you different combat opportunities.

Mai Trin on 50 for example get’s face rolled by balanced builds. Liadri the Concealing Dark hits like a wet noodle while you can still do a great deal of effective damage against her even on higher gambits.

My comment in regards to Spvp is from a point of view of going toe to toe with your opponents in which damage needs to be handled intelligently along with the various utility skills that you have.

Case in point as well as speculation – What if the new content will force this type of environment?

I would rather buy any other type of exotic armor that does not have healing power, and use that over what this chest could give you. The only one where I feel that that’s not the case in celestial, but that’s only because that is very multi-use. It would still be a simple placeholder for when you get the gear you want.

And Mai Trinn on 50 dies like a wet noodle regardless of balanced gear. Same for Liadri. I get what you’re saying, but in those cases I would still highly advice knights or soldiers if you want more survivability. The healing power stat will not do much for you.

I don’t think it would be a very good idea if healing power ever takes a more dominant role. I actually think it’s in a good place now.

eekzie.5640

Healing Power is arguably the best stat in the entire game when it comes to zerging. People just don’t want to understand how actually helpful it is when you fight for MINUTES in WvW environment.

I would agree with you if healing power would actually do something.
I honestly don’t see the point of switching out vitality/toughness/power (pick any) for healing power.

Posted by: Dice Dragon.4326

Dice Dragon.4326

Actually it does, my build runs 1k healing power, which turns my bombs into 320~ heals a second instead of 150. tahts 320 healing a second for my whole team. it makes super elixer heal for nearly 50% more total healing. at 1k healing power you get close to doubling the effectiveness of regen. So healing turret(not bombing it) is applying ANOTHER 250 health a second to my team.

As someone said, the longer a fight goes on, the better healing is. think of it as EHP, if everything you do heals you for 320, then aslong as you are not full hp, its more hp. In this regard, if you are getting hit, healing is better then vitality. if you could have 320 hp/sec or 3k more hp, id take the regen. Cause in a fight that lasts longer then 10 seconds with you taking constant damage, the healing is providing much more bang for your buck.

The problem is, I think engie is the best healer in the game personally. Eles imo cd are tooooo long to heal well, same with guard. this is prolly why healing power seems weak, cause imo outside of engie, it wont do you much good.

As for needing heals or not, thats a whole other can of worms.

eekzie.5640

Actually it does, my build runs 1k healing power, which turns my bombs into 320~ heals a second instead of 150. tahts 320 healing a second for my whole team. it makes super elixer heal for nearly 50% more total healing. at 1k healing power you get close to doubling the effectiveness of regen. So healing turret(not bombing it) is applying ANOTHER 250 health a second to my team.

As someone said, the longer a fight goes on, the better healing is. think of it as EHP, if everything you do heals you for 320, then aslong as you are not full hp, its more hp. In this regard, if you are getting hit, healing is better then vitality. if you could have 320 hp/sec or 3k more hp, id take the regen. Cause in a fight that lasts longer then 10 seconds with you taking constant damage, the healing is providing much more bang for your buck.

The problem is, I think engie is the best healer in the game personally. Eles imo cd are tooooo long to heal well, same with guard. this is prolly why healing power seems weak, cause imo outside of engie, it wont do you much good.

As for needing heals or not, thats a whole other can of worms.

And at the same time there’s a lot more effective team heals, even without healing power. And I don’t think your build niche is enough to justify the Healer’s Chest.
And on top of that I wouldn’t chose it over vitality/toughness/power…

Same with healing power scaling on guardian dodges. It scales nice, but I would never choose healing power for that reason.

Posted by: VodCom.6924

VodCom.6924

And at the same time there’s a lot more effective team heals, even without healing power. And I don’t think your build niche is enough to justify the Healer’s Chest.

I understand you are talking about blasting a water field. Quoting the wiki :

When applicable, the stats of the character that activated the finisher are used to calculate the combo effects. This is most relevant to combos that inflict damaging conditions, as well as the healing effects of water fields.

As you underlined :

Same with healing power scaling on guardian dodges. It scales nice, but I would never choose healing power for that reason.

Now it’s up to anet to tweak numbers to make a nice scaling. Right now, the healing recieved from blasting a water field is enough and does not justifiy extra investment in healing power. This can (should) be changed.

Ideally it could hinder the dominance of zerker gear in the speed clear meta (with lots of reworking of some encounters, but this is an other topic).

Known as Reegar Else, Linda Else, Xiana Else and Thorgall Breakstone

eekzie.5640

I understand you are talking about blasting a water field. Quoting the wiki :

When applicable, the stats of the character that activated the finisher are used to calculate the combo effects. This is most relevant to combos that inflict damaging conditions, as well as the healing effects of water fields.

As you underlined :

Now it’s up to anet to tweak numbers to make a nice scaling. Right now, the healing recieved from blasting a water field is enough and does not justifiy extra investment in healing power. This can (should) be changed.

Ideally it could hinder the dominance of zerker gear in the speed clear meta (with lots of reworking of some encounters, but this is an other topic).

Point being is that they don’t want healing power to play a dominant role.
So that’s why I made this topic, as I don’t see why they would make a high end reward focussed on healing power.

Posted by: VodCom.6924

VodCom.6924

So that’s why I made this topic, as I don’t see why they would make a high end reward focussed on healing power.

I think the issue is more complicated. Making healing power a “dominant stat” is a huge risk of bringing trinity in the game (no reasonable person wants this in GW2).

I do however hope that some very specific (or niche) dungeons/megabosses will need a healing power oriented build to be completed (think of the husks with the 3 headed wurm).

An idead would be a rework of the claw of jormag, where the golems take damage from the blue snow and you have to heal them to bomb the dragon.

Known as Reegar Else, Linda Else, Xiana Else and Thorgall Breakstone

eekzie.5640

I think the issue is more complicated. Making healing power a “dominant stat” is a huge risk of bringing trinity in the game (no reasonable person wants this in GW2).

I do however hope that some very specific (or niche) dungeons/megabosses will need a healing power oriented build to be completed (think of the husks with the 3 headed wurm).

An idead would be a rework of the claw of jormag, where the golems take damage from the blue snow and you have to heal them to bomb the dragon.

I really think that would be a crappy idea…

Making healing power a more combat oriented (or more support oriented) stat would be a better option imo.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I wouldn’t want to make it tradable, because there’s a good chance that by doing so, you’d make crafting a moot system.

Which would greatly improve the game for those who think GW2 crafting is the equivalent of watching paint peel.

(edited by IndigoSundown.5419)

Posted by: Intuneric.7652

Intuneric.7652

its just funny how in a game where pve is focused on dmg and berserker gear you get loot that would hinder your dmg and progress through the very same content that it dropped from

from the hundreds whatever fractals i made praying for a berserker drop i already made 2 celestial armor sets and i dont even wvw so i have no use for them…

in the meantime thank you anet for making me farm 1500 dragonite + lots of gold and time for a damage set, obviously one makes fractals for fun and not for drops, and then again, have fun making fractals with people that use non berserker gear in it; its really fun to play with staff spammer clerics that didnt get yet what gear they should be using where

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

Thing is, believe it or not, people ARE different, individuals, and prefer diverse things. The “useless” gear stat combo may very well be totally cool with a player that likes using healing traits on their builds, which all Professions have to a degree of effectiveness. There are technically good builds that weren’t ever designed to be part of efficient speed runs. Therefore, for those people who don’t care about the meta, these rewards can actually be worthwhile, because they just aren’t playing the same game you do, even if it’s still GW2 PvE (and there’s nothing wrong with either speed running or taking your time.)

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

I agree with you, OP.

I shouldn’t feel insulted by the end of a FotM run but every single time, I do. The reward system for it is absolutely pathetic.

Posted by: Kibazuka.1390

Kibazuka.1390

..there was, I believe a cleric guard who solo’d ac spider without moving…. it’s on youtube.

took forever.

_

balance comes in pvp first, then WvW..and then pve, and because of this..alot of sklls/traits/stats are useless in pve. Without a major AI/mob overall, this won’t be changing any time soon.

Actually, not only without moving but with pressing only 1 as well.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fVAQJASWn0ARhQ2JEOCBBimIhgyc//H7MsiWcZAWAA-TRSDABO8AAMUJ4xHBAMuAAXq+TWK/A4QAonugU2fIAwBwv/mv/GY5lXe5lXun/95ff+5BB8N-e

And it can solo a whole lot more bosses than just spider queen

Ranger – Drakkar Lake[DE]
Full melee Ranger since August 2012

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

if i got a healer ascended armor box i will be excited and not able to sleep for the night. No matter celestial or cleric stat i have character can be of use. Even if the stat are not suitable for any of my character i am glad to unlock the skin as i really not interested to craft one.

Posted by: Scientia.8924

Scientia.8924

Correct, Healing Power used on yourself is completely underwhelming and possibly the least helpful stat of all. But Healing Power on an ele running water support in WvW battles is an absolute godsend for everyone else.

What if HoT turns out to be the Mordrem Invasion event, x100?

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

took forever.

_

Actually, not only without moving but with pressing only 1 as well.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fVAQJASWn0ARhQ2JEOCBBimIhgyc//H7MsiWcZAWAA-TRSDABO8AAMUJ4xHBAMuAAXq+TWK/A4QAonugU2fIAwBwv/mv/GY5lXe5lXun/95ff+5BB8N-e

And it can solo a whole lot more bosses than just spider queen

Thanks for finding it

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

You know what’s blowing my mind here?

Someone is still playing this game, expecting reasonable rewards for the time spent.

C’mon people. This is Anet. Anet doesn’t make rewarding games. They make grindy games.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.