What would Gwen have thought of Tyria in GW2?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Torvic.8256

Torvic.8256

(And I mean in-game, not whether she’d think the game still has some bugs the devs need to fix or whether the professions are nerfed or whatever)

Besides the sadness and melancholy felt every time my main visits Gwen’s grave in the Stronghold of Ebonhawke (his great-great-great-great… or however many “greats” there’d be in a 250-year timespan… grandfather met little Gwen in pre-Searing Ascalon, and later an emotionally-scarred Gwen some years later, after all) , I’ve wondered what Gwen would think and feel of the world as it is in the “present time” of GW2.

What do you all think?

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

She’d probably be a separatist.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Neb.4170

Neb.4170

She’d probably complain and whine about everything like she did in the first game.

Posted by: X The Manimal.5293

X The Manimal.5293

Something tells me she would not be accepting of Charr at all and I think this is something that ANet could and should capitalize on! Imagine if a descendant of Gwen was some sort of anti-hero. Wanting to do good for the remnants of mankind while being somewhat of a detriment to the peace negotiations between charr and humans. Noble hero with a tragic past. Love those kind of stories.

Though you could argue that Logan Thackery and Rytlok have this kind of thing going on, I still think that they could take it a darker route. GW1 had great dark stories.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

She’d probably be a separatist.

Heh “probably”, indeed…

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I don’t know. At the end of EotN, in the epilogue, she was pretty civil and even complimentary to Pyre. I think that she grew, to some degree from that experience. Mind you, that was prior to her going on to help found Ebonhawke, so yeah, I guess she might be a separatist at that.

I guess it would depend on whether she could see charr as individuals, instead of just “the enemy”. Pyre may or may not have helped her with that.

Posted by: Songarg.3657

Songarg.3657

Well, I logged onto my GW1 toon and went about asking Gwen what she would think… to my surprise her NPC dropped the group, and ran off to Ascalon. Taking Anton’s daggers and muttering somthing about starting a charr-skin rug shop…

And ironicly enough, @X The Manimal, Logan Thackery is Gwen’s descendant from 250 Years ago. With the marriage of Gwen and Keiran Thackery.

X The Manimal.5293

Well, I logged onto my GW1 toon and went about asking Gwen what she would think… to my surprise her NPC dropped the group, and ran off to Ascalon. Taking Anton’s daggers and muttering somthing about starting a charr-skin rug shop…

And ironicly enough, @X The Manimal, Logan Thackery is Gwen’s descendant from 250 Years ago. With the marriage of Gwen and Keiran Thackery.

Yah, that’s why I said ANet already has that going on with Logan. I just think they could still take it a step further the opposite way with maybe another descendant we didn’t know about? Idk. Just a thought hehe.

Posted by: WatchTheShow.7203

WatchTheShow.7203

Yah, that’s why I said ANet already has that going on with Logan. I just think they could still take it a step further the opposite way with maybe another descendant we didn’t know about? Idk. Just a thought hehe.

Logan had an older brother who hated Charr but died in battle against The Branded.

Posted by: Maximus Delion.8719

Maximus Delion.8719

I think she’d be pretty ticked that when the charr pressed up to the gates of Ascalon, Adelbern decided to rage-quit and take all his subjects down with him. I could see her view being “If the charr were to wipe us out, then so be it — so long as the last Ascalonian went down fighting. But our nation didn’t die at the hands of the charr. We died at the hands of our own king in a desperate, despicable and selfish act of cowardice.”

She’d be suspicious of the charr and the treaty, but not outright hostile toward them. She’d probably warn the Vanguard to keep an eye on the charr, in case they decide to alter the terms of the deal. But for now, working with them — at arm’s length, mind you — is the smarter tactical move. But when the Dragons are defeated, you better keep your blades out because humanity’s next threat could be the furball that’s been watching your back all this time.

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

I dunno, but they better not ever bring her back in Ghost Form. I really really DONT WANT TO KNOW what she thinks b/c whenever she thought something, she always verbalized it too. …Always.

She’s basically the Veruca Salt of JarJarBinkses

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

you assume she would live through the 250 years and see the world changing, and in 250 years i bet anyone can change his mind about things.

if she could be somehow revived now from the past, maybe she would be just shocked, before even notice the charr, about anything (especially mesmers themselves^^).

she could just chase flame legion as we all do and bless logan with his bromance for rytlock… i mean if she is still on her right mind, she could agree that dragons are a far worst enemy than some furry furballs with horns

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

you assume she would live through the 250 years and see the world changing, and in 250 years i bet anyone can change his mind about things.

if she could be somehow revived now from the past, maybe she would be just shocked, before even notice the charr, about anything (especially mesmers themselves^^).

she could just chase flame legion as we all do and bless logan with his bromance for rytlock… i mean if she is still on her right mind, she could agree that dragons are a far worst enemy than some furry furballs with horns

the asurans could always make a time machine, some accident happens and the gwen from the past comes through. creating a time paradox.

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

and as i said, she would be just shocked, so much is changed, and friendly charrs are everywhere, if she is not blind she’ll see the dragon menace and maybe she wouldn’t be a separatist.
(she witnessed the wake of primordius and the disappearance of dwarves to fight the elder dragon… and had a friend charr also!

besides his great grandson pretend to be in love with a queen while he is in love with a charr, everyone knows that…

edit: i think also the blaming a race because their ancestors from 250 years ago were “terrorist” isn’t a rational thought, not that i expect gwen to be rational since no npc seems to be anyway)

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

(edited by Amadan.9451)

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I don’t think Gwen would ever forgive the Charr given her personal experiences, but I think she’s wise enough to see that continuing the war would be bad for everyone involved. If nothing else, the Foefire should drive home the point of what obsessively clinging to the past can do. Gwen would probably maintain a vigil against the Charr in case they ever broke the treaty and attacked again (which is wise to do in any event. How many friendly nations do you know today who used to be fierce enemies? Or who were allies in the past but are now bitter foes?), but I think she’d appreciate the chance for some peace and quiet.

I was always disappointed that there wasn’t a Red Iris garden somewhere in Ebonhawke. XD

Torvic.8256

I just remembered that flute music can briefly be heard as Gwen’s grave is approached. No doubt the flute she played as a little girl pre-Searing Ascalon.

Posted by: Assyrian.4827

Assyrian.4827

she will lead the army of mini chubby Gwen to reclaim Ascalon.

Torvic.8256

Just imagine if the first thing Gwen saw in GW2 (either as a ghost or somehow transported through time from GW1) was her own grave and surrounding memorials in Ebonhawke.

Or perhaps a Living Story entry that eventually has Logan Thackery speaking to the ghost of Gwen much like how Gwen spoke to the ghost of her mother in Guild Wars: Eye of the North.

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

I don’t think Gwen would ever forgive the Charr given her personal experiences, but I think she’s wise enough to see that continuing the war would be bad for everyone involved.

That’s pretty much my thought as well. Our image of Gwen is coloured somewhat through most of our experiences with her being while she rages against the charr – she did, however, mellow a bit towards the end.

Another consideration is that the modern charr are very different to the charr Gwen knew. Gwen’s hatred of the charr was not unfounded prejudice – it was developed through hard experience of several years of captivity followed by acts she regarded as barbaric that were taken even by those charr she regarded as allies. The Iron Legion, however, certainly does not fit the description of “animals, savage animals” – it’s possible that a hypothetical ghost Gwen would recognise this and, while not happy about Ascalon being inhabited by charr now, rightfully regard the Flame Legion as being her true enemy.

Either way, I think she’d be proud that Ebonhawke managed to stymie the charr for two and a half centuries and eventually force them to come to the negotiation table – something that the charr regarded as unthinkable in Gwen’s lifetime.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Torvic.8256

I don’t think Gwen would ever forgive the Charr given her personal experiences, but I think she’s wise enough to see that continuing the war would be bad for everyone involved.

That’s pretty much my thought as well. Our image of Gwen is coloured somewhat through most of our experiences with her being while she rages against the charr – she did, however, mellow a bit towards the end.

Another consideration is that the modern charr are very different to the charr Gwen knew. Gwen’s hatred of the charr was not unfounded prejudice – it was developed through hard experience of several years of captivity followed by acts she regarded as barbaric that were taken even by those charr she regarded as allies. The Iron Legion, however, certainly does not fit the description of “animals, savage animals” – it’s possible that a hypothetical ghost Gwen would recognise this and, while not happy about Ascalon being inhabited by charr now, rightfully regard the Flame Legion as being her true enemy.

Either way, I think she’d be proud that Ebonhawke managed to stymie the charr for two and a half centuries and eventually force them to come to the negotiation table – something that the charr regarded as unthinkable in Gwen’s lifetime.

Would/could ghost Gwen’s hatred of the Charr be reignited if she encountered and spoke with GW2’s Ascalonian ghosts (or with any other ghost, for that matter), though?

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

/facepalm
My grandson went away from a dragon fight.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

I think Gwen is rolling in her grave.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Gwen would be one of those seps I slapped around in Ebonhawke.
Hey quick someone get that time Golem from the GW April Fool’s even running!
I have a plan.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

X The Manimal.5293

Would/could ghost Gwen’s hatred of the Charr be reignited if she encountered and spoke with GW2’s Ascalonian ghosts (or with any other ghost, for that matter), though?

Ooooh, I love this idea! I’m sure lots of those ghosts have some grim stories of how their family was slaughtered and how their homes were destroyed by the Charr. Considering Gwen hasn’t been around for the changes the Charr have made or the fragile peace talks, it would be very difficult to turn her back on her ancestor’s ghosts and not want some kind of retribution I think.

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

and as i said, she would be just shocked

besides his great grandson pretend to be in love with a queen while he is in love with a charr, everyone knows that…

edit: i think also the blaming a race because their ancestors from 250 years ago were “terrorist” isn’t a rational thought, not that i expect gwen to be rational since no npc seems to be anyway)

250 years is a long time.

There was no USA 250 years ago. That’s 1763 AD.
France Ceded Canada to the British Empire in 1763.
Prussia and Austria ended a 7 year war.
The British East India Company deposed the ruler of Bengal.
The British win a war against the Chippewas in what is now Michigan.
A year long slave uprising begins in the dutch colony of Berbice (Guyana).

The British declare an end to westward expansion in North America signing permanent treaties with several Native American nations (colonial resistance to this treaty is why the British later moved troops away from the border and stationed them inside the homes of people in NY and Boston).

Paxton Boys murder local Indians in their homes, in Lancaster, and then break into a jail where survivors were being sheltered to kill them as well – in response to the results of the war between the British and French.

- A whole different sort of world than today.

Nobody alive in ’today’s’ GW2 is even the great grandchild of a person from the GW1 era. Our current toons are as removed from those characters as we in the real world are from Thomas Jefferson, King George, George Washington, et all. Napoleon wasn’t even alive yet.

Imagine if Thomas Jefferson popped up today, and walked over to the White House… given what we know of his personal life…
- It could go any number of ways, but he would probably say a whole mess of stupid before he got sorted out.

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

Torvic.8256

Ooooh, I love this idea! I’m sure lots of those ghosts have some grim stories of how their family was slaughtered and how their homes were destroyed by the Charr. Considering Gwen hasn’t been around for the changes the Charr have made or the fragile peace talks, it would be very difficult to turn her back on her ancestor’s ghosts and not want some kind of retribution I think.

Not to mention what would happen if ghost Gwen also encountered the Charr ghosts who had died at around the same time.

Posted by: qewqew.6591

qewqew.6591

gwen has awakened and attacked flame legion mercilessly and wiped them out. due to this cof is now closed permanently. note this is not a nerf this is part of living story. we are now selling ectos and legendary mats in gem store as part of this living story update. we also have some new rng boxes for sale that contain ascended versions of the cof armor that are now not obtainable.

Torvic.8256

and as i said, she would be just shocked

250 years is a long time.

There was no USA 250 years ago. That’s 1763 AD.
France Ceded Canada to the British Empire in 1763.
Prussia and Austria ended a 7 year war.
The British East India Company deposed the ruler of Bengal.
The British win a war against the Chippewas in what is now Michigan.
A year long slave uprising begins in the dutch colony of Berbice (Guyana).

The British declare an end to westward expansion in North America signing permanent treaties with several Native American nations (colonial resistance to this treaty is why the British later moved troops away from the border and stationed them inside the homes of people in NY and Boston).

Paxton Boys murder local Indians in their homes, in Lancaster, and then break into a jail where survivors were being sheltered to kill them as well – in response to the results of the war between the British and French.

- A whole different sort of world than today.

Nobody alive in ’today’s’ GW2 is even the great grandchild of a person from the GW1 era. Our current toons are as removed from those characters as we in the real world are from Thomas Jefferson, King George, George Washington, et all. Napoleon wasn’t even alive yet.

Imagine if Thomas Jefferson popped up today, and walked over to the White House… given what we know of his personal life…
- It could go any number of ways, but he would probably say a whole mess of stupid before he got sorted out.

Great points!

Speaking of which, is there now a weird feeling playing GW1 knowing what Tyria will be like 250 years later regardless of what the player does?

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

when your hate a race its too hard to give up that hate. i always felt given half a chance she still would have knife pyre in the back if it wasnt for your char. i dont think she would be any different today. she would quickly go back into her hated for the charr. she had too much personal experience hating char something that will never leave her. separatist all the way for her

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

News flash!

Durmand Priory officials announced today that they have modified Asuran waypoint technology commonly used to restore recently deceased individuals to life. The modifications enable them to revive long-dead people, and the Human hero Gwen was the unanimous choice to bring back first.

From the site of her tomb in Ebonhawke, Gwen was briefed on events and changes since her passing nearly 250 years ago. When asked her opinion of the new Tyria, Gwen is reported to have said, “STILL no mounts?” At which point she gave a lingering scowl at her flat, calloused feet, climbed up to the local Vista, and promptly threw herself over the edge.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Torvic.8256

when your hate a race its too hard to give up that hate. i always felt given half a chance she still would have knife pyre in the back if it wasnt for your char. i dont think she would be any different today. she would quickly go back into her hated for the charr. she had too much personal experience hating char something that will never leave her. separatist all the way for her

Would the Separatists have been more successful in GW2 had Gwen been leading them?

Posted by: mahri.8410

mahri.8410

It would be interesting to see her again in GW2. Still…I wonder..could Arena.Net keep her the same aspect (face; armor) or change her totally ?

A time machine would be interesting. Probably, sometime, the Living World will bring Time Machines in discussion.

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

I think she’d be pretty ticked that when the charr pressed up to the gates of Ascalon, Adelbern decided to rage-quit and take all his subjects down with him. I could see her view being “If the charr were to wipe us out, then so be it — so long as the last Ascalonian went down fighting. But our nation didn’t die at the hands of the charr. We died at the hands of our own king in a desperate, despicable and selfish act of cowardice.”

She’d be suspicious of the charr and the treaty, but not outright hostile toward them. She’d probably warn the Vanguard to keep an eye on the charr, in case they decide to alter the terms of the deal. But for now, working with them — at arm’s length, mind you — is the smarter tactical move. But when the Dragons are defeated, you better keep your blades out because humanity’s next threat could be the furball that’s been watching your back all this time.

Tbh, this sounds about right. She wouldn’t be “OMG CHARR ARE OUR BESTEST FRIENDS EVAR” but she wouldn’t be idiotic enough to go and join the Separatists.

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

I doubt Gwen would embrace the Charr version of events. She was alive then, remember. No need to accept the lies.

From GW2 Wiki, King Adelbern.

“Accounts of this conflict differ between human and charr records. In human accounts, his forces fell to the charr and Adelbern was left to fight the charr alone. He eventually fought his way to the Imperator of the Flame Legion, wielder of the Claw of the Khan-Ur. The Claw clashed with Magdaer, Adelbern’s sword, and caused a spark of power that engulfed the land for leagues around. This event became known as the Foefire. "

Further, seeing that reconciliation with Pyre achieved nothing and changed nothing re their attitude as a race Gwen would see no reason to not hate the animals even more.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/King_Adelbern

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

(edited by Teofa Tsavo.9863)

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

Im in guild called “Gwen”

Posted by: mahri.8410

mahri.8410

From all the GW1 characters, Gween seems the best character that could return. She has a strong bloodline, you meet her from her childhood, just when Guild Wars starts…she has a tomb in GW2…a tomb with an organ puzzle …I think she really deserves a returnal. This would lead to an interesting plot. Gween seems the character with the strongest personality and most impressive story.

Posted by: Amnariel.3659

Amnariel.3659

Maybe with Rytlock visiting the underworld now we will have a chance to see all the old ascalonian heroes in the new LS :P

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

I doubt Gwen would embrace the Charr version of events. She was alive then, remember. No need to accept the lies.

From GW2 Wiki, King Adelbern.

“Accounts of this conflict differ between human and charr records. In human accounts, his forces fell to the charr and Adelbern was left to fight the charr alone. He eventually fought his way to the Imperator of the Flame Legion, wielder of the Claw of the Khan-Ur. The Claw clashed with Magdaer, Adelbern’s sword, and caused a spark of power that engulfed the land for leagues around. This event became known as the Foefire. "

Further, seeing that reconciliation with Pyre achieved nothing and changed nothing re their attitude as a race Gwen would see no reason to not hate the animals even more.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/King_Adelbern

At the same stand point, we have no idea if the human account is true.

In all honestly, both versions are probably full of lies and misinformation.

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

She’d probably complain and whine about everything like she did in the first game.

^ That.

But really, after walking around GW2 Tyria for an hour, she’d say, in a sad, little Dorothy-esque tone:
" <pc name>, I’ve got a feeling we’re not in Tyria anymore."

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

(edited by Obsidian.1328)