What would anet do if

What would anet do if

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

There was a hidden mechanic in this game that does something extremely powerful but it’s extremely difficult to notice and is not documented anywhere in the game or on the wiki, and probably nobody knows about it. By all conventional game dev standards, it would be considered a bug.

If Anet found out about this mechanic, would they remove it on the grounds of it being a bug, even though it’s been there the whole time and is actually vital to the viability of a whole profession?

What would anet do if

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

How a bug that almost nobody know about be vital to the viability of a whole profession?

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

What would anet do if

Khristophoros.7194

How a bug that almost nobody know about be vital to the viability of a whole profession?

Because the game lies to you sometimes.

What would anet do if

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

How is it a bug if it is vital to the profession? :s

What would anet do if

Khristophoros.7194

How is it a bug if it is vital to the profession? :s

It’s not documented. There is nothing anywhere that suggests it is intended, and the game actually fails to convey that it is happening at all.

When I first noticed it, I was like “WOW THIS IS REALLY COOL AND MAKES PERFECT SENSE! IT MUST BE INTENDED!”
> check wiki
> forum search
> study tooltips
> nothing

(edited by Khristophoros.7194)

What would anet do if

Posted by: Kreejaffa.3682

Kreejaffa.3682

I think it was the butler, in the conservatory, with the candle stick.

Kreejaffa [Ferguson’s Crossing]
Leader of Looking For Gandalf [LFG]
Worst Commander of Ferguson’s Crossing (Self Proclaimed)

What would anet do if

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

Because the game lies to you sometimes.

How can we be real if our eyes are not real???

What would anet do if

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I think the answer depends a lot on the specifics you’re going out of your way to avoid telling us.

But I think it’s unlikely they would completely remove a mechanic that’s vital to a whole profession simply because it’s bugged. Or unbalanced which is what I suspect you mean.

More likely they’d rebalance it so that’s it’s still there, still functional but doesn’t cause whatever issues it’s currently causing.

But if it’s as difficult to notice as you say then Anet can’t do that, or anything else to fix it, until the rare exceptionally clever player/s who are the only ones capable of noticing it deign to tell them what it is.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

What would anet do if

Khristophoros.7194

I think the answer depends a lot on the specifics you’re going out of your way to avoid telling us.

But I think it’s unlikely they would completely remove a mechanic that’s vital to a whole profession simply because it’s bugged. Or unbalanced which is what I suspect you mean.

More likely they’d rebalance it so that’s it’s still there, still functional but doesn’t cause whatever issues it’s currently causing.

But if it’s as difficult to notice as you say then Anet can’t do that, or anything else to fix it, until the rare exceptionally clever player/s who are the only ones capable of noticing it deign to tell them what it is.

I personally believe it is balanced since it’s been there for 3 years unchanged.

I’m just wondering if anyone else thinks Anet would actually remove something that’s secretly been there for 3 years just because it’s technically not intended/documented. That’s what I think they’d do.

What would anet do if

Kreejaffa.3682

Well, I have a surefire way of finding out what they would do.

Write up a support ticket and tell them what you believe you have found.

What would anet do if

Posted by: LastShot.4762

LastShot.4762

Depend on how broken this so call bug is.
If it’s at the scale as recent symbolic avenger, then Anet will disable and fix it asap.
If it’s for trolol/non-meta builds, then Anet will put it in backburner….and when they finally fix it, everyone will go OMFG STEALTH NERF.

Also, if it’s vital to a profession, everyone main it probably already know, just because people don’t say it out loud doesn’t mean nobody knows.

What would anet do if

Posted by: cupcakesandcatnomz.3924

cupcakesandcatnomz.3924

and you’re bringing it up now after 3 or so years because?

What would anet do if

Khristophoros.7194

I’d never! I don’t work for them man.

I had a QA job last year. It really changed how I look at bugs in games. I was paid to find bugs and it was my responsibility to push the report to the dev team. At some point I was like, why would I ever do this for free? It’s the same as doing any other job without being paid.

What would anet do if

Khristophoros.7194

and you’re bringing it up now after 3 or so years because?

It kills me a little inside every time I see it happen and I think to myself, “I wish I could tell people but then anet would remove it” and I die a little inside.

What would anet do if

Khristophoros.7194

Depend on how broken this so call bug is.
If it’s at the scale as recent symbolic avenger, then Anet will disable and fix it asap.
If it’s for trolol/non-meta builds, then Anet will put it in backburner….and when they finally fix it, everyone will go OMFG STEALTH NERF.

Also, if it’s vital to a profession, everyone main it probably already know, just because people don’t say it out loud doesn’t mean nobody knows.

Eh the players don’t need to know about it to master the profession. Something that they use is better than advertised by the game’s documentation. But if you knew how it was better it would not change any of your gameplay or decision making. It’s just better than it says.

What would anet do if

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

“There was a hidden mechanic in this game that does something extremely powerful but it’s extremely difficult to notice”

How in the world could a game mechanic do something extremely powerfully yet be extremely difficult to notice?

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

What would anet do if

Posted by: cupcakesandcatnomz.3924

cupcakesandcatnomz.3924

you kinda ruined it a bit for yourself then cause now Anet can simply look at your account activity and if its suspicious they’ll simply ban you, its what they do with people who use those silly map exploits :p

What would anet do if

Kreejaffa.3682

I had a QA job last year. It really changed how I look at bugs in games. I was paid to find bugs and it was my responsibility to push the report to the dev team. At some point I was like, why would I ever do this for free? It’s the same as doing any other job without being paid.

Funny, I don’t work for them either. In fact, I give them money almost every month. But, I still freely send in bug reports when I find them. If you believe playing a game with your free time and finding a bug is a “job” you have performed and deserve money for it, well, that’s kinda sad.

Instead of dancing around an invisible elephant on the forums, dangling information to the users, why not just send the support ticket and be done with it? What good will it do to hold onto it? If you are waiting for a paycheck, I fear you wait in vain.

What would anet do if

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

I personally believe it is balanced since it’s been there for 3 years unchanged.

I’m just wondering if anyone else thinks Anet would actually remove something that’s secretly been there for 3 years just because it’s technically not intended/documented. That’s what I think they’d do.

Ranger Pet AI has been garbage for since launch. Its poorly documented, it hasn’t been changed in 3 years, they claim it working as intended…… but I would hardly call it balanced.

What would anet do if

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

If it’s a bug, and you are basically trying to exploit said bug, well…

That’s the way you’re making it sound right now, by attempting to not reveal this supposedly amazing tech that you have been sitting on for three years. Well, you probably haven’t, since you made this topic now—after three years—but you assume it’s been there for the past three years at least, which it very well may not have been, considering the relatively drastic changes we’ve been through across every profession during that time.

If you are so coy about revealing what you’re talking about, then it’s probably not intended, and something that should be patched. If they’ll remove it, well that’s a different story, but they’d likely balance it, if it is considered unbalanced/unfair, and you sure make it sound like it is.

In other words, you should report it to ArenaNet privately, either through the in-game bug report, or through web support. You basically agree that you will do so in the Rules of Conduct (of pretty much any online game) and not doing so is a reason for account suspension.

Guild Wars 2 Rules of Conduct

17. You will not exploit any bug in Guild Wars 2 and you will not communicate the existence of any such exploitable bug (bugs that grant the user unnatural or unintended benefits) either directly or through public posting, to any other user of Guild Wars 2.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

(edited by Absconditus.6804)

What would anet do if

Khristophoros.7194

Funny, I don’t work for them either. In fact, I give them money almost every month. But, I still freely send in bug reports when I find them. If you believe playing a game with your free time and finding a bug is a “job” you have performed and deserve money for it, well, that’s kinda sad.

Instead of dancing around an invisible elephant on the forums, dangling information to the users, why not just send the support ticket and be done with it? What good will it do to hold onto it? If you are waiting for a paycheck, I fear you wait in vain.

It’s not like I think I could benefit from holding it.

As a player – I’d rather they leave it in the game because I like it, so why would I report it?

As a QA tester – I don’t work for them.

I have no personal interest in reporting it.

What would anet do if

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

Working around you working around saying what you are referring to. It sounds more like a documentation issue which seems to be low on the priority list of fixes. If said whatever has been acting the same for 3 years then odds are it is not a bug just not labeled correctly. Some players will read everything and then decide whether to use something, some will just try things and use what they like. Aka a group of people might be using/doing whatever you are referring to because they have found its consequence as favorable.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

What would anet do if

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

Then why not just say what it is?

Kinda pointless talking about something when we don’t know what we are talking about.

What would anet do if

Posted by: niea.7504

niea.7504

OP doesn’t know any “hidden mechanics.” He just wants forum attention.

What would anet do if

Khristophoros.7194

That’s the way you’re sounding right now, by trying to not reveal this supposedly amazing tech that you have been sitting on for three years. Well, clearly you haven’t since you made this topic now, but you assume it’s been there for the past three years, which it very well may not have been, considering the relatively drastic changes we’ve been through across every profession during that time.

If you are so coy about revealing what you’re talking about, then it’s probably not intended, and something that should be patched. If they’ll remove it, that’s a different story, but they’d likely balance it, if it is considered unbalanced, and you sure make it sound like it is. In other words, you should report it to ArenaNet privately, either through the in-game Bug Report, or through the web support. You basically state that you will do so in the Terms of Use (of pretty much any online game) and not doing so is a reason for account suspension.

My guess is something like this:

Before release they added this. It’s basically just higher numbers on something. Then it was too strong so they removed it (so they thought) but they messed up and the game just lies about something so it appeared to be removed.

After this failed removal which they thought was successful, said thing was still too strong since the intended nerf wasn’t really there, so they reduced other numbers on it. They eventually reached a point of balance, totally unaware of the continued existence of the thing I’m talking about.

What would anet do if

Khristophoros.7194

Working around you working around saying what you are referring to. It sounds more like a documentation issue which seems to be low on the priority list of fixes. If said whatever has been acting the same for 3 years then odds are it is not a bug just not labeled correctly. Some players will read everything and then decide whether to use something, some will just try things and use what they like. Aka a group of people might be using/doing whatever you are referring to because they have found its consequence as favorable.

I’d say it was simply a documentation issue but the game actually displays incorrect numbers in this case so I dunno.

What would anet do if

Khristophoros.7194

That’s the way you’re making it sound right now, by attempting to not reveal this supposedly amazing tech that you have been sitting on for three years. Well, you probably haven’t, since you made this topic now—after three years—but you assume it’s been there for the past three years at least, which it very well may not have been, considering the relatively drastic changes we’ve been through across every profession during that time.

If you are so coy about revealing what you’re talking about, then it’s probably not intended, and something that should be patched. If they’ll remove it, well that’s a different story, but they’d likely balance it, if it is considered unbalanced/unfair, and you sure make it sound like it is.

In other words, you should report it to ArenaNet privately, either through the in-game bug report, or through web support. You basically agree that you will do so in the Rules of Conduct (of pretty much any online game) and not doing so is a reason for account suspension.

Guild Wars 2 Rules of Conduct

17. You will not exploit any bug in Guild Wars 2 and you will not communicate the existence of any such exploitable bug (bugs that grant the user unnatural or unintended benefits) either directly or through public posting, to any other user of Guild Wars 2.

I don’t know for sure if it’s a bug but like I said it doesn’t change any decisions or gameplay.

What would anet do if

Miku.6297

I don’t know for sure if it’s a bug but like I said it doesn’t change any decisions or gameplay.

Like I said befor, just say what it is. That way people can actually talk about “it” vs what you have going on now.

What would anet do if

Khristophoros.7194

Like I said befor, just say what it is. That way people can actually talk about “it” vs what you have going on now.

I just wanted to know if anyone else thinks anet would remove something like this even if it was vital to a profession.

What would anet do if

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Notify them by e-mail and refrain from using whatever you discovered. Case closed.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

What would anet do if

Khristophoros.7194

I just checked the wiki again and somebody added a note about it yesterday. GG it’s gonna be gone in a month.

What would anet do if

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

I just wanted to know if anyone else thinks anet would remove something like this even if it was vital to a profession.

You do realize how absolutely ridiculous what you just wrote is? You want to know if someone else thinks ArenaNet would remove something you will not reveal (rightfully so if it’s a exploitative bug), as if anyone would really know what you are talking about.

Again, report it to ArenaNet. Don’t write about it on the forums. You’re making it sound as if it is a tooltip with wrong numbers. Also, it’s highly unlikely that you are the single soul in GW2 that has come across a supposedly vital piece of tech to a specific profession. Out of hundreds of thousands of players, there’s a high likelihood that several players has encountered what you are supposedly talking about, and reported it. Still, you should do the right thing too, and report it privately so they can look into it.

I’ll take a guess it has to do with Necromancer.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

What would anet do if

Khristophoros.7194

You do realize how absolutely ridiculous what you just wrote is? You want to know if someone else thinks ArenaNet would remove something you will not reveal (rightfully so if it’s a exploitative bug), as if anyone would really know what you are talking about.

Again, report it to ArenaNet. Don’t write about it on the forums. You’re making it sound as if it is a tooltip with wrong numbers. Also, it’s highly unlikely that you are the single soul in GW2 that has come across a supposedly vital piece of tech to a specific profession. Out of hundreds of thousands of players, there’s a high likelihood that several players has encountered what you are supposedly talking about, and reported it. Still, you should do the right thing too, and report it privately so they can look into it.

The other person who found it assumed it was intended and just added it to the wiki yesterday. So maybe it’s not a bug? In the end when it comes to undocumented stuff the developer decides what to call it when they address it. They like it, it becomes a feature. They don’t like it, it becomes a bug.

What would anet do if

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

Is that you Donald Trump?

What would anet do if

Miku.6297

I just checked the wiki again and somebody added a note about it yesterday. GG it’s gonna be gone in a month.

What was it? If it’s on the wiki why not just post “it” here so we can at least know what you are talking about.

What would anet do if

Posted by: SaintSnow.6593

SaintSnow.6593

Playing coy gets you no where you hooligan.
Worst attempt at gaining attention.

Säïnt

(edited by SaintSnow.6593)

What would anet do if

Khristophoros.7194

What was it? If it’s on the wiki why not just post “it” here so we can at least know what you are talking about.

You’ll find out eventually.

What would anet do if

Posted by: Lambo.1405

Lambo.1405

I feel dumber having read this pointless thread.

What would anet do if

Miku.6297

^^; Starting to look kinda like a troll thread to get attention. Sigh ohh well so much for actual discussion

What would anet do if

Posted by: Zaron.1987

Zaron.1987

Mommy Mommy i know something!!

Yes my Sweety?

But i dont tell it to you! :P

……

What would anet do if

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

Why do I feel like this thread will end on a “Na na na na booboo”

What would anet do if

Khristophoros.7194

Notify them by e-mail and refrain from using whatever you discovered. Case closed.

It’s impossible to refrain from using it unless you don’t play the profession. And now it’s listed as a feature on the wiki ayy lmao

What would anet do if

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Whatever this effect is, it’s obviously not too game breaking.

What would anet do if

Posted by: Basandra Skye.4031

Basandra Skye.4031

Looks like this is a confirmed troll thread. We all know what Anet does to those so… /thread

What would anet do if

Khristophoros.7194

Whatever this effect is, it’s obviously not too game breaking.

Considering it’s been there since the start of course it doesn’t break anything.