What would make GW2 better?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: midsummer.8237

midsummer.8237

Q:

I noticed that a lot of people say they are bored at end game. So what would make it better for the people who are getting bored?

Personally I think that having a “Hardcore” feature for dungeons where people could have up to 10 people could be an interesting idea (also a second tier of gear that would cost more for each dungeon). The “Hardcore” mode would give more tokens.

What other ideas do people have?

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

DE’s made more challenging, fun and interesting (not just aoe’ing weak mob waves)

More reasons to go back to old zones (rewards adjusted accordingly, as well as adding more things to hunt down for skins or pets, or w/e cosmetic carrots).

More cosmetic carrots (this game is lacking IMO for cosmetics being the ONLY carrot, can give it time though)

Traits continued to be worked on (still too boring and not enough customization)

Combat to be made less auto attacky (Ele/Necro have to rotate for dmg, other classes should be made more interesting in that regard).

More challenges with unique rewards (just pure skill bragging rights sort of stuff, legendaries do NOT count, they are a matter of pure grind)

Meta Events/World Bosses requiring actual map-wide teamwork, hard fights with multiple objectives with unique rewards, along with multiple prerequisite event chains that also require good teamwork to push along. (True PvE WvW sort of thing). Along with more possibilities to actually FAIL.

As much as the hardcore dungeon sounds like it could be nice, it probably wouldn’t happen since Anet is bent on dungeons being 5 man only and people would probably freak out because 10 man would mean “raid”.

(edited by Knote.2904)

Posted by: WasAGuest.4973

WasAGuest.4973

Until more content is released, there’s a few things that can be added to really “add” more content.

Remove DR. It’s simple. If the players can focus on getting their shinnies, they are entertained. If “OMG! They got a legendary already!” is an issue… add more legendary items as time goes on. New shinnies, new sinks.
Additionally, players are more opt to enjoy repeating content there is IF they are now wielding their shiny new toy and prestige armor. (Far as I know, players in GW1 didn’t suddenly quit when they got their weapon skin they wanted and Obsidian Armor.)

Progressive Dynamic Events: Currently, many of the events are stuck in an always WIN state on the players side. With each player win, the event should start ramping up the difficulty.
Let’s look at Shelter Gate for an example. If players Win, by fighting back the Risen; then the next time the event starts; add more Veteran mobs. If Players continue to keep winning, have the event start spawning Champions.
Many players (I would dare say, most players), seem to enjoy the champion challenges and flock to them to take them down.
A progressive system would give us 1) challenges 2) more content as it would eventually force a loss and enable the player base to see the other side of the event chain.

Add more armor sets: Players of the GW series are used to lots of armor choices. GW2 has lots of armor… in tiers. And if we are in medium armor we have trench coats, trench coats and a few more trench coats to choose from. That’s great if we like lack of diversity, but eh.
The tiered armor system means at any one time we have one or two options at best. We should have at least 5 options from the start and expanding on from there. Diversity is key and yet another sink for time and money for armor collectors (ie. Content)

Anyway, that’s my quick list for the topic.

Posted by: Corian.4068

Corian.4068

I went over this a couple times in the past week or two, but I always get the feeling from these complaints that people aren’t having fun with the game.

If you aren’t having fun with the game, how does making a not-fun game LONGER fix things?

Anyway, I’d like to choose between alternate skills on the 1-5 keys. Even just two options per key per weapon would increase customization immensely. For chains, the last skill would be the customizable one.

Hit level eighty
Priorities, what to do?
Spend hours with dye

Posted by: roqoco.4053

roqoco.4053

I’d like to be able to complete the map on my main character, with the same degree of challenge as when levelling up, possibly a bit more, since when levelling I tend to choose content 2-5 levels over my current level. Not looking for a dungeon level challenge, but something to keep my skills from getting rusty, whilst exploring the rest of the content.

For me the open world PvE content and exploring is so good that I haven’t yet really been tempted by the other options. But it’s less good with a maxed out level 80 character as that’s too easy to be fun.

Had some hopes for downscaling, but it isn’t really intended for this as it doesn’t go far enough. Maybe another optional downscaling option could be added whereby you get increased rewards in return for the increased risk. Would even accept a second life character reset to level 1 (in fact I’d bite Arenanets hand off to get it), if my map didn’t get reset too.

(edited by roqoco.4053)

Posted by: AlexanderFaust.4518

AlexanderFaust.4518

Sad day..

it’s like no one bothers ta check out the suggestions areas =/

lol, Try these out if ya wanna make GW2 “better”.

Combat, Dynamic Events… what’s the point if they’re easy mode?
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Combat-Dynamic-Events-what-s-the-point-if-they-re-easy-mode/page/1

GW2, Challenge Mode Dungeons.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/GW2-Challenge-Mode-Edition/first#post345993

Posted by: AlexanderFaust.4518

AlexanderFaust.4518

ah, and if you like those ideas.. bump the threads with a +1

Would be nice ta eventually get an “official” response on how the devs view those ideas and IF they would ever be able to be added to the game.

Posted by: SoulTrain.2157

SoulTrain.2157

being that i cant ever hardly find anyone to do group events or anyone to help me in the later zones i would suggest bringing back my favorite gw 1 feature which was the heros. but i guess they would have to also make the instances for only one group also which would be fine for me. the game is great, but i do miss the heroes almost everytime i log in. they would be good for dungeons also not having to wait around to join a group.

Posted by: Dangerkips.6035

Dangerkips.6035

Off the top of my head?

Do away with level scaling

Posted by: threei.3742

threei.3742

being that i cant ever hardly find anyone to do group events or anyone to help me in the later zones i would suggest bringing back my favorite gw 1 feature which was the heros. but i guess they would have to also make the instances for only one group also which would be fine for me. the game is great, but i do miss the heroes almost everytime i log in. they would be good for dungeons also not having to wait around to join a group.

I really miss heroes too, as well as instanced zones. Hard mode was great, but you can’t do it with open world, instead we get level scaling. I would love to be able to go to any zone and fight lvl 80s, farm high end mats etc… I guess the only thing they could do would be to have hard mode servers, but everyone would transfer to those and the others would be empty.

Posted by: lacrimstein.5603

lacrimstein.5603

More level 80 content
More activities for guilds
More gameplay mechanics:
Player housing?
Additional char progression systems?
Airship construction and flight, like in Allods?
Political Systems (Guild Halls/Areas of Control, like in Darkfall – I’d love to have more player influence in PvE world)
More skill customization

(edited by lacrimstein.5603)

Posted by: roqoco.4053

roqoco.4053

I guess the only thing they could do would be to have hard mode servers, but everyone would transfer to those and the others would be empty.

There are several ways that hard mode could be done, there no need for special “servers”:

For instance you could reinstance all the content and adjust it for level 80s – you would just have a a normal instance and a hard mode instance of each map and the latter might be reserved for level 80s who’d completed the content – that’s pretty identical to how GW1 worked.

Secondly, you could have differential downscaling. i.e. when you get to level 80 you can choose a more extreme version of downscaling that would be effective in low level areas … and like GW1 hard mode that would give you better loot.

The second version has the advantage that ist doesn’t split the player base and also the big advantage that players doing that hard mode wouldn’t unbalance low level events in the way full level 80 players do.

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

I went over this a couple times in the past week or two, but I always get the feeling from these complaints that people aren’t having fun with the game.

If you aren’t having fun with the game, how does making a not-fun game LONGER fix things?

Anyway, I’d like to choose between alternate skills on the 1-5 keys. Even just two options per key per weapon would increase customization immensely. For chains, the last skill would be the customizable one.

Most people are asking for things that add fun to the game.

And I agree 1000% with the alternate weapon skills, it would just be so perfect for customization.

Posted by: midsummer.8237

midsummer.8237

So everyone basically agrees that PvE is too easy at end game? I like the idea of if people keep succeeding at an event that veterans would come and champions.

While I do think weapon skill customization could be a good idea. It worries me specifically for mesmers. If you had the chance on the mesmer wouldn’t you just use all illusions to do a ton of damage at once? Really that is the only class that it makes me worried for though. Have the ablility to customize would be nice feature but I think some skills should stay with the weapons. Like blocking with a shield… it doesn’t make much sense otherwise.

I know Anet really didn’t want to do Mounts because there isn’t a need for them but does anyone else think it would be nice to have something to collect? While a like the mini’s that come from the gem store there is no real challenge to getting them and it would be nice if you could get them from completing Achievements. It would also be nice if the Achievements were harder but they gave you things like titles. Not very many PvE Achievements give titles atm

Posted by: krojack.4920

krojack.4920

Well off the top of my head, one of the following:

1. Allow user based mods that can modify the basic UI such as chat replacement mods.

or.

2. ArenaNet needs to announce that they are going to add ways to customize the UI in a future update. Sure fix the bugs first, that’s fine with me but at some point allow us to customize the UI.

Oh and kill the bots off…

80 Sylvari Ranger – Jade Quarry
» My current Guild Wars 2 game annoyances

Posted by: vox.5019

vox.5019

Ban the bots.

Also yeah, scaling needs to be harder. Whether it’s DEs scaling up further to be challenging for however many people are there, or low level areas scaling you down more so you can actually play with friends without killing everything before they can even touch it (and if it’s more challening for high levels, rewards can be ramped up for them.)

This industry just needs to move on. We’ve seen a bunch of “WoW 2.0” attempts, and
who actually wants that? Do we really want to be playing those same game mechanics for
another 5 or 10 years? -Mike O’Brien

Posted by: dimgl.4786

dimgl.4786

repost from different thread: these are all things I think will improve Guild Wars 2 and make it a game to last a very long time

There is something that I’ve wanted to discuss on the forum that I feel strongly about but not many people tend to agree with me due to the fact that not much can be done at this point in the release.

I miss the simplicity of Guild Wars. This simplicity in game design allowed the designers to create a game with incredible depth. I feel like Guild Wars 2 has a lot of fluff that doesn’t really serve any purpose and is only there to appease those players coming from more generic MMO games. There are several elements that were simpler in Guild Wars that simply felt right.

The first of these elements was armor crafting. In Guild Wars, all armor was crafted. This was a simple system where players knew exactly where to get armor, how to do it, and may have allowed developers to release armor content much faster. It obviously doesn’t really work that way anymore. Right now, we can get armor from drops, tokens, karma, gold, achievement chests… It just doesn’t make sense to me. Why over-complicate a system that worked great? You [ArenaNet] could’ve used gold and materials as a payment method just fine again to create a satisfying armor purchase experience. It also enhances the dungeon experience, which I will explain in a moment.
The second of these elements was cooperative missions and elite areas. Right now, there are only dungeons in the game, and they are split in two: explorable mode dungeons, which are basically elite areas, and story mode dungeons, which have been introduced to replace cooperative missions. There’s a fundamental flaw with this system: once players do the story mode, they will never do it again. This means alternates and newer Guild Wars players will have a hard time progressing to “explorables”.

Right now, the explorables have branches that “expand the dungeon experience”. I’m not sure if this was to mimic instances like Fissure of Woe and the Underworld, but this system feels half-baked. Why not implement a dungeon system where, instead of branching, you have one-time events scattered throughout the dungeon that the player must participate in for rewards? This allows the player to run through the dungeon a-la FoW, completing each section of the dungeon until there is no more to do. This is an aspect of Guild Wars that I miss greatly and I feel like this is a much more satisfying experience.

The argument against this system is that players will speed clear the dungeons for tokens and only do what is most profitable. Well, this is where the armor system I mentioned before from Guild Wars comes into place. Instead of giving tokens at the end of the dungeon, you introduce random drops throughout the instance, so players don’t know when they will rewarded. They can play throughout the entire dungeon and not feel like they are wasting their time doing harder content. I’m not sure how ArenaNet could’ve missed the mark here!

Edit: Also, you [ArenaNet] are against grinding: then why did you make dungeon tokens?! Why not have a system where players can play the dungeon of their choice and still get the armor they want? Right now, the same dungeon must be done over and over to get only one set of armor. You guys had a recipe for success with Guild Wars!

The third of these elements is the singular story. Right now, I absolutely loathe the branching story in Guild Wars 2. This also takes an enormous amount of work for the Guild Wars 2 team to develop. It also means every player will have a different experience with the branches, meaning that some branches will be very well written and others won’t be as captivating. The Guild Wars story may not have been flawless, but it was definitely memorable. There are many moments in Guild Wars that I will remember for the rest of my life. I honestly can’t say the same for Guild Wars.

Sorry for the rant, there are other elements but I’m at work and I can’t really keep going. Regardless, I know ArenaNet will improve the game and maybe they won’t make these missteps again. Cheers!

Posted by: Raging Bull.5048

Raging Bull.5048

True open world PvP. Kill the WvWvW instance, and instead make thoe whole world one huge WvWvW together with quests and DEs!

krojack.4920

I know it’s most likely not possible with how the world is laid out however, I’m disappointed that there are load screens between zones. This has the old Everquest zoning feel. Seems like with todays tech level there would have been someway to not have load screens. Seamlessly going from one zone to the adjacent zone would have made the game feel much smoother.

Posted by: Phaedryn.3698

Phaedryn.3698

All pertaining to WvWvW

1) Fix the “culling”
2) Remove the caps, get rid of the queues
3) Make matching permanent, no resets.
4) Remove the scoring
5) Make each claimable location provide a small buff (cumulative) for the server that holds it (server wide, not just PvP).
6) Add a PvE zone gated by held territory in PvP (ala Darkness Falls)
7) Make Orbs of Power grant a 10% damage buff (per orb held) to the server that holds it (also server wide, PvP and PvE).
8) Remove the AoE target limit.
9) Add more/better tools for coordination/communication.
10) Remove free server transfers.

krojack.4920

All pertaining to WvWvW

1) Fix the “culling”
2) Remove the caps, get rid of the queues
3) Make matching permanent, no resets.
4) Remove the scoring
5) Make each claimable location provide a small buff (cumulative) for the server that holds it (server wide, not just PvP).
6) Add a PvE zone gated by held territory in PvP (ala Darkness Falls)
7) Make Orbs of Power grant a 10% damage buff (per orb held) to the server that holds it (also server wide, PvP and PvE).
8) Remove the AoE target limit.
9) Add more/better tools for coordination/communication.
10) Remove free server transfers.

11) Remove gear damage if you die. =)

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

Permanent traveling speed boosts accompanied with visual aesthetic to make exploration more immersive.

Posted by: Blitzburger.1576

Blitzburger.1576

Add the armor sets/pieces back into PvE that were removed

Edit: And offer character recustomizations in the gem store

Posted by: gwawer.9805

gwawer.9805

an FOV slider