What would you do if you were missing 200+ PvE items and 5 levels of XP?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mage.7839

Mage.7839

Imagine an MMORPG where you spent one or two weeks on leveling your PvE character.

Then you lose your 200+ items, boosts, and 5 levels of experience. This happens in a game you bought a half year before the release. You also spent the same amount of money on dyes and so.

And the developer says: “We will not restore your items. Neither your lost experience. No, we won’t. We don’t even try it.”

They could say: “We have more serious issues at the moment to fix. When we fixed them we will restore your lost items and XP from the logs.” I would accept that.

What would happen if they say no for your PvE items and XP? Would you ask a refund or what?

I have 50+ missing PvP chests. What is the difference between lost PvE and lost PvP items? I would like to understand. I am very open minded person. I can learn. Please help.

I lost 200+ PvP items, many boosts and several levels of glory. What does Arenanet mean when they say they will not restore it?

If I can’t call that thievery then what is the correct word?

Should I believe that Guild Wars 2 has logs for karma weapons buying, but it has no logs for tournaments? How is that possible?

These are questions. Not a single statement. Please try to answer. Thank you.

Posted by: Failsociety.4569

Failsociety.4569

Yikes, I cannot explain, but.. I’m sorry for your lose if that means anything.

FFXI: 75 Blm Rdm Blu Thf Smn Nin Bst (Retired since Abyssea) FFXIV: 50 War Blm Whm Brd Pld
Loathe WoW and the Community it brings.

Posted by: Xericor.9103

Xericor.9103

You bought the game half a year before release? You were in the beta? Or am I reading this wrong.
If its beta, then at the end of most games all the beta stuff is wiped for release. I’ve been in a fair few betas, but wasnt in GW2 beta. Sorry I cant be more helpful

www.auroraglade.eu – Community Site for Aurora Glade!

Posted by: Leiloni.7951

Leiloni.7951

First, how did you lose all these items? Did you get your account stolen? Secondly, they have said many times that they simply don’t have the capability to restore lost items like that. It’s not that they don’t want to, they just can’t. They can do rollbacks but I believe that is saved for only certain circumstances and I’m not sure what happened to you, but I’m guessing it doesn’t qualify. Personally I think they really do need to implement a way to give items back/spawn new replacement items, but that’s how it is currently.

Mage.7839

Yes, I was in the beta. And I played tournaments. And I always received my reward chests. I mean I always received them finally, however, sometimes several hours later than I should have. And yes, I know, I should receive only gold or silver chest just after the tournament, becuase the tournament has to be finished first to calculate the 3th and 4th rewards.

When the game was released, I played Tournaments. I had two reasons for that. I bought the game for PvP and anyways, and TP was not working for PvE.

I received about 7 of my 50+ tournament chests. After the release. Of course I am not talking about the wipe.

And because I received all my chests in every beta event I thought for a good reason that I will receive the new chests too after the release. With some delay. They will just fix it. Why they would not?

ArenaNet was not answering this question at least for a week after the release. Neither on twitter nor on facebook.

Then Arenanet finally told that they will not restore our rewards. Simply not.

One chest may contain 3-8 items. I am missing about 50 chests. I am not alone. Almost every PvP players miss them.

If you didn’t know this then you may be PvE players. I am asking what would you think if you did not receive 200+ PvE items and several levels of experience. Something that worked in every beta events with some delay. I played all of them.

(edited by Mage.7839)

Posted by: Freakiie.8940

Freakiie.8940

You didn’t lose anything. The problem with tournament chests not working was WELL KNOWN (so well known that I who hadn’t set foot in the Mists yet at that time even knew about it), but you still kept doing tournaments.

It was YOUR decision to keep doing content that you should’ve known wasn’t working properly. This is like complaining that you did a dungeon 10 times, a week later the rewards get improved and you wanting the new reward for the 10 runs you did last week.

Posted by: Smackjack.5071

Smackjack.5071

You didn’t lose anything. The problem with tournament chests not working was WELL KNOWN (so well known that I who hadn’t set foot in the Mists yet at that time even knew about it), but you still kept doing tournaments.

It was YOUR decision to keep doing content that you should’ve known wasn’t working properly. This is like complaining that you did a dungeon 10 times, a week later the rewards get improved and you wanting the new reward for the 10 runs you did last week.

Thats what i did. simple reasoning would tell you that just assuming that they will hand you the rewards later when it is fixed is just not very smawt.

Mage.7839

You didn’t lose anything. The problem with tournament chests not working was WELL KNOWN

I call something well known when they announce it. I am 100% sure that they didn’t say a single word on this for about a week. We were reading twitter and facebook all the time.

It was YOUR decision to keep doing content that you should’ve known wasn’t working properly.

My decision was based on three facts:
- Sometimes there was a long delay between winning a tournament and receiving the reward at the beta weekends. It seemed like they have to parse the logs as fast as they can. I mean delays like 12 hours.
- Every time, even after 12+ hours delay I got my chests at the beta events finally. Sometimes I received 3-4 chest the next morning, same time when I logged in. It was logical to think the same after the release.
- A bought the game for PvP.

Mage.7839

“Thats what i did. simple reasoning would tell you that just assuming that they will hand you the rewards later when it is fixed is just not very smawt.”

Simple reasoning tells me that when I pay for a game they will restore lost items as a part of the service.

Anyway, the question I asked was that what would you do if you lose 200+ PvE items. Or just did not receive them.

Posted by: Tradewind.6913

Tradewind.6913

Maybe I’m a bit ignorant as to the problem, where do these chests come from and how did you lose them?

Mage.7839

The chest come from tournaments where you won at least 1 match of the three rounds. 1 victory means 3rd or 4th place chest. Two victories mean silver and 3 victories mean gold chest. Gold chest give you many many items and boost. Silver give you many items.

You shouldn’t receive any chests only if you lose the first match.

To add insult to injury the missing chests also mean much, and I mean really much glory points. Glory points are also needed to buy better looking PvP armor.

Tradewind.6913

Ok but how did you lose them? Or did you just never receive them? When was all of this done?

Mage.7839

Ok but how did you lose them? Or did you just never receive them? When was all of this done?

Did not receive. I told why do I count this is a loss. Because in beta events we received them with 12 hours delay. Sometimes. Parsing logs is always possible. Even 2 months later. Even I could to that if I had the logs.

First week after release. And it wasn’t even fixed then. They announced a week after they won’t restore them. Then I stopped playing at all.

Not a single gem buying from me anymore. I bought 6400 before this spent on dyes. Seems money is not needed by Arenanet anymore.

Posted by: Phoenix the One.4071

Phoenix the One.4071

They should just give you what you were denied and then everybody wins:)

Tradewind.6913

When were these tournaments?

Mage.7839

If they really has no logs which I doubt is is still pretty easy to restore them based on statistics. It won’t be exact but very close to that. For 8 tournaments you played you should get 1 piece of gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze and 1 fourth place chest. It is so easy.

Posted by: Sparkie.3465

Sparkie.3465

There were many bugs with PVE too. Several of these bugs result in loss of items. There was a butter incident you might’ve heard about that’s got the tailors in a tizzy right now. There was a karma weapon incident and a pepper popper incident that didn’t directly remove items for PVE players, but significantly altered the in game economy (and several karma-based items) in a way that injures many PVE players.

When you play a game at release, there will be bugs. That will happen in any large game you play – be it a single-player game like Skyrim or a huge MMO like GW2. Sometimes those bugs will negatively impact your play experience. I assure you that the devs are not happy you lost your PVP chests, but it happens and you should try to roll with it. In your case, at least you are on equal footing with all your PVP brethren, who suffered the same problem. The PVE bugs are much less equitable in impact and usually hurt the most innocent players the worst.

As to why it’s not theft: loss of in-game items, characters, or whatever in an MMO can never be considered theft. The MMOs have all set it up such that they officially are the owners of every bit of in-game “property.” You should be grateful that this is the case, because it protects you from having to declare your in-game income for tax purposes. It protects you from a number of legal issues. The downside is, there’s no going to the police when your stuff doesn’t get delivered, but the upsides generally outweigh the downsides quite a bit.

Mage.7839

The funniest thing is that it’s bugged again almost a month after the release and I see no official announcament about this. Again. How many chests should we lose?

Do they care a little bit?

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Not-getting-tournament-chests-AGAIN

(edited by Mage.7839)

Mage.7839

As to why it’s not theft: loss of in-game items, characters, or whatever in an MMO can never be considered theft.

It can be if the company does not try to restore your loss.

There are several ways to do it. Even if I believe they don’t have exact logs (which is totally impossible) they must be able to tell how many tournaments you joined. Do not tell that they aren’t because I will cry and laugh at the same time.

Based on the amount of the tournaments you played there is an easy way to give refund chests. That would be fair and nice.

I also have some small companies and when a customer of mine loses something – because we are all humans and we do mistakes thats normal – I give her or him double refund. Even when it was her/his fault partially. Because I feel sorry and I want to make them feel better. Giving refunds is also good for the business. Every sane people know this who had some business ever.

Anyways, I spent about 150 USD on the game already. I would be very very sad to ask a refund based on the lack of some important part of the service. This is what I would not like to do because GW1 was my favourite online game all the time.

Of course I would like to see chest refund not money refund. However, my trust in Anet is close to lost.

(edited by Mage.7839)

Posted by: Renegadeimp.8439

Renegadeimp.8439

It is not theft by the MMO company at all. If you even tried that in court you would be laughed at in the pre-hearings.

Mage.7839

It is not theft by the MMO company at all. If you even tried that in court you would be laughed at in the pre-hearings.

Strange opinion in the age of online service.

Yes, it is called “lack of a part of the service”. Do not worry. I will not go to the court. But it tells everything you even thought about it.

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

I dont know whats more funny.

The entitlement mentality of the original poster.
Or someone who plays pvp for the items, instead of the challenge of the match.

Mage, drop it. As you advance in the rankings you will get better and better rewards anyway, if you continue playing these ‘lost items’ will cease to matter completely as you will be flooded with duplicates.

Also this is not theft, theft would be an individual taking possession of something from someone without permission. In this case, arenanet owns your account, you just have access to it. As they cannot steal from themselves they cant be accused of theft.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

Posted by: baldsh.3896

baldsh.3896

Basically this all boils down to that fact that YOU made an assupmtion, and in the end that assupmtion that YOU made was wrong. You mentioned that you did not see ANet mention anything about the well known bug for one week, and not once did they ever mention that due to the bug, they would keep track of tallies and reimburse people at a later date.

The only person at fault here, sorry to say, is you. You of course know what happens when you make assumptions don’t you?

Mage.7839

I dont know whats more funny.
Or someone who plays pvp for the items, instead of the challenge of the match.

The whole game are just pixels on your monitor. Victory can be seen by pixels. Cosmetic armor can be seen by pixels. I always wonder when someone tells that his favourite pixels are more important than my pixels.

When someone tells you that he plays a game for PvE crafting can you understand it? I think you can. Crafting can be fun and selling the items can add more fun.

Why shouldn’t I play for cosmetic gear? Why am I able to create female character with huge boobs if this does not matter?

Pixels and pixels. You like one, I like another. All are virtual.

I worked hard for my cosmetic gear and I feel my time is partially lost.

Mage.7839

Basically this all boils down to that fact that YOU made an assupmtion, and in the end that assupmtion that YOU made was wrong.

Oh yeah. I thought that the game is working and it was not. It is only my fault. Sorry. Really.

Posted by: Baastos.1608

Baastos.1608

Technically speaking you didn’t lose anything you simply did not receive what you thought you would. lose implies that you got the item and then it went away . . . just saying. . .

Posted by: Ancientwolfgr.1648

Ancientwolfgr.1648

Read your TOS. You dont own anything you acquire during your time playing. That said, additionally, the game just launched. There are also provisions in the TOS that point out that your experience may change and that refunding items due to possible bugs are at the discretion of the company.

Its not a pleasant thought, but the MMO veterans know these types of things can happen. Its been a few weeks since launch. You spent a whole year in the game already but just like everyone else, you started at square one just like everyone else, so when you paid for what is moot.

What would I do?

A) Not run to cap a couple weeks from launch. Never have and never will. By the time I usually make it there, things like you complain about are a thing of the past. I am thankful theres people who rush to end to insure my game experience, but I wouldnt take the job either without KNOWING the possible repercussions. Its common sense.

B) If I did take that chance, I realize I’m not entitled, and that things can go wrong.

Mage.7839

A) Not run to cap a couple weeks from launch. Never have and never will.

My issue is not a bug itself. Software have bugs. My issue is the total lack of the will to restore them or compensate us. That does not depend on time passed since the launch. That is the attitude of the company.

By the time I usually make it there, things like you complain about are a thing of the past

I am sad to tell you that the game is launched almost a month ago and people complain today about not receiving the rewards. Still. Today.

When should I try to play the game? Christmas? Next year?

Posted by: Anguloke.2706

Anguloke.2706

Actually it is.

Most intelligent gamers don’t go into a game assuming everything is going to work. You did. Your mistake.

It is a given there will be game bugs yet you assumed otherwise.

Posted by: Anguloke.2706

Anguloke.2706

When should I try to play the game? Christmas? Next year?

With this attitude… never. Please never.

Posted by: serena smith.2734

serena smith.2734

I think I’d quit or never do pvp again i dunno…

When the wind is so strong that you almost can hear a whisper calling your name..
This is your calling, to The battle of your life.

Mage.7839

Most intelligent gamers don’t go into a game assuming everything is going to work. You did. Your mistake.

Most intelligent gamers and even people with average mental abilities can tell the difference between having no bugs and giving compensation for a bug.

After you read this enough times to understand I will be happy to tell you that compensation chests would be fine. Ignoring the issue is plain rudeness.

Posted by: Renegadeimp.8439

Renegadeimp.8439

What would i do? Invest in better computer security and give myself an epic facepalm for letting it happen in the first place.