What would you like to see in expansions?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Keiran.1896

Keiran.1896

I think than it could be a good thread to share ideas with everyone. Here are a few questions to help you.

- What kind of continents/areas would you like to explore in expansions?
- Would you like to play new races in expansions? (if yes: which ones?)
- What could be the final bosses of expansions?
- Should they add more levels? (ex: maximum 100)
- What kind of dungeons would you like to explore in expansions? (ex: UW)
(These questions are just examples. Feel free to use your imagination)

Now, examples.

Good example :
Hey, I have a great idea of expansion! We could travel to Cantha and see how it is after Shiro’s death. We could also play Tengus, making peace in our personnal story with the Canthan Empire. etc.. etc..

Bad example :
Hi, I have an awsum idea, we could play quagans and dolyaks and use flying munts in the continunt of Pinguinland (that actully is on an uther planet than tyriah) and we culd kill abadon again becuz he’s not rly dead. etc.. etc..

Posted by: Maeglin.7416

Maeglin.7416

The Kodan would be a great addition to the races. Seeing as they are said as being older than the Norn ( They believe the Norn to be descendants of a group of Kodan who migrated south)

It would add more depth to the fight against Jormag and I can just see the addition of the Kodan bringing a lot more great lore opportunities.

Posted by: Lorana.2468

Lorana.2468

no races
no classes
instead spend time on existing races and classes and improve them further, i dont want another expansion where classes are added that completely disrupt the balance of the game.

thats all i really care for at this point, there are many places i would like to see but im under the impression we will eventually get round to see’ing them all anyway.

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

I’d like to see Cantha – I loved Cantha, love Chinese inspired settings as a rule, and can’t wait to see what has happened to it.

Level caps? I’m not sure … yay, nay? I was one of those people what ran around for years with my level 20 character, never grinding for anything extra, just because I loved exploring and having fun, so I don’t care either way.

New races? I would like to see a race with a hand to hand combat skill … I loved the Dwarven Brawl mini game in GWEN. I’d like to see Dwarves worked back into the setting somewhere down the road.

Biggest thing … more skills, the type you actually have to go out and capture like in the first game … that is one of those things I miss the most from the first GW.

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

Posted by: Marxo.3829

Marxo.3829

I just want to see ootles of professions (classes) like GW1. If they make new profs anywhere as fun as the current, that is the best content for me.

I hope they don’t get cold feet because of how much work class balancing is.

Keiran.1896

I’d like to see Cantha – I loved Cantha, love Chinese inspired settings as a rule, and can’t wait to see what has happened to it.

Cantha was probably a way to sell boxes to asiatic countries, and I think that they might do it again but, if as they said they don’t do stand-alones, I can’t see how these people could just access Cantha without completing Tyria…

So let’s wait & see for this one.

Jack of Tears.9458

I just want to see ootles of professions (classes) like GW1. If they make new profs anywhere as fun as the current, that is the best content for me.

They didn’t in the first game. I’m guessing we’ll see new classes with each expansion just like in GW1.

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

Yessss…more professions mean more alts…more sales…more fun, lolol…

The altaholic in me drools

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Posted by: Marxo.3829

Marxo.3829

They didn’t in the first game. I’m guessing we’ll see new classes with each expansion just like in GW1.

I’m aware of this. This thread is about what we’d like to see in expansions, is it not?

Posted by: Revenant.2691

Revenant.2691

I’ve got a suspicion that Maeglin’s idea is what the first expansion will be, from some of the NPC dialogue in-game. They were laying on the foreshadowing with a shovel. Would also be very excited to see Cantha again, and playable Tengus would be awesome… though I have no idea why they have tusks coming out the sides of their beaks in GW2.

Myself, I’d really like to get back up into the Northern Shiverpeaks and the Charr Lands like in GW:EN… only being more friendly with the locals this time around. The Charr are probably my favorite race in GW2, which I never thought I’d say. Years of hatred and prejudice pretty much evaporated when I joined up with the Gear Warband in my Norn “got drunk and passed out” personal story. As far as playable races go, I really don’t know what you could add in there. Dredge, perhaps? It might actually be pretty fun to work for the glory of the Moletariat =p

Posted by: Kristov.6724

Kristov.6724

New Weapons such as:

• Cestus
  • Crossbow
  • Great Axe
  • Polearm

New Healing, Utility and Elite skills that increase synergy options within each class and further define the flavor and theme of each class. Some classes feel like they seriously need more skills to better define them (For example Warrior is fine power wise, but I feel like it’s lacking a lot of synergy and fun options currently)

Posted by: vidiotking.1928

vidiotking.1928

I’d like to see some kind of player housing. Crafting of those houses would be even cooler. Maybe they could make a zone w/ nothing but player housing? Or some kind of instance in a city where you have a house or an apartment…..

I would also love more zones, and horizontal leveling, not really more and more leveling, although I could live w/ more leveling too.

Led Zeppelin, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Grateful Dead, & Miles Davis.

Jack of Tears.9458

I’m aware of this. This thread is about what we’d like to see in expansions, is it not?

Not arguing with ya, saying “Yeah, this is one of those hopes we can check off as a ‘probably’”. That’s a good thing.

Jack of Tears.9458

I’d like to see some kind of player housing.

Here’s my big thing about Player Housing … if we get it, and there was talk about it, I hope it’ll serve some real purpose. I mean, sure it’s nice to have your place that you can decorate and stuff, but it’d be even nicer if your house has a repair kit in it, a forge, trading post access, bank or extra storage, and maybe even free to Waypoint to and from …. all things that make it a place that’s not only pretty to look at but serves a purpose.

I’ve been in so many games where I had a house that never really got visited.

Posted by: Vzur.7123

Vzur.7123

I’d like to see them integrate WvW with the rest of the game better, rather than have it as this irrelevant thing you have to queue for, that most players couldn’t care less about.

Posted by: wookie slayer.4259

wookie slayer.4259

end game content lol, dont matter what lore is used to make it

Keiran.1896

Also, there’s a door that leads to Crystal Desert at south of Ruin Field… but it’s currently closed. That just shows that they can add a portal whenever they want.

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

If they go the route of player housing, I hope they emulate EQ2’s style. No other game allows the player to manipulate their personal spaces like EQ2. Some of the housing in that game is just stunning.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

I had an idea about making two elder dragons fight each other. Imagine what a spectacle that would be to see. It could even be attached to your personal story, as a quest where you have to make two elder dragons fight each other, in order to kill them both. The first elder dragon would obviously die from the other one killing it, but the survivor would then be weak enough for the players to kill it. I think that could be a really interesting story.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

Posted by: Jordan.6157

Jordan.6157

New Weapons such as:

• Cestus
  • Crossbow
  • Great Axe
  • Polearm

New Healing, Utility and Elite skills that increase synergy options within each class and further define the flavor and theme of each class. Some classes feel like they seriously need more skills to better define them (For example Warrior is fine power wise, but I feel like it’s lacking a lot of synergy and fun options currently)

Those weps and Chakrams.

Posted by: CJAncients.6907

CJAncients.6907

More face and body options at character creation.
More faces of different ethnicity for humans.
More options for personal story.
New areas to explore.

Posted by: Voqar.2349

Voqar.2349

More of the same except this time I’d like for it to be thoroughly thought out and properly tested against player deviousness and both player and 3rd party exploitation.

One piece of fallout from the way the game was beta tested is that players aren’t like to practice cheating or exploiting when beta is so limited (to spaced out 3-day events). If there had been a more full time beta with exposure to higher level content, not only would high level content have been better tested, but it’s possible that some of the data problems and other exploits would’ve shown up before release.

Posted by: Gohlar.3671

Gohlar.3671

I’d like to see some actual depth to the classes. As is stands they are a hollow shell of their GW1 counterparts.

Posted by: Cancer.9065

Cancer.9065

-Profession specializations, instead of new profession. (thief can go assassin or spy, etc) with a couple of new skills and new elites (not that many just enough to make the class seem different)
-New weapons
-Weapons could improve with usage (10000 kills with hammer makes you more proficient and apply extra conditions with the regular skills)
-New crafting tier with a really hard learning curve (read not expensive, just hard) for example needing some special mats that are account bound on acquire after max level yo can make more customized gear stats (combining stats not currently craft able)
-And sure a new region, a new race (only 1), a new dragon to kill (looking at you Klaky).

Cancer is also a Zodiac sign.

Posted by: DandySlayer.7019

DandySlayer.7019

Tbh I don’t we are going have an expansion too soon due to the fact we have a ton do here in the main Tyrian Continent and a lot of stuff can be add via update patches like the Depths of Tyria and the far north. BUT ideas for expansions….

-1st expansion: After defeating the mainland dragons I’d like to go see Elona and challenge Palawa Joko and his minions. And then with this expansion I’d like to see more of the eastern part of the Tyrian continent like the majority of the Charr Homelands. This expansion could focus on the battle against Palawa and the Unification of the Charr High Leigons under the first Khan-Ur in over 250 years! Khan-Ur Brimstone anyone? lol.

-2nd expansion: With this expansion its time to set to the seas of The Unending Oceans and to the Deep Ocean to battle “Bubbles!” and get a hefty dose of underwater content! And maybe visit the unknown western island continent and deal with whatever trouble is going on over there? Another Dragon perhaps??? For this expansion they’d need to fix underwater combat a little bit…..

-3rd expansion: Its time to visit Cantha and over throw a corrupt regime and maybe discover another Dragon or 2?

As for new Playable Races:
-Tengu. This is practically a given already.
-Hylek. They’ve been one of the most co-operative out of the primitive races and with Zhaitan defeated their villages would be safe and maybe allow a union of the Hylek tribes to allow them to provide support to the united races.
-Skritt. About the same as the Hylek with the exception of also defeating Primordus so they can return home
-Largo. They’d be forced to as “Bubbles” would be pushing them to the brink of extinction.
-Dredge. After over throwing the corrupt leaders of the Moletriat and defeating Primordus they could aid the united races of Tyria as a thank you.

Those are the top 4 races up for Playability as of now.
Other races up for that and not so high up on playability IMHO are; Jotun, Ogres, Kodan, Grawl, Centaurs, and Quaggans. Maybe even the Krait and the rediscovered Forgotten????

Also play some Bioware games and make a story mode a little more like that

This is all just my opinion folks!

Posted by: Varielle.9074

Varielle.9074

Here is what I would like to see in an expansion, though some of it has been covered by other posters already.

1. New Weapons (Great Axe / Pole Arms / Cross Bows / Claws / Flails / Whips)

2. New Customization options for character creation
a. Barber feature to change hair styles
b. Polymorph potion to change character size/face/gender

3. Housing, which features additional storage / decoration options
a. Trophy items that can be displayed in houses
b. Carpentry, for crafting furniture for decoration

4. Mounts as collectibles, minor speed boost

5. New Playable races

6. New Professions (Perhaps another soldier class? Given the Guardian is successor of the Paragon and Monk, perhaps a successor of the necromancer and another class?)

7. New Continents (Could be re-visit to continents featured in GW1 or newly discovered landmass other than Tyria)

8. Mercenaries (Similar to GW1, your mercenary can actually be one of your other toons)

9. New & Additional story choices at character creation, to add new variety and re-vitalize personal storylines for existing professions.

8. Extension of personal storylines

(edited by Varielle.9074)

Posted by: Geff.1930

Geff.1930

This game already offers amazing PvP for people who moved from Dota, Startcraft, FPS games and other competitive skill based games. I love that there is a division between the Heart of the Mists crowd and Outside world crowd. People who are hardcore PvPers never have to set foot outside Heart of the Mists.

I say take this one step further by giving us the option to move to Heart of the Mists immediately upon character creation.

More cosmetic type PvP rewards. Maybe give us a Home Instance in the Hall of Heroes which can have artifacts and NPCs from PvP achievements or from PvP rewards.

Some casual mini-games in Hall of Heroes. I want Keg Brawl to be moved to Hall of Heroes. Or add a second Keg Brawl entrance NPC there.

I know Ladder and Ranking systems are already incoming, and I’m fondly looking forward to those.

Posted by: Satakal.6971

Satakal.6971

Cantha. I will be crushed if there is no Cantha expansion. I want to return and see if Kaineng had spread through the entire landmass, or if the place was tidy’d up, I bet it would look awesome and be loads of fun to explore either way. But how would they tidy it up, when it has a severe overpopulation problem? Unless a catastrophe is under way, one that would require brave heroes to put under control …

Maybe naval combat. Ships and stuff. May be a good companion to the aquatic content we already have.

Would not like small expansions. Would prefer expansions the size of GW1 campaigns.

Posted by: dybryd.1358

dybryd.1358

Looking at the map, it’s pretty clear that the Tengu region south of L.A. (plus maybe more of the Sea of Sorrows nearby) will be the next to be explored.

Then there’s the Crystal Desert and Ring of Fire conspicuously labeled but inaccessible.

I’d love to see a Canthan campaign, but from what I can see they have plenty to finish up on this map before they open up a whole new one.

As far as other features, I want a third soldier class, just because asymmetry freaks me out – we need the same number of each type! Preferably a spear-and-polearm wielding character.

Posted by: Bathos.6341

Bathos.6341

Well in order:
1. Cantha (specifically would love to see the imperial city with the new graphics, that place was epic the FIRST time round!)
2. Playable Tengu race.
3. New weapons: (Crossbows, that’s top of the list for me, I like the things. Oh and a 2 handed axe weapon family would be nice as well.)
4. New pets: I’m a ranger and more pets to choose from is always fun, not sure what you’d use, but some form of ranged underwater pet would be useful I think.
5. New food: I like cooking, new food and ingredients would be fun. Hopefully including fish, the lack of any way to cook fish kind if irritates me atm.
6. New gear. I expect I’ll probably be somewhat kitted out in epic stuff by the time the next campaign comes out, hence why it’s last on my list. But there is always room for another suit of armour somewhere! LOL

Posted by: dybryd.1358

dybryd.1358

Well in order:
Hopefully including fish, the lack of any way to cook fish kind if irritates me atm.

ZOMG this!

So many recipes, and sockeye salmon swimming everywhere, but not a fish to eat!

The Tengu are derived from Japanese mythology, so maybe they could have a whole sushi cuisine that they can teach the seafood-challenged Krytans.

Posted by: dalendria.3762

dalendria.3762

What kind of continents/areas would you like to explore in expansions? Elona. really liked Nightfall
- Would you like to play new races in expansions? (if yes: which ones?) Yes, Tengu
- What could be the final bosses of expansions? Maybe a non-dragon one. Like a person with an army
- Should they add more levels? (ex: maximum 100) No lvl 80 cap is fine. Just add more content in PVE before next expansions. like more DEs or change up existing DEs. and more new hearts in the lower lvl areas. Also, addition of mini-games would be nice.
- What kind of dungeons would you like to explore in expansions? (ex: UW) Open to any new ones Arenanet wants to offer.
(These questions are just examples. Feel free to use your imagination)

Can you feel it? HOT HOT HOT

Posted by: Ryth.6518

Ryth.6518

1. Content every 2- 3 months. I just would like content to come out every 2-3 months as xpacs and content that is more challenging and requires you to have accomplished certain things.

2. New Weapons. 2H Axe (come on seriously..not in the game now is ridic). Crossbows. Spear, etc.

3. New Skills. I definitely feel that WoW has too many…but I feel like GW2 needs a tad few more.

Posted by: Draehl.2681

Draehl.2681

Added customization with existing weapons similar to the OLD trait system Anet was leaning towards. I’d like to see a single trait slot for each weapon (two for 2 handers) where we can somewhat customize skills.

For example, On my thief I’m focusing on condition damage. I’d love to use my mh pistol trait slot to make Body Shot change to “Burning Shot” so instead of vulnerability I get burning.

Posted by: Sin.8174

Sin.8174

Personally.. a larger WvW map. While the ones we have right now are a decent size, i’d like to see something bigger. Perhaps the size of the world pve map, or maybe half the size. I’m a classic world pvpers and would like a better sense of being in a ’world’.

Istill feels like a battleground instead of a world vs world environment. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE WvW, but I’m a big fan of more terrain.

Otherwise, atm, not much I can think of.

Orphyn X – 8X Thief – Tarnished Coast
Lady Raevyn – 11 Necromancer – TC
Fanboy- The New Godwin’s Law.

Ryth.6518

Oh…one thing that I just don’t get about games is the armor. I wish a game would come out that related your armor type to damage absorbed but also to movement.

Imagine being a Warrior and having the option of wearing light, medium or heavy armor, but that choice also affects your movement speed and damage absorption.

The biggest pigeon holed class is Warriors, but it’s just so generic to drop them into heavy armor and that’s it, they wear heavy armor. There are so many types of Warriors, especially very mobile, medium to lightly armored ones.

Just like GW2 pigeoned holed thiefs into the standard cloak and dagger type, there are many other thief types that don’t use poisons, don’t use cloak and shadowy type stuff and so on.

Would love to see armor become something of a ‘choice’ vs having it assigned to your class along with more ‘options’ in the individual classes of ‘direction’

Posted by: Valkyrie.2678

Valkyrie.2678

I’d like to travel to the heart of Orr, the center of the current map but I’d hope that ANet comes up with a better design this time, since the current design is nothing different than other maps. Orr should be special, different.

Skritt, Kodan and Quaggan. Not sure if I’d play as one but I’d like to see players playing as them.

- What could be the final bosses of expansions?

Jormag maybe. Or the other, branded one, I can’t really type its name correctly haha. But this time, it shouldn’t be a cheap fight like the one with Zhaitan.

- Should they add more levels? (ex: maximum 100)

Definitely. Not only more levels but more skins, more item qualities, more skills, more trait lines maybe, more features like personal and guild rankings in WvWvW, new armor sets buyable with ranking points -man I write this everywhere- etc

Interactive ones. For example, there could be a stage at a dungeon which is like, walls start crumbling and you try getting to safety. Stuff like this would be much more fun than just trying to kill regular mobs that just have more hp and more attack power than other regular pve mobs.

And of course, I’d like to see more endgame events!

It is now WvWvW and dungeons but WvWvW is useless, dungeons are boring. These should get fixed and new endgame content should be added.

Ryth.6518

Something honestly that is dark/spooky/scary. And I’d love to see an MMO actually make night feel like NIGHT. 75% reduction in visability…needing light sources and so on. Part of the effect/mood/feeling.

Too early for this…maybe in 2 years.

I would like to see progression dungeons where you can’t go into the next one until you finish the previous along with ‘attunement’ types of questing that sends you around the world to accomplish tasks to do these events/dungeons. I think one of the best things from WoW was the BC attunements (the issue there was it should have been across account) and the original set upgrades that required you to go into dungeons and do things like the 45 min Baron of Strat run, etc to get the better set pieces and upgrades. I knew MANY raiders that couldn’t do a 5 man strat run because they weren’t skilled enough…yet of course they could 40 man raid due to the carrying.

Posted by: TheUndefined.1720

TheUndefined.1720

Thanks for starting this thread! I have some expectations of which expansions will be released based on the information ANet has given us, but this is a really fun discussion to start.

Expected Expansions

• Continents: Cantha / Elona
  • Races: Very possible no new races. If any: Tengu / Canthans / Kurzick / Luxon. Elonians / Kournans / Vabbians
  • Bosses: Cantha Boss – Emperor (or whatever is controlling the Emperor) Elona – Palawa Joko
  • Level Cap: I don’t believe they should add new levels. Only new skills / ways to obtain new traits.
  • Dungeons: All of the Divine areas (ex: Underworld, Fissure of Woe, etc), Emperor’s Palace, Palawa Joko’s desert domain.

Expansion I would like to see:

• Continent / Area: An entire underwater area in the sea, with pockets of magically protected land we could also explore. Homeland of Quaggens / Krait / Hylek
  • Races: Playable Quaggens / Krait / Hylek. Possible Aquatic Orrians (humanoids) that used magic to evolve themselves for underwater life. After their city was lost to the sea they would have traveled to new lands.
  • Final Boss: Evil ancient Orrian wizard using forgotten artifacts to enslave aquatic life, and raise an army to invade the dry lands.
  • Levels: No new levels, just new ways to obtain trait points / skills.
  • Dungeons: Fractured Orrian palace you must traverse to defeat the wizard. Underwater caves, and possible fissures which lead to the world’s center.

Eventually, I want to go back to the Eye of the North expansion area. Northern Shiverpeaks was beautiful, and I’m pretty upset that my hero's Hall of Monuments was totally trashed... I want to clean that up.

(edited by TheUndefined.1720)

Posted by: Imix.6152

Imix.6152

Darkness Falls.

Posted by: stayBlind.7849

stayBlind.7849

Tengu Ritualist please!

And more weapons… many, many more weapons.

Posted by: OnionXI.6735

OnionXI.6735

Elona, Palawa Joko, that is all.

Posted by: SoulTrain.2157

SoulTrain.2157

Heres some things i would like to see.

- more areas to explore
- a journey style effect when walking through snow and sand.
- armor and weapons show wear and tear as the durability decreases.
- more quests
- ability to buy an increase to the cap on collections.
- more tameable pets
- more minipets
- more achievements

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

Elona, if that was redone with how good Tyria looks (minus the Risen). Can I pre-order now?

Posted by: DusK.3849

DusK.3849

I’m character-monogamous, so the only thing I’d be looking for in new expansions would be new places to explore, more content for my character to do, and a new storyline to take down another dragon.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Also, check out Hardcore Adventure Box: World 1, World 2, Lost Sessions
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

Posted by: Borges.5927

Borges.5927

Cantha would be awesome..

Posted by: ChaosKirin.1328

ChaosKirin.1328

I am not familiar with Guild Wars 1, for a silly reason – namely, I don’t like playing humans because it’s not immersive enough for me, LOL. So if I sound a little off with my suggestions, I apologize.

I don’t necessarily need to see a new race, because I’ve found my One True Love with the Asura. While I know a whole expansion can’t focus around one race, I hope to see a little bit more about them, maybe getting some time in traveling to their old underground cities, learning about the time when they were expelled by Primordius, et cetera.

I’d also love more backstory on the Norn “Spirits,” especially centered around Owl’s fate. While the Norn aren’t my favorite race, I do love their spirituality, and would like to see it explored more. I’m all about backstory.

Keiran.1896

Thanks for starting this thread! I have some expectations of which expansions will be released based on the information ANet has given us, but this is a really fun discussion to start.

Expected Expansions

• Continents: Cantha / Elona
  • Races: Very possible no new races. If any: Tengu / Canthans / Kurzick / Luxon. Elonians / Kournans / Vabbians
  • Bosses: Cantha Boss – Emperor (or whatever is controlling the Emperor) Elona – Palawa Joko
  • Level Cap: I don’t believe they should add new levels. Only new skills / ways to obtain new traits.
  • Dungeons: All of the Divine areas (ex: Underworld, Fissure of Woe, etc), Emperor’s Palace, Palawa Joko’s desert domain.
    [/spoiler].

Kursicks and Luxon were all killed, or added to the Empire, by a random emperor. Palawa Joko conquered Elona so he probably killed Vabbians and Kournans.

However, I could see a race of Canthans, a sort of copy of the human character creation, restricted to an asiatic style with more possibilities. And a different personnal story, of course.

(edited by Keiran.1896)

Posted by: Katai.6240

Katai.6240

I think I want smarter world bosses. So far, everything has been “throw all your skills on it and don’t die”. Nothing really… interesting as a boss mechanic.

Posted by: Backward Sass.6791

Backward Sass.6791

Cantha. Monks brought back, and they can use staff as melee weapon.