Wheelock Rifle; My Unobtainable Love

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zaviel.1245

Zaviel.1245

Wheelock Rifle is the single best Rifle skin in Guild Wars 2. I knew about it since shortly after starting the game and was heartbroken to find out that I had to have played GW1 to get it.

A year went by and I accepted this, there are at least 2 other ‘decent’ rifle skins…. but my dear, sweet Wheelock Rifle lays just beyond my grasp. The release of the Wardrobe feature is one of the coolest addition to the game so far, but it cuts me deeply at the same time.

Alas, for each time I open the Wardrobe tab of my bank I stare longingly at the beautiful rifle skin that in another life… could have been mine. As I lay awake some nights wrestling my 100% first-world problems; I dream of a dream where one day… Wheelock Rifle may be obtainable without Hall of Monuments….

Put it on the Gem Store and I would buy it in an instant. I want you to take my money Anet!

Attachments:

(edited by Zaviel.1245)

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

You can still get it if you buy guild wars 1 and get 14 hom points.
So you need any campaign + eotn to earn gw2 bonuses its still possible.
You will get you’re money worth more than gems ever would.
Keep in mind though that its a completely different game everything is.
You also probably wont meet as many players but there are henchmens in any towns you can use. Gw1 have the holy trinity and a lot more depth to combat than here.
There should be a free trail so you can find out if you like it or not.
gw1 is a corpg but you should consider it a singleplayer game as not many play it.
When i started playing it in 2006 it was the best game i ever played.
There is still some things i personally think they did better in that game than here.
At least if you are interested in the lore and what happened to the dwarves and so on then its well worth it

Posted by: Vadik.1253

Vadik.1253

So in a way, it’s backwards compatible?

I was always curious if you could link a GW2 account to a new GW1 account and have it count for hom.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

You can. I just started playing GW1 a few weeks ago just to get something in my HoM. 3 points just to link! And that’s all I have for now

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Osculim.2983

Osculim.2983

So in a way, it’s backwards compatible?

I was always curious if you could link a GW2 account to a new GW1 account and have it count for hom.

This is exactly how it worked. When you created your GW2 account way back it was linked to your GW1 account and you got rewards for stuff you did in GW1

Posted by: Shayne Hawke.9160

Shayne Hawke.9160

Just go play GW and get it.

YT channel - GW2 Activity vids and more
Activities are dead.
Sanctum Sprint record times: any checkpoints – 39.333, all checkpoints – 1:55.633

Posted by: zerorogue.9410

zerorogue.9410

Yep, Just buy gw1 and eotn. It should only take a few months to get all 30 points for all the items.

You can find Gw Prophecies and eotn really cheap online although I would highly suggest getting a new sealed copy of the game as a used version is worthless(since you cant reuse CD keys). That should be enough to get the rifle, although I would suggest getting the trilogy and eotn for the full gw1 experience(and much easier to get hom pts).

Guild Wars 1 Played more like a online Rpg rather than a mmo, with 99% of the game solo-able. If you get the trilogy play night fall and you get heroes that you can customize and will replace players. Eye of the north will also have heroes just not as many.

You can see what you need to do on the HOM calculator (http://hom.guildwars2.com)
You get 3 pts automatically by linking the gw1 account to gw2.

I did a quick look and worked out a basic todo list for 14 pts. that can be done with Prophecies and eotn.
-1 rare minipet (buy from a player)
-Any hero armor(Play Glint’s Challenge in the Central Transfer Chamber to get hero armor)
-black widow spider (found in underworld)
-Complete Prophecies
-Get any 3 premium armor sets
-get any destroyer weapon.

It’s a bit costly but you can work out your own plan.

Posted by: Zaviel.1245

Zaviel.1245

Yep, Just buy gw1 and eotn. It should only take a few months to get all 30 points for all the items.

You can find Gw Prophecies and eotn really cheap online although I would highly suggest getting a new sealed copy of the game as a used version is worthless(since you cant reuse CD keys). That should be enough to get the rifle, although I would suggest getting the trilogy and eotn for the full gw1 experience(and much easier to get hom pts).

Guild Wars 1 Played more like a online Rpg rather than a mmo, with 99% of the game solo-able. If you get the trilogy play night fall and you get heroes that you can customize and will replace players. Eye of the north will also have heroes just not as many.

You can see what you need to do on the HOM calculator (http://hom.guildwars2.com)
You get 3 pts automatically by linking the gw1 account to gw2.

I did a quick look and worked out a basic todo list for 14 pts. that can be done with Prophecies and eotn.
-1 rare minipet (buy from a player)
-Any hero armor(Play Glint’s Challenge in the Central Transfer Chamber to get hero armor)
-black widow spider (found in underworld)
-Complete Prophecies
-Get any 3 premium armor sets
-get any destroyer weapon.

It’s a bit costly but you can work out your own plan.

While I like how I have the option to play through GW1 the idea of playing a game I don’t want to for the sole purpose of helping the game I do want to play for a whole month sounds horrible.

I’m not saying GW1 is bad, I’ve heard nothing but good things about it, but a “few months” is something that I do not have. If HoM weapon skins ever touched the Gem Store I’d gladly drop the $$$ for this single beautiful rifle.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

I personally don’t feel they should put any of the HoM skins in the Gem Store. They’re a symbol of what people achieved in the first game.

Putting them up for cash would make them lose all meaning.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Thaia.5146

Thaia.5146

—SNIP—
If HoM weapon skins ever touched the Gem Store I’d gladly drop the $$$ for this single beautiful rifle.

This would be my last day in GW2… and not only mine… I guess. Buy the game, work for this skin like we did.

Attachments:

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Funny how i managed to buy the one pack without HOTN back when i got GW1…

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

I completely agree with Thaia. Especially as it’s still possible to get the skins the original way: by playing GW1. If they had shut down the GW1 servers it might have been different, but they are very much still available to get.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

The HoM skins are a reward for playing Guild Wars 1 and a thank you by the Devs to the Guild Wars 1 players who were loyal to the game for all those years. Since they are a reward and a thank you, to put the skins in the gem store now would be an exceptionally crass move.

If you want it badly enough, then work for it like we did. Don’t be begging for it to be handed to you for a couple of bucks.

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

You can still give ANet your money. Just play their first game!

It’s not that hard to do, really. 30/50 can be obtained fairly quick…it’s 50/50 that will put a bruising.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

30/50 is easy to obtain.
A lot of people myself included would be rather upset if the HOM gear ever made it into the gem store – people worked pretty hard for it – and while I do agree that at some point in the future GW1 might end for good and the skins would be unobtainable we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it.

If you really want that skin so much buy and play GW1 – and get the skin.

The real issue here is there is now way for GW2 people to obtain GW 1 armor skins that they loved. Because you can’t get them – since they haven’t been put in the game. I understand how you feel – I feel the same way about my Elite Templar – but unlike you there’s nothing I can do except spam the forums and hope the devs notice that people want those skins and give them to us – most likely in the gem store.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

If HoM weapon skins ever touched the Gem Store I’d gladly drop the $$$ for this single beautiful rifle.

I doubt Anet would do that.
But in any case. Guild Wars 1 really is a great game. I recommend playing it for the experience, and see the wheelock rifle as a nice bonus

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Eidola.9148

Eidola.9148

I feel you, my Ranger would love the Rockfur Raccoon, but I would need 21 HoM points from GW1 to get it.

Hopefully someday they release a slightly different raccoon my Ranger could obtain easier than buying and playing GW1

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

While I like how I have the option to play through GW1 the idea of playing a game I don’t want to for the sole purpose of helping the game I do want to play for a whole month sounds horrible.

I’m not saying GW1 is bad, I’ve heard nothing but good things about it, but a “few months” is something that I do not have. If HoM weapon skins ever touched the Gem Store I’d gladly drop the $$$ for this single beautiful rifle.

I will physically kitten if they where to put the HoM rewards in the BLTC. I spent years collecting everything to get my rewards and titles. One of my friends who never played guild wars. Has got it just to get the Firery dragons breath sword. He saw me with it and wanted it that bad. You clearly do not want it bad enough. If you did, you’d already have it.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

He was saying a month for 30 points (all HoM items but not titles) – though if you’re focusing on the points, I think that’s a bit high. For 14 points, you can easily do it within a week if you focus solely on the HoM points (though I would advise against that, as then you won’t enjoy the game – I would suggest just buying it and playing through it as you would any other game; it is enjoyable and wouldn’t be a waste of money). Even faster if you can get someone to help you out (especially if you go with Proph+EN).

HoM skins are meant to be exclusive to GW1 players. It’s ArenaNets award for those who play through both games. So they should never go into the gemstore.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: Elmo Benchwarmer.3025

Elmo Benchwarmer.3025

I’d rather have a Boomstick.

Posted by: Lalocat.6793

Lalocat.6793

It took a few months to get 50 points. Started in January, finished a couple weeks ago.

If you only need 14 points for the skin that is very easy. Gw1 is harder to get into than gw2 imo, it is a lot more complicated, but you really don’t have to know what you are doing at all to get 14 points.

If you do decide to go through with it I have some advice. Someone said play through prophecies. Don’t. This was my second run at the game and the first time I started with prophecies. I gave up really fast and didn’t touch the game again for months. Get factions, make a ritualist. Look up spirit spam on the wiki. Look up everything on the wiki. The wiki is your very best friend.

Posted by: Melfice.5091

Melfice.5091

I feel you, my Ranger would love the Rockfur Raccoon, but I would need 21 HoM points from GW1 to get it.

Hopefully someday they release a slightly different raccoon my Ranger could obtain easier than buying and playing GW1

The raccoon is a minipet, you know that right?

Professional noob guardian

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

There is no way the HoM items should ever make it to gemstore or any other place in game… as others said… work for it. Or hope something else slightly along the lines might make it into the game.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Posted by: Eidola.9148

Eidola.9148

The raccoon is a minipet, you know that right?

Yes, indeed I do know that, nonetheless my Ranger would still love to have one!

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

u can still get it just play guild wars 1 unlock some acheivments and link your accounts together

Posted by: Lyralei.5920

Lyralei.5920

You want it? Work for it. Just like every single other GW1 player.

What’s next? Asking for God Walking Amongst Mere Mortals to be put on the gem store?

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

I remember how awesome Prismatic Focus looked like in concept art.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/d/d3/Chimeric_Prism_concept_art.jpg

Too bad it turned out to be pretty ugly.

Most of the hall of monument rewards were a huge letdown, they look far worse than the actual concept art.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Put it on the Gem Store and I would buy it in an instant. I want you to take my money Anet!

Buy GW1 – it’s still on sale. Then work your way up HoM to 14 points. You should be able to get at least 10-12 quite easily just by finishing all the campaigns and the War of Kryta update.

MOX doesn’t need any armor, he is ready to be put into HoM as soon as he is acquired. You’d need all 3 campaigns and HoM for it though.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

There’s no really perfect solution to this – yeah it’s an awful lot of stuff to do to get access to a weapon skin (although I would argue GW2 legendaries are far worse, maybe even ascendeds), but selling it on the BLTC is spitting in the face of the GW1 players, and there’s no way to make it not be.

So this is the way things will probably have to be. You can pick up the 14 HoM points or make do without it – up to you.

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

Posted by: nglcpyro.4906

nglcpyro.4906

Anything as a reward from GW should never be obtainable any other way. I never played it but if I spent all those hours playing it, continuing support through GW2 and getting limited stuff, only for it to show up in the store and be bought or unlocked some way, I’d be pretty annoyed.

As suggested if you really want it, can just unlock through GW

[OCD]Ordo Contegium Destinatus
-Plush Griffon Recruit of the Jade Quarry Militia-

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

The HoM skins are a reward for playing Guild Wars 1 and a thank you by the Devs to the Guild Wars 1 players who were loyal to the game for all those years. Since they are a reward and a thank you, to put the skins in the gem store now would be an exceptionally crass move.

With the China release of GW2, I’m actually expecting it to happen sooner or later. Maybe over there first, but eventually over here as well.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.