When WvW and World Completion Collide

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: frunkee.3962

frunkee.3962

I’ve started trying out a bit of WvW. I don’t often hang with the zerg, but there are plenty of corners of the map to be involved in even when the main action is somewhere else. Unfortunately I’m not that interested in my server doing well right now, and it’s entirely because of World Completion.

I’m on the Henge of Denravi server, and just this past week we dropped from Blue to Red. This was good for me because it let me pick up the Red Borderlands easily. We also, for a brief period, held most of the Eternal Battlegrounds map. Now all I am missing for world completion is the Green Borderlands. It’s possible that my server might take the entire Green Borderlands, but as a practical fact I’ll probably have to wait until we happen to become Green. At this point we are more likely to drop a tier to get to Green rather than gain enough to top our current tier. So I’m stuck rooting against my server.

I don’t mind the Eternal Battlegrounds being a requirement for World Completion. That encourages supporting the server and makes me want to play WvW. The problem is the (duplicated, repetitive, uninteresting, arbitrary) Borderlands that you have to repeat three times. If each Borderland was different that would at least make exploring them more fun, but it doesn’t even have that going for it. There’s nothing to look forward to in WvW but my server losing horribly over the next few weeks and then running through the same areas I’ve already done two times before. It’s too bad because I’d really rather join in and help out, but then that would be working against my World Completion goal.

Posted by: Notsure.7028

Notsure.7028

Is it possible to guest on a server that has control of that map?

Posted by: CHOAM.7852

CHOAM.7852

Is it possible to guest on a server that has control of that map?

No. You cannot guest for WvW.

Posted by: DandySlayer.7019

DandySlayer.7019

You can’t WvW on a guested server.

Posted by: Avatar.1923

see it as a personal challenge.

you dont “absolutely need world completion today”.

youll get it one day

and ALWAYS help a friend in need.

your goal can wait.
its an mmo after all, and your not stronger because you rushed and complained your way to a “map completion”….

Posted by: Notsure.7028

Notsure.7028

Did not know that. So if I dont pvp (I wvw a little) then there is no way I can get 100% map completion is there?

pvp not needed, but wvw is.

and imo its a good design decison for many reason.

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

This is why I will never have 100% completion. I have no desire to WvW and I am not going to go just to complete the map. That’s my decision though. What do I need map completion for anyway?

only legendary weapon.

but its normal that you cant be “legendary” if you did no wvw !

1 out of every 6 days you play gw2, try wvw.
maybe youll discover something

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

Neither will I ever have 100%. I got 3 POI and 3 Vistas left and the only way to get them is be on the RED server – I’ve been waiting for my server to be RED for 5 weeks now.

Seriously, why can’t servers be rotated. This would solve the problem.

Come on ANet fix this pls…

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

Posted by: CHOAM.7852

CHOAM.7852

Neither will I ever have 100%. I got 3 POI and 3 Vistas left and the only way to get them is be on the RED server – I’ve been waiting for my server to be RED for 5 weeks now.

Seriously, why can’t servers be rotated. This would solve the problem.

Come on ANet fix this pls…

Your server will draw red next week if you come in last for this week of WvW (but not so far down that you drop a tier).

Every POI and vista is technically accessible by conquest.

In the 3+ months I’ve been checking in WvW, my server has only been green maybe twice. It could still happen for you too.

Posted by: Cynn.1490

Cynn.1490

I’ve been waiting for my server to be green for nearly 2 months now, and it’s only been green 5 times since the launch of the game. All but 1 of those times was before the reset in feb. With the way that the ranking system works, it’s extremely hard to change ranks once the servers have settled into brackets, and this means that there’s no way for most people who have limited time to play to ever get WvW map completion. I’ve finished everything except for 3 poi and 1 vista, all in green areas that are never open. I’m actually almost finished with everything else I need for my legendary, even clovers and badges of honor.
There’s little reason to keep the colors tied to rank. And if Anet are really tied down to that idea, then maybe we should have WvW “seasons” that reset every 6 months. At least then we’d have a chance for people to get their exploration at the beginning of each season.

If I can’t complete my legendary because of WvW ranking tiers I might just take an extended break from the game to keep from getting more frustrated. I have a kid and a full time job, and as much as I love the content in GW2, I’m getting sick of being blockaded from progress by the game itself.

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Instead of waiting, how about collecting several guilds and plan with the entire server for a “map wvw completion event”

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Phaedryn.3698

Phaedryn.3698

I’ve started trying out a bit of WvW. I don’t often hang with the zerg, but there are plenty of corners of the map to be involved in even when the main action is somewhere else. Unfortunately I’m not that interested in my server doing well right now, and it’s entirely because of World Completion.

[Emphasis mine]

That is because there is no motivation to care about your server doing well, but there is a motivation for map completion. Huge design flaw of GW2. People just don’t care (as a server whole, not as individuals). This isn’t DAoC, with a relic system that made people care about the state of the frontier and actually drop what they were doing to take (or more importantly defend) relics. Of course, with the queue system this become highly problematic also.

Posted by: Delryn.7235

Delryn.7235

Since day one I was protesting the idea of map completion being tied to WvW. You don’t have to complete PvP areas to get map completion, you don’t even have to complete dungeon areas to get map completion… so why WvW?

Honestly it’d make more sense if you had to complete the points of interests in each dungeon instead of the WvW maps, WvW is a player versus player competitive environment for players who enjoy that kind of thing, if you’re a PvE player you’re forced to PvP to get your map completion.

I myself have map completion, I managed to get it before world transfers became paid, so I had a huge advantage over everyone who needs to complete it now – and I think that’s totally unfair.

I managed to just hop between servers and get what I needed and be done with it, even back then when you could do that I was 100% against it, because it ruined WvW for players who actually wanted to play WvW since there were a bunch of people from various servers jumping around to finish the map.

Phaedryn.3698

Honestly it’d make more sense if you had to complete the points of interests in each dungeon instead of the WvW maps, WvW is a player versus player competitive environment for players who enjoy that kind of thing, if you’re a PvE player you’re forced to PvP to get your map completion.

I would make two comments regarding this. First, guild wars is a PvP oriented game, always has been. This leads to the second comment, and that is that PvE is dogkitten in this game anyway. If you are a PvE player you really should be looking for another game.

Posted by: Snaekolf.5973

Snaekolf.5973

I’ve got one POI and one vista (both in the same keep) to go for map completion…I’ve been waiting to get those for over two months.

My server seems to be green all the time and nver blue, which is what I need. That keep is right next to the home teams main castle, so it NEVER flips. I check practically every night too…

Winslow Arden – 80 – Thief
Mintari Le Voss – 80 – Mesmer
Winslow Heer – 80 – Ranger

Delryn.7235

I would make two comments regarding this. First, guild wars is a PvP oriented game, always has been. This leads to the second comment, and that is that PvE is dogkitten in this game anyway. If you are a PvE player you really should be looking for another game.

I’m sorry but you just said a lot of wrong things. Guild Wars 1 was a PvP oriented game in which the PvE was dogkitten. However through expansions they improved the PvE of it and it became an all ’round great game.

GW2 not only is not a PvP oriented game but GW2 gets more PvE attention than it does PvP. I personally play PvE, WvW, and PvP. I mostly play PvE, I’d play PvP more if there were more people playing PvP but this game has a LONG way to go before PvP gets good, and WvW is now playable with some recent updates because it was dogkitten before.

In the end GW 2 isn’t a PvE game, and isn’t a PvP game – it’s just an all ’round great game. It has good PvE parts and good PvP parts, has some PvE flaws and some PvP flaws. But as it stands PvE is getting most of the love and is the most complete part of the game.

However whether GW2 is a PvE or PvP game isn’t even the point of this thread. The point is WvW should either not be part of map completion because of how it works or should be fixed to better suit the map completion needs it serves.

(edited by Delryn.7235)

Posted by: DryHumour.1307

DryHumour.1307

I’ll add my traditional plea for separate PvE versions of the WvWvW maps. These would award absolutely no PvP benefits (no blueprints, no badges) so would not affect balance.

This would help move world completionists out of the WvWvW map and queue slots at the same time as solving the reachability problem (likewise opening up the JPs and vistas for those who like to take their time to look around). Since you still need badges for a Legendary, you’d still have to WvWvW. (Also, completing the PvE versions could simply not award Gifts since those are only useful for Legendaries.)

Phaedryn.3698

I’m sorry but you just said a lot of wrong things. Guild Wars 1 was a PvP oriented game in which the PvE was dogkitten. However through expansions they improved the PvE of it and it became an all ’round great game.

GW2 not only is not a PvP oriented game but GW2 gets more PvE attention than it does PvP. I personally play PvE, WvW, and PvP. I mostly play PvE, I’d play PvP more if there were more people playing PvP but this game has a LONG way to go before PvP gets good, and WvW is now playable with some recent updates because it was dogkitten before.

In the end GW 2 isn’t a PvE game, and isn’t a PvP game – it’s just an all ’round great game. It has good PvE parts and good PvP parts, has some PvE flaws and some PvP flaws. But as it stands PvE is getting most of the love and is the most complete part of the game.

However whether GW2 is a PvE or PvP game isn’t even the point of this thread. The point is WvW should either not be part of map completion because of how it works or should be fixed to better suit the map completion needs it serves.

First, when I say PvP I mean WvW. I haven’t stepped foot in spvp and have zero desire to ever do so as I am not a fan of pointless cage fights.

Second, while I plaued GW1, I stopped before there were any expansions so I do not, and can not, compare this game to that one.

I do know that the three way fight mechanic of WvWvW was the primary selling point and only one I ever saw talked about leading up to the launch of the game. It is also the only reason many of us came here, or play at all. The fact that it’s had so many problems and is, frankly, quite a disapointment, has caused many to stop playing but that doesn’t mean that the PvE is “good” by any stretch of the imagination. The story is horribly written, the combat mechanics are chaotic at best (broken at worst), and don’t even get me started on the glitchy dungeon mechanics.

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

Completion is doable with this setup. If you want it yesterday, then probably no…. It takes a lot of patience to get the WvW part of it but it can and does happen. That is one of the things that makes this an achievement and something you know you really put the effort in for. I am an average-jane player and just wanted it because of the challenge of doing it appealed to me. I see plenty of people running around with the title over their heads so folk are getting it done.

For the maps you don’t have, there are areas you can get or sneak through to get those POI and views (actually, that was a LOT of fun to do those bits). Then you wait for map rotation (yeah that…it does take a while) and run into the areas you didn’t have access to formerly. No one says you have to actually participate in the WvW activities though I did get caught up in a few on my quest and enjoyed running with the mobs, helping out and picking up a POI or two while I did it.

Initially, I did not check that often in WvW to see what parts of the map were open and only really paid attention once I had nearly all the rest of the areas on the other maps. Otherwise it might not have taken as long for me to complete. Only advice is to check every time you log in to see what you might have access to, take advantage of any opportunities and be patient, very patient.

Delryn.7235

Completion is doable with this setup. If you want it yesterday, then probably no…. It takes a lot of patience to get the WvW part of it but it can and does happen. That is one of the things that makes this an achievement and something you know you really put the effort in for. I am an average-jane player and just wanted it because of the challenge of doing it appealed to me. I see plenty of people running around with the title over their heads so folk are getting it done.

For the maps you don’t have, there are areas you can get or sneak through to get those POI and views (actually, that was a LOT of fun to do those bits). Then you wait for map rotation (yeah that…it does take a while) and run into the areas you didn’t have access to formerly. No one says you have to actually participate in the WvW activities though I did get caught up in a few on my quest and enjoyed running with the mobs, helping out and picking up a POI or two while I did it.

Initially, I did not check that often in WvW to see what parts of the map were open and only really paid attention once I had nearly all the rest of the areas on the other maps. Otherwise it might not have taken as long for me to complete. Only advice is to check every time you log in to see what you might have access to, take advantage of any opportunities and be patient, very patient.

I honestly think that’s a bit unfair and unrealistic to a lot of people. There are many servers which get stuck with the same color for months, it happened to me.

Originally I was completely against switching servers just to get map completion, I thought; “I should be able to get my achievements on my own server through my own hard work, without having to cheat and switch servers”. However after weeks and weeks and weeks of it never switching I got tired of that and decided to just switch servers to get WvW completion.

I honestly felt like I was cheating the game when I did that – but I had no option! My server stayed the exact same color for months, imagine how long before it finally switched… but then I’d have to wait again for it to switch again.

At least I had the privilege of free transfers, it’s unfair that people are stuck without being able to get map completion because of this one aspect of the game. Some servers don’t do too well for themselves and usually don’t own what’s their own territories in the map… so people in these servers are forced to not have map completion? Or are forced to pay and switch out leaving behind their guilds and friends to be able to finally get map completion? That’s just not fair.

I myself was against how WvW and map completion interacted with each other before I had map completion, and now that I do have map completion I’m still against it. Just because I don’t have to deal with this bullkitten anymore doesn’t make it any more fair for all those other people who do.

Posted by: madmonkey.4138

madmonkey.4138

Since day one I was protesting the idea of map completion being tied to WvW. You don’t have to complete PvP areas to get map completion, you don’t even have to complete dungeon areas to get map completion… so why WvW?

How’s this then: for a Gift of Exploration, WvW players (those who have WvW map completion and a prerequisite amount of WXP) should not be required to complete a single PVE map.

Delryn.7235

How’s this then: for a Gift of Exploration, WvW players (those who have WvW map completion and a prerequisite amount of WXP) should not be required to complete a single PVE map.

I like the idea of motivating someone to play something they’d usually not be comfortable with or would usually have no desire to. I don’t like the idea of forcing someone to play something they’d not be comfortable or enjoy doing.

And honestly for a WvW player to get map completion by having to explore the PvE world is not a big deal – it’s time consuming but doable. You’ll never have to wait around for weeks hoping you can explore a specific part of PvE.

While for a PvE player to get map completion by having to explore the WvW map is really mostly based on luck, timing and chance.

Delryn.7235

I used to hate WvW and avoid it like the plague, it was simply something I had no desire in doing. The fact I was forced to do it in order to get map completion and to finish monthly before the recent updates was something that really bothered me – and made me despise WvW even more.

However now that all of that’s out of the way, now that I don’t have to do WvW to complete monthly and now that the frustration of map completion is gone I find myself occasionally going into WvW and actually enjoying it. Especially with the new updates which gave me motivation and reasons to actually go in and play it without feeling like I’m forced to do so.

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

I honestly think that’s a bit unfair and unrealistic to a lot of people. There are many servers which get stuck with the same color for months, it happened to me.

Originally I was completely against switching servers just to get map completion, I thought; “I should be able to get my achievements on my own server through my own hard work, without having to cheat and switch servers”. However after weeks and weeks and weeks of it never switching I got tired of that and decided to just switch servers to get WvW completion.

I honestly felt like I was cheating the game when I did that – but I had no option! My server stayed the exact same color for months, imagine how long before it finally switched… but then I’d have to wait again for it to switch again.

At least I had the privilege of free transfers, it’s unfair that people are stuck without being able to get map completion because of this one aspect of the game. Some servers don’t do too well for themselves and usually don’t own what’s their own territories in the map… so people in these servers are forced to not have map completion? Or are forced to pay and switch out leaving behind their guilds and friends to be able to finally get map completion? That’s just not fair.

I myself was against how WvW and map completion interacted with each other before I had map completion, and now that I do have map completion I’m still against it. Just because I don’t have to deal with this bullkitten anymore doesn’t make it any more fair for all those other people who do.

I did wait months before I got the rotation I needed. (I could have switched servers at the time when they were free but just chose not to) There is absolutely nothing forcing anyone to switch servers to get the achievement other than their own desire to have the achievement sooner than later. I am not seeing anyone forced to spend their monies to change servers here or not having any options but a certain course available to them. There is nothing unfair about how the achievement is set up. There is no requirement to actually participate in WvW other than being careful about getting in the path of a raid or ongoing event inadvertently.

I see a lot of folk around with the title over their heads so it cannot be that hard for so many to have achieved it. How they got there was their choice on how to do it.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Agreed. WvW players should be able to get legendaries through pure WvW activity, and PvE players should be able to get legendaries without WvW activity.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

I’ve got one POI and one vista (both in the same keep) to go for map completion…I’ve been waiting to get those for over two months.

My server seems to be green all the time and nver blue, which is what I need. That keep is right next to the home teams main castle, so it NEVER flips. I check practically every night too…

Yeap same for me, 2 vista’s and a POI (Green area) in the same keep (3 months wait), we just changed from red to blue, so there’s still no chance of us taking that keep.

Looks like another 3 month wait.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.