When a company fails their customers...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Wander.5780

Wander.5780

It should be the job of the company to make it up to their customers. If Amazon has a guaranteed delivery date on an item you ordered, and the order doesn’t meet the guaranteed delivery time, Amazon makes it right via refund, kitten credit, or a free month on your prime membership.

We continually receive nothing from the dev team other than lip service when something they promised wasn’t delivered. Why not at least offer us something to make it right like some gems or some black lion keys, maybe release some of the older LS content for free… give us something!!!

Posted by: Aceofsppades.6873

Aceofsppades.6873

That actually isn’t a bad idea. I personally think giving some amount of gems would be the best options as it would at as a measure of “store credit” recompensation and incentize people to stay with the game.

Posted by: nicknamenick.2437

nicknamenick.2437

Lol so this game is dying, but instead of fixing it you want your legendary crafting stuff? By the time you have crafted it then the game is dead..

No thanx, fix the game! At this point i totally agree with anet…
Sure it sucks, but get over it..

Posted by: Mishoo.5918

Mishoo.5918

Monetizing your disappointments does not help to improve the game.

(edited by Mishoo.5918)

Wander.5780

Monetizing your disappointments do not help to improve the game.

People quitting the game in droves doesn’t improve the game either. If there was something to stop the hemorraghing of players in the form of a gift you would be against it?

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

People quitting the game in droves doesn’t improve the game either. If there was something to stop the hemorraghing of players in the form of a gift you would be against it?

Do you have numbers and actual proof of these “droves”?

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

Lol so this game is dying, but instead of fixing it you want your legendary crafting stuff? By the time you have crafted it then the game is dead..

Think you’ll find a lot of people have or are getting over it, along with getting over this game into something either newer, shinier, or a better track record. For some like myself, it’s not a matter of canceling (or PR speak of Suspended Indefinitely), it’s a matter of another broken promised feature listed right on the HoT site.

I think GW2 will survive this, but I’m gonna take Mike’s advice and not trust what they say anymore.

As for OP, nice thought but considering nobody techinically lost anything, I doubt ANET will give anybody anything other than a recommended gemstore purchase.

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

Wander.5780

I think it is pretty obvious with the general discontent on the forums, which has pretty much been the case since the following week after HoT release. The endless dump truck of gem store items to keep the revenue stream going with no steady content updates also indicates they are understaffed and not making enough money.

I’ll admit its speculation and nothing more, but the same trend was happening with WoW shortly after WoD was released… lots of moaning on the forums and then when the quarterly subscriber numbers were released the next year, they were abysmal.

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

The forums is a very very small sample of the community and player base. Also as I’ve said in other posts, people who are content or satisfied/enjoying the game tend to be playing vs posting complains. So the nature of the forums tends to look worse then the actual over all feel of the community. Unhappy people tend to be more vocal about what they don’t like.

As far as gem store items go, they do have to make money some how, fixing stuff also takes an income source to keep fixing paid for.

As far as the WoW thing, I duno because I didn’t every really get into it so I’m not sure what WoD etc was, but competition and other releases might also be a cause. Recent releases may draw people away.

Posted by: nicknamenick.2437

nicknamenick.2437

Think you’ll find a lot of people have or are getting over it, along with getting over this game into something either newer, shinier, or a better track record. For some like myself, it’s not a matter of canceling (or PR speak of Suspended Indefinitely), it’s a matter of another broken promised feature listed right on the HoT site.

I think GW2 will survive this, but I’m gonna take Mike’s advice and not trust what they say anymore.

As for OP, nice thought but considering nobody techinically lost anything, I doubt ANET will give anybody anything other than a recommended gemstore purchase.

So now you dont trust anet for telling us? So you rather want them waste more time (months/years) to make this stuff only so they dont break there promise they made? And in the end wasting allot of time fixing the bigger part of the game… Well sir i rather have the way Anet is doing now on my work then the other silent/wasting time just because they dont want to break a promise.
The only big fault here is that Anet should have seen this coming… And they should never make a promise if they are not even sure if they can even deliver it. That is indeed very bad from them.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I love Amazon. I accidentally bought Prime for an account I didn’t intend to, and they refunded me the full $99 even though I didn’t catch my mistake until a month later.

I appreciate customer service like that.

Posted by: eleshazar.6902

eleshazar.6902

Personally, gems wouldn’t appease me in the least. I wanted legendaries because it was something to DO in this game where there is so little right now giving players a reason to log in. Giving me gems means that I can buy some skin, look at it for a minute or two, and then log out because there’s still nothing to do in game. I’d rather they reverse the decision, and fulfill their promises. They need to learn that deadlines are a thing, and while there are times where you have to push deadlines, you can’t do that time and time again like this company does.

All professions level 80| Champion Paragon, Phantom, Genius
Phoenix Ascendant [ASH] | Rank 80

Wander.5780

Personally, gems wouldn’t appease me in the least. I wanted legendaries because it was something to DO in this game where there is so little right now giving players a reason to log in. Giving me gems means that I can buy some skin, look at it for a minute or two, and then log out because there’s still nothing to do in game. I’d rather they reverse the decision, and fulfill their promises. They need to learn that deadlines are a thing, and while there are times where you have to push deadlines, you can’t do that time and time again like this company does.

I agree, however, when they monumentally screw up time and time again and expect us to just endure whatever lengths of time between content they originally stated would be here, there HAS to be a make good on their end. They need to give us something as a token of good faith… its a measure of respecting your customers.

Posted by: Felahr.9830

Felahr.9830

I agree, however, when they monumentally screw up time and time again and expect us to just endure whatever lengths of time between content they originally stated would be here, there HAS to be a make good on their end. They need to give us something as a token of good faith… its a measure of respecting your customers.

The only thing that would make me happy as a customer is if they actually finish some (more than 2) of their abandoned promised projects. I have only been playing for 9ish months, and that entire time has been a neverending stream of “we are doing X! …. oh no wait no we arent” again and again. Go back. Finish what you started. Stop lying to me. Stop bouncing from idea to idea like a thumbless monkey on meth. Its just that simple.

(edited by Felahr.9830)

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

if any of you can prove via the fine print that they did not sell the goods the said they would, then do that. what i hear is you blowing off steam and crying for free stuff without actually following through.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Wander.5780

if any of you can prove via the fine print that they did not sell the goods the said they would, then do that. what i hear is you blowing off steam and crying for free stuff without actually following through.

Have you not been on these forums at all the past 5 days?

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

The Infinite Continue Coin has been useless since 2013, with no refunds or apologies. Placating customers they disappoint doesn’t seem to be part of ANet’s business model.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

I think it is pretty obvious with the general discontent on the forums, which has pretty much been the case since the following week after HoT release. The endless dump truck of gem store items to keep the revenue stream going with no steady content updates also indicates they are understaffed and not making enough money.

I’ll admit its speculation and nothing more, but the same trend was happening with WoW shortly after WoD was released… lots of moaning on the forums and then when the quarterly subscriber numbers were released the next year, they were abysmal.

“General discontent on the forums” is literally nonstop. All that indicates is that somebody will always be complaining about something. Sure, they obviously bit off more than they could chew with the legendary weapons, and that was a mistake. But all this talk of “broken promises” is as old as the game itself. Things change, get over it.

They set an ambitious goal, and they haven’t been able to meet it. That kinda sucks, but you know what? There’s plenty of other things you could be doing with your time. If you want to keep doing something you don’t enjoy in the name of some phony “loyalty,” that’s on you, and to act like you deserve something in exchange is just preposterous.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: Kayberz.5346

Kayberz.5346

Well technically they promised new legendarys, and we got some, im pretty sure they NEVER promised an ENTIRE new set of legendarys for every weapon type. Just more people jumping to to conclusions based on their wishful thinking and personal “anti anet” bias.
This is exactly why anet is so hesitant to tell the community what projects they are working on, because the community hears one thing they say, and then through endless speculation and forum misinfo suddenly a small comment about “intentions” for “possible” future content becomes a long list of supposed “broken promises”.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

16 weapons was the set they promised. We’re not getting 16 weapons. It’s simple, really.

Posted by: Aceofsppades.6873

Aceofsppades.6873

Well technically they promised new legendarys, and we got some, im pretty sure they NEVER promised an ENTIRE new set of legendarys for every weapon type. Just more people jumping to to conclusions based on their wishful thinking and personal “anti anet” bias.

If you have to use technicalities to avoid accusation then there is definitely room for improvement.

Posted by: Felahr.9830

Felahr.9830

This is exactly why anet is so hesitant to tell the community what projects they are working on, because the community hears one thing they say, and then through endless speculation and forum misinfo suddenly a small comment about “intentions” for “possible” future content becomes a long list of supposed “broken promises”.

yes they did. they promised a new set of 16, it was literally one of the main selling points of HoT

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

It should be the job of the company to make it up to their customers. If Amazon has a guaranteed delivery date on an item you ordered, and the order doesn’t meet the guaranteed delivery time, Amazon makes it right via refund, kitten credit, or a free month on your prime membership.

We continually receive nothing from the dev team other than lip service when something they promised wasn’t delivered. Why not at least offer us something to make it right like some gems or some black lion keys, maybe release some of the older LS content for free… give us something!!!

Too many opposing opinions on the whole subject. In the long run, if Anet decided to do anything at all, it would be insultingly small and the forums would light up with posts from people who feel they were shorted yet again.

The only satisfactory solution would be to pull half the team from expansion 2 and redistribute them to LS3, legendaries, and a number of floaters for other needs.

That is my biggest issue with all of this. They horsed around and dangled precursor crafting in front of us to see how we’d react, then when they discovered how much people wanted it they saw a gold mine and decided to hide it behind a paywall. Same thing with new legendary weapons. If they know what is good for them, they will not lock newer ones behind another paywall like expac 2.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Kayberz.5346

Kayberz.5346

This is just a smart decision for the games health, they kittened up in the first place putting so much development time into such a niche aspect of the game, i feel like alot of the recent changes, such as colin leaving has to do with anets unrealistic and un-prioritized game development goals.

From what i can see, it seems like they decided to take suggestions from the community for future content and the whole “legendary scavenger hunt” was a popular suggestion so they went with it, but im guessing that certain devs with a lot of pull in the company were REALLY into the idea and wanted to go “all out” on the project, and were allowed to, and as a result the whole scope of the new legendary crafting system was made unrealistically grand. While the entire expansion was in development they probably figured that after it launched they would have more resources to finish off the legendary scavenger hunt project they started without realizing how needlessly elaborate they made it and just how much of an impact it has on the games economy, especially for how small a percentage of the population would even use it.
It just seems like they put to many resources into a fun “pet project” without really examining the long term repercussions or practicality of said project for the actual development of the game as a whole

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Monetizing your disappointments do not help to improve the game.

You think giving away gems is going to do that? You’re not serious now are you? You don’t give yourself or others very much credit as consumers if that’s your thinking.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

This is just a smart decision for the games health, they kittened up in the first place putting so much development time into such a niche aspect of the game, i feel like alot of the recent changes, such as colin leaving has to do with anets unrealistic and un-prioritized game development goals.

From what i can see, it seems like they decided to take suggestions from the community for future content and the whole “legendary scavenger hunt” was a popular suggestion so they went with it, but im guessing that certain devs with a lot of pull in the company were REALLY into the idea and wanted to go “all out” on the project, and were allowed to, and as a result the whole scope of the new legendary crafting system was made unrealistically grand. While the entire expansion was in development they probably figured that after it launched they would have more resources to finish off the legendary scavenger hunt project they started without realizing how needlessly elaborate they made it and just how much of an impact it has on the games economy, especially for how small a percentage of the population would even use it.
It just seems like they put to many resources into a fun “pet project” without really examining the long term repercussions or practicality of said project for the actual development of the game as a whole

Not an unreasonabe supposition IMO.

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

You think giving away gems is going to do that? You’re not serious now are you? You don’t give yourself or others very much credit as consumers if that’s your thinking.

It isn’t about gems, it’s about player loyalty and customer relations. When players feel disrespected they aren’t likely to stick around or put faith in a company to do better in future. ANet have been terrible about maintaining the good will of their players.

I know a lot of players who stopped buying gems because of the Infinite Continue Coin issue. This is much, much bigger.

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

The thing is that in the case of Amazon they say, before you buy, that they are offering this guarantee. Anet hasn’t done this. I can’t think of anyone who has ever backed a game of any type with a “Money Back Guarantee” if you don’t like it or don’t like how it turned out. I mean it sounds cool but they aren’t obligated to and have never advertised as such.

Posted by: Darknicrofia.2604

Darknicrofia.2604

The forums is a very very small sample of the community and player base.

people need to stop saying/believing this rhetoric already, its 2016 for gods sake, the internet isn’t some extremely technical and inaccessible thing that only the pocket protector wearing geeks uses. I can guarantee you just about 100% of the active player base in GW2 has heard about the discontinuation/indefinite suspension of legendary weapons by now.

Darknicrofia Sage – Bad Gerdian, Merciless Legend, Platinum NA Solo Que

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

I don’t care what your feelings about legendary crafting on its own are. This decision is making people realize that anet has a habit of leaving things undone. It was announced less than a month before the release of heart of thorns that the expansion would only be shipping with 3 new legendaries, instead of the anticipated full set. Do you honestly think they didn’t realize until a month before launch that they were not going to be able to deliver the full set in time? Or do you think they waited until the last possible moment to break the news, just hoping for a few more pre-orders in that time? They had to know 5 months ago that the process for creating the new set was not working well enough, but we’ve been strung along.

This wasn’t something they said they “hoped” to accomplish, or would try really hard to accomplish. This was part of their “finished package” phase. The xpac wasn’t going out until it was finished. Completely.

And people defended it when it was unfinished, and they’re defending it now that it’s likely going to remain unfinished for at least as long as Super Adventure Box, since that was one guy’s side project.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: enlightened.5396

enlightened.5396

Bought the same CD from Amazon twice recently by mistake – they gave me a refund and said to just keep the CD. That sort of customer service pays dividends.

IGN – San Jacinto
Vanishing Legacy (VALE)

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Yeah, I’m not interested in “hush gems”. I’m interested in them finishing what they start.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Back when they gave up on their town clothing system because they couldn’t incorporate it into the wardrobe system I got a ton of gems refunded. Was pretty nice damage control, lol. Still miss those skins though as they were. If only it worked out. :< Maybe HoT deserves a price cut/partial refund or something, I dunno. Already needed it, actually, considering the core game bundle nonsense.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: cosmicegg.8502

cosmicegg.8502

The forums is a very very small sample of the community and player base. Also as I’ve said in other posts, people who are content or satisfied/enjoying the game tend to be playing vs posting complains. So the nature of the forums tends to look worse then the actual over all feel of the community. Unhappy people tend to be more vocal about what they don’t like.

As far as gem store items go, they do have to make money some how, fixing stuff also takes an income source to keep fixing paid for.

As far as the WoW thing, I duno because I didn’t every really get into it so I’m not sure what WoD etc was, but competition and other releases might also be a cause. Recent releases may draw people away.

Well I know its anecdotal information but over 40 people on my friends list and 2 are on and over 150 in my guild 6 are on …. just saying.

Lea Moonbow
Blackgate

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

The thing about people saying on the forum that they are quitting the game is this: most of ‘em don’t actually quit the game. Just sayin’…

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I love how all will be forgiven and we will stoop negatively commenting on GW2/Hot if they just give us free stuff.

That’s called extortion in some circles.

Did ANet overpromised? Oh hell yeah. Were new legendary weapons weapons a major feature? No, the precursor crafting system was. Even back at the HoT announcement they said it was going to be a stepped release for the new ones. At least they got the old precursor crafting done.

Too many are presenting the notion that Heart of Thorns had a “: New Legendary Weapons Edition” tacked on the name. Other than the failure that was the WvW update, they pretty much delivered on everything they stated in that January 2015 announcement.

Were some of those things terribly well thought out? No according the the 400 gold wooden chair you can craft for your guild hall that you still can’t sit in. There may have been a lot of good ideas on paper that simply did not end up as compelling and fun when delivered. I’ll say it again, they remade Orr, the least popular place, for me, to revisit once you finished your Personal Story.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

No, no it isnt. The majority of discontent on the forums are from people who have nothing better to do than kitten about everything. The people who dont care, or arent really that upset? They’re content to keep playing the game like they did before the announcement. That’s why all the kitten threads. It’s the clear minority doing their hardest at rabble-rousing.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

It isn’t about gems, it’s about player loyalty and customer relations. When players feel disrespected they aren’t likely to stick around or put faith in a company to do better in future. ANet have been terrible about maintaining the good will of their players.

I know a lot of players who stopped buying gems because of the Infinite Continue Coin issue. This is much, much bigger.

So giving away gems is about loyalty and customer relations? Sorry, but I’m just not that medieval a customer to believe that if a company values me and they make a mistake, that throwing stuff at me makes me feel good.

Gems doesn’t fix what’s wrong, so I don’t want them. I want things fixed. Any player that accepts gems as a way to be placated to doesn’t care in the first place; they are just looking for something for free.

Posted by: Silverstone.4539

Silverstone.4539

Anet are destroying their own community

To be fair this has been happening for a while. But this is like the final nail in the coffin for some (indefinitely suspend legendry weapons). After bad balanced patches, neglected game types, now also broken promises on top of broken promises. some of the people in game are not happy. There is a toxic atmosphere in many game types I’m finding now. Along with a helpless feeling. I want to help fix it all but can’t. it’s also not my place to.

I for one feel betrayed by the company, there by effecting my mood and how I conduct myself while playing their game. It is a slow and systemic failure by Anet that has lead to all of this. I don’t want to walk away, but one can only do so much, and take so much.

Been playing GW from 2005