When are you "rich"

When are you "rich"

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Badgermilk.7289

Badgermilk.7289

Hi,

What gold amount is considered rich in this game?

I’ve noticed certain items in the trading post in the thousands of gold, to me that seems like a vast amount of gold.

So when are you wealthy?
100 gold? 1000? 10000?

When are you "rich"

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Tens of thousands of Gold? Several thousand Gold?

I know I’m poor at less than one thousand. /shrug

When are you "rich"

Posted by: Mawtaw.7432

Mawtaw.7432

I would say rich is someone who has arround 5k gold worth of mats and /or gold. While Ultra rich is someone who has all legendary weapons and 40k gold in bag

When are you "rich"

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

I have about 2,300 gold at the moment and according to gw2efficiency.com that puts me as higher than 95% of the 139,434 accounts that use that website. So 2,300 gold puts you in the top 6%. The richest account that uses that site has 199,384 gold. So that’ll give you an idea of what the richest of the rich have.

When are you "rich"

Badgermilk.7289

Found a cool site that gave me some answers. =)
https://gw2efficiency.com

So if you break 57,432 gold on your total account worth you enter the top 10% of all players. =)

For pure Gold availible 1143 Gold breaks you into the top 10% apparently.

Am I reading the data correct if some one can check it out. =)

When are you "rich"

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I think account worth is definitely a better measure than simply gold. It’d be a bit silly if things like making a legendary weapon or ascended armour reduced the ‘value’ of your account.

I’m not sure how you’d determine who is rich and who is not though. Especially since this game doesn’t really have a proper economy. You don’t have a pre-determined income like most people in real-life who get most their money from their job, but you also don’t have regular costs.

Given enough time anyone can afford anything simply by not buying anything else, which isn’t really an option in real life. I’d love to say I’m just gonna stop paying rent and buying food for a few months while I save up but that wouldn’t work so well. In GW2 I stopped buying everything except salvage kits for about 9 months to buy a precursor and the only consequence was I didn’t get any other new toys in that time.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

When are you "rich"

Posted by: Daniel.5428

Daniel.5428

Hi,

I’ve noticed certain items in the trading post in the thousands of gold, to me that seems like a vast amount of gold.

So when are you wealthy?
100 gold? 1000? 10000?

Is not about gold. You are rich when you mastered most content and got the most out of them. For example I have 240 gold at the moment but 4 legendary weapons, 1 legendary back, full set of legendary armor and the legendary trinket….I know people who have 5k gold just because they farmed but they can’t take anything else than the old classic legendary weapons because the other things like the set of armor are locked behind content like raid or achivments or w3/pvp etc.

When are you "rich"

Badgermilk.7289

Hi,

So when are you wealthy?
100 gold? 1000? 10000?

Is not about gold. You are rich when you mastered most content and got the most out of them. For example I have 240 gold at the moment but 4 legendary weapons, 1 legendary back, full set of legendary armor and the legendary trinket….I know people who have 5k gold just because they farmed but they can’t take anything else than the old classic legendary weapons because the other things like the set of armor are locked behind content like raid or achivments or w3/pvp etc.

Yeah ofcouse. =)

Though I’m a little curious about the wealth aspect as I find the Trading Post to be alsmot a game in itself.

When are you "rich"

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

So if you break 57,432 gold on your total account worth you enter the top 10% of all players. =)

That is correct.

When are you "rich"

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

@Danikat: You can just take the amount of money you have left for yourself after you payed all the bills, and then use it to compare it to the game economy. As soon as you earn more money than you spend, you have disposable income. I don’t consider my full salary mine. Mine is what is left after paying taxes, insurances, rent, bills, groceries, my future self etc. What’s left is my disposable income, and just like in GW2, I could choose to not buy any shinies for 9 months to make a big purchase.

One way to “calculate” wealth is the time you could live and keep your living standard without having to work. If you buy/craft nice armor/weapons or food regularly, or donate to your guild hall regularly, this is your living standard. Let’s say playing normally costs you 50 gold per week. You get out of your way to pay the bills by farming stuff or grind L40 fractal. If you have 2000 gold, you could just do what you always do (without having to farm) for 40 days before you run out of money. Someone who only spends 30 gold per week and has 2000 gold would survive almost 67 days. By that definition, he’s wealthier.

So even if you get much income because you raid or do T4 fractals, if your living standard includes fashion war, you cannot get rich. You accumulate things, but don’t get wealthier. It’s different if you buy things that generate or save money, or help you getting more. I got the Unbound Magic gathering tools and they will pay for themselves in the long run, I think that was a really good investment. I’m also working on the legendary pistol HOPE atm, that’s basically a waste of money because it won’t make my account any better. I also don’t see why I should include it when calculating my account’s wealth, unless I plan to sell the whole account to someone for real money.

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

When are you "rich"

Posted by: Marrgon.6852

Marrgon.6852

This is such an interesting question! I believe you’re truly rich when you are just enjoying the game in whatever way you want to play it. I play the game with my family, we just level through PVE and only need gold for weapon/armour upgrades etc. Nothing to fancy, we don’t play raids for example. We periodically start a new character and work through it all again (including jumping). I just dropped below 300g and was looking around my bank/characters for money sources and realised that there is an absolute fortune in crafting materials, we have 100s worth of mystic coins alone.

What’s beautiful about GW2 is that you really can just do what you want and find endless hours of entertainment.

When are you "rich"

Posted by: serialkicker.5274

serialkicker.5274

I’d say 30k+ or something like that. A lot of people would probably think 5k gold makes you rich, because they can’t see themselves obtaining and saving up that amount of gold. But on the other hand, 5k gold is not that impressive, you buy one of the “luxury” items and poof, you are broke again. So, I’d say if you have your character decently fashioned and equipped and you still at least 30k gold, I’d consider that rich.

When are you "rich"

Posted by: lmaogg.7325

lmaogg.7325

when I have more than 300 gold in hand. 5 years and I had never exceed that amount once

When are you "rich"

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

You’re rich when you can’t think of anything you need a certain currency for anymore. That could be 300 gold or 3,000 gold. Or 0 gold and 12 Black Lion Claim Tickets.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

When are you "rich"

Posted by: Brutaly.6257

Brutaly.6257

Though I’m a little curious about the wealth aspect as I find the Trading Post to be alsmot a game in itself.

Agree, i find it to be a game in itself, making gold on the trader is just pure fun.

Will make tons of it after the balance patch (people want new armor/weapon stats) is launched to night and will speculate heavily after the beta weekend and cash in when PoF is released….

When are you "rich"

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

If your account is worth over 100k on GW2 efficiency I would say you are rich regardless of the amount of gold you have in your bag.

When are you "rich"

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I wouldn’t say “rich,” but I’m well off, into the 80th percentile for account value. But liquid gold to speak of.. ha! I got squat. :P

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

When are you "rich"

Posted by: killermanjaro.5670

killermanjaro.5670

This is such an interesting question! I believe you’re truly rich when you are just enjoying the game in whatever way you want to play it.

Pretty much this for me, I don’t have any legendary weapons or legendary armour, my bags aren’t overflowing with gold, and I haven’t even got 1 stack of most high end crafting mats like mystic coins etc. I’m geared in ascended stuff, I’ve got some weapon skins I like, and that’s fine with me. I always enjoy myself when I’m playing the game, and I’d rather always be doing whatever I find fun rather than grinding the same thing over and over just because it’s the most efficient way to farm gold to be rich.

That said I would like to work towards a legendary sword for weaver spec, never been interested in legendaries before as I use staff, and I don’t really like the look of either legendary staff. But the swords look really cool!

Defining “rich” by account value, gold, mats etc, is difficult because it could be achieved by just being rich irl & spending loads of money on tonnes of gems to convert to gold.

When are you "rich"

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Rich starts whenever you can afford the corresponding title (it costs 1k gold) without making any sacrifices to your regular spending and activities.

So I’d say, at around 10K in liquid gold.

When are you "rich"

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

You aren’t wealthy until dwarves plot to sneak into your cave and take your treasure.

Danikat, accurate description of some of the differences between the Tyrian economy and the real world economy. However, those differences do not make the Tyrian economy less of a genuine economy, just different.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

When are you "rich"

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Especially since this game doesn’t really have a proper economy. You don’t have a pre-determined income like most people in real-life who get most their money from their job, but you also don’t have regular costs.

The majority of the worlds population doesnt have a pre-determined income. Or a regular job.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

When are you "rich"

Posted by: Zohane.7208

Zohane.7208

That is correct.

Actually this is not correct at all.
gw2efficiency only knows about the accounts that have registered an API key with them; all other accounts are not accounted for at all.

I would guess (yes, it’s only a guess of course!) that a very low percentage of all GW2 players have done so, let’s say 10-25%. I would also guess that this is skewed towards the higher percentile of the players, simply because those probably have a higher interest in details and economics. So putting those two assumptions together I would guess that the 10th percentile is much much lower.

Again, I’m just guessing of course.

Gunnar’s Hold
Guild Leader for Tyria Liberation Council [TLC]

When are you "rich"

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

Hi,

So when are you wealthy?
100 gold? 1000? 10000?

This is a subjective one, since currency is used to purchase things from others you might ask that question in the terms of is there anything that you want to buy that you don’t have coin for. If the answer is no, then you have reached that point. If yes then you have more coin to make.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

When are you "rich"

TheGrimm.5624

lol, TP is the game inside the game, just not everyone plays it.

When are you "rich"

Posted by: LucosTheDutch.4819

LucosTheDutch.4819

In GW2 you’re not truly rich until you can buy the ’I’m Rich You Know?’ title without giving a kitten because the amount of gold it costs means nothing to you.

( https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Contract_of_Patronage )

When are you "rich"

TheGrimm.5624

In GW2 you’re not truly rich until you can buy the ’I’m Rich You Know?’ title without giving a kitten because the amount of gold it costs means nothing to you.

That’s a nice one. I admit I think I have seen only one person run around with “Golden” but hadn’t seen this one yet.

When are you "rich"

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

Wealth is relative…

Wallet: Gold 2 g 83 s 10 c

Account Value: 275,567 g 41 s 24 c – Rank 134
You are higher than 99% of 137,218 accounts.

Liquid Gold (sell): 3,253 g 32 s 46 c Liquid Gold (buy): 2,027 g 92 s 35 c

But none of that liquid gold is stuff I want to sell. And the majority of the value comes from unlocks, especially stuff that is just valuable because it is older. So I don’t feel rich. I feel more like one of those noblemen with all kinds of stuff, but no money. Except I don’t have to pay taxes, so I don’t have to rent out my home instance to annoying tourists.

When are you "rich"

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

That’s a nice one. I admit I think I have seen only one person run around with “Golden” but hadn’t seen this one yet.

Personally, I’m not sure I want to use Golden or I’m Rich titles. Call it paranoia, but I don’t want gold spammers or hackers thinking I’m an attractive target. :P

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

When are you "rich"

TheGrimm.5624

Personally, I’m not sure I want to use Golden or I’m Rich titles. Call it paranoia, but I don’t want gold spammers or hackers thinking I’m an attractive target. :P

If I had one I hear you there and agree. Also always surprised when people publish their gw2efficiency.com keys. Asking to be account targeted then if you have a shinny account. I appreciate the geekdome and bragging rights but….

When are you "rich"

Posted by: Vindicus.2130

Vindicus.2130

The richest IRL is the richest in game, since the easiest way to acquire gold is with your credit card.

When are you "rich"

Posted by: Yakez.7561

Yakez.7561

Gold is useless. Inflation is real.

That is why max amount of gold I ever had was 300 for commander tag.

Always invest in mats that you would end up using later (legendary, ascended armor and weapons). Then invest in mats that are used but are oversupplied (mithril ore lol). They would spike one day. After all that just invest in gems when their conversion rate is good. Gems are always useful for the new gemstore stuff.

When are you "rich"

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I guess I’m rich. I don’t have much gold because I convert my gold to gems on a regular basis to buy pixels from the gemstore. Which means I have those pixels to show off to all who couldn’t care less that I have those pixels. ^^

So am I rich? I’m happy with what I’ve bought so I guess I’m rich even though I’m gold poor.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

When are you "rich"

TheGrimm.5624

True on both counts, mats and conversion to gems has yet to be a bad idea and typically pays off in the long run.

When are you "rich"

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

If I had one I hear you there and agree. Also always surprised when people publish their gw2efficiency.com keys. Asking to be account targeted then if you have a shinny account. I appreciate the geekdome and bragging rights but….

Wouldn’t the hacker need to figure out both the email and the password? And to get past SMS/authenticator if that’s set up.

I doubt the gw2efficiency public keys give a hacker enough information to for it to be a consideration even if you ignore the other security measures.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.