When can we expect raiding

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: tichorum.2415

tichorum.2415

I’m a PvPer, but I LOVE to PvE as well. I haven’t been in the loop with raiding, but can I get a non-kitten-towards-ArenaNet answer (meaning not "Never. ANet doesn’t care about the players)?

I’m actually starting to play TERA’s PvE because I’m so bored with GW2 PvE. Sure, Tequatl and other world bosses can seem like raiding, but it’s not. I want actual raiding. I don’t know what ANet plans with their new rewarding system coming up, but hopefully they can reward more than just gold with a raid. I want some kitten raid-only skins for armor.

Also… as much as people hate it, I would love to see PvE gear progression. It’s the only logical choice aside from skins with rewarding players in dungeons/raids better.

EDIT:

To elaborate a little more: I’m bored of GW2 PvE. The bi-weekly DLC packs are what maybe 50% of players want, while the rest want hard-content such as permanent raids, better rewarding, etc. The rewarding for everything (including PvP) is dull. It all rewards cosmetics or gold.. which lead to more cosmetics. Cosmetics are fine, but they’re way too easy to obtain. Raid-only skins. PvP-only skins. Either that or PvE gear progression is the way to go. I can’t see any other solution.

Lastly, can we get some BAM’s? More than just the open-world bosses? I want to see a raid with the Flame Legion in some massive citadel and the final boss is a Flame Legion general on a giant drake. How cool would that be?

In conclusion.. the DLC packs are starting to get old. Sure, continue with them as some people like. But why not move a team or two of Living Story producers to hard-content such as raids, better rewarding, etc. The typical ANet response will be “We’re working on it”. You’d better work on it fast, because Wildstar and EQ Next are right around the corner.

Former PvP commentator for ESL & Arenanet.

I used to run the Academy Gaming tournaments for GW2.

(edited by tichorum.2415)

Posted by: Mepheles.2087

Mepheles.2087

This game’s style of PvE revolves around 5 Zerker geared players bursting down a boss while ignoring most mechanics. You want 10 (20) more of these trying to burst down a raid style boss? For what? Skins?

Gates of Madness

Posted by: CryxTryx.9208

CryxTryx.9208

This game’s style of PvE revolves around 5 Zerker geared players bursting down a boss while ignoring most mechanics. You want 10 (20) more of these trying to burst down a raid style boss? For what? Skins?

Yes lets drag the zerker argument into every post so that we can’t discuss anything constructive.

Posted by: Fiddlybitz.6982

Fiddlybitz.6982

Perhaps you should explain what you are expecting in raid content. From my point of view, I don’t see how Tequatl isn’t an open-world raid boss.

WRT your comment about rewards and gear progression. Arena.net has already reneged on their original stance of horizontal progression and cosmetic only vertical progression. What more do you want?

It sounds like you want a game that isn’t GW2. Everything you’ve asked for was touted to be something they WOULDN’T do in their manifesto. Of course, we all know how well they stuck to the manifesto … :-\

Mepheles.2087

They should make you pass a reading test before allowing you to post on the forums. Please re-read and comment again. Thanks.

I read it, then posted, then read the edited OP. I stand by what I Said. Raiding is NOT for this game, currently. It’s not just the zerker argument, it’s the way PvE itself is designed. Raiding in other games is based around the fact that there will be a Tank(s), and Healer(s) and several DPS Dealers, which means hard hitting bosses can hit hard but it can be eaten by Mitigation and healing. Gw2 does not have a healer type nor a tank type or anything like. PvE here revolves around dodging key one shot skills. If raid style mechanics come into play, they must be hard hitting, or extremely fatal so every one doesn’t run damage and brings support and utility.

BAMS are also in this. In TERA BAMS can be soloed by just about any class, the only difference is TTK. Here they would probably be treated the same as Teq, which means unable to be crit to make the fight seem longer than it would be, and be zerged down by players, like everything else. I repeat: UNTIL ANET CHANGES THE WAY PVE WORKS YOU CANNOT ADD RAIDING OR RAID STYLE ANYTHING.

Gates of Madness

(edited by Mepheles.2087)

Mepheles.2087

Yes lets drag the zerker argument into every post so that we can’t discuss anything constructive.

Zerker argument in itself is contstructive. When people get angry and start throwing around words like Elitist or baddie or l2p that it becomes Toxic. It’s a proven fact that PvE revolves around : High damage and Dodging One shot mechanics. Any other mechanics are there to just drag the fight out a bit longer in a fight that will last maybe a few minutes at best.

Gates of Madness

Mepheles.2087

They should make you pass a reading test before allowing you to post on the forums. Please re-read and comment again. Thanks.

I read it, then posted, then read the edited OP. I stand by what I Said. Raiding is NOT for this game, currently. It’s not just the zerker argument, it’s the way PvE itself is designed. Raiding in other games is based around the fact that there will be a Tank(s), and Healer(s) and several DPS Dealers, which means hard hitting bosses can hit hard but it can be eaten by Mitigation and healing. Gw2 does not have a healer type nor a tank type or anything like. PvE here revolves around dodging key one shot skills. If raid style mechanics come into play, they must be hard hitting, or extremely fatal so every one doesn’t run damage and brings support and utility.

A raid is like a dungeon except harder and amped up. So DO TELL how it’s not meant for GW2, because there ARE dungeons. GW2 does have classes that can dish out support and damage. And believe it or not, some classes tank damage better than others. You have to coordinate it, hence, raids being more difficult. If this is just something your skill will not allow you to do, please don’t cry about a suggestion.

Now, you’re starting to get angry, saying I’m crying when I’m giving feedback about your suggestion. Yes some classes can eat damage better because of high toughness and boons. And some can bring support skills like Haste and reflections, banners and such. But then, how many guardians would you need for a 10m raiding style dungeon? 2. And they would have to be in Zerker STILL, because they would be lacking damage, which PvE is all about, no matter WHAT coordination a guild can bring.

Gates of Madness

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

Learn to read. I’m making suggestions for constructive feedback. I want them to add raiding, how the hell can that not be put into GW2’s list of stuff to do?

Pretty easily actually . They’ve said they dont want to segregate the community any more than they have to . Raids would do that .

Posted by: tichorum.2415

tichorum.2415

A raid is like a dungeon except harder and amped up. So DO TELL how it’s not meant for GW2, because there ARE dungeons. GW2 does have classes that can dish out support and damage. And believe it or not, some classes tank damage better than others. You have to coordinate it, hence, raids being more difficult. If this is just something your skill will not allow you to do, please don’t cry about a suggestion.

Now, you’re starting to get angry, saying I’m crying when I’m giving feedback about your suggestion. Yes some classes can eat damage better because of high toughness and boons. And some can bring support skills like Haste and reflections, banners and such. But then, how many guardians would you need for a 10m raiding style dungeon? 2. And they would have to be in Zerker STILL, because they would be lacking damage, which PvE is all about, no matter WHAT coordination a guild can bring.

No, your argument is invalid. What do you mean how many guardians would you need? That the point of coordinating the whole thing.

No, they wouldn’t have to be zerker. That’s on ArenaNet to make sure the boss works toward supporting classes that can take damage and not need to dish out massive damage. Classes would need to take turns receiving damage, using AoE healing, etc. That’s the whole point of a raid. That’s the whole point of harder content. Hell, that’s the point of the new Tequatl boss: to coordinate that stuff.

Former PvP commentator for ESL & Arenanet.

I used to run the Academy Gaming tournaments for GW2.

Posted by: alceste.8712

alceste.8712

Raiding creates a ton of problems on gear balance. If you have increased pve gear then you need increasing pvp gear. Otherwise, your pve players end up dominating pvp which is BS. Eventually, gear becomes greater than skill in pvp which is also BS. The situation turns to junk in a heartbeat. Just say no to raiding.

Mepheles.2087

Well, I guess if you want to leave everything to ANET more than just damage may be needed…. but I doubt it. The players will find a way to make the current meta fit into Raidstyle like they do with almost everything else. If they don’t, MOST of those people won’t play, and then… well I don’t know

Gates of Madness

Mepheles.2087

Raiding creates a ton of problems on gear balance. If you have increased pve gear then you need increasing pvp gear. Otherwise, your pve players end up dominating pvp which is BS. Eventually, gear becomes greater than skill in pvp which is also BS. The situation turns to junk in a heartbeat. Just say no to raiding.

OP didn’t say anything about stat progression, just skins. I sincerely hope if ANET ever did this there would be no stat progression whatsoever, no matter how small.

EDIT: Oh he did say it. Shame on you, OP. People are riled up about ascended Armor as it is.

Gates of Madness

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

A raid is like a dungeon except harder and amped up.

Is the new TA path a step in the direction you’re thinking of?

if not, what’s lacking from it, specifically?

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Adine.2184

Learn to read. I’m making suggestions for constructive feedback. I want them to add raiding, how the hell can that not be put into GW2’s list of stuff to do?

Pretty easily actually . They’ve said they dont want to segregate the community any more than they have to . Raids would do that .

What would that segregate? The people who are skilled and not skilled? Oh wait… that’s a sense of progression. I forgot we don’t want that..?

What you said makes no sense.

People on these forums are incompetent.

no its pretty much what they said
go to about 16:16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy7CcwnfUdU

the question was specifically about HM dungeons but it would apply to raiding too

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

I personally haven’t got anything against instanced raiding as content.

I’d much rather see the big world bosses and existing dungeons get revamps and additions like Tequatl (which is very much a raid, just not instanced) though, along with things like:

• Improved AI (mobs work together, given the same tools as players ect)
  • More dynamics (boss moves around, patrols of enemies, different objectives other than ‘kill the big baddie’ ect)

before they bring in another set of content that they have to fix / keep adding to.

However, I don’t think BiS should be exclusive to raids. Exclusive skins / titles / crafting recipes and associated mats, sure, but remember, PvE gear also affects WvW, and not all WvWers like to PvE.

Maybe a progression that’s exclusive to that raid? I.E Reduced damage from Evil McBadguy and his minions. It’s progression exclusive to that raid, and doesn’t affect other game modes.

As for segregation, I think their referring to the number of players playing together. If you have an open world, why shuffle people into small hubs with only [insert number here] other people? Open world raiding brings people together.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Tobbygnome.6793

Tobbygnome.6793

Why not 25 player dungeons :P imagine doing CoF P1 with 25 people, where mobs/bosses health scaled up and got new abilities :P

haha, just a silly idea

Adine.2184

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

I’m a PvPer, but I LOVE to PvE as well. I haven’t been in the loop with raiding, but can I get a non-kitten-towards-ArenaNet answer (meaning not "Never. ANet doesn’t care about the players)?

I’m actually starting to play TERA’s PvE because I’m so bored with GW2 PvE. Sure, Tequatl and other world bosses can seem like raiding, but it’s not. I want actual raiding. I don’t know what ANet plans with their new rewarding system coming up, but hopefully they can reward more than just gold with a raid. I want some kitten raid-only skins for armor.

Also… as much as people hate it, I would love to see PvE gear progression. It’s the only logical choice aside from skins with rewarding players in dungeons/raids better.

EDIT:

To elaborate a little more: I’m bored of GW2 PvE. The bi-weekly DLC packs are what maybe 50% of players want, while the rest want hard-content such as permanent raids, better rewarding, etc. The rewarding for everything (including PvP) is dull. It all rewards cosmetics or gold.. which lead to more cosmetics. Cosmetics are fine, but they’re way too easy to obtain. Raid-only skins. PvP-only skins. Either that or PvE gear progression is the way to go. I can’t see any other solution.

Lastly, can we get some BAM’s? More than just the open-world bosses? I want to see a raid with the Flame Legion in some massive citadel and the final boss is a Flame Legion general on a giant drake. How cool would that be?

In conclusion.. the DLC packs are starting to get old. Sure, continue with them as some people like. But why not move a team or two of Living Story producers to hard-content such as raids, better rewarding, etc. The typical ANet response will be “We’re working on it”. You’d better work on it fast, because Wildstar and EQ Next are right around the corner.

How about you reconsider if this game is for you?
You want Raids – something GW2 doesn’t have and I feel that it doesn’t need.
You want gear progression ? How about NO?
How about NO – if you’re bored nobody is forcing you to play – either keep doing it or don’t. But don’t force a gear grind onto all of us just because you’re bored.
Honestly – the nerve on some people is over the top.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

I believe raiding can be done with the GW2 system without the Holy Trinity. I would love to see a raid interface for 20-25 players for both PvE & WvW, and I think it would need to be put in place prior to any traditional raid style dungeons. There is one thing I do not care to see happen though, and that is more power creep with gear progression. I am all in favour of exclusive vanity/skins for boasting rights as a reward but I like GW2 because it doesn’t have (yet) a massive power creep like most other MMOs

Posted by: Kimari.8264

Kimari.8264

I know this is kind of an old thread, but i share the same point of view as the OP. So i wanted to share some exciting news I found, keep in mind this was about 4 months ago but is still very exciting. http://gw2.game-guide.fr/interview-exclusive-de-mike-zadorojny/ That will take you to a interview where raiding was discussed and confirmed. In case your not on chrome or another browser that will auto-translate for you here is a good translation of the interview. http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1314759-French-interview-confirms-raids-and-housing-coming-to-GW2 So there you have it GW2 will be implementing its own twist on raids. Note that this does not say World bosses or events it actually is structured raids. No word on when this will take effect but i suspect it will be legendary nonetheless . Also for my 2-since i think that they could easily implement raiding the exact same way as pvp. Everyone has the same gear. Either A, make only cosmetic or no gear at all drop from bosses that your character can use, or B, (and my personal hope) Let there be great pve gear that drops from raiding but can not be used anywhere else i.e. Structured pvp when your there you have a whole new set of gear traits ect.

Posted by: Kimari.8264

Kimari.8264

To add a little more since i hit the cap lol. As far as the zerking arguement goes, this is very easily by passable by making the right kind of mechanics or mechanics that require way to much dodge, movement, or even have a phase where the boss goes immune, or reflects damage.

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

You see, you’re the kind of player which I end up kicking from my parties when I’m doing anything other than AC P3 because you’ll end up on the floor dead whilst complaining to everyone else that they aren’t doing enough DPS.

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

I know this is kind of an old thread, but i share the same point of view as the OP. So i wanted to share some exciting news I found, keep in mind this was about 4 months ago but is still very exciting. http://gw2.game-guide.fr/interview-exclusive-de-mike-zadorojny/ That will take you to a interview where raiding was discussed and confirmed. In case your not on chrome or another browser that will auto-translate for you here is a good translation of the interview. http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1314759-French-interview-confirms-raids-and-housing-coming-to-GW2 So there you have it GW2 will be implementing its own twist on raids. Note that this does not say World bosses or events it actually is structured raids. No word on when this will take effect but i suspect it will be legendary nonetheless . Also for my 2-since i think that they could easily implement raiding the exact same way as pvp. Everyone has the same gear. Either A, make only cosmetic or no gear at all drop from bosses that your character can use, or B, (and my personal hope) Let there be great pve gear that drops from raiding but can not be used anywhere else i.e. Structured pvp when your there you have a whole new set of gear traits ect.

Old news. The interviews have already been discussed several times.

Xae Isareth.1364

I think that interview referred to Tequatl. I hope they abandon their idea of everyone coming together for a raid and accept that raiding is only for the hardcore and make instanced raids.

Posted by: PraetorMortis.8610

PraetorMortis.8610

Yes, PvE meta is 5 zerkers bursting stuff. This does not mean we cannot have raids. Raids may in fact be the best way to break the zerker meta.

Current dungeon: pull target to a corner/wall and burst it down.

Raid dungeon: multiple objectives that must be accomplished at the same time requiring coordination. Not all of these objectives need to be killing stuff. Maybe a handful of your berserker guys kill waves of things while high vitality/condition removal specs wade through poison mist to disarm traps so the squishy zerkers can pass.

While traditional raid mechanics require the use of trinity to design encounters, that same trinity is what leads to raids being stale and recycled. ArenaNet could absolutely inplement raids, the only limitation is their own creativity.

Posted by: Jacks.5367

Jacks.5367

Yes! We want raid and 2nd round with Zhaitan which don’t require us to use a gun!

Xae Isareth.1364

I think personally I’d be quite happy with Tequatl if they made it instanced. To be honest, it’s a harder fight to strategically manage than any raid I have done in other MMOs because it isn’t simply a case of learn the mechanics.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I believe Tequatl is your ‘raid like content.’ From Colin’s statements at PAX, they don’t want to do more instancing. They don’t want to fracture the playbase too much, because then you simply won’t be able to find people to play with. (Hello GW1, kitten I miss my heroes)

Dev’s have also said that their raid content would not be like other games. Most other games use instancing, so it makes sense that GW2 might try to stick their ‘raids’ in the open world. So you don’t have to stand around for hours trying to find enough people (theoretically), people can just jump in and help out.

Colin also stated at PAX that ‘dungeons’ with more than 5 players is extremely unlikely, again for grouping reasons. They felt 5 was the sweet spot for easily finding enough people to play with in a relatively short amount of time. More time playing, less time preparing to play essentially.

Edit: Also, I just want to point out that just because it’s not instanced doesn’t mean you can’t treat it the same way. Grab your buddy, turn on your commander tags, find 78 other people to split between you, and go for it. Or use more then 2 commanders, and work out the details between the leaders for each subgroup before hand. It’s really not so different…

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

Hopefully never…the Teq revamp is horrible and more content like that would definitely push me away from the game.

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Iam ready for some raiding!!!

Posted by: Grumpdogg.6910

Grumpdogg.6910

It would be pretty easy to make the Tequatil encounter instanced and tuned for 25 people rather than 80.

They have shown the ability to instance areas with the new Kessex Hills, personal story, and older stuff like dungeons and overflows etc.

Imagine a whole new addition to the game by using existing tech. But no, we get Scarlet’s Alliance of the Fortnight.

“I swung a sword, I swung a sword again, oh look I swung a sword again!”
- Colin Johanson while spamming key 1 in GW2

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

Raids NO THANKS!
Gear Treadmill NO THANKS!

I left FFXI for a reason!
Give us new Campaign and zones to explore!

We have Raids already and it’s called world bosses and dynamic events and WvW which is the entire game.

Just, NO Raids from old school traditional mmos plz!

Posted by: Arewn.2368

Arewn.2368

The problem isn’t “there’s no raids”, it’s that there is no progressive challenging PvE content. The last thing we got in that regards was fractals literally a year ago. There’s been some challenging content since, but the majority of it was temporary, and the stuff that stayed wasn’t very large and didn’t lend itself to progressive play.
The support update helped PVE build diversity, if we could get a Defiance rework in order to make CC valuable in dungeons, and then get a solution to the condition stack cap causing conditions builds to be un-viable in PVE group play, then maybe they could start releasing comprehensive group content.

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

I for one enjoy raiding in other games. Not because of the treadmill gear collecting, well that’s half true, the gear in raids will usually look better in overall design. Not because of the challenge or aspirations of bragging and showing off that I was apart of a raid win.

I enjoy raids because of the number of people involved. I play multiplayer online games to play with a team for the most part. It’s the reason I will always be involved in pvp, dungeoning and raiding in any game I play. Soloing is a nice break here and there, but if I wanted that I would (and do) play single player games which usually tell stories better anyway.

Zerging in the open world/wvw is fine and dandy for casually wanting to play with others around you, but I actually would like larger instances for me and my guildies to have something to do together.

Currently there really isn’t much for guilds to do in this game outside of WvW and maybe guild puzzles/challenges. Bounties/rush and treks can kind of split ppl up. I know during the initial Boss week with TEQ, pretty much every person I talked to wanted that sort of thing to be instanced.

I know I can’t be the only one who feels like this game is beautiful, but at the same time missing so much of the good stuff other MMO’s have given us over the years.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

errr.. isn’t Teq considered raiding ?

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

You most likely wont get instanced raiding like you have in WoW. If you were expecting this, you didnt do your homework.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

ye im bit disapointed as well i realy wanna raid in gw 2:(

Posted by: Sanduskel.1850

Sanduskel.1850

never please. if you want that go to wow.

OP’d thief, lol

Posted by: Mojo.7986

Mojo.7986

There is a reason I don’t play WoW. I play games, I don’t need another career. Raids take too long to organize, you can’t get up and get the phone. I have problems with dungeons as it is. Having said that, as long as they give players another way to get what would be a reward for said raid, I’d live alongside it (like ascended trinkets). But if they turn the quest for nice things into WoW, I’ll be leaving.

Posted by: callidus.7085

callidus.7085

I think when people see raiding, they focus more on the term instead of what the person is asking for. The term itself has become a taboo among many players in gw2 it seems.

Personally what I’d like to see is scaling instances with party sizes allowing to go from 2 – 50. I really dislike it when I’m running a dungeon with some guild mates and then others log on and I need to tell them, “Sorry man, already doing a dungeon.. yea, it’s a full guild run. Ummm.. sure I can try to wait for you next time, I’ll save you a spot.” And all that ends up doing is excluding someone else.

My guild and I like instances. We enjoy PvE and want to be able to do so together. I have tried organizing multiple dungeon runs which worked out ok for a while but seriously it would be sooooo much nicer if I could just invite people to the party as they logged in and they could join us in the dungeon and it upscaled. I know there would need to be some changes done (you wouldn’t want to invite your whole guild to the end of the dungeon run and then everyone gets 1g for no effort.. I realize that’s a little imbalanced).

The point I’m trying to make here is that for me and I know for at least some others we want “raiding” for the sole purpose of having large group instanced content. Make party sizes larger and dungeons scale and we’re satisfied. I don’t care about gear treadmills, have them, don’t have them, don’t care. I don’t care about the reward being “better”, I’d like it to be equal, sure… I’d like all rewards in the game to be equal for the time/effort put in but I don’t see this as any different as just adding large dungeons to the game.

On a side note, if they scaled correctly (like I wish it would if this ever happens).. it would satisfy the opposite end of the spectrum too, a small group of 3 friends could enjoy this as well.

Slow down and smell the pixels.

callidus.7085

I think personally I’d be quite happy with Tequatl if they made it instanced. To be honest, it’s a harder fight to strategically manage than any raid I have done in other MMOs because it isn’t simply a case of learn the mechanics.

Yep.. As soon as I did the Teq fight I couldn’t help but wonder why it wasn’t instanced… Resources that can be griefed in the open world WILL be griefed in the open world (the turrets) and that’s exactly why it should be instanced. Not to mention if they made it instanced you wouldn’t have to wait for a timer. If you only get 2 hours to play a day Teq might not spawn while you’re playing every day. If it were instanced, you just get some guildies and pugs together who are ACTUALLY interested in the completing the fight or one of the achievements and go.

callidus.7085

I believe Tequatl is your ‘raid like content.’ From Colin’s statements at PAX, they don’t want to do more instancing. They don’t want to fracture the playbase too much, because then you simply won’t be able to find people to play with. (Hello GW1, kitten I miss my heroes)

The people I play with are all in instances anyway, if we were all in the same instance it would actually bring us together not drive us apart. The current dungeons are keeping us apart in smaller groups.

Dev’s have also said that their raid content would not be like other games. Most other games use instancing, so it makes sense that GW2 might try to stick their ‘raids’ in the open world. So you don’t have to stand around for hours trying to find enough people (theoretically), people can just jump in and help out.

Open world raids like Teq… Currently instead of waiting for people to join to do it (which is easy to get the people, there are whole guilds dedicated to doing this) you have to wait for a 2 hour timer. If it was instanced you could do it immediately.

cesmode.4257

Wildstar is coming. Go to that. I will be leaving GW2 behind for it most likely, pretty much because it takes arenanet months, or an entire year to realize the depth of their mistakes and to come up with any changes.

But yeah, Gw2 is not designed for instanced raiding. As Colin said, their whole design is based around open world dynamic event fighting where you work together as a community. instancing content off like this doesn’t bode well with that objective.

callidus.7085

Wildstar is coming. Go to that. I will be leaving GW2 behind for it most likely, pretty much because it takes arenanet months, or an entire year to realize the depth of their mistakes and to come up with any changes.

But yeah, Gw2 is not designed for instanced raiding. As Colin said, their whole design is based around open world dynamic event fighting where you work together as a community. instancing content off like this doesn’t bode well with that objective.

If the players that enjoy instances are already in instances… How does this work against that? They have instances, people who like instances will play in instances. They are already not in the open world. All this would do would allow those people who plan to be in an instance to play together… bringing one part of the community together instead of forcing them into small groups.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

I think it is simple to implement raiding even with no trinity mechanics. Reinforce Combo mechanics.

I suggest balancing raids around water fields + blast finishers + heals then have 5-7 individual and equally dangerous bosses for each boss fight. This worked in WvW. It should work with raids.

Raid bosses would have a constant aura that puts condis on melee raid party members. Light fields + projectiles = condi removal. Ranged raid members can shoot through light field to keep melee raid members clean of condis.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

The people I play with are all in instances anyway, if we were all in the same instance it would actually bring us together not drive us apart. The current dungeons are keeping us apart in smaller groups.

Valid, but some people prefer the smaller group instances, while others prefer larger group instances. Some prefer open world. It is much easier to find 5 people for an instance than it is to find 20+, even in large guilds.

Open world raids like Teq… Currently instead of waiting for people to join to do it (which is easy to get the people, there are whole guilds dedicated to doing this) you have to wait for a 2 hour timer. If it was instanced you could do it immediately.

Sure, you could do it immediately, and to slow you down Anet would then institute lock outs like WoW. This way it wasn’t done too often, nor did it become too rewarding.

Nothing wrong with being different.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

There is a reason I don’t play WoW. I play games, I don’t need another career. Raids take too long to organize, you can’t get up and get the phone. I have problems with dungeons as it is. Having said that, as long as they give players another way to get what would be a reward for said raid, I’d live alongside it (like ascended trinkets). But if they turn the quest for nice things into WoW, I’ll be leaving.

Actually, it’s pretty easy to get a group for Flex raids if you use the Open Raid website. I believe GW2 had a similar website before the LFG tool was introduced. Please stop misrepresenting things.

cesmode.4257

If the players that enjoy instances are already in instances… How does this work against that? They have instances, people who like instances will play in instances. They are already not in the open world. All this would do would allow those people who plan to be in an instance to play together… bringing one part of the community together instead of forcing them into small groups.

I think you are referring to personal story and dungeons. True. But thats the extent of it. Personal story, is..well personal. Dungeons are dungeons, a staple of any MMO. Aside from EVE, where the game is based around PVP and economy, if an MMO does not release with dungeons, its not worth its spit.

Concerning GW2 and instanced content outside of these two, Anet feels that giving too much instanced content would be counter to the core philosophy of the game: banding together in the open world to tackle the difficult challenges.

If you begin to instance the hardest, and most rewarding content, to a specific raid size(10,20,40), then this goes against the open-world style of play they are
trying to foster.

For this game, and this game only, I agree.

callidus.7085

Valid, but some people prefer the smaller group instances, while others prefer larger group instances. Some prefer open world. It is much easier to find 5 people for an instance than it is to find 20+, even in large guilds.

Sure, so what’s wrong with options? Why not allow dungeons to scale to suit all types?

Sure, you could do it immediately, and to slow you down Anet would then institute lock outs like WoW. This way it wasn’t done too often, nor did it become too rewarding.

Nothing wrong with being different.

Nothing wrong with being different, sure… But this isn’t just being different. You cannot schedule around this as well. It doesn’t start when you have time for it, it starts when it starts. If everyone I play with logs in at 8 and Teq just finished we have to wait 2 hours to do it… if these people only play 2 hours a night then it cannot be done by them ever. One of the great things about instances is that it’s there and ready for you when you’re ready, not when the game says it’s ready.

callidus.7085

I think you are referring to personal story and dungeons. True. But thats the extent of it. Personal story, is..well personal. Dungeons are dungeons, a staple of any MMO. Aside from EVE, where the game is based around PVP and economy, if an MMO does not release with dungeons, its not worth its spit.

Concerning GW2 and instanced content outside of these two, Anet feels that giving too much instanced content would be counter to the core philosophy of the game: banding together in the open world to tackle the difficult challenges.

If you begin to instance the hardest, and most rewarding content, to a specific raid size(10,20,40), then this goes against the open-world style of play they are
trying to foster.

For this game, and this game only, I agree.

I am referring specifically to dungeons and fractals as the content the group I play with enjoys the most. What I would like does not need to be the hardest content, the most rewarding content or for a specific size. I would like scaling dungeons basically, but the real goal of this is to facilitate large (10-20) group instanced content. It may go against the play style they’re trying to foster if you’d like to think of it that way… but we’re already doing that. We’re already locked away in our dungeons and fractals. I’m merely suggesting that it’d be nice if we were provided options to play these instanced content together… is this such a bad thing?

Once again, understand what I’m saying and don’t read into things that are not there. I do not care if it is or is not difficult. I do not wish to see this be more rewarding than any other aspect of the game. The purpose is to facilitate large group instanced content, to allow me to play with ALL of my friends and guild mates, not a fraction of them.