When can we expect to see weapon dyeing?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

Now more than ever with the addition of Chaos weapons, I miss the ability to dye weapons. Is this feature that was in Guild Wars 1 from the start going to make a return any time soon?

Posted by: Trixie.7614

Trixie.7614

I don’t think it’s worth the effort to redo all the current weapons with the available colors, so I woudn’t hold my breath.

Glorious Human Master Race

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

I don’t think it’s worth the effort to redo all the current weapons with the available colors, so I woudn’t hold my breath.

What do you mean? You think they’ve developed every armor set with every color combination? The colors are applied to the armor sets. Anet didn’t have to go and make 200+ versions of every armor piece to account for color schemes.

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

Dye systems just use grayscale textures and then apply the color in a vertex shader. Basically, its all white and then gets tinted the color during gameplay.

It actually requires less effort from the developer, not more. But it would complicate the fact that ANet likes to re-use skins with multiple color schemes (for example, the CM weapons are golden cultural weapons) as rewards.

Redoing all the old weapons would only be an effort because they likely didn’t separate the textures into layers when making them, and/or don’t have the original layered source files such as PSD/XCF etc. anymore. Lack of foresight, basically.

Its a shame to see this now-common feature lacking only in this game while almost every other game on the market since its release has had it.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

(edited by Hannelore.8153)

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

Or ironically, it was in GW1 but not 2

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’m not thinking this will happen, but I’d love it if it did.

Off topic: I wish people would stop misusing the word ironically.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Off off topic:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ironic
: using words that mean the opposite of what you really think especially in order to be funny

: strange or funny because something (such as a situation) is different from what you expected

I would say he is using the second definition, different from what would be expected.

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

What do you mean? You think they’ve developed every armor set with every color combination? The colors are applied to the armor sets. Anet didn’t have to go and make 200+ versions of every armor piece to account for color schemes.

I don’t think he meant it that way.

It would be incredibly difficult to redesign all skins because you would have to take apart each weapon and rebuild it.

It’s because the templates used to construct these weapons are fixed. They do not have any portions of the weapon that are dyeable.

When it comes to armors, they outline the different parts that can be used to apply different textures, but with weapons they would have to revisit every single one and decide what parts need to be dyeable.

That’s extremely labor intensive and not worth it.

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

I don’t think we’ll ever see it since they have all sorts of different weapons that use the same skins, but are only differentiated by name and color.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Off off topic:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ironic
: using words that mean the opposite of what you really think especially in order to be funny

: strange or funny because something (such as a situation) is different from what you expected

I would say he is using the second definition, different from what would be expected.

Not really different than one person would expect it though. I mean, something that was in one game that wasn’t in a sequel wouldn’t normally be called ironic by anyone I know. It would be ironic of the game was guild wars, though and they didn’t actually have guild wars in the sequel. I could see that as ironic.

But not having a feature that they had in the first game. I’m not buying it.

On topic, I hadn’t really thought about meshes being reused as a reason not to have it in game. But a lot of the best weapons all have special effects as well, and dying the weapon wouldn’t give it those effects.

I can see where it would be a problem with racial weapons though.

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

Never.

Posted by: Teniz.5249

Teniz.5249

I heard rumors about it being implemented right after precurser crafting is released, also they want to fix all the clipping issues for implementing capes so we can expect guild halls too!

Posted by: Feirlista Xv.1425

Feirlista Xv.1425

There are only so many dying channels in the game, it looks to me that to get all four of the dying channels we have on our armor that dying weapons may not be posable without giving up an armor dying channel.

Opinions are like ______ everyone has one I could
put the correct term in but not everyone has kittens