When can we get real features?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: sonicwhip.9052

sonicwhip.9052

By real features I mean real new meat being added to the game, fresh new content that sticks around permanently and not just some small little quality of life fixes that should have been done at release(like account bound dyes as stated in a pre launch blog).

How about we get new core features for all parts of the game.

WvWvW: New siege weapons(possibly asuran technology), new types of buildings and structures, more ways to add competition between servers, more destruction, diplomacy to let two losing servers temporarily team up to take on a server with 80% or more of the map, more reasons for people to actually join the commanders squad instead of just follow the commander icon, moving tanks that fire various projectiles with two seats for driver and gunner,etc.

Spvp: New game modes(conquest gets boring), new maps, ladders, e sport, more progression, etc.

Pve: New world bosses, new areas, new dungeons(not just fractals), crystal desert map, events becoming more dynamic and not just repeat every 5 minutes, new personal story.

Also new classes, races, weapons, skills, elite skills, level 80 exclusive endgame, expansion packs, a lot more than what is listed above this game had huge potential.

It feels like after all this time this game is just not moving forward with content, it seems like there is so much that could have been done and instead we have gotten temporary content with some quality of life improvements.

Why did Guild Wars 1 get so much new content added in the game while Guild Wars 2 gets almost nothing?

http://guildwars.com/products/factions/default.php

http://guildwars.com/products/nightfall/default.php

http://guildwars.com/products/eyeofthenorth/default.php

Again when will Guild Wars 2 begin to see real new permanent core features being added like Guild Wars 1 did?

Posted by: OldSomalia.6180

OldSomalia.6180

You don’t know what a feature is, and you’re asking for content.

Features are not content.

While I agree the games needs more content, I hope you aren’t confusing the “2014 feature patch” as being a content patch because it was never communicated as such.

If you didn’t think that, and this is your own separate complaint, that’s cool too. I can rally.

But if you did think that, it was misinterpretation and I’m sure ANet would thank you for your understanding.

(edited by OldSomalia.6180)

sonicwhip.9052

While I agree the games needs more content, I hope you aren’t confusing the “2014 feature patch” as being a content patch because it was never communicated as such.

If you didn’t think that, and this is your own separate complaint, that’s cool too. I can rally.

But if you did think that, it was misinterpretation and I’m sure ANet would thank you for your understanding.

The complaint is that they added more new content to guild wars 1 while this game gets nothing but temporary story events mixed in with a few improvements.

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

They tried something new. People weren’t happy but they needed to finish the LS up or the same people would have complained that the content wasn’t finished.

I think most people who play GW2 are just willing to wait. it is the whiners, who are a minority and the most vocal that would complain no matter what A.Net did.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

In fact the point of this patch was specifically to separate features from content because Anet found that players were getting confusing and forgetting or failing to notice feature updates when they were included in content (Living Story) updates, which lead to complaints that we never get any new or updated features.

And this is exactly why I thought it was a waste of time. Because people just shift from complaining that nothing ever gets fixed to complaining that they’re just fixing existing stuff and not adding anything new.

(I have since changed my mind and decided I like the feature update, because I like the changes they’re making, but this topic, along with some others, does still prove that it doesn’t actually solve the problem they were trying to address.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Features are not by definition tangible content.

They tried something new. People weren’t happy but they needed to finish the LS up or the same people would have complained that the content wasn’t finished.

You do realise that there will be a second season of Living Story right?

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Flytrap.8075

Flytrap.8075

Well, apparently the definition of feature is extremely loose; if removing repair costs counts as a feature, then I guess just about anything does.

You do realise that there will be a second season of Living Story right?

God forbid.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Well, apparently the definition of feature is extremely loose; if removing repair costs counts as a feature, then I guess just about anything does.

Though I will agree that not everything in this patch is a feature. Removing something (especially if it’s a minor thing) is a not a feature. The Wardrobe and new Trait System is.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I’m going to have to agree with the others that ‘features’ are not the same thing (typically) as ‘content.’

What you are asking for, OP, is most definitely content. More races, more zones, more story. That is distinctly content.

Features on the other hand, are usually aspects of something larger. Additions or changes to systems in the game, for example. ‘Quality of Life’ are a type of feature. Colin gave us several examples of previous features (the wallet is the only one I remember being listed) so we could sort of understand what to expect.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Flytrap.8075

I’m going to have to agree with the others that ‘features’ are not the same thing (typically) as ‘content.’

What you are asking for, OP, is most definitely content. More races, more zones, more story. That is distinctly content.

Features on the other hand, are usually aspects of something larger. Additions or changes to systems in the game, for example. ‘Quality of Life’ are a type of feature. Colin gave us several examples of previous features (the wallet is the only one I remember being listed) so we could sort of understand what to expect.

This game is in dire need of new content, though.

And I’m not talking about another 15 months of Scarlet and her crazy shenanigans.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

And I’m not talking about another 15 months of Scarlet and her crazy shenanigans.

I never said it didn’t need new content.

I was simply pointing out the difference between content and features. Many seem to not understand the basic differences, nor do they seem to understand that Anet distinctly called the next patch a feature patch, and directly stated that they would be separating content / features patches and that the upcoming feature patch would not have new content.

Beyond that, I enjoyed the previous LS for the most part. Including Scarlet and her crazy shenanigans. I look forward to the next LS season. I also look forward to hunting down and beating Mordremoth senseless. All in due time though.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

Many people are easily confused about what exactly a “feature” is in a video game. A feature is a distinctive attribute or aspect of something. It can also be difficult to distinguish a feature from a mechanic. The terminology is not always clear. I’m not saying I’m happy about the lack of good content updates to this game, but the upcoming patch was always advertised as a feature patch and I am very excited about what it is bringing.

To clarify, features are things like:
- wardrobe
- account bound stuff
- housing (eventually…)
- GvG (eventually…)
- guild halls (eventually…)

Mechanics are things like:
- traits
- sigils/runes
- dodging etc

And content is stuff like:
- new maps
- missions
- quests
- new dungeons

So when Anet starts using the word “content” then you can expect those types of things, and not before.

Flytrap.8075

I also look forward to hunting down and beating Mordremoth senseless.

I can only hope that it’s as awesome as the Zhaitan encounter.

-_-

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

Posted by: Schizo.1375

Schizo.1375

How about…
Edge of the Mist map
Aetherblade dungeon path
Southsun map
New FOTM maps
New Ascended gear
Guild Missions
Any number of activities
New Jungle Wurm

Flytrap.8075

How about…
Edge of the Mist map
Aetherblade dungeon path
Southsun map
New FOTM maps
New Ascended gear
Guild Missions
Any number of activities
New Jungle Wurm

EotM had potential but the fact that it doesn’t contribute to WvW means that it’ll remain barren.

The fractal updates are a start in the right direction, but I honestly don’t PvE that often so I can’t really comment.

Ascended gear? You’re kidding, right? Exotics were supposed to be the be-all-end-all and then they decided to create yet another time and gold sink as if their game wasn’t grindy enough already. This is not content.

Guild missions are nice, but it’d be even better if small to medium guilds could actually participate.

I’m not even going to touch on the Jungle Wurm because the last thing we need is more world bosses.

I’d like to see some updates that actually add some depth to this game. New utility skills please and some new elite skills; three per profession is far too few. Or how about some new weapon sets for each class? Or, you know, considering that this is Guild Wars 2, I’d love to see some actual GvG functionality implemented.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

(edited by Flytrap.8075)

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

Ha ha. I agree with you OP. I’ve been gone for over a year, and came back to the same zones, same number of levels, same way to get gear etc. Seems like most of the changes have been PvP related.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

Posted by: Schizo.1375

Schizo.1375

How about…
Edge of the Mist map
Aetherblade dungeon path
Southsun map
New FOTM maps
New Ascended gear
Guild Missions
Any number of activities
New Jungle Wurm

EotM had potential but the fact that it doesn’t contribute to WvW means that it’ll remain barren.

The fractal updates are a start in the right direction, but I honestly don’t PvE that often so I can’t really comment.

Ascended gear? You’re kidding, right? Exotics were supposed to be the be-all-end-all and then they decided to create yet another time and gold sink as if their game wasn’t grindy enough already. This is not content.

Guild missions are nice, but it’d be even better if small to medium guilds could actually participate.

I’m not even going to touch on the Jungle Wurm because the last thing we need is more world bosses.

I’d like to see some updates that actually add some depth to this game. New utility skills please and some new elite skills; three per profession is far too few. Or how about some new weapon sets for each class? Or, you know, considering that this is Guild Wars 2, I’d love to see some actual GvG functionality implemented.

Edge of the Mists is only barren if on a smaller server. For people on larger servers trying to get into WvW this is nice. And why does it have to add to WvW to be good? If we just keep making the map bigger people get more spread out. WvW is already large enough and EotM serves its purpose. Allows people to get into WvW when they want and in a more casual sense if that is what they want.

Exotic still is the end all be all. The difference in stats is insignifant when it comes to character build and personal skill. The goal of ascended gear is just there for those that like these sorts of goals. If you don’t like it, don’t do it.

There was mention of world bosses in OP so I mentioned it. And its new content whether your opinion decides it is necessary for others or not.

The game does have depth and adding more novelty to the game keeps players on the surface of content rather than diving deeper into it and exploring.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

How about…
Edge of the Mist map
Aetherblade dungeon path
Southsun map
New FOTM maps
New Ascended gear
Guild Missions
Any number of activities
New Jungle Wurm

Its not because you don’t like that content that its not content.

Edge of the Mist map : I’m not a fan, but i tried it a couple time and i play more and more on that map. Its different from WvW and its a good thing.
New FOTM maps : Since i PvE player, its was nice to have new maps in there.
New Ascended gear : Agree that this is not content. I would be happy with all exotic to be honest.
Guild Missions : That would be nice if two small guild could make an alliance to complete these missions. Anyway, that pushed us to grow a bit more as a guild and to integrate more people into our little group and now we have a healthy medium size guild that do all guild mission each week with 12-18 ppl each time.
New Jungle Wurm : I passed 2 weeks with TTS to get him down the first time. It was freaking awesome. I would like more content like that, but they also need to balance between these Mega World boss that need much more coordination and normal world boss that can be done on a regular basis by pugs groups.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

sonicwhip.9052

I never said it didn’t need new content.

I was simply pointing out the difference between content and features. Many seem to not understand the basic differences, nor do they seem to understand that Anet distinctly called the next patch a feature patch, and directly stated that they would be separating content / features patches and that the upcoming feature patch would not have new content.

Beyond that, I enjoyed the previous LS for the most part. Including Scarlet and her crazy shenanigans. I look forward to the next LS season. I also look forward to hunting down and beating Mordremoth senseless. All in due time though.

The new content listed on the guildwars 1 website is referred to as gameplay “features” I think features can mean almost anything that is added new to a game.

Posted by: Dystopiq.5218

Dystopiq.5218

Instead of complaining about not having features I’ll just post somethings I would love to see added.

The rewards tracks they added for spvp? Something like that for maps in PvE. The more events you do or champions you kill it fills a progression bar which unlocks rewards. Maybe crafting mats. Maybe a skin. Something. It will give us a reason to visit maps.

Random Legendary boss spawns in all maps with maybe an unique Armor Set or some kind of reward.

A bounty system outside of the Guild One for parties. Not solo, It has to be parties. Maybe add tokens and a store to buy things.

Some Life Sim things. Fishing, maybe farming. People do like doing these things. This is an MMO, let’s add MMO features. Maybe add Cooking 500 along with this and fishing and Farming will be integral to it. Maybe a fishing tournament every month with unique titles and rewards.

A Queen’s Gauntlet coliseum type thing. Single or Party with Leaderboards.

This game has so much potential and it saddens me when it remains untapped. The game made 115.9 Million USD for 2013. Let’s put some of those funds to good use.

Posted by: Azure Moonfire.7493

Azure Moonfire.7493

Don’t you think it’s a little early to be complaining about this? The game is just nearing two years old. To compare, WoW didn’t get it’s first expansion pack (which is basically what you’re asking for: level cap extension, new explorable areas, new classes/races, etc.), the burning crusade, until WoW had been live for almost three years. Granted, they announced it before then, and it is weird that ANet hasn’t even mentioned ideas on an expansion yet, but I seriously doubt they would honestly make an MMO on this scale and then just never release anything analogous to a true expansion.

Patience is a virtue. I’m sure it’s coming at some point, so don’t freak out because it’s not here RIGHT NOW.