When do people start playing in parties?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lord Sinclair.6730

Lord Sinclair.6730

I just started playing the game an hour ago and fairly new to mmorpg’s in general. At my level quests are still fairly easy. At what point do people usually start teaming up to complete quests in groups? How would you approach someone and ask them to team up with you?

Posted by: Vyrulisse.1246

Vyrulisse.1246

I’m kinda new too and it seems like that sort of thing is reserved for Dungeons and whatever Fractals are… in the open world it just seems people team up by chance or when you have shared goals without actually partying up.

Posted by: Phyllo.3174

Phyllo.3174

In the open world no one really does unless your in a guild or just wanna party whit people u know the buffs u put out do go to your party members first so there’s that reason to do it in the open world if your in a zerg i guess There’s no real need to outside of dungeons and fractals

The very first recorded versions of Phyllo Dough are in Turkish cuisine.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

I’ve never teamed up outside of doing dungeons and I’ve been playing this game since beta.
The game works in a way that you don’t need to team up outside of dungeons/pvp. Your buffs will buff other players around you even when you’re not in a group. I do believe that your buffs will give party members priority over non party members in the open world though.
The hearts and dynamic events are always very easy, even up to level 80 zones if you keep your gear updated to near your level. Even the newer zones that most would classify as being the hardest, mobs die within a few seconds when properly geared in berserker.
If you came from any other mmo, you will realize that the PvE is very easy in GW2.

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

Playing in a party is awesome. It is fun and in some cases it can help to get a drop from World Bosses. No open world content requires a party though. Any player near can help complete stuff.

But parties are fun.:)

Posted by: Kentaine.4692

Kentaine.4692

Dungeons (start at 25 I think), the more difficult personal story steps (more noticeable in Season 2 than anything before), Fractals, Zerging/roaming in WvW, and world bosses are typically better done in parties for various reasons.

As for hearts and world exploration, rarely. There is, of course, always the partying to play with a friend aspect however. I typically party with friends who are clearing the same map as me to give a social side to the exploration.

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

you can party up from level 2 onwards

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

When they add the QoL ability to join parties for events like Rift’s had for years now I suppose.

Some people might tell you to go find a guild though.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Vyshan.2345

Vyshan.2345

I’ve never once joined a party for anything other than roleplay…

Posted by: papaiggy.1345

papaiggy.1345

People only party up for fractals, dungeons, pvp, wvw, and world events.

Posted by: Trevor Bennett

Trevor Bennett

Gameplay Programmer

Personally, I played the entire game solo. There is never a requirement to group up outside of dungeons and fractals. That said, playing with a group on most anything can really enrich your experience. I highly encourage you to find a guild of people you get along with and play with them doing whatever.

Posted by: Avascar.9237

Avascar.9237

Usually people start forming parties to complete events and such at high level areas such as Orr and the Silverwastes, where it’s incredibly difficult to complete them solo, however is not required.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

We use it mostly for the party chat. There is a tendency to swap characters and we don’t like losing the chat with every swap.

Posted by: Eiffel.8937

Eiffel.8937

at least at world boss fights you should party up
it helps with getting back into the map you were on when you got disconneced
and at some bosses it helps to get loot of the boss directly which is nearly impossible if you have no party cause of not contributing enough to the fight
that said overall you get much more loot when you fight when in a party
you have to be in a party
just staying close together killing the same stuff wont help
if you want more loot
as there is somekind of mechanism when you are in a party
the dmg you deal and what your party deals
count for you as your fight contribution so more loot
well at least if your other party members are not doing way less dmg than you

You can try this pretty easily in WvW
when you are in a party running around with the zerg
and you can get one or two hits on an enemy before he is dead
you will get xp and loot
if you are not in a party and get only one or two hits on that enemy
you may not only get no loot but often you wont even get xp
because you at your own did not contribute enoug to the fight
while being in party your contribution and a party of what your party members did
nettet enough to your contribution to get xp and loot
of course not every monster or enemy drops loot even when in a party

(edited by Eiffel.8937)

Posted by: metaldude.4132

metaldude.4132

Personally, I played the entire game solo. There is never a requirement to group up outside of dungeons and fractals. That said, playing with a group on most anything can really enrich your experience. I highly encourage you to find a guild of people you get along with and play with them doing whatever.

Trevor..by “the whole game” do you also mean your personal story ? I thought the last phase couldn’t be done solo, hence my question

Sharpen your justice. Dust off resolve. Brace your courage. The Guardian dragonhunter approaches.

Posted by: Saucermote.9140

Saucermote.9140

Unfortunately there is a group dungeon (Arah Story) that is required to clear out that green star in the upper right corner of the screen on each of our characters to finish out the Personal Story.

You don’t win friends with Salad.

Posted by: haresean.3856

haresean.3856

No.

Posted by: Fred Fargone.3127

Fred Fargone.3127

Well, this is just me, but while you can get stuff like, “Been there, done that” (which to some would be “beating the game”, other way would be finishing the personal story I suppose), entirely solo, I occasionally team up with random people to clear maps, as it’s faster that way.

People who can argue often offer a good and meaningful conversation about the subject.
People who can’t tend to call the opponent troll, scream something utterly incomprehensible
and finally result to personal insults.

Posted by: Vyncy.2735

Vyncy.2735

In the very first region you explore there will be a world boss, which is imposible to defeat solo and there will always be a lot of people there to defeat it. You won’t be in a party with them but you will be working together to defeat it.
Same thing for some events, there will be people doing it at the same time as you, and you will be working together.

Forming parties of five is required for dungeons, which start at level 30

Posted by: BooHud.2681

BooHud.2681

Personally, I played the entire game solo.

I’m glad to hear this and hope the game continues to provide many avenues for solo play. As much as I enjoy spending time with my guild mates, I equally love spending time alone in GW soaking up all it has to offer.

We live in a beautiful world – yea we do, yea we do

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Correction:

Personal Story Chapter Victory or Death forces you into a party.
Unless you are counting that as a dungeon?

But yes, have fun, meet new people, have a great time. You don’t need to party up for most things (I never did understand why people do it for world bosses and the like…) and can pretty much do what you want running around by yourself.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

Hey!

Your current build is bugged on multiple levels and some aspects are downright broken. You’ve also got an entire class that is useless. Can you start working on that?

Thanks!

Whenever people wonder why the devs participate in the forums less and less, remember this post.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Zygil.1276

Zygil.1276

The social aspect is what drives most to play a MMO. Whether you play with others or by yourself, you wish to immerse yourself in a social setting. I like to observe how other players interact while I play.

I often play alone unless I “need” a group. If I see anyone nearby that asks for help or a question, I am more than happy to be of assistance if able. Map completion is far more enjoyable if you even have just one person to adventure with. My perfect setting is to team up with one other and duo a much content as possible. Sometimes trios too.

Even the most loner of wolves seek a pack at some point. I am picky with who I party with as I do like my game play to be fun and easygoing, but I like skilled allies when it comes to the challenges. I do appreciate when I can assist with one on one mentoring though.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I used to but I found that certain things won’t drop at all unless you are grouped with is a problem with the rewards system for some accounts. For example, I was playing with others during events and when we weren’t in groups together we discovered we didn’t get rewards save for the 1 mandatory daily exotic/rare. However, the moment we grouped suddenly it was like the algorithm unlocked and allowed loot to come through.

This game is in severe need of an open world auto-group feature for events. I can’t tell you how awesome that system was in Rift when I played Rift, there was a button at the top of your screen that allowed you to temporarily group with people in order to do the event, then after you were done you simply clicked on the button the group interface to leave.

It was nice because no one was left out, everyone was equally rewarded and you didn’t have to worry about outdated UI throwbacks from 2004 left out of date by people who want to force a certain gameplay style on everyone. (where you absolutely have to be in a guild constantly and group for every event on a schedule.

I’d personally love to see this and the full zone map event notification come to this game, it’s something that’s part of everyday mmo life now. (I say the map thing but correct me if I’m wrong because I thought I saw that there was a map notification on one of the maps but not on the other maps while I was running around in Tyria a few days ago.).

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Dungeons, Fractals, sPvP, and WvW are pretty much the only times i party unless im being a taxi for guild missions.

Never once had an issue for credit for world events so never saw the point of partying there.

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

With the quality of last patch I’d rather see them working on patches instead of answering your “which quaggan is the cutest?” questions. I mean come on, even the bugs which we learned to live with are bugged. The bugs are bugged, dude.

In Trevor’s defence, it was outside office hours. After a long day of work, “which quaggan is the cutest?” is exactly what he needs. :p

As for partying, when you find yourself playing alongside someone in the open world try to make a comment on their armor, on the pregenerated weather or the events you’re doing.
Some people tend to randomly invite the ones near them, which is okay with me, but then not saying anything does kind of make it awkward.

Just think of it as meeting people at a pub… without the pub, and with people interested in gaming. (hopefully)

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik