When is Shadow Trap gonna be useful?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lithril Ashwalker.6230

Lithril Ashwalker.6230

aside from the countless threads on reddit/the forums here complaining about the terrain/line of sight issues and how it SHOULD operate like a mesmer portal to function correctly its been going on since release!

placing a shadow trap that has 10k range and a cooldown should probably take into consideration between that 10k “trebuchet range” there will be a terrain mesh issue / a small obstacle that would only allow you to shadowstep back 2 inches. What happened to Pathfinding in these new games?!

Dayz has pathfinding zombies that can determine the best fastest route to get to a player and guild wars 2 cant take you the maximum distance it possibly can?!?

there are several “dead” skills in this game and Shadow Trap is one of them.

Make it work like mesmer portal, give it a timer to countdown for it to be used etc like entre has so we know how long we have to use it/let it trigger – etc

i actually took a break from this game for months to SEE if i could come back and see the bug fixes yet all i see is a few buffs/debuffs…if we want the meta to shift at all, then something needs to be done about these dead skillz

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

Two points:

One, this is not a “new” game in which pathfinding is mystically worse than an “older” game like Day-Z. In fact, GW2 predates Day-Z by a year, and is built on the GW1 engine which is older, and influences some of the systems, likely including the servers.

Two, pathfinding is actually one of the most difficult problems available, and the best known algorithms without pre-processing give `O(|E||log(V)|)` complexity without preprocessing, and are not guaranteed to find the optimal route.

So while it is absolutely possible that pathfinding and, in this case, “legal traversal path” validation, could potentially be improved in GW2, don’t mistake your ability to do it fast and efficiently for the ability of a computer to do so.

This is one of the problems that keeps the best and brightest CS people in the world up nights trying to figure out how to do better.